HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Timonen on difference between Flyers and Rangers: “The goalie”

Old
02-06-2012, 05:49 PM
EvilAsh
Lockouts Rule!

vCash: 500
Timonen on difference between Flyers and Rangers: “The goalie”

I didn't see this posted yet but here is an interesting article taken after yesterday's loss to the Rangers.

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2...rs-the-goalie/

Quote:
The same cannot be said for Flyers defenseman Kimmo Timonen.

Following Sunday’s 5-2 loss to the New York Rangers, Timonen took a rare — and pointed — shot at his teammate, Ilya Bryzgalov.

“I thought we played a decent game — it didn’t go our way,” Timonen said following the Flyers’ fourth straight loss against the Rangers. So, what was the major difference in the game?

“The goalie,” he replied.

That quote is obviously in reference to the canyon-sized discrepancy in shot-stopping between Bryzgalov and New York’s Henrik Lundqvist.

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 02-06-2012 at 07:04 PM.
EvilAsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 06:01 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

Meh. I doubt that players live in some fantasy that "our goalie is teh best in the league!!!!11!!!!!1". There isn't much doubt that Thomas or Lundqvist are better than Bryz. IMO they're the top two goalies in the league.

Should he have said that? I don't know. It depends how Bryz will respond to it. He knows he was brought in for a reason, and knows that he's not fulfilling that need.

Also, he didn't literally blame him for that specific loss. He said that the goalie play was the biggest difference between the elite teams and the Flyers. So I disagree with the thread title.

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 06:05 PM
Flyrs21

Where does he blame Bryz for the game?

Flyrs21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 06:08 PM
EvilAsh
Lockouts Rule!

Yeah, it is easy to take this story the wrong way but the journalist put ("Following Sunday’s 5-2 loss to the New York Rangers, Timonen took a rare — and pointed — shot at his teammate, Ilya Bryzgalov.") in the story.

EvilAsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 06:13 PM
dingbathero
No Jam? How about PB

It is all abot perception in how you read something. Sure it could have been implied.

From my stance, the team has to hold each other accountable. Bryz has shown that at times as well as others. It's no fun when losses pile up - which seem magnified now that we are getting closer to the PO's

With all the Rooks in the lineup it's amazing we are where we are. Having said that, I think it is VERY impt for the team to look at one another time to time and say 'hey pull up your boots' if the effort isn't there, or they feel like giving someone an extra push.

Whether or not Kimmo said this to cause a stir (which is no his M.O.) I'm sure he certinaly is pissed off at how the team is playing in front of Bryz. Bryz looked great from what I saw against the Rags - minus goals 2 and 3 - BUT he HAS to be BETTER overall. I think he knows that. A GK can't be better if the team in front of him doesn't come together.

dingbathero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 06:27 PM
Hollywood Couturier

I interpret "the goalie" as Lundqvist. Has nothing to do with Bryz.

"I Came Here To Bury Caesar, Not Praise Him" - Roy Halladay
Hollywood Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 06:30 PM
Dooley36

I think he's more saying that Hank had an unbelievable game. And he did. He seems like he always does. I don't think he was trying to put down Bryz, thats not like Kimmo.

Dooley36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 06:46 PM
Tim Tebow

Stupid remark by Timonen.

Bryz let in some crappy goals but by no way did they play a decent game. The Rangers outshot the Flyers 37-23. Lundqvist wasn't amazing but he wasn't bad ether. Plus the final goal scored on Bryz came after Carle passed the puck to a Ranger like some color blind guy. The Flyers had numerous other turnovers all game. People like Schenn and Giroux couldn't hit the open net. The Flyers gave up 6 powerplays and Bryz did hold his own in those with 10 saves on 10 shots.

I am not praising Bryz but only an idiot would think the Flyers skaters had a decent game. They played terribly.

Tim Tebow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 06:49 PM
DickTony

This is media fodder and ****** journalism. The difference WAS the goalie; Lunqvist. Jesus.

DickTony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 07:06 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1337
Since it is a "news article" that is generating the topic of discussion, it is best to use the headline issued as the subject title. Therefore, it is changed.

Commenting on the article or quotes is fine.

MiamiScreamingEagles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 07:07 PM
2minutes4slashing

Bryz= not cut out for playing in a city like Philadelphia , period.

2minutes4slashing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 07:27 PM
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers

The Rangers also play better team defense.

Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 07:29 PM
Cmoneyflyguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Couturier View Post
I interpret "the goalie" as Lundqvist. Has nothing to do with Bryz.
Exactly

Cmoneyflyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 07:29 PM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Tebow View Post
Stupid remark by Timonen.

Bryz let in some crappy goals but by no way did they play a decent game. The Rangers outshot the Flyers 37-23. Lundqvist wasn't amazing but he wasn't bad ether. Plus the final goal scored on Bryz came after Carle passed the puck to a Ranger like some color blind guy. The Flyers had numerous other turnovers all game. People like Schenn and Giroux couldn't hit the open net. The Flyers gave up 6 powerplays and Bryz did hold his own in those with 10 saves on 10 shots.

