HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

The Webs/Suts Rose Ceremony - All Ryan Suter/Shea Weber FA talk

View Poll Results: Do you think that we should trade Ryan Suter at the deadline?
Yes, we need to get something for him rather than nothing. 18 30.51%
No, he's more valuable than any return that we would get for him. 41 69.49%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Old
02-06-2012, 12:37 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

vCash: 500
Suter is currently 9th in scoring by defensemen this season ... 29th last season with only 70GP.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 02:24 PM
dulzhok

Quote:
Originally Posted by utmfisher19 View Post
I just don't see how this is true at all. When Suter is out there, the game slows down for us. We become MUCH less of a "scramble" team in the defensive zone when trying to retain possession. He controls the play and calms it down for us. We break out of the zone and up the ice SO much better when he is out there. No one else on our team does that...

Oh, btw, Lidstom has ALWAYS had an average shot. He doesn't have a booming shot and he definitely doesn't try and blast them from the point (ala Pronger, Chara, etc). I'd actually say Suter and Lidstrom's shots are very comparable -- but Lidstrom's is a lil better.
That doesn't speak a word to his play in the offensive zone, which is good but not great.

A shot doesn't have to be 105mph to be good, though it helps. That's why Lidstrom has has MANY seasons over 15 goals without a "booming" shot-- he has a very accurate and effective shot.

Suter has pretty good vision (better at breaking out than actually in the offensive zone), but I would be interested to know the stats of how many of his assists are either 1) directly off Weber goals, or 2) 2nd assists from Weber shots that were tip or rebound goals.

dulzhok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 03:35 PM
cleangene

Quote:
Originally Posted by token grinder View Post
He isn't worried about this year, or maybe next. I think he is worried about getting stuck here if we continue being a cap floor team, i.e. not keeing guys like wilson, smith, amongst others around when it comes time to pay them too.
What team can GUARANTEE they will be a sure CUP contender 4-5 years down the road?? Can anyone honestly look at the league and say they will dominate their division and conference when Sutes reaches his prime and beyond?? Do I need to throw in a Miami Heat or Philadelphia Eagles reference about teams that were "loaded" for even just 1 season??? Also, can Sutes GUARANTEE he won't get injured or bring 100 percent COMMITTMENT EVERY SINGLE GAME the next 4-5 years?? Believe me, if there's anyone who knows how valuable and worth #20 is to a team, it would be me, and I know so well that management hasn't TOTALLY stepped up with a "missing piece" move yet. However, the way things are falling into place with Peks signing and the play of the team, I sometimes remain at a loss about what has taken this long for something to happen. Frustration = distraction the way I see it.

cleangene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 01:02 PM
token grinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleangene View Post
What team can GUARANTEE they will be a sure CUP contender 4-5 years down the road?? Can anyone honestly look at the league and say they will dominate their division and conference when Sutes reaches his prime and beyond?? Do I need to throw in a Miami Heat or Philadelphia Eagles reference about teams that were "loaded" for even just 1 season??? Also, can Sutes GUARANTEE he won't get injured or bring 100 percent COMMITTMENT EVERY SINGLE GAME the next 4-5 years?? Believe me, if there's anyone who knows how valuable and worth #20 is to a team, it would be me, and I know so well that management hasn't TOTALLY stepped up with a "missing piece" move yet. However, the way things are falling into place with Peks signing and the play of the team, I sometimes remain at a loss about what has taken this long for something to happen. Frustration = distraction the way I see it.
I tend to agree. I was just stating what I think is his holdup. Personally, if he jets, he jets. I hope his next team misses the playoffs every year and is a cap team.

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 01:25 PM
29dryden29

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleangene View Post
Um lets see off the top of my head one serious contender and have been for almost a decade THE WINGS

29dryden29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 02:55 PM
ILikeItILoveIt

The Soap Opera Continues .....

