Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > WHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Saskatchewan Minor Hockey Thread

Closed Thread

Old
01-22-2012, 10:19 AM
hockeylocker

vCash: 500
Took the big 10 minute cruise from the big city out to Martensville to catch Sask Valley and North East. I thought it was a good game with SV coming back from a 4-2score to tie the game at 4-4. As expected, Vipers got good games from Draude, Fiala, Schatz, and Ingram played his game in the net. I thought both Smallchild and Norrish were very effective on the blueline. Rothenburger skated well but was shut down.
For NorthEast, their top 6 forwards(Paziuk, Elder, Seaman, Grambo, Zary, Borstmayer) were counted on and delivered. As a group, they scored all 4 goals and probably should easily had 4-6 more but Ingram stoned them. While Fiske and Long didn't disappoint on North East's blueline, I thought little Regnier and Gerwing were just as good. Cresswell, like Ingram, had a strong game in net. Didn't look like North East had Amundrud dressed.
Not many games left, but looks like there is very good parity developing in the North.

Old
01-22-2012, 02:54 PM
dickiedunnwrotethis

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeylocker View Post
Took the big 10 minute cruise from the big city out to Martensville to catch Sask Valley and North East. I thought it was a good game with SV coming back from a 4-2score to tie the game at 4-4. As expected, Vipers got good games from Draude, Fiala, Schatz, and Ingram played his game in the net. I thought both Smallchild and Norrish were very effective on the blueline. Rothenburger skated well but was shut down.
For NorthEast, their top 6 forwards(Paziuk, Elder, Seaman, Grambo, Zary, Borstmayer) were counted on and delivered. As a group, they scored all 4 goals and probably should easily had 4-6 more but Ingram stoned them. While Fiske and Long didn't disappoint on North East's blueline, I thought little Regnier and Gerwing were just as good. Cresswell, like Ingram, had a strong game in net. Didn't look like North East had Amundrud dressed.
Not many games left, but looks like there is very good parity developing in the North.
Looking to provincials, and from what i saw with last night's game, i think NE wears SK Valley down in a 2 game series with their depth. Playing Draude/Fiala 45+ minutes a game against a team with depth, for me anyway, isn't a recipe for success. Then again, i've had issues with SV coaching philosophies for years now.

As for individual performances, Ingram was hands down the best player on the ice, robbing NE of at least 3 goals. Draude was at times dangerous (especially off the rush), but, like most of the SK Valley fowards, was largely contained. Rothenburger was consistently doing good things and i appreciated the way Fox-Zacharias plays a hard game. On D, Smallchild was solid and Norrish, in very limited minutes, played well.

Hard to pick out any one player amongst the NE forwards given the way they roll 3 lines, but one player that surprised me was Shumlanski. Played hard and created more than his share of good opportunities. Agree with your assessment of Regnier and Gerwing, Regnier especially, who other than some mismatch problems with Draude had a strong game.

Old
01-22-2012, 07:51 PM
chris2038
Rookie User

Hey all,

Just wondering what is up with North East's recent slow-down. At the Regina Challenge they absolutly dominated. In the semi's it took a 6 on 3 for Prarie Storm to score on them. After looking at the recent scores, I don't understand what's happening with them. Are they dealing with injuries?

My apologies if I appear ignorant. This is my first time observing sask hockey.

Old
01-23-2012, 09:32 AM
SaskRinkRat

I see the GSHL site is asking for input on joining the SBAAHL.

Anyone have any inside info on how likely that is to happen? I thought SHA wasn't going to "allow" them to join after they declined last year?

Old
01-28-2012, 11:16 PM
PokeCheck101

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaskRinkRat View Post
I see the GSHL site is asking for input on joining the SBAAHL.

Anyone have any inside info on how likely that is to happen? I thought SHA wasn't going to "allow" them to join after they declined last year?
This was a no-brainer. My guess is SMHA players and parents are tired of playing the same teams over and over and over. The evil SBAAHL is not as bad as SMHA makes it out to be. SMHA would be wise to reduce their teams to four, join the SMBAAHL. Travel is really not as bad as what people are making it out to be and let's face it, you want to play competitive hockey you travel. Getting 2-3 practices/week and you're games on weekends is a pretty good deal. In fact, when not playing on the weekend there's extra practice ice.... 3 full 20 min games with floods... As opposed to city wide where you're third period gets knocked down if you're pushing the time limit. Often ruining a great game.

