HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Rate the Rangers D prospects

Closed Thread

Old
01-11-2006, 11:58 AM
Fletch

vCash: 500
On Tyutin...

I think he's improving. His first couple months weren't too great, in my opinion, and it wasn't just consistency attributable to being a rookie. His intensity level is very low. He was missing assignments. Of course people peg it to Poti, but I think Tyutin was bringing Poti down. In the last few games he's been showing flashes of what got people excited. Stepping into a defender and using his large frame to steal away pucks and moving the puck nicely. He still has gaffes, but I can attribute them to being a rookie. I do believe, however, that Staal will quickly pass Tyutin, but I can't say if anybody else will. I like Taylor as a third pair, but not sure how his game translates into the new era. Haven't been too impressed with Liffiton - but haven't seen him this year. Haven't seen Baranka either. Not a big fan of Pock, but it seems that he's starting to turn the corner as an offenseman. And Sauer...I just hope he stays healthy.

Old
01-11-2006, 01:31 PM
TheZherdev

Quote:
Originally Posted by natureboy
What games have you been watching. Granted he is still young, but he has had a very sub par year. The last two games he has finally been hitting the net with his shots. Remember he was suppose to be a #1 or defenseman but personally I see him as a 4 maybe 3.
Its amazing how people judge players ability when they are 23 and in their rookie year.

Hes starting to gain confidence. You guys were jumping on poti the first 20 games and his game has completely turned around. You guys have to be WAY more patient.

Old
01-11-2006, 01:49 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackburn2727
You guys were jumping on poti the first 20 games and his game has completely turned around.
I guess it all depends on your definition of "completely turning it around".

Old
01-11-2006, 03:43 PM
nrf83

will someone please explain to me how michael sauer is injury prone. he had a congenital hip problem, for which he had surgery and fixed problem, ( that also affected entire family), and he bruised his shoulder this year and missed a few games. where is the injury prone problem?

Old
01-11-2006, 04:34 PM
BringBackNeilSmith

I'd REALLY rather we go no further with the "injury-prone Sauer" stuff... it's been done to death of late. I guess if it happens again he is and if it doesn't he isn't. NEXT!

Haven't seen enough of hardly any of these players to do a "ranking". Stall appears to be a no-brainer, thank goodness. He looked great in the WJC action I saw.

I also suspect there's some guys missing and/or undervalued in many of these posts. Not only does Liffiton seem to be coming on strongly in Hartford (c'mon MSG, can't we see just a FEW games?), but this Girardi fellow seems to be making major inroads; witness today's Courant...

http://www.courant.com/sports/hockey...lines-wolfpack

... from which the following quotes are drawn:

"Girardi has one goal and nine assists in 23 games. At plus-16, he leads the Pack and is fifth overall in the league and second among rookies. He and defensive partner Dave Liffiton got a high compliment against Portland on Friday when matched against Dustin Penner, Ryan Getzlaf and Corey Perry, one of the AHL's best lines. "

"His career is going on a really fast pace, and we have to make sure he stays at this level and pushes himself with some fine-tuning on quicker puck movement and recognizing plays," said Pack assistant coach Ulf Samuelsson.

Said coach Jim Schoenfeld: " It's not that he has beat someone else out because of their poor performance. He's in there because of his good performance. For a guy who started the season in Charlotte, he's been a pretty valuable component and is only going to continue to grow." "

Also: I'm curious about Guenin and need to get my act together and watch a game or two of his in the next few weeks. Seems like a junkyard dog type from what I've read with little offense but a lot of determination and leadership quality. Never too many guys like that in the system.

Old
01-11-2006, 07:33 PM
BobMarleyNYR

Send a message via AIM to BobMarleyNYR
Rate them, ok. I rate them an A-

Old
01-11-2006, 10:25 PM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRGoalieGlut
Edge, so do you think that Sauer can be better than Staal eventually?
That's a tough question.

My guess is probably not, because Staal is very balanced.

Sauer though has more "Talent" so hypothetically if they both played to their maximum potential (unlikely, but for arguments sake let's go with it) Sauer would be better.

They're not far apart in natural talent, meaning Sauer isn't head and shoulders more talented.

I guess I'd put it like that, if I were to give progress a numerical rating and Staal progressed at an 80, it would take Sauer producing at a 90-95 to pass him.

If I had to put money I'd say Staal becomes the better player, but this is all VERY early and really to be taken with a grain of salt at this point.

Old
01-11-2006, 10:27 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Train
Personally, from what I saw last season, I like Liffiton and Taylor. They both need to add strength and body weight to really battle in the NHL. I don't think Taylor's skating is bad but do agree that Liffiton looks more mobile (he is smaller). My one concern about Guenin is that he's 23 and still in college. First Ranger cup of coffee might not come till he's 25 if he makes it at all. I was hoping he'd be in Hartford this season.
Taylor is about the strongest guy I've ever seen OFF the ice. He's a TINY bit weak on it, however. But man is he jacked.

Old
01-11-2006, 10:28 PM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLANTARANGER
on TV or in person, could you describe his game, skating, balance, agility, physical player or not, passing, shooting skills.

Moves the puck well, not necessarily an offensive wizard but he moves the puck very well. He's more of a balanced defender, he can play physical but he isn't really a banger. He won't necessarily back down, but I can't see him as a real "fighter" at the pro level.

Skating is pretty good and overall most skills check in above average. The real question mark is health. If he's healthy he's a legit prospect.

He does a little bit of everything well. Reminds me a lot of Redden.

Old
01-11-2006, 10:28 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Here's mine

1. Staal
2. Tyutin
3. Sauer
4. Baranka
5. Pock