I am not praising Bryz but only an idiot would think the Flyers skaters had a decent game. They played terribly.
I do not know.. That save on Schenn looked pretty amazing to me. He also stopped Jagr on semi break away. You are wrong... Schenn did hit the net but Lundqvist made a save

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 08:09 PM
Tim Tebow

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitroglycerin View Post
I do not know.. That save on Schenn looked pretty amazing to me. He also stopped Jagr on semi break away. You are wrong... Schenn did hit the net but Lundqvist made a save
Pardon me. Let me rephrase it.

If Schenn didn't botch the original pass with a wide open net from a great angle giving Lundqvist time to sprawl back across as Schenn drifted to a harder angle.

Even if I was to give you that though do you still think the Flyers skaters played well?

- Giroux misses open net
- Schenn double clutches on open net
- Flyers give up 37 shots
- Carle sets up the Rangers 4th goal
- Numerous other defensive zone turnovers

These aren't things you can give the skaters a pass on. Good teams don't turn the puck over, good teams don't give up 37 shots a game, good teams take advantage of golden scoring opportunities.

This was not Lundqvist outplaying Bryz in some even matched game. The Rangers outplayed the Flyers at every position.

Tim Tebow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 08:26 PM
Dooley36

I honestly don't see how anyone can try to make the argument that Lundqvist had a bad game. He and the flyers defense have been the biggest factor in all the rangers wins over us this year.

Dooley36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 08:47 PM
Larry44

I saw this last night, it's a longer full Kimmo quote in a Sarah Baicker piece, and it's definitely a shot at Bryz.

http://www.csnphilly.com/hockey-phil...496&feedID=695

“They play the same system, it's not a surprise to us,” Kimmo Timonen said. “They block a lot of shots, but everybody’s blocking a lot of shots. We can do a couple of things better, but when they break down, their goalie makes saves.”

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 08:53 PM
Bernie Parent 1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post

“but when they break down, their goalie makes saves.”
then tell your TEAM MATES to not 'break down' as much, or as bad, instead of blaming a goalie for not covering for you

Bernie Parent 1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 09:11 PM
toughfighter83*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
I saw this last night, it's a longer full Kimmo quote in a Sarah Baicker piece, and it's definitely a shot at Bryz.

http://www.csnphilly.com/hockey-phil...496&feedID=695

“They play the same system, it's not a surprise to us,” Kimmo Timonen said. “They block a lot of shots, but everybody’s blocking a lot of shots. We can do a couple of things better, but when they break down, their goalie makes saves.”

timonen would not throw a teammate under the bus, this is all the media blaming the goalie and turning around like he was saying that. unless there's video evidence of that statement of him saying that, this article is bs.

i watched the whole game bryz was standing on his head and keeping them in the game the whole time including breakdowns, he kept stopping them until second period it got to him, you cant have these breakdowns, there are no excuses, bryz cant save them all, defense has to step up, bob and bryz are going to have rough games if they dont.

toughfighter83* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 09:11 PM
BringBackStevens

He's 100% right

The rangers played a better game but the goaltending difference is why they weren't able to walk away with at least a point

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 09:14 PM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Tebow View Post
This was not Lundqvist outplaying Bryz in some even matched game. The Rangers outplayed the Flyers at every position.
ok, not his fault you say. It is a teams game? Right?

Still, **** this type of goaltending. We had Boucher doing this type of **** for nothing. What are we doing here. I do not understand.

Old
02-06-2012, 09:19 PM
BringBackStevens

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitroglycerin View Post
ok, not his fault you say. It is a teams game? Right?

Still, **** this type of goaltending. We had Boucher doing this type of **** for nothing. What are we doing here. I do not understand.
And this is where the bryz defenders' arguments fall flat. Surely Boucher or leighton couldn't possibly put up a worse stat line. So that being the case, what are we paying for? If its all the D's fault and the goalie can't do anything about it, then why bother paying for a goalie?

One way it's a bad decision to fork up the cash in the first place and the other way it's a player simply not performing. Either way this is a **** up.

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 09:21 PM
JVR21
G

Kimmo speaks the truth.

JVR21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 09:25 PM
Kaktus*

Smith just made a save against serious deflection on Bertuzi.

Maybe we should purchase Coyotes system?

Old
02-06-2012, 09:34 PM
toughfighter83*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackStevens View Post
And this is where the bryz defenders' arguments fall flat. Surely Boucher or leighton couldn't possibly put up a worse stat line. So that being the case, what are we paying for? If its all the D's fault and the goalie can't do anything about it, then why bother paying for a goalie?

One way it's a bad decision to fork up the cash in the first place and the other way it's a player simply not performing. Either way this is a **** up.

so you are saying turnovers, bad defense is ok? what planet are you on? anything to blame goalies, it's a team game, blaming one player wont change anything. the problem is you want a cup and they pay him all this money just to be superman in your delusional mind, well great goalies have bad years, both goalies are struggling so what's your solution? get another one? no!!! it will not solve anything, they need to stop turning the puck over and tighten the d, great goalies cant play with bad defense. what's your issue, do you hate him or something?

look it doesnt matter what goalie comes here, it's the same problem.

toughfighter83* is offline   Reply With Quote