HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Wayne Simmonds

Old
02-05-2012, 12:44 AM
Readyrock
(・_・;)

vCash: 500
Flyers have him listed at 183lbs!

That seems unbelievable to me, and other sources have him listed as much as 30lbs heavier... is there an incentive to lowball his weight?

Readyrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 01:21 AM
bryzgalovsky*

black hartnell and white simmonds earn their paychecks every night

bryzgalovsky* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 04:34 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

The night train is epic. I tried to say at the start of the season how much we were going to like him. He's a fan favourite. There is a reason that lombardi never wanted to give him up

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 12:04 PM
Damaged Goods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Readyrock View Post
Flyers have him listed at 183lbs!

That seems unbelievable to me, and other sources have him listed as much as 30lbs heavier... is there an incentive to lowball his weight?

He has very skinny legs. I could believe that he's less than 200.

Damaged Goods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 12:40 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damaged Goods View Post
He has very skinny legs. I could believe that he's less than 200.
He is very lean. 183lbs looks about right.

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 02:44 PM

We're going to win the Richards trade too

Simmonds is boss. I really didn't like him to start with, but he's won me over. He's stopped trying to be Giroux and is focussing on what he's actually good at. A real fans favourite and he's actually helped Hartnell out too i'd wager. He's no longer the only physical net presence.

1865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 06:48 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

I'm very impressed with Simmonds. He's been bounced around from line to line to line and he's finally developing chemistry with Voracek and Schenn. At the pace he's on right now, he should be able to hit 25 goals by year end and maybe 45 - 50 points. I'd say that's a heck of a mark for him to hit.

I see a lot of Tocchet in Simmonds in terms of overall play. I don't think Simmonds will ever be the fighter that Tocchet was, but he can certainly be a physical presence like Tocchet and at the high point, can score 40 to 45 goals.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 08:46 AM
WeekendAtBernies

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
I'm very impressed with Simmonds. He's been bounced around from line to line to line and he's finally developing chemistry with Voracek and Schenn. At the pace he's on right now, he should be able to hit 25 goals by year end and maybe 45 - 50 points. I'd say that's a heck of a mark for him to hit.

I see a lot of Tocchet in Simmonds in terms of overall play. I don't think Simmonds will ever be the fighter that Tocchet was, but he can certainly be a physical presence like Tocchet and at the high point, can score 40 to 45 goals.
WHAT?????

You think Simmonds can score 40 to 45 goals????

Easy there tiger. If Wayne Simmonds is putting up 40 to 45 goals, then they must be widening the net by a couple feet. And Stamkos will be setting the NHL record for goals in a season.

What about Wayne Simmonds' game makes you think he can come anywhere close to 40 goals? The game has changed a lot since the late 80s-early 90s. Tocchet would never score over 30 goals in today's NHL. I doubt Simmonds will either.

WeekendAtBernies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 08:50 AM
thelos
Bunk

Yeah I love Simmonds, but he isn't a 40 goal guy. He is likely a 25 goal guy, who hits 30 once in awhile like Hartnell

thelos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 10:43 AM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwaybro86 View Post
WHAT?????

You think Simmonds can score 40 to 45 goals????

Easy there tiger. If Wayne Simmonds is putting up 40 to 45 goals, then they must be widening the net by a couple feet. And Stamkos will be setting the NHL record for goals in a season.

What about Wayne Simmonds' game makes you think he can come anywhere close to 40 goals? The game has changed a lot since the late 80s-early 90s. Tocchet would never score over 30 goals in today's NHL. I doubt Simmonds will either.
Tocchet would have been a superstar in today's NHL. Tocchet was a dynamite hockey player with skill and brawn.

As for Simmonds, I very much see 40 to 45 goals on the horizon. Good hands, stays in front of the net, hard to move. Now that he's got some chemistry going on with Schenn, I can very much see 40 goals/25-30 assists a season from Simmonds once he and Schenn mature. He's more than just a 25 to 30 goal grinder.

