HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Leafs,Kings,Hawks and Canucks are favourites for Nash

Old
02-07-2012, 12:14 AM
TLinden16
Horse

vCash: 545
Quote:
Originally Posted by jughead42 View Post
I would have absolutely no issue if the Leafs traded for Nash. That contract isn't as scary as people make it out to be, and he's good enough that in a new environment he would be worth it. If not, its worth a gamble that the new collective bargaining agreement will have more options to deal with bad contracts, or even a salary roll back similar to the last deal. That kid would come alive in Toronto.

If Toronto has enough to be the winning bid for Nash, I don't know. They probably want a goalie, and we have two that are playing pretty damn well right now. We also have a couple guys in the minors who could be close to being ready soon, meaning we could offer one of Reimer or Gustavson. They'd probably want a replacement on the wing, so one of Kulemin or MacArthur would fit the bill nicely. Because Nash is an elite allstar player who has many good years ahead of him, you'd need to sweeten the deal with a defenceman like Schenn or Franson. Throw in a top prospect or two like Kadri/Biggs/Percy/Colborne along with whatever draft picks, and the Leafs could make a good package that they could afford to give up.

Gustavson
Kulemin
Schenn
Kadri
Percy
1st round pick

Is this a good enough package? I think its a pretty big price to pay, but probably a fair deal worthy of a talent like Nash. I also think the Leafs could reasonably afford to pay it, more than LA, Chicago, or Vancouver could.
Needs more.

Jeez. You could probably get away with Kulemin/Kadri+Schenn.

TLinden16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 12:25 AM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoolChamp View Post
several garbage pieces sure. not to mention cap suicide in the coming years.
Actually Hawks could add alot at deadline if they wanted not garbage pieces as you put it

As for cap suicide ,, Cap hell maybe down line but it would be feasible for several years to fit Nash

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 12:35 AM
Sevanston

vCash: 500
Rick Nash is really the last kind of move the Hawks should be considering.

We already have three All-Star wingers, and are one of the highest scoring teams in the league. We're set for wingers.

Would much rather shore up on defense.

Sevanston is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 12:39 AM
Moore Money

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
Actually Hawks could add alot at deadline if they wanted not garbage pieces as you put it

As for cap suicide ,, Cap hell maybe down line but it would be feasible for several years to fit Nash

I guess they could if they really wanted to but how is that feasible? They are top heavy as it is now.

Moore Money is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 12:42 AM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
You would think but your GM doesn't exactly inspire confidence
When Howson loses a trade, it's subtle, not blatant.

Quote:
+ Dumping Nash's longterm cap hit would be something Jackets would probably desire
That'd be more of a "nice side effect" rather than a goal of any transaction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jughead42 View Post
Gustavson
Kulemin
Schenn
Kadri
Percy
1st round pick

Is this a good enough package?

Um. I think that would be more than sufficient, yes... although I think we'd run up against the pro contracts number limit there.

I can't imagine Leafs management giving up a package like that for anyone in the league, tho.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 12:45 AM
Marlo Stanfield
My Name Is My Name

vCash: 50
Still think Nash moves to a team that has ridiculous cap space (Isles, Colorado, Nashville)

Marlo Stanfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 12:54 AM
CrazyCanucks

Right. So 2 cup contenders in the Hawks and Canucks are going to gut their team to get Nash. And both are near the cap limit, so it would have to be 8 million going both ways. Not sure what the Hawks numbers are, but I would gather it would be something like Kane or Towes and or Seabrook or Keith and for the Canucks at least it would be Kesler and either Schneider or Hodgson and someone else. They ain't trading 1 Sedin, and nothing on the CBJ is worth 2 Sedins

Right. So you are going to basically gut your roster for proven players, for a guy who has played only 4 playoff games? The guy is soft and is not a proven leader and you want to trade your core for him??????

As Chris Berman says, C'MON MAN. I guess it is a slow month for Eklund that this rumour is hot.

I hate the Hawks, but even I wouldnt want this trade for them...

CrazyCanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 12:55 AM
Voodoo Child
Lǎobǎn

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyCanucks View Post
Right. So 2 cup contenders in the Hawks and Canucks are going to gut their team to get Nash. And both are near the cap limit, so it would have to be 8 million going both ways. Not sure what the Hawks numbers are, but I would gather it would be something like Kane or Towes and or Seabrook or Keith and for the Canucks at least it would be Kesler and either Schneider or Hodgson and someone else. They ain't trading 1 Sedin, and nothing on the CBJ is worth 2 Sedins

Right. So you are going to basically gut your roster for proven players, for a guy who has played only 4 playoff games? The guy is soft and is not a proven leader and you want to trade your core for him??????

As Chris Berman says, C'MON MAN. I guess it is a slow month for Eklund that this rumour is hot.
You really think it'd take Kane or Toews to get Nash?

Voodoo Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 12:58 AM
Doug19

Soft isn't the word I would use for Nash. Not hitting doesn't make him soft. He's always driving to the net and going through defenders, I wouldn't call that a soft. Not interested in hitting? That there is a pretty valid argument, he doesn't hit often.

Doug19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 01:01 AM
CrazyCanucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodoo Child View Post
You really think it'd take Kane or Toews to get Nash?
That trade doesn not get one without at least one of the following, Kane, Teows, Keith, Seabrrok or Sharp. It just isn't happening. This would be a bad trade for Hawks. It would be overpayment.

IU just done see why they would make this move at all. Same with the Canucks. Both have gone to the Cup Finals, they won it and we came within 1 game. You want to get rid of the core to get Nash?

So he is good with Team Canada, but hes not the player either team would sacrifice key proven parts for right now.

Last edited by CrazyCanucks: 02-07-2012 at 01:10 AM.
Old
02-07-2012, 01:05 AM
CrazyCanucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug61 View Post
Soft isn't the word I would use for Nash. Not hitting doesn't make him soft. He's always driving to the net and going through defenders, I wouldn't call that a soft. Not interested in hitting? That there is a pretty valid argument, he doesn't hit often.
For a power forward he is soft. Look at his size, he could be the best winger out there, but he does not play to his size. That is playing soft.

Old
02-07-2012, 01:16 AM
Cogburn

Quote:
That trade doesn not get one without at least one of the following, Kane, Teows, Keith, Seabrrok or Sharp. It just isn't happening. This would be a bad trade for Hawks. It would be overpayment.
Other wise there are no other players making more then minimum wage next year.

Canucks are the same way. Sedins at 6.1 each, Kesler at 5, Luongo at 5.33, Booth at 4.25, Hamhuis at 4.5, Bieksa at 4.6, Malhotra at 2.5 and raises soon due to Hodgson, Edler, Raymond, Schneider (assuming he doesn't move in the deal), Burrows and a whole to fill with Salo's eminent retirement (this off season or next)....36.88 tied up in 8 players, which isn't too bad, but with one player, assuming he hits 41 goals (his career high) and say 90 points, would add 7.8. 45.68 for 9 players, not counting smaller contracts, out of 65 million (assuming there is no rise in the cap ceiling or change in the CBA).

Add in players like Higgins, Hansen, Lapierre, Alberts, Rome, Raymond and Schneider who bring enough to be resigned, or will need to be replaced, and we're talking another 2 million or so each in salary, which is very conservative, and someone like Edler who I can see bringing in 5. 64.68 with 2 active roster holes to fill, plus any call ups or scratches, which we always run with. Sedin-Sedin-Nash would be a disgusting line. Even Sedin-Sedin-Burrows/Booth-Kesler-Nash. Terrifying. But unless there is a sizable (say 5 million dollar) rise in the cap and a best case scenario resigning active roster players, we don't have the space to field our team with Nash.

I don't know Chicago's cap or salary situation, but Kane, Toews, Sharp, Hossa, Keith, Seabrook and Hjalmersson makes for a tight fit to add 7.8 million to the budget either. Not to mention resignings of guys like Bolland and Crawford.

Nash brings alot, but his cap hit impedes Columbus' ability to move him at a fair rate.