So Iím watching The Bachelor last night (donít ask me why. Itís like a car wreck. You have to look). Ben tells Casey to go home because sheís still in love with her former boyfriend who dumped her. Then, he has a dance-off between Blakely and Rachel and even though Blakely throws herself all over him, he sends her home and keeps the more reserved Rachel. Then, after Jamie gives Ben a kissing tutorial in an effort to show him how she really feels about him, she becomes the one girl with no rose at the ending rose ceremony. Guess Ben didnít need to be shown how to makeout. Courtney, the resident Ho, continues to be the flirt who will do/show anything to keep Benís attention. So far, heís responding. Our girl from Clarksville, Kacie, is looking good and seems the best fit for Ben.

As the analogy goes, Ben is Ryan Suter, of course. Kacie is Smashville (local TN girl, not glamorous but solid; goes to the net and the hard places; a lot of detail in her game; not a passenger). Courtney is the Flyers. Showing skin every chance they get, these Flyers think they have a divine right to Ryan because they stole our last set of stars. The other girls are any combo of the Hawks, Wings, pick your CA franchise, and Boston/NY.

Interesting the way this drama is playing out. Smashville is cast as the overachieving, honorable results given the resources, solid team with limited upside. Certainly not the caliber to satisfy a stud like Ryan looking for the Cup. The other girls are all assumed to be better matches for our Ryan. They have it all. Yet, Smashville has been going out every night proving itís an elite team. Ryan keeps saying what he wants in a long term relationship, and Smashville just keeps showing that itís offering everything Ryan says he wants.
Iím starting to wonder whether Ryan is good enough for Smashville? We are true to ourselves. Weíre going to be Cup contenders with or without Ryan (better with). If Ryan canít take his eyes off of the ďCourtneyísĒ in this league, maybe he needs to stop fantasizing and live it. Heíll find sheís shallow and canít hold a candle to Kacie.

We played the Blues in a playoff style game Saturday and kicked butt. We will do the same tonight against the Nucks (another glamour girl who took Hammer from us). One-by-one, Kacie (Smashville) will show herself to be better than all the others, and a perfect fit for Ryan. He may be too dumb to see it. Hope not but when the others are flashy their ÖÖÖ. at him 24/7, it can lead him astray.

On The Bachelor, Ben is down to 6 girls. He will choose his soulmate over the next 2 months. Our Ryan has about 10 girls to choose from. His show will go longer (up to 4 months) before we know who will get the rose. In the meantime, Smashville will pile up points, sellout games, and make a run in the playoffs. The others will promise glamour and star treatment.

If Smashville doesnít get the rose, it will not define us. It will prove that while Ryanís been telling us for years he loves us and wants to be with us forever, he was really deceiving us. So be it. If itís not real, then we donít need it. If it is, itíll be a great ending to this Reality show. Stay tuned.

ILikeItILoveIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 03:55 PM
gopreds19
Formerly gobears19

gopreds19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 09:50 PM
handtrick

Any chance that Suter's remarks at the AllStar game is one of the mains underlying causes for the poor play since the break?
Granted, we have been playing the playoff bound teams, but we just don't look like the same team that are all pulling their hardest at the yoke together.
Has the chemistry in the room been altered? He did say, albeit in other words, that this team didn't have what it takes to make a legitimate Cup run......

handtrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 09:53 PM
glenngineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by handtrick View Post
Any chance that Suter's remarks at the AllStar game is one of the mains underlying causes for the poor play since the break?
Granted, we have been playing the playoff bound teams, but we just don't look like the same team that are all pulling their hardest at the yoke together.
Has the chemistry in the room been altered? He did say, albeit in other words, that this team didn't have what it takes to make a legitimate Cup run......
Absolutely not. The team was on a roll because they were playing every other night it seemed and were practicing on the days they weren't. Timing was spot on because of this. They took a week off for the most part so any chemistry/timing that was there is now gone and they have to work on getting it back. This team is notorious when they have too much time on their hands that they lose any sort of momentum/team play very easily when not playing on a regular basis. Rinne also is not in the same groove as he was before the break. I think that's where the problem lies, not with any comments that were made.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 07:40 AM
predfan98

I tend to agree with hand trick. I think suters comments are making a difference.

When your "leaders" make comments like that ( and weber agreed by saying I don't know what took him this long) I don't see how it can't affect the locker room.

Just sitting in the airport in Boston after watching these 2 poor efforts. Suter and weber look disinterested and slow... Both games.. Suter weber and fisher just stood and watched that shg yesterday.

