HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Steve Eminger out with separated shouler (2/3: Cleared to play)

Old
02-06-2012, 03:23 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmox View Post
No way Bickel sticks. I'm not sure Torts likes the guy. He's been benched a few periods and we even witnessed Torts not being pleased with him. He seems to lack maturity. If they absolutely have to I bet the Rangers put him on waivers/ give him away for nothing.
After the game, Torts said he gave Bickel "high marks" for his game yesterday. I've heard him praise him before. I do think he likes the kid. If he didn't, Woywitka would have been playing instead, or we would see Brendan Bell getting a chance.

I don't think he trusts Bickel defensively at this point, which is why we don't see much of him in the third period or OT.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 03:32 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
his penalties were stupid. there are PLENTY of physical defenseman out there that don't take idiotic penalties like he did.
His penalties were never an issue until yesterday

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 03:45 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
His penalties were never an issue until yesterday
don't disagree, which is why my assessment is only on yesterdays game. i just find it odd people thought he played well when I thought he played terrible.

my overall impressions of him are, i think hes a good reserve defenseman that can be used to sit someone who isn't playing well at the moment.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 03:52 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

I actually think Bickell has a decent NHL future. Reminds me a lot of Deryk Engelland. Sort of a journeyman type that plays hard every shift and gives the team much needed grit on the blue line. I don't think he'll ever be a top-4 guy, but he's already a serviceable #7. Needs to work on his decision making with the puck, but if the Rangers didn't see him as a solid player they wouldn't be concerned about losing him on waivers.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 04:03 PM
True Blue

he sort of reminded me of jay Wells.

Old
02-06-2012, 04:20 PM
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey

What's funny is you guys are arguing about the same guy..

Eminger takes his fair share of not-so-smart penalties as well.

Anthony Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 05:01 PM
Leetch66

Eminger can't or doesn't fight...not the same player at all .

Leetch66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 05:29 PM
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leetch66 View Post
Eminger can't or doesn't fight...not the same player at all .
If Steve Eminger passes up on a fight, does it impact whether Hank stands on his head, Gabby rips one, or the fact that Dubi is still in a slump, and Christensen is gone?!

Big picture thinking, now, they are both serviceable bottom pairing or extra defensemen.

Anthony Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 07:52 PM
Greg in MA

I'll be curious to see Eminger's ice time in the 3rd/OT when he gets back into game shape. Having the 6th D that can be trusted to play decent minutes in the third (instead of riding pine like Bickel) will be a huge advantage as the season winds down.

Girardi & McDonagh will be dead by the time the playoffs roll around if we're still rolling only 4 or 5 D for the last twenty+ minutes every game. Eminger isn't quite as tough as Bickel, but he's less of a defensive liability.

Greg in MA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 10:35 PM
Zil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
really lit the game up.

interesting opinion. One Torts seems to share with you guys.

Personally i thought he was AWFUL. Sure, he had 2 fights. he also had a few giveaways, took several undisciplined penalties which allowed Philly to stay in the game, and killed our momentum.

Since when does 2 fights take away from stupid penalties and medicore in zone play.

*shrugs*
This is my thinking too. He's slow. He's poor defensively. He's horrible with the puck. He takes bad penalties. I don't give a **** if he's tough. Eminger and Sauer are tough too and they can actually play hockey.

Zil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 07:48 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zil View Post
This is my thinking too. He's slow. He's poor defensively. He's horrible with the puck. He takes bad penalties. I don't give a **** if he's tough. Eminger and Sauer are tough too and they can actually play hockey.
His speed has not been an issue at all. And he need not be a master with the puck to get it out of the zone, which he does. Giveaways is not his forte. The game against the Flyers aside, when did he take bad penalties? How has his defensive game been a detriment to the team? let's not forget that Eminger, and I am not saying he is worse, is essentially a border line 6/7 defenseman as well. Let's not make him out to be Scott Stevens here. Do you think that Eminger could have had the same impact on Sunday's game?

Old
02-07-2012, 08:31 AM
JoeRangers

Quote:
His speed has not been an issue at all. And he need not be a master with the puck to get it out of the zone, which he does. Giveaways is not his forte. The game against the Flyers aside, when did he take bad penalties? How has his defensive game been a detriment to the team? let's not forget that Eminger, and I am not saying he is worse, is essentially a border line 6/7 defenseman as well. Let's not make him out to be Scott Stevens here. Do you think that Eminger could have had the same impact on Sunday's game?
Its been a detriment to the team because Torts doesnt trust him enough out there in tight games and hes only getting 6+ minutes a game. Eminger atleast was playing 12-15 minutes a night.

JoeRangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 09:42 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRangers View Post
Its been a detriment to the team because Torts doesnt trust him enough out there in tight games and hes only getting 6+ minutes a game. Eminger atleast was playing 12-15 minutes a night.
Eminger's 12 minutes does not make that much of a difference. And Bickel can be developed. So far, it is not like he has been on the ice for an avalance of goals agains.

Old
02-07-2012, 09:53 AM
JoeRangers

Quote:
Eminger's 12 minutes does not make that much of a difference. And Bickel can be developed. So far, it is not like he has been on the ice for an avalance of goals agains.
His 12 minutes gives McD and Girardi more rest.

Old
02-07-2012, 09:54 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Its been a detriment to the team because Torts doesnt trust him enough out there in tight games
Or are their better options? I don't think opting to play Girardi, Staal and McDonagh over Eminger is an indication of lack of trust or the fact that Torts has better options.

02-07-2012, 09:58 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

I kind of like Bickel in the rough and tumble divisional games. Sure, hes not trusted to play more than 7 minutes a night (or any shifts in the 3rd, really), but those handful of games is where our top 3 guys can approach 30 mins. The fact that concerns me is thats been happening in nearly every game.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 10:02 AM
JoeRangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Or are their better options? I don't think opting to play Girardi, Staal and McDonagh over Eminger is an indication of lack of trust or the fact that Torts has better options.
I was talking about Bickel. When Torts basically goes with 5 defensmen in the 3rd period of tight games I think it says he doesnt trust him to be out there.

Old
02-07-2012, 10:08 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
he sort of reminded me of jay Wells.
I could see that.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 10:39 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
I was talking about Bickel. When Torts basically goes with 5 defensmen in the 3rd period of tight games I think it says he doesnt trust him to be out there.
Same holds true.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 10:40 AM
Dorado*

Im shocked At the Eminger love . He was a spare part last year and sat eventually to perennial whipping boy Gilroy . He can't stay on his skates and besides playing a Garnet Exelby banging game does little else . He is as much if a 6 /7 d man as Stu

Dorado* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 10:51 AM
mullichicken25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorado View Post
Im shocked At the Eminger love . He was a spare part last year and sat eventually to perennial whipping boy Gilroy . He can't stay on his skates and besides playing a Garnet Exelby banging game does little else . He is as much if a 6 /7 d man as Stu
he also stepped up when staal was hurt and played 25 minutes a night like a ****in champ

Also, Gilroy's insertion into the lineup had significantly more to do with what he brings offensively than what Emminger didnt bring defensively

mullichicken25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 11:02 AM
JoeRangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorado View Post
Hes better than Bickel which is all i'm saying. If Sauer comes back he'll be the first one out of the lineup and back to being the #7 guy. Unfortunately I dont see Sauer coming back anytime soon. Eminger is fine as the #6 for now.

Old
02-07-2012, 11:07 AM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

When Sauer was in the lineup, Eminger was only getting 11-14 minutes per night playing with Woywitka. When Sauer got hurt, Eminger was getting 16-20 minutes playing with DelZotto. The problem with Eminger is that he's not good enough to be the stronger defenseman on a pair for over 15 minutes per night. However, that's no longer the scenario here. Unlike when Sauer was healthy earlier in the year, there isn't a pair that you would put Eminger on where he wouldn't be with a stronger D. When he comes back, I wouldn't be surprised to see him getting 15-18 minutes a night, which is 9-10 more than Bickel gets, which is 9-10 more minutes of rest you can spread out among the top 4. (being McDonagh, Girardi, Staal and DelZotto)

Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 11:17 AM
Net Front Presence
Harvester of Sorrow

vCash: 1092
Eminger returning is gonna be huge when McD/Girardi are closer to 25 minutes than 30. Torts isn't afraid to play him decent minutes, unlike Bickel, who he relegates to the bench in the third period.

Net Front Presence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 11:17 AM
JoeRangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
When Sauer was in the lineup, Eminger was only getting 11-14 minutes per night playing with Woywitka. When Sauer got hurt, Eminger was getting 16-20 minutes playing with DelZotto. The problem with Eminger is that he's not good enough to be the stronger defenseman on a pair for over 15 minutes per night. However, that's no longer the scenario here. Unlike when Sauer was healthy earlier in the year, there isn't a pair that you would put Eminger on where he wouldn't be with a stronger D. When he comes back, I wouldn't be surprised to see him getting 15-18 minutes a night, which is 9-10 more than Bickel gets, which is 9-10 more minutes of rest you can spread out among the top 4. (being McDonagh, Girardi, Staal and DelZotto)
Hes definitely not gonna be getting more than 15 and I would be surprised if he got that much. He was getting around 13 before he got hurt and thats probably what he'll get when he comes back.