Old
01-28-2012, 11:25 PM
PokeCheck101

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickiedunnwrotethis View Post
Looking to provincials, and from what i saw with last night's game, i think NE wears SK Valley down in a 2 game series with their depth. Playing Draude/Fiala 45+ minutes a game against a team with depth, for me anyway, isn't a recipe for success. Then again, i've had issues with SV coaching philosophies for years now.

As for individual performances, Ingram was hands down the best player on the ice, robbing NE of at least 3 goals. Draude was at times dangerous (especially off the rush), but, like most of the SK Valley fowards, was largely contained. Rothenburger was consistently doing good things and i appreciated the way Fox-Zacharias plays a hard game. On D, Smallchild was solid and Norrish, in very limited minutes, played well.

Hard to pick out any one player amongst the NE forwards given the way they roll 3 lines, but one player that surprised me was Shumlanski. Played hard and created more than his share of good opportunities. Agree with your assessment of Regnier and Gerwing, Regnier especially, who other than some mismatch problems with Draude had a strong game.
Coaching philosophies of SV? Not totally jumping on the SV band wagon but their head coach and his pre-decessor put through a fair number of good players through the Warman program. Like it or not, agree/disagree. I've seen these situations before and sometimes you pick from what's presented to you.... The best of what you got. Sometimes it is the parents who realize their kid is not going to see the ice alot BUT rather than playing tier II they sacrifice common sense for the sake of belonging and wearing a couple of "AA's" on a team jacket. Life is totally not fair and if the player truly wants to be a player, they will take the situation that is presented to them and make the most of it OR get on to a solid tier II program with great coaching and develop for the following season. We get too wound up with AA, AAA, etc, etc. Personally, if the parents understand fair is not equal, then carry on accordingly within reason. Many parents are accepting of this and use the analogy of life is not fair, earn your reward. Just a different opinion, but I do agree there is a limit and 2-3 shifts over the course of a period for example is not acceptable.

Old
02-05-2012, 03:56 PM
dickiedunnwrotethis

Quote:
Originally Posted by PokeCheck101 View Post
Coaching philosophies of SV? Not totally jumping on the SV band wagon but their head coach and his pre-decessor put through a fair number of good players through the Warman program. Like it or not, agree/disagree. I've seen these situations before and sometimes you pick from what's presented to you.... The best of what you got. Sometimes it is the parents who realize their kid is not going to see the ice alot BUT rather than playing tier II they sacrifice common sense for the sake of belonging and wearing a couple of "AA's" on a team jacket. Life is totally not fair and if the player truly wants to be a player, they will take the situation that is presented to them and make the most of it OR get on to a solid tier II program with great coaching and develop for the following season. We get too wound up with AA, AAA, etc, etc. Personally, if the parents understand fair is not equal, then carry on accordingly within reason. Many parents are accepting of this and use the analogy of life is not fair, earn your reward. Just a different opinion, but I do agree there is a limit and 2-3 shifts over the course of a period for example is not acceptable.
I'm not sure that introducing bantam draft success is really a good indicator of coaching talent. Take, for instance, Ryan Pilon. There's no doubt in my mind he's the most naturally gifted, polished defenseman to come out of Saskatchewan since Ryan Murray. Should the SV (formerly Warman) staff be given credit for that? Well, they did promote a system that helped to pad Pilon's stats, and it's likely that had some impact on his mid-season number 1 draft status. Then again, by the end of the season he had been so overplayed that he was maybe 80% the player he was at Christmas. All in all, i tend to give elite players most of the credit for their play and so i'm confident Pilon, Leverton, Forsberg et al would be approximately where they are now, regardless who they played for.

Bantam AA promotes itself as a developmental league. For all its players. Yes, there is always a tension between winning and player development, but ultimately coaches should be coming down on the side of the players - all the players - not their own resumes. Does that mean coaches shouldn't be able to shorten the bench during critical games or determine appropiate roles (eg, PP or PK) for their players? No, i'm not that pollyannaish. Most coaches who regularly roll three lines (and they are out there) will shorten their bench in the third period of a provincial or tournament game. It's accepted. And most parents i've seen are actually okay with this, even when it's their kid on the bench, because they feel they've been treated fairly by their coaches. But when your practices are focused on systems with little or no emphasis on individual skill development, when benches are shortened in the first week of the season so that some players are seeing 40+ minutes of hockey and others a mere 10 minutes, and with almost no feedback directed towards the players (besides reduced ice time), then yes, i have problems with your "coaching" philosophy. It's not coaching, it's just lazy. And what you get is an unhappy team (and i use the word team in its loosest sense). Last year two players quit and i know of 5 more who were miserable and would have played anywhere else if they could have (btw, these were not "bubble" kids).

