HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sens may never win cup with martin...so says strachan

Closed Thread

Old
10-30-2003, 06:17 AM
SENSfreak_03

vCash: 500
Sens may never win cup with martin...so says strachan

http://www.canoe.ca/NewsStand/Ottawa...30/241096.html

consider the source, but there are some good points, and some not so good ones.

Old
10-30-2003, 06:27 AM
discostu

Quote:
Originally Posted by SENSfreak_03

I've been a critic of Martin in the past, but I think we're at the point where it's very hard not to give him the benefit of the doubt.

Having your offence open up is not the best solution to beat the Devils. They prey on teams that do that. You have to beat them at their game. The Sens came close, but couldn't beat them last year. We'll be better at it this year.

I don't mind Strachan stretching for a story. This team needs a few people in the media criticizing them a little. The constant praise can't be good for maintaining a mental edge, however, there isn't much too worry about in this case. Ottawa has one of the most feared offensive attacks in the league in an era where goal-scoring continues to decline.

Old
10-30-2003, 06:38 AM
Observer

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SENSfreak_03

What good points?

His take on things is way off. You got to love his reason for that loss to NJ last year - that goes beyond 'way off' to 'ten galaxies over'.

Also, consider his accolades to the Leafs for beating those same 'weak sisters'. The guy isn't even consistent in his writing. He writes (and he's always written) with the intention of riling people up.

Wouldn't let something like that bother you or influence your thinking. Al Strachan is not a reliable source or solid analyst for hockey matters.

Bad timing for his little article too; Canada Press released a couple today indicating that the Sens are actually one of the two champions of fire-wagon hockey.

If I didn't think he was just $hit-disturbing, I would have guessed that Al was trying to free-up Martin for the Leafs. LOL. Fact is, 5 seconds after the Sens let Jacques Martin go (kow), he'd be employed by some other NHL team. He's that good. He's got what it takes to lead this team to the Cup.

Old
10-30-2003, 06:43 AM
nucks2001

vCash:
Strachan is as bad as Garrioch just higher profile

Old
10-30-2003, 07:07 AM
Dr.Sens(e)

It's a fair subject to bring up, but Strachan's points are way off.

If he wanted to criticize Martin in the New Jersey series, it was the first four games where Ottawa was off. He has it backwards.

He says "the Senators' season came to an end when the offence sputtered against New Jersey. The forwards couldn't get the job done and the Devils knew it. They sat back and waited for one of the defencemen to try to make up for that deficiency by taking an ill-advised gamble. And why not? The longer the series went, the more the Ottawa defencemen gambled. And eventually, the strategy paid off for New Jersey."

The fact is, the longer the series went on, the more trouble the Devils had generating offence and the more the Sens controlled play. It was a tough series, but to suggest the Sens lost it in the latter half of the series is simply not an accurate reflection of how things transpired.

The series was lost when they lost 3 of the first 4 games. No matter how well you play against a team like the Debs, you can't expect to win three playoff games in a row with the way they play. They'll play you tight every game, and even if you outplay them in each game, the bounces are bound to go their way in one of them. And still, the Sens were a hair from winning it all in the third period of the 7th game - a period they simply dominated.

Old
10-30-2003, 07:16 AM
Spezza

And of course the most obvious point to refute Strachan's theory is that it was a forward missing their assignment and giving up on Friesen that led to the winner.

Old
10-30-2003, 07:22 AM
Skrymir

IMO, Martin is one of the best coaches year in and year out. and there are very few tams that MArtin could not make better by eing their bench boss. Having said that, Strachan's topic may have been more relevant later in the year, if the sens go through a lengthy slump, or if they don't acheive their goal of the stanley cup this spring. Right now there is very little to complain about, and I don't see the logic in publishing an article like this.

Old
10-30-2003, 07:59 AM
o-dog

IMO, Martin makes a lot of the not-so-elite forwards better. Assuming the gifted offensive studs are Havlat, Hossa, Alfredsson and Spezza, the rest of the crew like Bonk, White, Fisher, etc., flourish under Martin.

I do wish that Martin would open it up a bit more because this team could put on some great offensive displays, however, has anyone noticed the recent poor defensive play where Lalime has been bailing the team out? That's great to see in the regular season, but Martin knows that you can't get away with that in the playoffs and the team has to strive for that kind of play all the time in order to be consistent when the time comes. I believe they can be resonsible defensively and still light up the scoreboard...they're that good.

Strachan is generally a waste of time more often than not. He's definitely an intelligent man and a decent writer, but his hockey sense is lacking 99% of the time, and when was the last time he said anything positive about anybody? Read any of his articles and he is always ripping apart his subject matter. Most of the time it's the Leafs and even they don't deserve that kind of vitriol. And some of the trade rumours he comes up with on After 40 mins would be ******** even by the standards that some of the idiots on this board pull out of their butt. Maybe he gets them from here thinking that this is a legitimate source instead of a message board...

Old
10-30-2003, 08:37 AM
Capt Tuttle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spezza
And of course the most obvious point to refute Strachan's theory is that it was a forward missing their assignment and giving up on Friesen that led to the winner.
It wasn't the forward's fault and it wasn't Redden's. Also, if they call the holding/interference on Hossa by Niedermayer, Ottawa goes on a PP.

As mentioned earlier by Dr Sens(e), the longer the series went the better the Sens got , contradicting what Strachan said. IMO, switch goalies and Ottawa wins. This is not a criticism of Patrick, only that Brodeur was better.

Strachan must like to make an ass of himself. He proves that everytime on the Satellite Hotstove with his rude habit of talking over the other panelists with inane arguments.

