HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Will Bryzgalov ever be worth his contract? All Bryz Discussion Here. Part Three

Closed Thread

Old
02-06-2012, 08:08 PM
Haute Couturier

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
You just knew he would give up a backbreaking goal or two per game.
He wasn't any worse than any goalie that has come after him though.

Old
02-06-2012, 08:18 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoopyten View Post
Part of it is his play, part of it is luck. He's had more than his share of goofy deflections. If you think that he simply forgot how to play goal after being one of the better goalies in the NHL for the past three or four years, then I really don't know what to say to you.

It's seems obvious that you're not looking at it objectively and that you're ignoring the prior 300+ games of his career that got him the big contract.

Unfortunately, the bad luck, the poor play and the shaky defense has combined to shake his confidence, which has hurt his game. His fundamentals are off. He's not out challenging shooters, and he's been caught cheating, expecting to have to be ready for a quick pass to an uncovered opponent standing all alone at the side of the net.

The level of play has been poor. Anybody that disputes that is a fool or completely biased themselves. But to ignore the other factors is just as bad and just as short sighted
I don't care about what he did prior to this year in a market where hardly any fans showed up and there was no media. I care about the crapfest we keep seeing from him game after game for the Flyers. He could have gone anywhere but he chose to sign here knowing there'd be a ton of pressure. I don't think he nor the Flyers did their homework and now we have yet another laugher in net. His apologists keep making excuses for him, when he's shown repeatedly he has fundamental flaws and mental lapses that we wouldn't expect from a rookie.

Old
02-06-2012, 08:58 PM
Bernie Parent 1974

yet, as sub-par as Bryz has been, the team is only 5 wins behind the Wings & 6 points out of #1 in the NHL.

the glass is half full to me. i'm supporting the Flyers and their goalie decision. I think stability will only come when Bryz knows that he's not gonna get pulled when he doesn't cover for 2 turnovers by the team. they were awful against both NJ & NYR defensively this weekend

Old
02-06-2012, 09:02 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Even though Bryz did give up 2 soft goals yesterday, doesn't mean the defense in front of him did well either. That give away by Carle for the 4th goal was just HORRENDOUS. Even though the 3rd goal was weak, the **** up of MAB really did not help things. 2nd goal was a combination of leakiness from Bryz and Mez stupidly chasing Gabby behind the net. The first goal couldn't be stopped. Didn't see the 5th goal though.

Old
02-06-2012, 09:14 PM
BringBackStevens

I wonder just how long bryz needs to put up league worst stats and let in 2 poor goals a game before the bryz fans finally admit this is a huge problem

Old
02-06-2012, 09:18 PM
toughfighter83*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackStevens View Post
I wonder just how long bryz needs to put up league worst stats and let in 2 poor goals a game before the bryz fans finally admit this is a huge problem

probably before you are off the flyers bandwagon which is nine years, so deal with it, dont like it, too bad.

Old
02-06-2012, 09:20 PM
hckyplayer8
He's Gone!

Quote:
The majority have already said give him the year lol.

Old
02-06-2012, 09:22 PM
BringBackStevens

Quote:
Originally Posted by toughfighter83 View Post
probably before you are off the flyers bandwagon which is nine years, so deal with it, dont like it, too bad.
Huh?

Old
02-06-2012, 09:56 PM
BernieParent

There's just no getting around that the horrendous GA is a both / and proposition. The team, particularly the defense, have to be significantly better. Carle's mess-up was monstrously bad, and the problem is it isn't an exception; not for him, not for the D.

However, the fact that Bobrovsky is looking much better than Bryzgalov behind the same Keystone Kops. And Bryz is consistently giving up bad goals at bad times. As MsWoof wrote, Bryz knew why his contract had so many zeroes and what he would be facing in Philadelphia. Now earn your money.

Old
02-06-2012, 10:16 PM
JABEE

Quote:
Originally Posted by toughfighter83 View Post
If he still sucks by year 2, he won't be playing. Period.

Old
02-07-2012, 01:40 AM
Readyrock
(・_・;)

See Mike Smith tonight?

Phoenix goaltenders are like Denver Broncos running backs of the 2000s. Statistical beneficiaries of a good system.

Last edited by Readyrock: 02-07-2012 at 01:46 AM.
Old
02-07-2012, 06:38 AM
Scoopyten

Quote:
Who hasn't admitted it's a big problem?

I'm a fan of the Flyers, which means I root for the Flyers. Ilya Bryzgalov is a member of the Flyers so I root for him to be successful. I root for anyone who pulls on a Flyers jersey to succeed.

I also try to look at every factor and be an informed fan before I simply blame everything on one guy. That's what an intelligent and rational person does.

Bryzgalov has to play better. There is zero doubt about that. His past track record in both Anaheim and Phoenix has shown that he can be a very good goalie. None of the issues the Flyers face defensively will start being solved until he starts playing better.

At the same time, it's foolish to blame everything that has gone wrong on him.

Old
02-07-2012, 06:40 AM
Scoopyten

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoof View Post
I don't care about what he did prior to this year in a market where hardly any fans showed up and there was no media. I care about the crapfest we keep seeing from him game after game for the Flyers. He could have gone anywhere but he chose to sign here knowing there'd be a ton of pressure. I don't think he nor the Flyers did their homework and now we have yet another laugher in net. His apologists keep making excuses for him, when he's shown repeatedly he has fundamental flaws and mental lapses that we wouldn't expect from a rookie.
If you don't care about what he did before, and if you're not willing to look at all the factors, then there's really nothing more I can say to you. You're not willing to be objective on Bryzgalov, and that's fine.