Kids deserve more than getting cheated out of year of fun and parents deserve more than getting cheated out of money they thought was going to their kid's hockey development. Obviously you can have "success" with this kind of coaching philosophy (if success is solely defined in wins and losses) and it doesn't require being a hockey genius: put out your top 3 or 4 players all game and hope to exploit another team's commitment to rolling all its players or, put out your top 3 or 4 players against a like-minded coaching staff and hope your best players beat their best players. Pretty simple stuff, really. And if it was Junior A or even Midget AAA, i probably wouldn't have a problem with it. But it's not - and they're 13 and 14 year old kids in what is advertised to be a developmental league.

Old
02-05-2012, 11:37 PM
PokeCheck101

Dickie, I agree bantam is absolutely a developmental level of hockey. All players deserve a fair process throughout the entire season. The coaches mind set should be to reach a level where he/she feels comfortable rolling 3 lines. Absolutely agree that PK and PP are different scenarios. Unfortunately some games are penalty filled and thus players miss shifts. You may be closer to the SV situation than I. We do agree that Warman has put through a fair number of decent hockey players and yes natural talent is easy to coach. Again, I go back to this, if the situation has been presented to the player/parents (at beginning of season) and they accept it then it can't fall back on the coach. It's encumbant on that coach to still be fair to that player. The alternative is to play tier II. Nothing wrong with that. Some parents have said it was the wisest decision they ever made. I would rather see a marginal tier I player play down in tier II and be confident, get some good coaching then for him/her to see the ice on a limited role in tier I. Very hard for a 13 year old to maintain focus on the bench with a limited role. Then they go out and risk injury because they are not mentally prepared because they haven't seen the ice in 10 mins. But, there are parents (and we both know they are out there) who accept that. There are so many talented kids in the rural areas that choose not to play elite for the simple fact they want to play with their friends back home. What a novel idea heh; For the fun of it.

As far as coaches resumes go... If someone is coaching to pad their resume, they shouldn't be coaching. Last time I checked it was still largely a volunteer position with few exceptions. It's really simple in my mind, if people do not like the coaching speak up to the centre's executive. Unfortunately most don't, so the status quo remains. No one wants to rock the boat because heaven forbid it will reflect negatively on their kid and blacklist them in the ever important "draft year." As I mentioned, folks get too wound up with AA, AAA, etc, etc. If the coach is not focused on skill development then the executive needs to move in another direction the following year. That's the role of the coach, teach the skills.

As far as wasting parents money I don't think this will ever change. There's more and more money being spent by parents on their kids each year; Winter, spring, summer, fall. They'll spend $10, 000 on hockey with zero going to an RESP or savings bond for the kid. This is sad. See no one wants to say it but everyone believes their kid will play pro hockey. So really, before one can chastise coaches, we need to step back and analyze parents perspectives. After all, these are the same folks who accept the status quo, don't rock the boat and pretend to be content with fancy flow based practices that do nothing to re-enforce skill.

It would be nice to line match in the manner you're speaking of, unfortunately that would last about 5 seconds in a high tempo game. A coach must focus on his bench not watching the other teams bench to make sure it's 1st on 1st, 2nd on 2nd, 3rd on 3rd. I mean, for pete sake, there's bench shortening at SASK FIRST zone tournaments. There will always be frustrations. Especially for those of us who truly are passionate about the game, coach without an agenda and are not content with the status quo. Excellent conversation.

Old
02-05-2012, 11:51 PM
PokeCheck101

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickiedunnwrotethis View Post
Looking to provincials, and from what i saw with last night's game, i think NE wears SK Valley down in a 2 game series with their depth.......
I agree here. I don't think SV will be able to roll 5-6 frwds and expect to have success. However, their top 3 frwds will be dominant and actually have an ability to wear down opposition as well. Close series, hard to predict. Goaltending goes to SV.

I caught the Weyburn vs. SV game tonight. Weyburn came to play for about the first two minutes. 9-0 viper win. With Weyburn's preformance it's hard to believe they are 2nd in the south and fourth overall in league. Not alot of shine aside from Weyburn's captain who attempted to mount the odd threat. Vipers simply passed around pressure and caught Weyburn on several occassions flat footed, particularly the Weyburn D men. Weyburn fans seemed confident it was the refs fault but overall the officiating was fair. Didn't see alot of positives from the Weyburn bench and body language goes a long way.

