Boychuk and future with Bruins

Closed Thread

Old
02-07-2012, 01:03 PM
Joe Zanussi

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baddkarma View Post
3 years/2.75 per. Book it. Johnny Game knows his role. Thats one as a millionaire on a cup contending team.

I'll buy that.

I like having him on the team (although I still don't think he'll be here next year).

That said, I would absolutely trade him straight up for Paajarvi if Edmonton was up for it.

Old
02-07-2012, 01:06 PM
qc
#FireChiarelli

vCash: 69
i think boychuks future in boston depends on what we do with corvo and how dougie progresses. chia is probably waiting as long as possible to see how that plays out. on the other hand i could see boychuk staying in boston and taking several hundred K per year less over playing for some suckbag team like cbj

Old
02-07-2012, 01:08 PM
Tim Vezina Thomas
Dougie Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiss The Ring View Post
Hamilton next year will skate circles around Boychuk, so there's no pressure on him. Cross will never make the NHL. If he leaves, you sign a better defenseman than him, that's all.
Boychuk is better than Hamilton now, and will be better than Hamilton next year most likely. If you can get him to a short term deal, you do it.

However, after next season we will have Seguin, Lucic, Marchand, Horton, Ference and Thomas as UFAs/RFAs...if he wants a lot of money then you have to let him go.

On the open market with teams bidding on his services he could get 4+ easy. A team like Edmonton woudl love having someone like Boychuk. Should be intersting to see what happens with him, we definitely dont ahve the depth at the moment to let him go.

Old
02-07-2012, 01:10 PM
norwoodmustang

Send a message via AIM to norwoodmustang Send a message via MSN to norwoodmustang Send a message via Yahoo to norwoodmustang
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
They'll sign him. No reason not to unless he goes extreme with demands.

Larsson and Hamilton aren't at same level but Hamilton is talented as well. Larsson was touted as the best d-man from sweden since lidstrom for a reason.
McLaren came straight into the Bruins lineup at 18. I know the game is different now, but McLaren played on the first pair with Bourque as a mentor and the same thing is possible with Hamilton and Chara if Hamilton is ready in September.

Old
02-07-2012, 01:11 PM
rocketdan9

Larsson like hedmn is nowhere near lids. larsson may become a very good 2 nd pair d but not franchise.

Old
02-07-2012, 01:12 PM
Tim Vezina Thomas
Dougie Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr q View Post
i think boychuks future in boston depends on what we do with corvo and how dougie progresses. chia is probably waiting as long as possible to see how that plays out. on the other hand i could see boychuk staying in boston and taking several hundred K per year less over playing for some suckbag team like cbj
Dougie has already shown he can dominate the OHL, more dominating the OHL isn't gonna prove anything. He'll win a spot in camp, which is a long time away.

I hope they re sign Corvo to a one year deal...despite his defensive shortcomings, he has athleticism and skating ability that wed be lacking with his abscence. A one year deal is also a very tradeable contract, and should Dougie prove his worth and earn his spot over Corvo, hes easily moveable (or if you wanted to keep him for depth).

I hope the defense ends up being Chara, Seids, Boychuk, McQuaid, Ference, Corvo (or another vet on a one year deal), and the hope that Dougie can eventually beat one of the vets out.

Old
02-07-2012, 01:14 PM
rocketdan9

If we get to the ecf an does ok, i dont mind resigning him for one more year

Old
02-07-2012, 01:16 PM
Tim Vezina Thomas
Dougie Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketdan9 View Post
Larsson like hedmn is nowhere near lids. larsson may become a very good 2 nd pair d but not franchise.
Completely disagree.

Larsson is getting a ton of ice time as a rookie and playing very well...scouts would disagree as well.

Old
02-07-2012, 01:24 PM
qc
#FireChiarelli

vCash: 69
oh there is no doubt in my mind that dougie will be ready to be an nhl defensemen next year. my point is that if he continues to put on weight and gain strength, while continuing to dominate the ohl, inking boychuk might fall a few spots on chia's offseason to-do list.

i also wouldnt mind picking corvo up for another year. he's obviously shaky at times, but having him around next year would be huge. if dougie comes out of the gate on fire, wonderful. but if he takes time adjusting to the big league, corvo's presence will put less pressure on the kid.

Old
02-07-2012, 01:28 PM
Paddington

I'm leaning towards the side that says somebody will overpay for him...especially if they go deep again. It tends to happen with UFAs who were on a successful team. The only way he comes back is if, like somebody mentioned, he takes a discount.