Old
02-06-2012, 11:24 AM
WeekendAtBernies

Quote:
Tocchet would have been a superstar in today's NHL. Tocchet was a dynamite hockey player with skill and brawn.

As for Simmonds, I very much see 40 to 45 goals on the horizon. Good hands, stays in front of the net, hard to move. Now that he's got some chemistry going on with Schenn, I can very much see 40 goals/25-30 assists a season from Simmonds once he and Schenn mature. He's more than just a 25 to 30 goal grinder.
Piecing together your talent evaluations of our young players, you think that two years down the line:

-We will be getting 30 goals, 100 points from Giroux
-Schenn will be giving us 30 goals, 80 points
- Couturier will be giving us 30 goals, 80 points and Selke defense
-Wayne Simmonds will be scoring 40-45 goals and 70 points.
-Jakub Voracek will be giving us 70 points
-Matt Read will be giving us 30 goals and 60 points
And there are still several other players like Hartnell that I have not even mentioned. And you think Nick Cousins will be a 2nd line player too.

Dear god we are going to have a stacked team. I think we would have the best offense in the NHL by like at least 100 goals. The rest of the league is so screwed.

WeekendAtBernies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 01:14 PM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Piecing together your talent evaluations of our young players, you think that two years down the line:

And there are still several other players like Hartnell that I have not even mentioned. And you think Nick Cousins will be a 2nd line player too.

Dear god we are going to have a stacked team. I think we would have the best offense in the NHL by like at least 100 goals. The rest of the league is so screwed.
Except that the Flyers still need a goalie.

That said I like Simmonds and was happy when he was included in the trade, however I don't see him being a 40 goal scorer. I'll be content with him consistently scoring over 20 goals a season and chipping in physically.

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 02:10 PM
CptCannon

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com View Post
Except that the Flyers still need a goalie.
A 9-8 win still gets you 2 points.

CptCannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 02:42 PM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Quote:

Good shout

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 11:12 AM
phillyfanatic

Just had a conversation with a fellow Flyer fan who claims Simmonds is terrible defensively. I was like, What? Really? I looked up his stats and some of the advanced stats and they are not conclusive. I have not noticed him as a defensive liability, what about you?

phillyfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 11:31 AM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfanatic View Post
Just had a conversation with a fellow Flyer fan who claims Simmonds is terrible defensively. I was like, What? Really? I looked up his stats and some of the advanced stats and they are not conclusive. I have not noticed him as a defensive liability, what about you?
Liability might be a bit harsh. I don't think he is above average defensively, though.

On the other hand, anyone who plays with Briere essentially has 50 percent more defensive responsibility than the "average" wing. When you adjust for inflation, Simmonds is fine.

I don't think he is or will ever be a shut-down defender, but he isn't awful.

(That's just my amateur's eye--I haven't looked at / don't understand the advanced metrics).

Jack de la Hoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 11:45 AM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:

Well, Giroux is on pace for 32 goals and 104 points this year. I still stand by my predictions with regards to Schenn, Couturier, Simmonds and Voracek. I don't think Hartnell will be around afterwards and that Simmonds will fill his spot on the top line. Don't forget that in a few years time that you'll see that Briere, Hartnell, Jagr and possibly JVR are going to be gone. So, then you're looking at a lineup of:

Simmonds - Giroux - Voracek
Cousins - Schenn - Read
Ranford - Couturier - Akeson
Rinaldo - Talbot - Sestito

Yeah, some people might think I'm high with regards to what I'm predicting, but I'm also thinking that with the system Laviolette uses, there's no reason why any of them can't put up significant numbers with the system he employs. Lavs doesn't use a trap based system. He's very much a high skating, high forechecking system that players will always put big numbers up in. And when Schenn and Couturier mature, they're going to put up big numbers. As well, they're going to alleviate a lot of pressure on Giroux in terms of production and ice time.

Yes, this is going to be a dynamic club offensively. Big guys like Simmonds do well in Laviolette's system. Look at a guy like Erik Cole. He put up career numbers in Laviolette's system. And I'll definitely go on record and state that Simmonds at this point in his career is a much better player in terms of talent when compared to Cole at the same point.