Old
02-06-2012, 02:11 PM
pucktalk

Playoff format

What's up with the ridiculous format for playoffs? It seems pretty unfair that the north division teams all get a free pass to playoffs while the south has to drop 3 teams. Especially since Humboldt has cinched last place in entire league standings.

Old
02-06-2012, 10:20 PM
nosoup

I wonder what the north vs south inter division win loss record is? (I'm to lazy to tally it up). According to the web site only 4 south teams out of 12 are above .500 and SV just beat weyburn 9-0 (2nd place teams in their respective divisions). Maybe the south isn't as strong as the North, and Prairie storms phenomenal record is partially due to playing in a weak division?

Discuss...

Old
02-07-2012, 08:31 AM
coach kleats

Although the playoff format looks lopsided until Saskatoon decides to join the league that is what it will be. It doesn't make much sense to have a team in the south go all the way to B'ford for the first round of the playoffs. The whole design of the league was to have a north and a south team square off for the championship.

The north vs south record up until the end of January is 13-6-1 for the north.

Old
02-07-2012, 08:35 AM
pucktalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosoup View Post
I wonder what the north vs south inter division win loss record is? (I'm to lazy to tally it up). According to the web site only 4 south teams out of 12 are above .500 and SV just beat weyburn 9-0 (2nd place teams in their respective divisions). Maybe the south isn't as strong as the North, and Prairie storms phenomenal record is partially due to playing in a weak division?

Discuss...
SV got Weyburn on a really poor night. They had a rough game the day before with Humboldt and had a few players out. The south is just very competitive. Any team can win on any day with the exception of the top 3 or 4. Take for example- Estevan team only lost to SV 6-3 and creamed Humboldt 9-4. They have also beat PA easily twice this season. It's unfortunate that they are cutting any teams out of playoffs when the schedule is so unbalanced. Regina teams didn't play any of the north teams and the other south teams played 4 out of 6 north teams. It's comparing apples to oranges therefore why leave 3 teams out.

Old
02-07-2012, 08:50 AM
nosoup

Quote:
Originally Posted by coach kleats View Post
Thanks coach kleats, that's pretty impressive for the north considering none of those games include the Regina teams, which are all sub .500.

Who knows, if Humboldt and PA played in the south division they may have a better record and make the playoffs anyway.

Old
02-07-2012, 08:53 AM
pucktalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by coach kleats View Post
Although the playoff format looks lopsided until Saskatoon decides to join the league that is what it will be. It doesn't make much sense to have a team in the south go all the way to B'ford for the first round of the playoffs. The whole design of the league was to have a north and a south team square off for the championship.

The record of north vs south is irrelevant when you aren't comparing apples to apples. Bottom 3 south would likely beat bottom 2 north 8 times out of 10. Therefore drop the 2 north and 1 south. But I still believe everyone should get to play in playoffs because this is not just league playoffs but provincial playoffs. SHA's mandate is that everyone has the right to enter provincial playoffs.

Old
02-07-2012, 09:18 AM
nosoup

Quote:
Originally Posted by pucktalk View Post
The record of north vs south is irrelevant when you aren't comparing apples to apples. Bottom 3 south would likely beat bottom 2 north 8 times out of 10. Therefore drop the 2 north and 1 south. But I still believe everyone should get to play in playoffs because this is not just league playoffs but provincial playoffs. SHA's mandate is that everyone has the right to enter provincial playoffs.
You may be contradicting yourself here:

"The record of north vs south is irrelevant when you aren't comparing apples to apples."

"Bottom 3 south would likely beat bottom 2 north 8 times out of 10. Therefore drop the 2 north and 1 south."

good job mentally playing all those games though.

Old
02-07-2012, 10:44 AM
hockeylocker

Quote:
I agree with you that everyone has the right to enter provincial playoffs. From what I know, all teams were aware of the playoff structure way back in September. Why was there no stink back then?

I am sorry if you're team didn't make it, but in all reality, Praire Storm, Melville, Weyburn, Yorkton, Sask Valley, North East, West Central, and Battlefords are stronger than the other teams.

