HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

All-Purpose Trade Rumors and Speculation Thread Part III

Closed Thread

Old
02-07-2012, 02:31 PM
hockeyball

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mafoofoo View Post
I'm pretty sure the Isles don't need any more goalies.
They actually do. Dipietro is useless. Nabby is a UFA, and Montoya is a UFA. They essentially have no goalies signed for next season.

I'd be ok with the Murray/Kubina deal mentioned above too.

Old
02-07-2012, 02:32 PM
hockeyball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fistfullofbeer View Post
Never seen Petrecki play. Is he as good as Vandy or White? Is he mainly a defensive or offensive D-man? Physical?

I would like to see Vandy get resigned if possible. He has been a good asset and filled in however we have asked him to.Gives us a good physical presence and never afraid to drop his gloves. Also, would like to see some veteran depth on every defensive pairing if possible.
I didn't adjust the defensive pairings at all, just the capgeek default.

Petrecki is a lot like Murray, but a better skater. He's a defensive d-man who hits like a truck.

Old
02-07-2012, 02:32 PM
WantonAbandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fistfullofbeer View Post
Never seen Petrecki play. Is he as good as Vandy or White? Is he mainly a defensive or offensive D-man? Physical?

I would like to see Vandy get resigned if possible. He has been a good asset and filled in however we have asked him to.Gives us a good physical presence and never afraid to drop his gloves. Also, would like to see some veteran depth on every defensive pairing if possible.
He has had serious problems in anticipating plays. He was a mess. It has seemed like he has cleaned that up quite a bit. Right now my expectations aren't very high.

Yes he is a mobile, stay at home, physical defenseman.

Old
02-07-2012, 02:35 PM
WantonAbandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
Yah I agree. Something like this:

To NYI:
Sexsmith + Ferriero
To SJS:
Nielsen

To TB:
2nd + Wingels
To SJS:
Downie

Nielson, while a rental, covers our two-way forward needs. Downie is good insurance forward depth, and a non-rental. Healthy line up would look like:

Marleau - Thornton - Pavelski
Clowe - Couture - Havlat
McGinn - Nielsen - Downie
Winchester - Handzus - Desjardin
Mitchell

That's a lot of forward depth, and a team that has a shot at the cup.
Sexsmith was about a close to being a bust as you can get. Apparently he was playing hurt... He has since been working on revitalizing his career, however I think it is far too early in that process for anyone to likely be interested in him.

Old
02-07-2012, 02:38 PM
Linkster
Rebuildt?

Rumor-du-jour Part Deux: "TSN Staff" hyping Adrian Dater / Denver Post as a "source":

Sharks looking for offence

With Martin Havlat only expected to return to the lineup in March, the San Jose Sharks should be looking for a top-six forward according to David Pollack of the Mercury News. Adrian Dater of the Denver Post reports that winger David Jones, who has scored 10 goals after scoring 27 last season, is a prime candidate to be traded.

When asked about his search, general manager Doug Wilson was tight lipped.

"Once we get in this month," Wilson told the Mercury News, "I don't make any comment about anything."

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=387127

(1) Who is David Jones?
(2) Is he better than Mitchell?

Jones: 44GP | 10G | 7A | 17pts | -9 | age 27 | $2.5m
Mitchell: 46GP | 5G | 7A | 12pts | +3 | age 27 | $1.36m

Rumor aborted.

Old
02-07-2012, 02:41 PM
hockeyball

Quote:
Originally Posted by WantonAbandon View Post
Sexsmith was about a close to being a bust as you can get. Apparently he was playing hurt... He has since been working on revitalizing his career, however I think it is far too early in that process for anyone to likely be interested in him.
He's had a great season, I'm sure plenty of teams have interest in one of Sexsmith/Stalock/Sateri/Anderson etc.

Point really simply was both players could be had pretty cheap. Downie is having an off season and Nielsen is a UFA. Low Risk, low cost.

Old
02-07-2012, 02:42 PM
WTFetus
Most popular

Quote:
Plus it's a team we can likely afford next year:

CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR

FORWARDS
Patrick Marleau ($6.900m) / Joe Thornton ($7.000m) / Joe Pavelski ($4.000m)
Ryane Clowe ($3.625m) / Logan Couture ($2.875m) / Martin Havlat ($5.000m)
Jamie McGinn ($0.680m) / Frans Nielsen ($2.000m) / Steve Downie ($2.500m)
Brad Winchester ($0.725m) / Michal Handzus ($2.500m) / Andrew Desjardins ($0.540m)
James Sheppard ($0.725m)

DEFENSEMEN
Dan Boyle ($6.666m) / Brent Burns ($5.760m)
Marc-Edouard Vlasic ($3.100m) / Douglas Murray ($2.500m)
Jason Demers ($1.250m) / Justin Braun ($1.250m)
Nick Petrecki ($1.125m)

GOALTENDERS
Antti Niemi ($3.800m) / Thomas Greiss ($0.587m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $65,109,167; BONUSES: $0
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): -$809,167

Just a rough guess there. Lots of wiggle room. Also, in my earlier line-up, I forgot about Sheppard hehe.
Downie is only 1.85 next year, but Nielsen will probably ask more than 2 million. Personally, I'd rather have Purcell than Downie.

