HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Timonen on difference between Flyers and Rangers: “The goalie”

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-07-2012, 12:44 AM
  #51
ICAPNASTYI
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: South Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 101
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sobrien View Post
He let up 5 against WPG twice, and just let up 6 to the Devils. He's certainly more confident and competitive than Bryz, but he's not always playing a lot better. He's certainly not one of the top 3 puck handling goalies. Not even close.
The fact that you used the most recent Devils game as part of your argument is hilarious.

ICAPNASTYI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 12:46 AM
  #52
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...
 
sa cyred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Traveling...
Country: Cuba
Posts: 15,775
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Tebow View Post
Bob is okay. I am not sure what your logic is behind this though. Bob may have improved with his puck handling but he certainly is not a top 3 puck handling goalie yet. Not even close.

On top of that statistically Bob's stats are all down this season. His GAA, his save percentage, still no shutouts. All worse then last season.

When you look at his splits they are erratic. Strong on the road, terrible at home. Not so hot vs the division and honestly he really has had a weaker schedule then Bryz that isn't an opinion it is an actual fact.

I am not defending Bryz on this but Bob isn't exactly doing anything special. He's been average.

Its funny how one bad game can make your stats go from an up in stats to a down. Believe it or not, but before he let in the 6 goals, he was having a great statistical season.

Honestly though, you can see an improvement in Bob's play.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 12:53 AM
  #53
ICAPNASTYI
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: South Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 101
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Tebow View Post
Bob is okay. I am not sure what your logic is behind this though. Bob may have improved with his puck handling but he certainly is not a top 3 puck handling goalie yet. Not even close.

On top of that statistically Bob's stats are all down this season. His GAA, his save percentage, still no shutouts. All worse then last season.

When you look at his splits they are erratic. Strong on the road, terrible at home. Not so hot vs the division and honestly he really has had a weaker schedule then Bryz that isn't an opinion it is an actual fact.

I am not defending Bryz on this but Bob isn't exactly doing anything special. He's been average.
I haven't missed a game all season, and I didn't miss any last season either. So I'm going to go off of what I've seen rather than back up a statement with a simple read of a statistic. Bob is better in every part of his game, easily.

ICAPNASTYI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 12:53 AM
  #54
Block More Shots
Registered User
 
Block More Shots's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 1,355
vCash: 500
I think Kimmo is speaking the truth, but what's take a little shot like that at him going to do for the team or the guy's mental state? Bryz seems like he's been lacking confidence for awhile now and these comments certainly don't help.

Listen, it's one thing for the coach to call out a particular player, but as a teammate, you should keep your mouth shut to the media and concentrate on your game. Let Bryz work out his game and see what happens down the line, don't call your starting goalie out. Bobrovsky certainly won't be bringing them to a Cup, so I'd watch what I say if I were him.

Block More Shots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 01:02 AM
  #55
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...
 
sa cyred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Traveling...
Country: Cuba
Posts: 15,775
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubi Has Arrived View Post
I think Kimmo is speaking the truth, but what's take a little shot like that at him going to do for the team or the guy's mental state? Bryz seems like he's been lacking confidence for awhile now and these comments certainly don't help.

Listen, it's one thing for the coach to call out a particular player, but as a teammate, you should keep your mouth shut to the media and concentrate on your game. Let Bryz work out his game and see what happens down the line, don't call your starting goalie out. Bobrovsky certainly won't be bringing them to a Cup, so I'd watch what I say if I were him.
Cant think about just the goalie's confidence, but also the teams. Some of these players are busting their ***** out there. Honestly, Timonen is probably having his best season as a Flyer. He blocks a **** ton of pucks for Breezy. Back breakers can really deflate a team.

Also I guess you didnt see the article of Breezy calling out his defenders? Truth. Cant find the link but either philly.com or csn had it.

And why the Bobrovsky hate?

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 01:34 AM
  #56
Block More Shots
Registered User
 
Block More Shots's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 1,355
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Cant think about just the goalie's confidence, but also the teams. Some of these players are busting their ***** out there. Honestly, Timonen is probably having his best season as a Flyer. He blocks a **** ton of pucks for Breezy. Back breakers can really deflate a team.

Also I guess you didnt see the article of Breezy calling out his defenders? Truth. Cant find the link but either philly.com or csn had it.