Old
02-07-2012, 03:04 PM
pucktalk

To clarify, my team will make playoffs. I am not someone who goes crazy because my little Johny didn't get the world revolving around him. I have been on boards in the past and have seen how crazy people get over their own kids. I have always been able to see the bigger picture (beyond me and mine). I strongly believe that these talented kids deserve a shot in provincials no matter how minute that chance is. Also, while the North division may have been aware of playoff format in September, the south division did not get word until January (not for lack of asking). February is too soon to be done for the year when there are camps and zones coming up.

I realize that this is the first year for this league and there are going to be some kinks to work out. I hope that the league will learn from this season and improve for future years. Enough said - I can see that some of you are only concerned with your own.

Old
02-07-2012, 04:37 PM
hockeylocker

Quote:
To clarify, my team will make playoffs. I am not someone who goes crazy because my little Johny didn't get the world revolving around him. I have been on boards in the past and have seen how crazy people get over their own kids. I have always been able to see the bigger picture (beyond me and mine). I strongly believe that these talented kids deserve a shot in provincials no matter how minute that chance is. Also, while the North division may have been aware of playoff format in September, the south division did not get word until January (not for lack of asking). February is too soon to be done for the year when there are camps and zones coming up.

I realize that this is the first year for this league and there are going to be some kinks to work out. I hope that the league will learn from this season and improve for future years. Enough said - I can see that some of you are only concerned with your own.
Playoff structure was set at the league scheduling meeting in September of 2011. It was not posted on the league website until January 2012. Not sure why the Southern division did not get this information till January. Were they not at the meeting???

Old
02-08-2012, 06:06 PM
dickiedunnwrotethis

Thanks for the response, Poke. All in all, i don't think we're that far apart on the way we see things. In a perfect world, coaches will be upfront about their coaching philosphies and not "sell" kids on their program. As long as kids and parents know what to expect, they can make an informed decision and ask for a release or, as you mentioned, go to tier II. I remember one of the coaches last year at Zones telling the kids and parents that the first and last 5 minutes of the game were his, but otherwise he was going to roll the lines. Except for a couple of penalty parade periods, he pretty much lived up to his word and i know it was appreciated by the parents.

Anyway, you raised some good points. I always appreciate hearing interesting thoughts on the state of the game. Speaking of which, any thoughts on Zones this year?

Old
02-09-2012, 01:02 PM
PokeCheck101

[QUOTE=.... Speaking of which, any thoughts on Zones this year?[/QUOTE]

Oh boy, tough.... I've taken a look at the rosters... Rankings partial (first to last):

1. Zone 1 - Decent goal tending (Vinck & Pyne), 4 of top 6 frwds in points in south div (Halbgewachs + a strong Melville showing, big D men (Riddle, tourn all star P.A. showcase). Deep.

2. Zone 8 - Possibly weaker goaltending, with exception of north div leader Amundrud but with a healthy contingent of NE Wolfpack players including tandem Elder and Paziuk can offset that with a conscientious back end. Iron has really come on as of late for NB as well a little deeper perhaps than #3 pick

3. Zone 5 - Decent goal tending (Ingram and Dasiuk both holding their own), strong D (Fiala.... Supporting cast though?), overall leader (Draude), speed up front (Shatz and I believe the fellow from Wynyard Leschyshyn is also speedy. I recall seeing him last year I believe). zone 5 and 8 may be a flip flop actually, close to call. Thoughts? I don't think zone 5 can rely on one player BUT the one player has the ability to turn close games around too.

4. Zone 6 - Decent goal tending (Hamm, bantam challenge all star), steady D (Olson tourn all star P.A. showcase), overall Saskatoon showing competitively so I put them ahead, depth wise then my # 5 pick

5. Zone 7 - Sorry, some unfamiliars in these rosters (from the local levels) but what sticks out is weaker goal tending. However they have the one two punch of Bast and Arnold , Rothenburger is coming on now but I don't see dynamic punch here guys (someone help me out if you see otherwise)

6. Zone 4 - I only see two rosters on SHA site (?). Not enough info, need some help. Yorkton's middle of pack in south div (lot's of Yorkton flavor to the rosters) so familiarity on back end is good (good D = good offense) but without any notables in the top 20 in scoring they lack depth. Mak and Kreklewich looks like they would shoulder the load.