Old
02-07-2012, 02:46 PM
Gilligans Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFetus View Post
Downie is only 1.85 next year, but Nielsen will probably ask more than 2 million. Personally, I'd rather have Purcell than Downie.
Downie is an RFA. He's making 1.85 this season, maybe that's where you're confused.

Old
02-07-2012, 02:49 PM
hockeyball

Quote:
He's fine yah, but for some reason McGinn + Downie on the same line just seems like it would drive opposing teams insane.

And possibly into ambulances.

Old
02-07-2012, 02:49 PM
WTFetus
Most popular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilligans Island View Post
Downie is an RFA. He's making 1.85 this season, maybe that's where you're confused.
Oh woops. Just mis-read capgeek. I keep on forgetting that this year is 11-12.

Old
02-07-2012, 02:52 PM
WTFetus
Most popular

Quote:
He's fine yah, but for some reason McGinn + Downie on the same line just seems like it would drive opposing teams insane.

Yeah, McGinn and Downie on the same line would be great. Purcell just seems like a better Top-6 replacement in case of injuries. Plus, he's good friends with Clowe.

Old
02-07-2012, 02:53 PM
one2gamble

Quote:

perfect, get it done

Old
02-07-2012, 02:54 PM
Arkansas Shark
Rebuild lol

Too bad we can't tell the braintrust DW to view this thread lol

Old
02-07-2012, 02:56 PM
Kevin27nyi
Global Moderator
#21KO

vCash: 50
Quote:
Islanders fans are pretty keen on the Murray for Nielsen + 3rd deal so I'd take that and then, trade the 3rd, 2nd and Wingels for Kubina and Downie. Kubina's a UFA and gives us a replacement for Murray.

Do it DW!
I'm not sure about the pick but I'd be for a Nielsen for Murray swap. Straight up I value Nielsen more than Murray but given contracts, need on defense and Casey Cizikas emergence I'd make the trade.

I'd miss Nielsen a lot, by far teh best defensive forward but Isles have limited budget and need D and a scoring 2nd line center and can't get too much money tied up in Nielsen IMO.
Quote:
They actually do. Dipietro is useless. Nabby is a UFA, and Montoya is a UFA. They essentially have no goalies signed for next season.

I'd be ok with the Murray/Kubina deal mentioned above too.
Disagree. Montoya will definitely be resigned and Kevin Poulin should be set for the NHL next year. DP is definitely useless. I will miss Nabokov, threw the rejection behind him and showed up with professionalism and is giving us a great chance to win.

Old
02-07-2012, 03:00 PM
hockeyball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin27NYI View Post
I'm not sure about the pick but I'd be for a Nielsen for Murray swap. Straight up I value Nielsen more than Murray but given contracts, need on defense and Casey Cizikas emergence I'd make the trade.

I'd miss Nielsen a lot, by far teh best defensive forward but Isles have limited budget and need D and a scoring 2nd line center and can't get too much money tied up in Nielsen IMO.

Disagree. Montoya will definitely be resigned and Kevin Poulin should be set for the NHL next year. DP is definitely useless. I will miss Nabokov, threw the rejection behind him and showed up with professionalism and is giving us a great chance to win.
Right, but he's not signed now is what im saying. Sexsmith/Sateri/Stalock are all excellent goalie prospects near NHL ready. If you guys are looking for a goalie for the future, these would be great buy low's, all have starter potential.

Old
02-07-2012, 03:03 PM
Splitbtw
Rebuild? Refresh?

Quote:
Islanders fans are pretty keen on the Murray for Nielsen + 3rd deal so I'd take that and then, trade the 3rd, 2nd and Wingels for Kubina and Downie. Kubina's a UFA and gives us a replacement for Murray.

Do it DW!
Nah... this is why we are getting Gil.

Old
02-07-2012, 03:13 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by magic school bus View Post
Maybe you should look at wins instead. The goal is to win the most games, not score the most goals. We won the Presidents Trophy just in 2008-09.
I'm not complaining about our record. Just out GPG.

Old
02-07-2012, 03:14 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 567
Quote:
Yeah, McGinn and Downie on the same line would be great. Purcell just seems like a better Top-6 replacement in case of injuries. Plus, he's good friends with Clowe.
NEWFIE POWER!