Old
02-07-2012, 06:44 AM
mirimon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
There's just no getting around that the horrendous GA is a both / and proposition. The team, particularly the defense, have to be significantly better. Carle's mess-up was monstrously bad, and the problem is it isn't an exception; not for him, not for the D.
Sums thing up pretty well, imo. We need some better backchecking from some of our forwards as well. It's too often that the opposing team can simply skate through the neutral zone without someone chasing them, which makes it a lot harder for the d's.

Old
02-07-2012, 07:01 AM
Scoopyten

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirimon View Post
Sums thing up pretty well, imo. We need some better backchecking from some of our forwards as well. It's too often that the opposing team can simply skate through the neutral zone without someone chasing them, which makes it a lot harder for the d's.
Team defense has been an issue all season long. The Giroux line, especially, has been awful in it's own end of late.

All of these are factors in the performance of the goaltenders. It's not just the goalies that have to play better, everyone has to play better.

Old
02-07-2012, 07:07 AM
MsWoof

Quote:
If you don't care about what he did before, and if you're not willing to look at all the factors, then there's really nothing more I can say to you. You're not willing to be objective on Bryzgalov, and that's fine.
The only thing I'm objective about is his play in orange and black. Our president paid him mega bucks so that he could end our goaltending issues. He accepted the contract and continuously craps the bed. For Kimmo to say what he did, you have to figure others are even more pissed off.

Old
02-07-2012, 07:17 AM
Scoopyten

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoof View Post
The only thing I'm objective about is his play in orange and black. Our president paid him mega bucks so that he could end our goaltending issues. He accepted the contract and continuously craps the bed. For Kimmo to say what he did, you have to figure others are even more pissed off.
You're not objective, period. Being objective means looking at the entire picture and the cause and effects of that big picture. Being objective is saying, "Why is he playing so poorly, and why is he getting caught cheating off the post?"

Not being objective is saying, "He signed a huge contract and was supposed to solve our goaltending problems and I don't care what factors are keeping him from doing so, because he sucks!"

As far as being angry, you think that Bryzgalov and Bobrovsky aren't pissed when they have to face breakdown after breakdown, because the team defense decided that they didn't need to work hard that shift? Timonen voices his anger and he's a leader. Bryzgalov complains about the defense once and he's throwing guys under the bus. Again, lack of objectivity.

Old
02-07-2012, 07:59 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Readyrock View Post
See Mike Smith tonight?

Phoenix goaltenders are like Denver Broncos running backs of the 2000s. Statistical beneficiaries of a good system.
Olandis Gary should be in the Hall of Fame.

Old
02-07-2012, 08:01 AM
hckyplayer8
He's Gone!

In his two games against NYR, Bryz has let in 4 goals on 24 shots and 4 goals in 37 shots.

In his two games against NYR, BOB has let in 2 on 32 shots and 3 on 33 shots.

I'm betting we see BOB Sat.

Old
02-07-2012, 11:01 AM
bennysflyers16

Quote:
Who hasn't admitted it's a big problem?

I'm a fan of the Flyers, which means I root for the Flyers. Ilya Bryzgalov is a member of the Flyers so I root for him to be successful. I root for anyone who pulls on a Flyers jersey to succeed.

I also try to look at every factor and be an informed fan before I simply blame everything on one guy. That's what an intelligent and rational person does.

Bryzgalov has to play better. There is zero doubt about that. His past track record in both Anaheim and Phoenix has shown that he can be a very good goalie. None of the issues the Flyers face defensively will start being solved until he starts playing better.

At the same time, it's foolish to blame everything that has gone wrong on him.
Blows my mind when none of the Bryz haters respond to posts like this Also main reason why I take none of them seriously. I haven't seen one person disagree with the bold, yet they get labelled Bryz lovers and defendants of every aspect of his game.

Old
02-07-2012, 11:16 AM
Scoopyten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennysflyers16 View Post
Blows my mind when none of the Bryz haters respond to posts like this Also main reason why I take none of them seriously. I haven't seen one person disagree with the bold, yet they get labelled Bryz lovers and defendants of every aspect of his game.
It's just how I see it.

I'm disappointed with the play of Bryzgalov. I'm sure that you are as well. I'm also positive that Ilya Bryzgalov is disappointed with his play.

Sitting back and saying he sucks is not productive.

Old
02-07-2012, 11:21 AM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

why should Bryzgalov be dissapointed in his play. after all all the goals he allows are not his fault. also and even if he did, one soft goal per game is also perfectly acceptable. ask some of the people around here. they will tell you that.

Old
02-07-2012, 11:28 AM
MrHockey1982

Quote:
It's just how I see it.

I'm disappointed with the play of Bryzgalov. I'm sure that you are as well. I'm also positive that Ilya Bryzgalov is disappointed with his play.

Sitting back and saying he sucks is not productive.

Bryz currently sucks. His past play has shown that he's better for sure. But there's no denying that at this point in this season, he SUCKS!!

Old
02-07-2012, 11:31 AM
xifentoozlerix

To add to that ^^, it also isn't productive to further hurt the goalie's confidence when some of the fans are being hyper-critical of his every move.

Old
02-07-2012, 11:36 AM
Flyerfan4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
why should Bryzgalov be dissapointed in his play. after all all the goals he allows are not his fault. also and even if he did, one soft goal per game is also perfectly acceptable. ask some of the people around here. they will tell you that.
well said..

since no matter how Bryz plays he gets a pass, im sure he could care less how many pucks slip past him according to some here..

i'd rather hold him responsible personaly. esp. if you factor in that huge paychek hes drawing

Closed Thread