Take it for what you want, but I won't be surprised in the future just how good this club is going to be offensively. When the defense matches the offense, this is going to be a scary good club - like late 90s and 2000s Detroit Red Wings good.

Old
02-07-2012, 11:46 AM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

Quote:
the dolt probably just based it off the fatc that he was what, -4, last game?

I wouldnt say he's great defensively, but he certainly isnt terrible

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 11:47 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

He's been good on defense.

02-07-2012, 11:53 AM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Well, Giroux is on pace for 32 goals and 104 points this year. I still stand by my predictions with regards to Schenn, Couturier, Simmonds and Voracek. I don't think Hartnell will be around afterwards and that Simmonds will fill his spot on the top line. Don't forget that in a few years time that you'll see that Briere, Hartnell, Jagr and possibly JVR are going to be gone. So, then you're looking at a lineup of:

Simmonds - Giroux - Voracek
Cousins - Schenn - Read
Ranford - Couturier - Akeson
Rinaldo - Talbot - Sestito

Yeah, some people might think I'm high with regards to what I'm predicting, but I'm also thinking that with the system Laviolette uses, there's no reason why any of them can't put up significant numbers with the system he employs. Lavs doesn't use a trap based system. He's very much a high skating, high forechecking system that players will always put big numbers up in. And when Schenn and Couturier mature, they're going to put up big numbers. As well, they're going to alleviate a lot of pressure on Giroux in terms of production and ice time.

Yes, this is going to be a dynamic club offensively. Big guys like Simmonds do well in Laviolette's system. Look at a guy like Erik Cole. He put up career numbers in Laviolette's system. And I'll definitely go on record and state that Simmonds at this point in his career is a much better player in terms of talent when compared to Cole at the same point.

Take it for what you want, but I won't be surprised in the future just how good this club is going to be offensively. When the defense matches the offense, this is going to be a scary good club - like late 90s and 2000s Detroit Red Wings good.
Is that the line-up for the Ho-Sang / McDavid sweepstakes?

EDIT: I think that puts far too much pressure on the top-line to carry the load offensively. Perhaps if JVR is still there it makes it more palatable, dropping Cousins to the third-line "agitator" role he's better suited for (from what I've read--feel free to correct me if I'm wrong).

I'd worry about the speed of that Ranford-Couturier-Akeson line. I know that Couturier's skating has and will continue to improve, but isn't the biggest question mark around the other two their own foot-speed?

I guess that line-up could work if we have am exceptional defensive corps in place, but I dunno.

I think it's much more likely that either Schenn or Couturier are playing on the top line--either at wing or at C (with Roo at RW).

Last edited by Jack de la Hoya: 02-07-2012 at 12:02 PM.
Jack de la Hoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 11:54 AM
flyersfan187

Send a message via AIM to flyersfan187 Send a message via Skype™ to flyersfan187
Simmonds has been good this year and the system plays to his strengths which when he turns to be an unrestricted free agent he will command a lot of money. Something I don't know if the Flyers will be able to pay. Big powerful forwards that are great along the boards and can chip in points are not as common in the league. I personally love him as a Flyer and would like him and Hartnell to be here for a very long time. He plays Flyer hockey

flyersfan187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 12:01 PM
mirimon

He's not terrible, but he's not particularly good either. He has the potential to be a pretty solid two-way winger, I think. He's got the skating and the hustling. He needs to be a bit smarter though. It would be nice if he could pick up a thing or two from Talbot the next couple of seasons.

mirimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 05:41 PM
Johnny Utah

Kings fan here, Simmonds is very good defensively, or at least was when he was in LA. Terry Murray had a lot of confidence in his as a shut down guy on the 3rd line who could occasionally move up to the 1st or 2nd line. He was paired with Handzus for most of his time here and we all Zeus is a very good defensively oriented center.

Johnny Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 05:56 PM
Flyerfan4life

Quote:

hes confusing Simmonds for Carle clearly..

Flyerfan4life is offline   Reply With Quote