Cogburn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 01:31 AM
ProstheticConscience
Dystemper

Hmm...Sedin-Sedin-Nash, Sedin-Sedin-Perry, Sedin-Sedin-Parise...anyone else seeing a trend in the rumours? Lots of salacious rumours designed to suck us all in to generating traffic. I swear, He Who Shall Not Be Named is like the TMZ for NHL trade rumours.

I'd rather get Perry than Nash any day. And it was still a fantasy.

But just to play Devil's advocate, to clear the space for Nash, a core star player making big money like Kes or Lu would have to go the other way or it's back to the ever-popular Raymond, Ballard, Schneider combination that everyone shoots down every time. It has the mix of decentish player, overpaid but usually not horrible dman and blue, blue, very blue chip prospect.

Of course, sure, the same tantalizing dream of seeing a bonafide Star Winger on the right side with the Sedins is still supposed to suck us all in, but we who actually watch the team know Burrows never gets the credit he should for what he does with the twins. Okay, lately that hasn't been a hell of a lot, but over the last two seasons, the elevation in play has been nowhere near as one-sided as some would like to think. The first line chemistry is something that really shouldn't be tinkered with if doing so handicaps the team somewhere else.

Nash's contract sinks the deal even if common sense doesn't.

ProstheticConscience is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 02:09 AM
CrazyCanucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cogburn View Post
Other wise there are no other players making more then minimum wage next year.

Canucks are the same way. Sedins at 6.1 each, Kesler at 5, Luongo at 5.33, Booth at 4.25, Hamhuis at 4.5, Bieksa at 4.6, Malhotra at 2.5 and raises soon due to Hodgson, Edler, Raymond, Schneider (assuming he doesn't move in the deal), Burrows and a whole to fill with Salo's eminent retirement (this off season or next)....36.88 tied up in 8 players, which isn't too bad, but with one player, assuming he hits 41 goals (his career high) and say 90 points, would add 7.8. 45.68 for 9 players, not counting smaller contracts, out of 65 million (assuming there is no rise in the cap ceiling or change in the CBA).

Add in players like Higgins, Hansen, Lapierre, Alberts, Rome, Raymond and Schneider who bring enough to be resigned, or will need to be replaced, and we're talking another 2 million or so each in salary, which is very conservative, and someone like Edler who I can see bringing in 5. 64.68 with 2 active roster holes to fill, plus any call ups or scratches, which we always run with. Sedin-Sedin-Nash would be a disgusting line. Even Sedin-Sedin-Burrows/Booth-Kesler-Nash. Terrifying. But unless there is a sizable (say 5 million dollar) rise in the cap and a best case scenario resigning active roster players, we don't have the space to field our team with Nash.

I don't know Chicago's cap or salary situation, but Kane, Toews, Sharp, Hossa, Keith, Seabrook and Hjalmersson makes for a tight fit to add 7.8 million to the budget either. Not to mention resignings of guys like Bolland and Crawford.

Nash brings alot, but his cap hit impedes Columbus' ability to move him at a fair rate.
And why do the Canucks go after a guy that is making 8 million that has not even hit a PPG in his career? If he came here, I and played the way he does in Columbus, he would get roasted by the media and fans.
The Twins make 6.1 each, but I would pay them the 8 million, cause they would have earned it. Since they signed, they each won an Art Ross and an MVP award. Kesler has won the Selke.

Seems kind of weird that he got a big bad cap hit long term deal when other superstars got the long term deals with good cap hits. Was he being selfish and the other superstars thinking about the team?

Old
02-07-2012, 02:11 AM
Gibson Les Palms

vCash: 814
What trade is eklund talking about? He just tweeted a whole bunch of stuff.

Gibson Les Palms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 02:17 AM
Dr Awesome
Bo "knows" Horvat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Jonsson View Post
Still think Nash moves to a team that has ridiculous cap space (Isles, Colorado, Nashville)
Would look good on a line with JT

Dr Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 02:20 AM
Cogburn

Quote:
And why do the Canucks go after a guy that is making 8 million that has not even hit a PPG in his career? If he came here, I and played the way he does in Columbus, he would get roasted by the media and fans.
The Twins make 6.1 each, but I would pay them the 8 million, cause they would have earned it. Since they signed, they each won an Art Ross and an MVP award. Kesler has won the Selke.