Suter better be including himself in those comments about the game.

I think that weber has been "distracted" all year .

predfan98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 09:22 AM
glenngineer

So we sit here and think that the team needs some additions so we can be legitimate contenders yet when the leadership group says the same thing we're saying, it's not ok? I'm still trying to wrap my head around this.

One think to ponder when we look at Weber and Suter, 3rd and 5th in ice time in the league. Did anyone think that they might be feeling physically and mentally fatigued from being on the ice so much? That has to take a toll on a player at some point. I don't think they look disinterested, more like they're playing poorly right now.

Old
02-12-2012, 09:34 AM
glenngineer

Read something interesting about Weber yesterday. If a team wants to offer him a contract as a RFA, it cannot be for less than what he's making per year right now. Now, I don't know if that is averaged out over the term of the contract but a team like Detroit can't say, come play here for us at a discount and he signs that sort of deal. Didn't know about that.

Old
02-12-2012, 09:54 AM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

You know, for a guy who is supposedly a silent leader, Suter certainly has had a lot to say this season.

Honestly, I think they are just tired. Tired of being called upon to play so many minutes, tired of the media hounding them about their future plans, tired of not having the correct pieces to win a championship, tired of being unable to get to the confrence finals much less the stanley cup. Honestly, I think Poile has made lofty and unrealistic promises to the players and the fans and this is the backlash of those promises.

Roman Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 10:43 AM
Nitrous Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joetimo View Post
You know, for a guy who is supposedly a silent leader, Suter certainly has had a lot to say this season.

Honestly, I think they are just tired. Tired of being called upon to play so many minutes, tired of the media hounding them about their future plans, tired of not having the correct pieces to win a championship, tired of being unable to get to the confrence finals much less the stanley cup. Honestly, I think Poile has made lofty and unrealistic promises to the players and the fans and this is the backlash of those promises.
lets start cutting their minutes and see what comes out of their mouths....

tired of the media hounding them? you mean for the ENTIRE WEEK in ottawa, then they got to go back to nashville where no one cares, right? I thought that's what people like about Nash, people don't bother you? not having the correct pieces to win championships? a lot of people have that gripe... Tired of not making it to WCF or SCF? people go entire careers without doing that and web/sut aren't anywhere near the end of theirs.

Nitrous Mafia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 10:49 AM
WartracePred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joetimo View Post

I think you're projecting a little here. I'd say that reflects your feelings about the situation as much, if not more, than their feelings.

WartracePred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 02:48 PM
hockey diva

"Rumor has it" a report out of Montreal is that Suter is definitely going to test FA and that Poile is looking at AK and Kaberle (barf). AK would be alright but lord do not get another pylon.

hockey diva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 02:53 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey diva View Post
"Rumor has it" a report out of Montreal is that Suter is definitely going to test FA and that Poile is looking at AK and Kaberle (barf). AK would be alright but lord do not get another pylon.
LOL, there is zero chance we are interested in Kaberle.

AK makes sense if we can't get someone better.

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 02:53 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Yeah.....that's not gonna happen

I'd rather shoot the moon and trade Suter in a package for Carter AND Nash.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 03:03 PM
I Will Son
An Army of One

Quote:
A rumor like that means its completely false to me

I Will Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 03:17 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

even if Poile knew for sure Suter was leaving I think he would keep him for the playoffs this year

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 03:24 PM
gopreds19
Formerly gobears19

Quote:
Though that return sucks in my opinion, it wouldn't surprise me based on Poile's returns for assets. It's like a given that we get the other team's worst defenseman as part of the return (Lebderp).

gopreds19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 03:27 PM
preds1

Wouldn't mind an AK & Gill package.

preds1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 03:31 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
After research and thought, that's a worse trade rumor than the Eklund rumor.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 03:34 PM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
After research and thought, that's a worse trade rumor than the Eklund rumor.
I think the Suter rumor and the trade rumors are totally separate. I don't think she means Suter for AK + Kaberle.

AtlantaWhaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 03:42 PM
hockey diva

Sorry, yes they are 2 separate "rumors".

hockey diva is offline   Reply With Quote