Old
02-07-2012, 01:35 PM
Tim Vezina Thomas
Dougie Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr q View Post
oh there is no doubt in my mind that dougie will be ready to be an nhl defensemen next year. my point is that if he continues to put on weight and gain strength, while continuing to dominate the ohl, inking boychuk might fall a few spots on chia's offseason to-do list.
i also wouldnt mind picking corvo up for another year. he's obviously shaky at times, but having him around next year would be huge. if dougie comes out of the gate on fire, wonderful. but if he takes time adjusting to the big league, corvo's presence will put less pressure on the kid.
Dougie fits the mold of a player in a particular system who needs to go back to Juniors for another year. Hes very tall, lanky, and his defense needs work (not saying its not good, just saying he could work in it).

Hes also about to play in a VERY defensive system, for a coach that has a particular affinity for veterans/young players who have played in the system before (McQuaid, Stuart, Hunwick, Marchand, Krejci). Theres obviously the Seguin exception (which could very well happen to Hamilton as well), but theres no denying he likes his players seasoned in the system before extensive NHL time.

You don't not sign a proven top four defensman because you have some kid dominating Juniors whos never played in the current system. Even if they let Boychuk/Corvo go, you can bet that theyll re sign two or three capable vets before camp to push him/provide depth should Dougie not be ready.

People seem to think hes being written in for the top six next year already, believe me, he isnt anywhere close. He could very well be in the NHL next year (I think he will be), but there is definitely a chance he wont be, and thats fine.

Old
02-07-2012, 01:37 PM
Tim Vezina Thomas
Dougie Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddington View Post
I'm leaning towards the side that says somebody will overpay for him...especially if they go deep again. It tends to happen with UFAs who were on a successful team. The only way he comes back is if, like somebody mentioned, he takes a discount.
I agree. I could very well seeing someone give him a 3 year 12 million dollar deal, or something along those lines...which IMO would be an overpayment.

Old
02-07-2012, 01:38 PM
nycbruins*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Vezina Thomas View Post
Dougie has already shown he can dominate the OHL, more dominating the OHL isn't gonna prove anything. He'll win a spot in camp, which is a long time away.

I hope they re sign Corvo to a one year deal...despite his defensive shortcomings, he has athleticism and skating ability that wed be lacking with his abscence. A one year deal is also a very tradeable contract, and should Dougie prove his worth and earn his spot over Corvo, hes easily moveable (or if you wanted to keep him for depth).

I hope the defense ends up being Chara, Seids, Boychuk, McQuaid, Ference, Corvo (or another vet on a one year deal), and the hope that Dougie can eventually beat one of the vets out.
So you want the same exact defense that nearly everyone agrees needs to be improved and that Chia is trying to improve as we speak?

No thanks. Get a new guy for the PP (Ryan Whitney, Visnovsky, somebody with only a year left on their deal so as to not disrupt 2013-2014 cap with new K's for Seguin, Lucic & Marchand.)

Pencil in Hamilton, but sign an aging veteran for insurance like an Adrian Aucoin. Let Corvo & Boychuk go.

My take. I like Johnny, but he can cash in big somewhere else and I don't see him as a big-money d-man.

Old
02-07-2012, 01:50 PM
Fair Warning

I wouldn't pay $4m for him, but I'm confident someone would overpay for him on the open market.

Boychuk, 28, averaged 20:30 TOI/G last season with 3 goals, 13 assists and a +15 rating. He's on a similar pace this year, except he's currently +24. Not to mention his post-season stats for the Stanley Cup Champion Boston Bruins last year -- 20:30 TOI/G, 3 goals, 6 assists, and +12. I think that's what a lot of people are forgetting: the guy logs 20+ minutes/game, which is a good amount.

Compare that to Tim Gleason, 29, averaging 20:58 TOI/G last season with 2 goals, 14 assists and a -11 rating, and similar numbers the past few years on a Hurricanes team that's been subpar at best. Gleason has only played in the post-season once ('08-'09), putting up 5pts, a -2 rating, and 20:29 TOI/G in 18GP.

Gleason has more years in the NHL on his side, but otherwise, him and Boychuk aren't far apart statistically. And Gleason just cashed in on a $4m payday. Maybe the Bruins won't pay Boychuk $4m, but I'm betting based on the Gleason contract, someone else might.

(Source: ESPN)

Old
02-07-2012, 01:54 PM
Tim Vezina Thomas
Dougie Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycbruins View Post
So you want the same exact defense that nearly everyone agrees needs to be improved and that Chia is trying to improve as we speak?

No thanks. Get a new guy for the PP (Ryan Whitney, Visnovsky, somebody with only a year left on their deal so as to not disrupt 2013-2014 cap with new K's for Seguin, Lucic & Marchand.)

Pencil in Hamilton, but sign an aging veteran for insurance like an Adrian Aucoin. Let Corvo & Boychuk go.

My take. I like Johnny, but he can cash in big somewhere else and I don't see him as a big-money d-man.
Going into camp I want them to do this. If Hamilton proves he isnt ready, then they can go elsewhere if they need to. The goal is to provide insurance for Hamilton who is still worth of playing in the top six.