Seems kind of weird that he got a big bad cap hit long term deal when other superstars got the long term deals with good cap hits. Was he being selfish and the other superstars thinking about the team?
I am not advocating us trading for him, but as I said in my prior posts in this thread, if Gillis does it....well I'm going to ignore the cap factor. It's possible, with some very good luck, to fit him in, but we're handcuffed.

Even the Sedins....8 million is Crosby/Malkin/Ovechkin money. I'd begrudgingly pay it, but look at Spezza or Nash or Staal or most of Sather's "money" moves before Richards and Gaborik.

And I don't see it as that simple. Losing team, at the time would have been more worried about the cap floor then cap ceiling, and I'm positive another, even more successful team could have come close to that amount of money. Staal, Richards, Lecavalier, Spezza, Heatley, Kovalchuk (pre front loaded contract), Hossa (pre-Chicago), Semin, Lundquist, Gaborik (Minnesota or New York), Chara, Luongo (pre front loaded contract), Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Lidstrom, Pronger (pre front loaded contract) or other star, but not generational, players. Hell, look at Doughty or Weber now. The standard was, and has been set before the advent of front loaded contracts that drop 2 million off the cap hit by extending the length. 7.8 is what Richards was making in Tampa/Dallas for example, and there was a market for him when Tampa had to move him, even if it was in part because of his Conn Smythe award.

Cogburn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 02:39 AM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Awesome View Post
Would look good on a line with JT
Last I checked the Isles don't have the defensive depth necessary to make such a trade happen.

Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 02:49 AM
Edgeworth*

How the hell is Toronto a favorite for Nash?

We can't afford giving up Schenn at that term and contract number becuase of one year. We just signed JML so he isn't going anywhere, Gardiner will most likely play his career in Toronto (if he makes the NHL <3) so that leaves Komi, Aulie, Franson and co.

Basically: Nobody Columbus would want. Unless Burke is offering a giant picks package (which I hope not) combined with a promising defensive prospect like Gardiner, or even a guy like Percy, ontop of a roster player I don't see it happening. Nash is important to Columbus. If he moves it's because he wants to and despite being from Ontario I don't think Rick wants to be on the 7th seeded team in the East.

Edgeworth* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 03:32 AM
JuniorNelson

vCash: 894
Vancouver isn't even a fit, WTH?

JuniorNelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 03:43 AM
monster_bertuzzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClevelandJacketFan View Post
Nash is a franchise player by default. Not another team in the NHL would consider him a franchise player.
Disagree. He is still very respected around the NHL - Steve Yzerman made note of it when he selected team Canada. It's a guy who has never had support.

monster_bertuzzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 04:16 AM
Doug19

Quote:
For a power forward he is soft. Look at his size, he could be the best winger out there, but he does not play to his size. That is playing soft.
I guess without the puck he doesn't play to his size, but with the puck I have to disagree.

Doug19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 04:17 AM
A1LeafNation
Thanks Boston.

MacArthur (3.25)
Aulie (0.733)
Rynnas (1.95)
Draft Pick

For

Nash(7.8)

I have a feeling Nash is the new Phaneuf. Overpaid, but just needs a change in scenery

A1LeafNation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 08:12 AM
jimmythescot

Okay, normally I defend Eklund to an extent by saying that it is possible that teams are talking but can't reach a conclusion. It is a rumour after all.

But WHY would the Canucks be after Nash? They're already incredibly deep on the wings and couldn't afford to pay that cap hit.

jimmythescot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 08:39 AM
Skraut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgeworth View Post
How the hell is Toronto a favorite for Nash?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmythescot View Post
WHY would the Canucks be after Nash?
Quote:
Originally Posted by tp71 View Post
Yea, I don't see how Chicago could afford him.
SELECT City
FROM Teams
WHERE InPlayoffContention=TRUE
ORDER BY WebTraffic()
LIMIT 4;

Skraut is offline   Reply With Quote