Old
10-30-2003, 09:19 AM
Hossa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Tuttle
It wasn't the forward's fault and it wasn't Redden's. Also, if they call the holding/interference on Hossa by Niedermayer, Ottawa goes on a PP.

As mentioned earlier by Dr Sens(e), the longer the series went the better the Sens got , contradicting what Strachan said. IMO, switch goalies and Ottawa wins. This is not a criticism of Patrick, only that Brodeur was better.

Strachan must like to make an ass of himself. He proves that everytime on the Satellite Hotstove with his rude habit of talking over the other panelists with inane arguments.
Also, the Sens hit a few posts in that third period. Hossa SO easily could have scored, but just didn't get any bounces. It's amazing to think how that game could have so easily gone our way.

Old
10-30-2003, 10:47 AM
gbl1p

Nice to see some emotion here, this board has been a little dry as of late! I lost attention in what Strachan had to say after his butchering of an attempt to recap game 7's schortcomings. The only decent thing about an article like this, as stated above, is that theres nothing wrong with a little healthy criticism.

I think Martin is the man to take this team to the top, but I must admit the seat would be a little hotter if, god forbid, he can't take this team to the finals this year. We're still getting a feel for the post-Johnston GM era in that Muckler is not shy with the press - he does not mind conveying his expectations through the media at all. I think he might start to push Jaques into a more offense oriented style of play, and let Lalime light up the back end.

Old
10-30-2003, 11:38 AM
Spezza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Tuttle
I wasn't wanting to mention names, but I do put some of the blame for that winning goal on Havlat. He just stopped skating. The point I was trying to make was that Strachan basicaly says our forwards shouldn't give a toss about defence.

That goal was an advert for forwards not backchecking.

Old
10-30-2003, 02:55 PM
SensGod

Send a message via MSN to SensGod
Everyone has stated more or less what I was thinking. This article just confirms the fact that Strachan is a bitter, jealous Leafs fan...I'm sorry...but if you want to start asking questions about which coach has the ability to take his team to the holy grail...what has the guy in his own back yard done?

the olympics don't count...that was all Gretzky...and Martin was coaching on that team too...

Old
10-30-2003, 03:06 PM
Capt Tuttle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spezza
I wasn't wanting to mention names, but I do put some of the blame for that winning goal on Havlat. He just stopped skating. The point I was trying to make was that Strachan basicaly says our forwards shouldn't give a toss about defence.

That goal was an advert for forwards not backchecking.
I don't want to get into a peeing contest Spez, but I thought the goal was more a bad decision by Rachunek. As a fwd, you stay with the man until a D picks him up. Rachunek suddenly went towards what should have been Redden's man just as Havlat let up. Anyway, mistakes happen and none of us make mistakes sitting in the stands.

Old
10-31-2003, 07:40 AM
o-dog

[QUOTE=SensGod]Everyone has stated more or less what I was thinking. This article just confirms the fact that Strachan is a bitter, jealous Leafs fan...QUOTE]

Thing is, Strachan rips into the Leafs 10 times worse. His entire journalism style relies on creating negative reaction from supposition and rumour. And in this case, it's ignorance...his analysis of the series against NJ looks as if he didn't even watch it.

Old
11-03-2003, 05:09 PM
leaflover
New hope

vCash: 1000
[QUOTE=odiedog]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SensGod
Everyone has stated more or less what I was thinking. This article just confirms the fact that Strachan is a bitter, jealous Leafs fan...QUOTE]

Thing is, Strachan rips into the Leafs 10 times worse. His entire journalism style relies on creating negative reaction from supposition and rumour. And in this case, it's ignorance...his analysis of the series against NJ looks as if he didn't even watch it.
Exactly odie,Strachan thrives on controvery and when none is available he simply fabricates one.The most telling sign of his shortage of integrity though is the lack of respect shown him by his peers on satelite hotstove.He's constantly exposed on that HNIC segment for what he really is.

Old
11-06-2003, 07:33 PM
Rand

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensGod
This article just confirms the fact that Strachan is a bitter, jealous Leafs fan...I'm sorry...but if you want to start asking questions about which coach has the ability to take his team to the holy grail...what has the guy in his own back yard done?

I'm guessing you havent exactly been following Strachan over the last few years?

Suffice to say I firmly believe your a bigger Leafs fan then Strachan is, and last time I checked you generally werent exactly fond of the Leafs.

11-10-2003, 06:52 AM
sensens

I think there's a fundamental truth to this article that shouldn't be overlooked by picking apart the details that were provided.

Martin is quite accurately described here as a coach that arrived and transformed a very mediocre squad of players into a playoff team. He's an excellent defensive strategist, and seems to work extremely well with players who are able to be versatile and play on any given line on any given night.

And that's fine (if not great) when your roster isn't overly endowed with talent, but there's no question that this Sens team is nothing short of an elite team in terms of team skill.

I SERIOUSLY question Martin's ability to effectively handle players of this quality - both in terms of maximizing the productivity from their talent, and in terms of understanding what kind of motivation and emotional involvement is required at an elite level come playoff time.

My concerns along these fronts are increased dramatically with the loss of Roger Neilson. I found him to be the heart of the coaching staff, and perhaps the only person addressing these issues noticeably.

Old
11-10-2003, 07:58 AM
HF2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensens
My concerns along these fronts are increased dramatically with the loss of Roger Neilson. I found him to be the heart of the coaching staff, and perhaps the only person addressing these issues noticeably.
I was beginning to wonder how much of the Sens struggles right now are related to the loss of Roger Neilson. It's not that I think that they're emotionally distraught and suffering as a result, but it's more a case of missing his experience, knowledge and persona.

Closed Thread