And you dont "pencil in" Hamilton. Remember Pieterangelo? Who was arguably a BETTER prospect than Hamilton? Yeah, he wasnt remotely ready for the NHL after his third season. Look what happened...went back to the OHL for a bit now hes dominant.

What happens if Hamilton isn't ready? None of you including myself know if hes gonna be ready or not, not even Chiarelli knows this.

Old
02-07-2012, 01:56 PM
Tim Vezina Thomas
Dougie Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fair Warning View Post
I wouldn't pay $4m for him, but I'm confident someone would overpay for him on the open market.

Boychuk, 28, averaged 20:30 TOI/G last season with 3 goals, 13 assists and a +15 rating. He's on a similar pace this year, except he's currently +24. Not to mention his post-season stats for the Stanley Cup Champion Boston Bruins last year -- 20:30 TOI/G, 3 goals, 6 assists, and +12. I think that's what a lot of people are forgetting: the guy logs 20+ minutes/game, which is a good amount.

Compare that to Tim Gleason, 29, averaging 20:58 TOI/G last season with 2 goals, 14 assists and a -11 rating, and similar numbers the past few years on a Hurricanes team that's been subpar at best. Gleason has only played in the post-season once ('08-'09), putting up 5pts, a -2 rating, and 20:29 TOI/G in 18GP.

Gleason has more years in the NHL on his side, but otherwise, him and Boychuk aren't far apart statistically. And Gleason just cashed in on a $4m payday. Maybe the Bruins won't pay Boychuk $4m, but I'm betting based on the Gleason contract, someone else might.

(Source: ESPN)
Gleason also took a bit of a hometown discount as well...so not sure this is a good comparison.

Nonetheless, a team who needs a good top four d man/needs to reach the cap floor would be all over Boychuk. He easily gets 4+ on the open market.

Old
02-07-2012, 01:58 PM
Fair Warning

Quote:
Gleason also took a bit of a hometown discount as well...so not sure this is a good comparison.

Nonetheless, a team who needs a good top four d man/needs to reach the cap floor would be all over Boychuk. He easily gets 4+ on the open market.
Absolutely. My point was that all Boychuk has to do is point to the Gleason contract and argue that he has similar numbers, therefore he deserves a comparable salary.

Of course there are other factors/comparisons -- just tossing it out there.

Old
02-07-2012, 02:00 PM
Tim Vezina Thomas
Dougie Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fair Warning View Post
Absolutely. My point was that all Boychuk has to do is point to the Gleason contract and argue that he has similar numbers, therefore he deserves a comparable salary.

Of course there are other factors/comparisons -- just tossing it out there.
Agreed.

Boychuk hasnt made more than 2 million in his life, I suspect hed want to cash in when he can.

Old
02-07-2012, 02:02 PM
nycbruins*

Quote:
Going into camp I want them to do this. If Hamilton proves he isnt ready, then they can go elsewhere if they need to. The goal is to provide insurance for Hamilton who is still worth of playing in the top six.

And you dont "pencil in" Hamilton. Remember Pieterangelo? Who was arguably a BETTER prospect than Hamilton? Yeah, he wasnt remotely ready for the NHL after his third season. Look what happened...went back to the OHL for a bit now hes dominant.

What happens if Hamilton isn't ready? None of you including myself know if hes gonna be ready or not, not even Chiarelli knows this.
You need some serious work on reading comprehension, as well as what a pencil is.

Pencil is easily erasable, and you completely ignored my perfectly fine solution of signing an older vet like Aucoin in order to protect against Hamilton not being ready. (Aucoin being 39 after this season, make him a lot more likely to accept an affordable 1-year deal with a contender, which would be great for the Bruins.)

Chara-Hamilton (in pencil)
Whitney/Visnovsky- Seidenberg
Ference-McQuaid
Aucoin

Corvo: nowhere near the team.

Old
02-07-2012, 02:09 PM
bp13

If I'm the Bruins I either let Boychuk walk in the offseason or trade him before the deadline. Here's my argument:

- This team won the Cup last season relying heavily on a Chara-Seidenberg pairing. Both of those guys logged BIG minutes, and are even more prone to injury/fatigue than they'd otherwise be. another long playoff run would add even more mileage. Since those guys are clearly our #1 and #2, I think this team needs to consider an investment in another top pairing gy, or fringe top pairing guy, and Boychuk isn't one. Just because he manages to be decent next to the league's best defensive d-man doesn't make him a top 2 d-man.

- The team has cap space and Hamilton knocking on the door next year or the year after. They probably need to replace Corvo. I'd think they'd be better off adding $2m-$3m to the $4m they'd need for Boychuk to sign/trade for a far better defenseman than Boychuk himself.