And why the Bobrovsky hate?
I should say this first: Ranger fan coming in peace!

I do agree that the Flyers have a very hard working team, and yeah, it's frustrating to see your #1 not play up to par, but I don't think making a comment like that is going to necessarily help the situation either. As a Rangers fan, I'd consider myself pretty lucky having a guy like Henrik back there to depend on, and I'm sure that helps the team's confidence as a whole. I can see your argument regarding his play having an affect on the team for sure, though.

I gotta say, I didn't catch the Breezy article calling out his defenders. I'd actually like to check that out because it makes things prettyyy interesting if both sides are taking little jabs at each other.

Judging simply from the game on Sunday, he had legitimate chances to save the 2nd goal (Gabby), 3rd goal (Del Zotto), and 4th goal (Dubinsky). Again, I can definitely see the frustration that goes into it, but there's no doubting Bryz's talent. He's just taking a little longer to put it together.

I'm not trying to hate on Bob too much, but despite the good record, 2.70 GAA isn't exactly the greatest. I think he's done alright, but IMO, Bryz is your #1 despite all the lackluster play.

Block More Shots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 01:48 AM
  #57
BillDineen
Registered User
 
BillDineen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 3,009
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubi Has Arrived View Post
I should say this first: Ranger fan coming in peace!

I do agree that the Flyers have a very hard working team, and yeah, it's frustrating to see your #1 not play up to par, but I don't think making a comment like that is going to necessarily help the situation either. As a Rangers fan, I'd consider myself pretty lucky having a guy like Henrik back there to depend on, and I'm sure that helps the team's confidence as a whole. I can see your argument regarding his play having an affect on the team for sure, though.

I gotta say, I didn't catch the Breezy article calling out his defenders. I'd actually like to check that out because it makes things prettyyy interesting if both sides are taking little jabs at each other.

Judging simply from the game on Sunday, he had legitimate chances to save the 2nd goal (Gabby), 3rd goal (Del Zotto), and 4th goal (Dubinsky). Again, I can definitely see the frustration that goes into it, but there's no doubting Bryz's talent. He's just taking a little longer to put it together.

I'm not trying to hate on Bob too much, but despite the good record, 2.70 GAA isn't exactly the greatest. I think he's done alright, but IMO, Bryz is your #1 despite all the lackluster play.
Dear Ranger fan, despite the fact that I hate your current Rangers team more than any previous one (and I hated Adam Graves oh so much), I agree with you that Timonen should not have called out a teammate even though that teammate did call out the defense in the past.

Bryz is paid to be a top player on this team as has been very few times this season. If fact, he has been one of the worst on the ice more games than he has been one of the best IMO. So that is where the frustration comes from.

Bob is exactly what a team would want in a sophomore goalie. He works his butt off to improve and has. I think he will be good enough to win a cup behind one day.

BillDineen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 02:02 AM
  #58
Block More Shots
Registered User
 
Block More Shots's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 1,355
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillDineen View Post
Dear Ranger fan, despite the fact that I hate your current Rangers team more than any previous one (and I hated Adam Graves oh so much), I agree with you that Timonen should not have called out a teammate even though that teammate did call out the defense in the past.

Bryz is paid to be a top player on this team as has been very few times this season. If fact, he has been one of the worst on the ice more games than he has been one of the best IMO. So that is where the frustration comes from.

Bob is exactly what a team would want in a sophomore goalie. He works his butt off to improve and has. I think he will be good enough to win a cup behind one day.
Lol, like I tell everyone else, you can't get too excited about beating Philly 4 times in the regular season. Sure, we still got 2 more matchups, but if we meet in the playoffs, it could be a whole new ballgame. And you never know, if you're goaltending starts to click going into the playoffs, you guys could easily make a deep run.

I can't help but have faith in my team at this point in time because of their play, but you just never know how things will go in the playoffs.

Block More Shots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 02:28 AM
  #59
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline
 
CS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Lumberton, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 14,005
vCash: 500
Imagine if we took Bryzgalov's money, spent it on defense, and ran with Bobrovsky while having an improved blueline.

Just saying. Bryzgalov is sucking the championship potential right out of our current and near-future Flyers.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 02:32 AM
  #60
Readyrock
(・_・;)
 
Readyrock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,708
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dooley36 View Post
I think he's more saying that Hank had an unbelievable game.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Couturier View Post
I interpret "the goalie" as Lundqvist. Has nothing to do with Bryz.
Pshhht.