Old
02-07-2012, 03:17 PM
magic school bus

vCash: 1965
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny2134 View Post
Was the "writer" Ray Fatto?

Curious.
Yeah, it came from the Fat man. I am the person who calls him an idiot in the comments section.

http://www.csnbayarea.com/blog/shark...32&feedID=5878

What do we need, Ray?
Quote:
Next, you have to think of what the Sharks need most, and that is clearly second- and third-line scoring help.
Ok, who should we target?
Quote:
Then you have to go down the list of scoring wingers with consumable or rental contracts, and you may as well shoot high -- like Corey Perry of Anaheim (1 year after this at $4.875M), Derek Roy of Buffalo (1 year, $5.5M), Morrow of Dallas (if it gets to that, 1 year at $4.1M), Joe Thornton's pal Ales Hemsky of Edmonton (unrestricted free agent) Patrik Elias (1 year, $5M) and Zach Parise of New Jersey (UFA), Jarome Iginla of Calgary (1 year, $7M) or Shane Doan of Phoenix (UFA).
Alright, what are we trading for these rental players?
Quote:
Of the 10 core Sharks, the one that Doug Wilson would have to put in such a deal is almost certainly Joe Pavelski, because you can't put Thomas Greiss, Jason Demers and two draft picks and pile them high enough to make any of the above five. Perry, if you could get him, would probably take all that plus Pavelski, which makes him cost-prohibitive, if he were available at all.
I don't know about that, Ray!

Old
02-07-2012, 03:28 PM
Arkansas Shark
Rebuild lol

Quote:
Yeah, it came from the Fat man. I am the person who calls him an idiot in the comments section.

http://www.csnbayarea.com/blog/shark...32&feedID=5878

What do we need, Ray?

Ok, who should we target?

Alright, what are we trading for these rental players?

I don't know about that, Ray!
I read Fatto's debauchery and comments section in its entirety.

Bravo magic school bus, bravo.

Old
02-07-2012, 03:36 PM
Linkster
Rebuildt?

Quote:
Ratto's entire fanbase read your comment and gang-ranked it.

(-1)

Maybe that's his donut wholesaler protecting his investment.

Old
02-07-2012, 03:45 PM
bigwillie

Send a message via AIM to bigwillie
Quote:

We wouldn't have to beat the Canucks, just hurt them all and incur a forfeit.

Old
02-07-2012, 03:52 PM
magic school bus

vCash: 1965
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linkster View Post
Ratto's entire fanbase read your comment and gang-ranked it.

(-1)

Maybe that's his donut wholesaler protecting his investment.
it was worth it. I'll take the -1, we all know plus/minus is a terrible stat.

Old
02-07-2012, 04:14 PM
do0glas

the stuff they let into print these days is abysmal...especially in sports.

this is no exception.

I don't disagree that Pavelski is a possibility to be traded, i really dont...but when your squad NEEDS versatility, scoring, and depth a legit top 6 doesnt seem like it would be on the table.

realistically you wont see any inter-conference trading unless the team is well and truly out of the play off picture and there is 0 animosity, so dont even mention perry!

Ruutu continues to be hyped, and these things tend to lead to over valuations on Carolinas part, so pavs-ruutu wont happen unless we sweeten the deal unfortunately...maybe DW could talk sense into him, but are we really getting an upgrade by dumping pavs for ruutu? not to mention his UFA status this summer...so we could potential talk his contract down since we are perennial play off contenders or give him a raise and not lose any other bodies. this would be a bad trade that would NOT put us in a better position.
he is a C that shoots left...pavs shoots right and can play right/C. and has broken 60points before, and is a year younger. so many reasons this trade never happens.

Old
02-07-2012, 05:00 PM
Splitbtw
Rebuild? Refresh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by do0glas View Post
the stuff they let into print these days is abysmal...especially in sports.

this is no exception.

I don't disagree that Pavelski is a possibility to be traded, i really dont...but when your squad NEEDS versatility, scoring, and depth a legit top 6 doesnt seem like it would be on the table.

realistically you wont see any inter-conference trading unless the team is well and truly out of the play off picture and there is 0 animosity, so dont even mention perry!

Ruutu continues to be hyped, and these things tend to lead to over valuations on Carolinas part, so pavs-ruutu wont happen unless we sweeten the deal unfortunately...maybe DW could talk sense into him, but are we really getting an upgrade by dumping pavs for ruutu? not to mention his UFA status this summer...so we could potential talk his contract down since we are perennial play off contenders or give him a raise and not lose any other bodies. this would be a bad trade that would NOT put us in a better position.
he is a C that shoots left...pavs shoots right and can play right/C. and has broken 60points before, and is a year younger. so many reasons this trade never happens.
That won't happen period unless somehow Staal goes the other way and we add picks/prospects and maybe something for salary purposes.

Closed Thread