7. Zone 3 - Not enough info, need some help... But a few comments, average D, Lack scoring exception Nagy (P.A. tourn all star)

8. Zone 2 - Guys I just don't see Regina making a decent showing. But to be fair I don't see the Regina situation much. Looks like overall weaker goaltending top team in Regina is the Oilers and Rainville's GAA is nearly 4 (or may just be weaker D overall), smaller D men however Eskra is doing well, lack scoring depth up front and are smaller on average than what the other zones appear to be. Need some help on this one guys.

Old
02-09-2012, 01:05 PM
PokeCheck101

Smha sbaahl 2012/13?

I see on the SMHA city wide site the top ticker bar is asking for input from members on joining SBAAHL.... It's inevitable.

Old
02-09-2012, 02:11 PM
PokeCheck101

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeylocker View Post
Playoff structure was set at the league scheduling meeting in September of 2011. It was not posted on the league website until January 2012. Not sure why the Southern division did not get this information till January. Were they not at the meeting???
South would have got the information. North got it, south must have. Maybe some folks just not on the ball?

I agree with all who have said that all teams deserve right to play provincials. I'm not so sure that any crossover games are really necessary during the season. I don't see any room for removing teams based on sheer geography in the north. The north has done a good job of amalgamating a few centres. There possibly could be room to do the same in the south, ie) Yorkton/Melville and Estevan/Weyburn (Estevan struggling - maybe just lean year)? That would be interesting. What I'm getting at is move into a strong 10 and 10.... Add 4 teams from Saskatoon to match the 4 from Regina, amalgamate 2 south centres and you've got a 20 team league. Just a thought for discussion.

Old
02-09-2012, 02:47 PM
hockeylocker

I agree with you PokeCheck101 that Zone 1 and Zone 8 will be at the top. I really don't see Zone 5 finishing 3rd though - I have them 5th at best. Above Zone 5 I will go with Zone 7 and Zone 6. Here is a wild guess:
1. Zone 1 - Prairie Storm, Weyburn and Melville make up this dream squad. Some very good players do not make this team. Might be one of the stronger Zone teams in recent memory.
2. Zone 8 - roster may see 8- 10 North East, 4-5 PA, plus 1- 2 Sask Valley and Battleford players.
3. Zone 7 - West Central and Battlefords dominate roster with 5-7 players each on roster. Plus, add Uhrich from Notre Dame.
4. Zone 6 - Some very good players in Saskatoon. Not as strong as in the past.
5. Zone 5 - Draude and Sask Valley cast are talented; just don't have the depth.
6. Zone 3 - Roh in net; Nagy up front are the leaders; however, supporting cast is thin.
7. Zone 4 - Will work hard; however, small zone camp numbers indicates not that strong of a zone. Core of the Melville team is off to Zone 1.
8. Zone 2 - See Zone 4

Old
02-09-2012, 05:57 PM
dickiedunnwrotethis

1. Zone 1 - On paper, the team to beat. Of course, the game is played on the ice, but with Riddle and Bear anchoring the defense and their offensive depth, i don't see them losing.

2. Zone 8 - The only team that i see that has a realistic chance of beating the favourites. Campese should add some sizzle to the North East steak. Also agree with Poke that Iron should make a nice contribution. One slightly overlooked player is Smallchild, who i think will help solidify their defense. Didn't see Fox-Zacharias's name on the roster, but i think he would add some grit to their line-up.

3. Zone 7 - Have to agree with HL here. Should be the strongest team they've had in a while as they draw from 2 solid teams, with a nice balance of offense and defense.

4. Zone 6 - Once again will have strong goaltending(Coghill, Hamm) and arguably the best defensive depth of any team (Olson, Perillat, Hobbs, Constant, Bigsby, and likely Melnyk) but a weak forward crop led by Hebig and Lambert will likely prevent them from reaching the top.

5. Zone 5 - A number of all-stars, but lack depth at all positions. Draude will always be dangerous but i really think they go as far as Sloboshan takes them. I've watched him all year, and while he lacks finish, he has all the other tools. For my money, the best forward in the GSHL this year. Also, wouldn't be surprised to see Thiel make the team.

6. Zone 2 - Could be a little out there, but i like the way they played last year. Also, from what little i've seen of Regina teams this year; they've played hard. That said, i don't think there's much daylight between them and zone 3 or 4, so i wouldn't be shocked if they finished eighth either.

7. Zone 3 - Some good talent, but like was mentioned earlier, really thin.

8. Zone 4 - Like the work ethic of the Yorkton players. With some breaks and a little help from some M'ville players could go as high as 6th.

Closed Thread