With the forest of sensitive egos on the team and the media constantly sniffing for the divided-locker-room narrative, it speaks volumes that Kimmo even left his statement so ambiguous. A statesman like him, a team captain no less, will typically go out of his way to sand off anything that could be misinterpreted in a quote to the press.

If the Flyers take an unexpected loss to NYI tonight... accompanied with the standard-issue defensive breakdowns... I bet you hear some more daring, pointed language coming from Bryzgalov.

Is anyone under the impression that a locker room split with Bryzgalov isn't on the way? Honestly?

Readyrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 03:00 AM
  #61
SolidSnakeUS
Registered User
 
SolidSnakeUS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Pipersville, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 31,091
vCash: 500
The thing is, you have to give it to the Rangers for being lucky. Lundy was picked in the 7th round, and honestly, it's not very often a goalie to become even an NHL player, and in this case, very rarely are they in the top 5 in GAA and SV% year in, year out. When they drafted him, did they expect him to be this good?

SolidSnakeUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 07:25 AM
  #62
chimrichalds18
the key
 
chimrichalds18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 2,775
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by toughfighter83 View Post
with all due respect, good teams dont have breakdowns, it's almost like it's ok for a team to play crap defense like the flyers are and expecting bryz to bail them out every time, that cant happen, that's why bob was struggling against the devils and islanders. you cant excuse breakdowns, they cant happen.
http://video.flyers.nhl.com/videocenter/

1:40 mark. That looks like a breakdown to me.

chimrichalds18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 07:39 AM
  #63
mirimon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: The Wrong Town
Country: Sweden
Posts: 2,780
vCash: 500
While I think that this is a storm in a tea cup, it's not the wisest quote Timonen has given. I definitely don't agree that the Rangers game was a decent game from our side. In fact, Timonen could have added that another difference between the teams was that our defenders not named Kimmo were playing like crap. Also, our top line needs sorting things out soon.

I didn't expect Bryzgalov to be an elite goalie for us, but he is better than this. I hope he can turn things around soon.

mirimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 08:02 AM
  #64
MsWoof
Registered User
 
MsWoof's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,244
vCash: 500
Can you imagine Bryz's reaction before the first game of the playoffs in Philly with all the fans decked out in orange with a murderous slogan on the shirts? Last season, I remember thinking how it must have felt for Bob when he first saw that, Bryz is going to have a meltdown.

Re: Kimmo's comments, after seeing Bryz make the comments about the defense earlier this season, then seeing Lavi's comments about how he's been working hard since the all star break, you have to wonder if the team feels like he's been coasting because he got the big bucks. Someone else mentioned his weight coming into this season is quite a bit more than last season so has he decided to not work hard because he's got the big money? Something stinks in that locker room.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 09:41 AM
  #65
Amateur Hour
Registered User
 
Amateur Hour's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Negadelphia
Posts: 6,507
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoof View Post
Can you imagine Bryz's reaction before the first game of the playoffs in Philly with all the fans decked out in orange with a murderous slogan on the shirts? Last season, I remember thinking how it must have felt for Bob when he first saw that, Bryz is going to have a meltdown.

Re: Kimmo's comments, after seeing Bryz make the comments about the defense earlier this season, then seeing Lavi's comments about how he's been working hard since the all star break, you have to wonder if the team feels like he's been coasting because he got the big bucks. Someone else mentioned his weight coming into this season is quite a bit more than last season so has he decided to not work hard because he's got the big money? Something stinks in that locker room.
Again.

Sigh.

Amateur Hour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 09:49 AM
  #66
Banger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 889
vCash: 500
Timo is 100% right.

Banger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 10:47 AM
  #67
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail
 
JXC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 13,901
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ICAPNASTYI View Post
He works his *** of and continues to get better at his game every day.
Please explain Bob surrendering 6 goals on 23 shots just three days ago. Thanks.

JXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 10:51 AM
  #68
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail
 
JXC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 13,901
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Tebow View Post
Systems matter but you can't put so much stock into them.
Jeez where were you five years ago!!!

JXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 11:35 AM
  #69
ICAPNASTYI
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: South Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 101
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JXC View Post
Please explain Bob surrendering 6 goals on 23 shots just three days ago. Thanks.
Did you watch that game or just take a look at the box score ? The Devils game needs no explanation if you watched it.

ICAPNASTYI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 12:47 PM
  #70
Flyerfan4life
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Richmond BC, Canada
Country: England
Posts: 13,250
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JXC View Post
Please explain Bob surrendering 6 goals on 23 shots just three days ago. Thanks.
did you not watch that game?..

there were 3teams on the ice that day..

and the refs scored the most goals of any team..

surely your not gunna try to say that was a fair game by any stretch are you ???

Flyerfan4life is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 12:53 PM
  #71
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!
 
FreshPerspective's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: Italy
Posts: 11,146
vCash: 500
I had posted the Timo comment in the Bryz contract thread after the game and I still think it was a semi-veiled snipe at Bryz but don't have a problem with it b/c what he said was the truth.

The goaltending has been the difference in a lot of the Rangers losses..even the WC that Bob played in he let up at least one deflating goal I can recall so Timonen's comment is kind of open ended and can be applied and interpreted in many ways including praise for King Henry.

Fact is against teams like the Rangers and Bruins there is little margin for error and although the D has made their fair share the goalies have to be better especially Bryz. I mean last game he just didn't hold his weight at all....

As far as Bryz being liked in the locker room...I don't think he's disliked necessarily but I'm not so certain he's close with many people. I think he does his own thing. It's fair to question how he mesh's with the team and it was fair to make suppositions about Carter and Richards in that respect despite all the hyprocritical shout downs by the same people questioning Bryz's possible locker room deficiencies. Actually, it's not that suprising but pretty ironic...

I've have heard from various people that Bryz's commitment to practice etc has been lacking and this was before Lavi made those comments about him being more commited since the All Star break. It basically confirmed some of the unsubstantiated rumors in my mind....

Look when a player is inconsistent like Bryz has been it is pretty much because of a lack of commitment and work. Lavi's statements suggest as much...I also believe Bryz is not handling the pressure well of "goalie hell" Philly. Having said this..he took the money and the challenge now it's time to bear down especially down the stretch. He's still got a lot of proving to do. He can get a mulligan for the year but he better make it up ten fold in the next 8 years..if he sticks around and doesn't become the next Biron (number 1 potential but never consistent enough to remain number 1). Obviously, Bryz is better than Biron or has a more proven track record but he needs to be judged going forward with the Flyers and so far not so good..

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 02:15 PM
  #72
flyersfan187
Registered User
 
flyersfan187's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Morrisdale, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,856
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to flyersfan187 Send a message via Skype™ to flyersfan187
When Lavy was coaching Carolina did he have a divided locker room there too? I think he lasted what 3 seasons there as head coach? I was hoping since Homer got rid of the people that didn't buy into this system or didn't get along with the coach that the team would then come together, but idk if that is working now. I think he needs to bake a cake for the team!!!

flyersfan187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 02:18 PM
  #73
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Centreville
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 41,993
vCash: 500
Please tell me we aren't going to do this "locker room division" assumption based off of press snippets and on-ice play again.

__________________
Down in the basement, I've got a Craftsman lathe. Show it to the children when they misbehave.
Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 02:25 PM
  #74
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!
 
FreshPerspective's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: Italy
Posts: 11,146
vCash: 500
I actually think the locker room is very cohesive...I just think Bryz is kind of a bystander of sorts even though goalies are typically quirky like that anyway. I mean nobody even wants to eat breakfast with the dude...ha ha ha.

But seriously, I just think the Flyers didn't do enough homework on him as far as his off-ice knocks some of which players from his former team gave us a glimpse of even if it was jerky of them. So that is a sign IMO and so far Lavi insinuating Bryz didn't work hard enough in practice until the All Star break is another. It really is not that hard to infer and read between the lines on a lot of things with Bryz unless one is a blind apologist....

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 02:42 PM
  #75
Prongo
Beer
 
Prongo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 14,410
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Please tell me we aren't going to do this "locker room division" assumption based off of press snippets and on-ice play again.
Thank you.. I heard the group was really close inside that locker room. It seems that if we win, tight tight group in there. If we lose, oh this group is divided some way it has to be true! Its getting down towards crunch time, let's just hope this team pieces it all together like Boston last year and make a run for their money

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:29 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.