Put simply, if they have $8m for d-men and need two next season, I'd rather split that $6/$2 or $7/$1 then go with Boychuk and another $4m man. They need some insurance for the top 2.

Old
02-07-2012, 02:18 PM
Tim Vezina Thomas
Dougie Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycbruins View Post
You need some serious work on reading comprehension, as well as what a pencil is.

Pencil is easily erasable, and you completely ignored my perfectly fine solution of signing an older vet like Aucoin in order to protect against Hamilton not being ready. (Aucoin being 39 after this season, make him a lot more likely to accept an affordable 1-year deal with a contender, which would be great for the Bruins.)

Chara-Hamilton (in pencil)
Whitney/Visnovsky- Seidenberg
Ference-McQuaid
Aucoin

Corvo: nowhere near the team.
Have many times have you heard the phrase "pen someone in?" Or "permanent marker someone in?" "Pencil someone in" doesnt always suggest not permanently, especially on a message board. And how the hell am i supposed to know what u mean? People are spewing crap like "Hamilton is gonna be so friggin nasty next to Chara on the first unit next year! Yeah!" Be clearer next time.

My point remains, Hamilton might not be ready so before we go into camp we need a top six that woudl be competitive if Hamilton WASNT ready. Not sure Corvo or Aucoin does that.

Old
02-07-2012, 02:18 PM
Lord Ahriman

Quote:
Originally Posted by bp13 View Post
If I'm the Bruins I either let Boychuk walk in the offseason or trade him before the deadline. Here's my argument:

- This team won the Cup last season relying heavily on a Chara-Seidenberg pairing. Both of those guys logged BIG minutes, and are even more prone to injury/fatigue than they'd otherwise be. another long playoff run would add even more mileage. Since those guys are clearly our #1 and #2, I think this team needs to consider an investment in another top pairing gy, or fringe top pairing guy, and Boychuk isn't one. Just because he manages to be decent next to the league's best defensive d-man doesn't make him a top 2 d-man.

- The team has cap space and Hamilton knocking on the door next year or the year after. They probably need to replace Corvo. I'd think they'd be better off adding $2m-$3m to the $4m they'd need for Boychuk to sign/trade for a far better defenseman than Boychuk himself.

Put simply, if they have $8m for d-men and need two next season, I'd rather split that $6/$2 or $7/$1 then go with Boychuk and another $4m man. They need some insurance for the top 2.

I agree, but there is no #2 available, so I think Brewer or Hejda would be a great insurance.

Old
02-07-2012, 02:19 PM
NoUserNameHere

As I think someone else mentioned, I don't see the B's trading Boychuk unless they get a D coming back in return. So I think if Edmonton is going to receive Johnny Rockets there would need to be a third team involved.

I'm pretty sure Edmonton needs defense for the future, and I think Buffalo is looking to acquire more offense and tougher players, so I wonder if a deal such as the following could work...

BOS receives Marc-Andre Gragnani
EDM receives Johnny Boychuk
BUF receives Ben Eager

Old
02-07-2012, 02:23 PM
nycbruins*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoUserNameHere View Post
As I think someone else mentioned, I don't see the B's trading Boychuk unless they get a D coming back in return. So I think if Edmonton is going to receive Johnny Rockets there would need to be a third team involved.

I'm pretty sure Edmonton needs defense for the future, and I think Buffalo is looking to acquire more offense and tougher players, so I wonder if a deal such as the following could work...

BOS receives Marc-Andre Gragnani
EDM receives Johnny Boychuk
BUF receives Ben Eager
Edmonton has no use for Boychuk unless he re-signs there. Might as well keep Boychuk for the playoffs and then trade his rights after the season. Maybe give up a prospect with "future considerations" being a wink-wink agreement to send Boychuk's negotiation rights to Edmonton as soon as the season is over. But replacing Boychuk with Gragnani right before the playoffs is a fail, IMO.

Old
02-07-2012, 02:24 PM
bp13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Ahriman View Post
I agree, but there is no #2 available, so I think Brewer or Hejda would be a great insurance.
But we don't know that, do we?

I'm not necessarily talking about the deadline here either, as my post notes. Maybe Nashville changes their mind. Maybe they deal Suter for his rights in the summer. Maybe a tea decides to move a d-man for a forward. I mean you don't have to look around the league too far before you see teams in need of offense with some D to spare. Nashville, Calgary, Dallas, LA, Buffalo, St. Louis, Phoenix to name a handful. Now the Bruins might not want to part with a forward as part of a deal, but maybe they would? Maybe they'd move Kelly, Peverley or Horton if it makes sense. Maybe they'd deal Hamilton, Spooner or Knight for guys like D'Agostino, Johnson, Yandle, etc. I'd like to think given their cap space they'd be creative and aggressive on this front.

Closed Thread