HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Flyers draft selection #196 -- Joacim Eriksson -- G -- Brynas Jr/Sweden

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-01-2012, 09:42 AM
  #26
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...
 
sa cyred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Traveling...
Country: Cuba
Posts: 14,857
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikke View Post
He is, but I'd still like to know why they signed him and let Ericsson go.
Hovinen's sv% hasn't improved, just his GAA.

Granted, they were a lot better than Ericsson's last year.
Oh well, it's probably a non-issue, I just prefer Ericsson because he's Swedish, I guess.
I do think us at 50 contracts had something to do with it. At the time, Backlund still had 1 year left on a two year deal. And after an average season, I guess they thought Hovinen was the better choice. I wouldnt be surprised if a team signs him this summer though and he comes over and plays in the AHL next season.

sa cyred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 11:01 AM
  #27
Amateur Hour
Registered User
 
Amateur Hour's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Negadelphia
Posts: 6,507
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
I do think us at 50 contracts had something to do with it. At the time, Backlund still had 1 year left on a two year deal. And after an average season, I guess they thought Hovinen was the better choice. I wouldnt be surprised if a team signs him this summer though and he comes over and plays in the AHL next season.
I just hope he doesn't came back to haunt us for letting him go.

Amateur Hour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 11:37 AM
  #28
Larry44
FlyersTankNation
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 4,967
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
I do think us at 50 contracts had something to do with it. At the time, Backlund still had 1 year left on a two year deal. And after an average season, I guess they thought Hovinen was the better choice. I wouldnt be surprised if a team signs him this summer though and he comes over and plays in the AHL next season.
Yeah, Homer said it was a combo of the contract limit and that the scouts thought Hovinen was closer and therefore a better option to get here sooner, which is probably still the case.

Nothing is stopping the Flyers from offering him a UFA contract now, and maybe even a better one than they could have last year. He likes it in Philly, he might just go for it.

At some point this summer or next year, it might be necessary to trade Bob to someone who needs him as a starter, to keep him from going back to Russia.

Then again, who'd have thought, after all the talk about it two years ago, that both Bernier and Schneider would still be with their teams....

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 11:55 AM
  #29
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Lumberton, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 13,871
vCash: 500
Bryzgalov is on the verge of becoming a catastrophe.

Bobrovsky's future could be forfeit in the wake of Bryzgalov.

Backlund's contract has been terminated with Leighton's and Bacashihua's up at the end of the season.

Hovinen is a late bloomer and those kind of guys are hit or miss in the NHL.

We have an opening for an AHL goalie next season.

Eriksson has been pretty much amazing since day one minus a few blips like last season.



I count six extremely important reasons why the Flyers should already be working on handing Eriksson a contract in Philadelphia.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 12:17 PM
  #30
Psuhockey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,704
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
Bobrovsky's future could be forfeit in the wake of Bryzgalov.

That's a bit doom and gloom. Bob is flyers property til 27 so another 3-4 years. A lot can change with the lineup in that time, especially with the Flyers.

I agree, though, that signing Erickson would be a great idea

Psuhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 12:44 PM
  #31
Larry44
FlyersTankNation
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 4,967
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
Bryzgalov is on the verge of becoming a catastrophe.

Bobrovsky's future could be forfeit in the wake of Bryzgalov.

Backlund's contract has been terminated with Leighton's and Bacashihua's up at the end of the season.

Hovinen is a late bloomer and those kind of guys are hit or miss in the NHL.

We have an opening for an AHL goalie next season.

Eriksson has been pretty much amazing since day one minus a few blips like last season.

I count six extremely important reasons why the Flyers should already be working on handing Eriksson a contract in Philadelphia.
Eriksson blipped when he should have produced, it cost him a contract. He might get one someday if and when he's ready to come over and try the AHL.

Bob's future is not a problem. If Leighton's back hadn't seized up, Bob would've been backup to Backlund last year in the AHL, unless we went out and got someone else either before the deadline or after, like Bryz.

Bob is right where he's supposed to be right now: competent NHL backup. It's too soon to tell if he'll be a legit #1 on a contending team.

After this year, Homer will have to decide whether to trade him or bring him back next year to backup Bryz again.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 02:51 PM
  #32
mirimon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: The Wrong Town
Country: Sweden
Posts: 2,780
vCash: 500
Eriksson signed a new two-year deal with Skellefteå yesterday, taking him through the 13-14 season. I'm fairly sure that there's an out-clause in there if a NHL team comes knocking however.

mirimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 02:52 PM
  #33
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Lumberton, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 13,871
vCash: 500
First of all, we're just as unsure of Bryzgalov's future as a starting NHL goalie as we are of Bobrovsky. That said, based on play so far this season it is Bryzgalov who has earned the backup job regardless of his last handful of solid games.

Secondly, blaming Eriksson for struggling last season as an SEL rookie is like blaming Giroux for not being a PPG forward his rookie year. Eriksson has undoubtedly emerged as an SEL star.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 04:15 PM
  #34
Spongolium*
Potato Magician
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bridgend,UK
Country: Wales
Posts: 8,653
vCash: 500
The flyers also stated that "the monster" wasn't an NHL capable starter. They were right on that one too.

Bryz will be fine.

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 04:44 PM
  #35
BobbyClarkeFan16
Registered User
 
BobbyClarkeFan16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: London Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,755
vCash: 500
I always felt Flyers brass were off character in not offering Eriksson a contract. He had one bad season in his career. He had never faced any sort of adversity or an opportunity to battle through it. They over reacted in the case of Eriksson and now he's really showing what he can do. I'd love for Holmgren to go back and correct this mistake because his career path has been eerily similar to Henrik Lundqvist. The funny thing about Eriksson was that even with that bad season he had, his numbers were still very decent. That's what surprised me about the move.

And to be perfectly honest, I'm not 100% sold on Hovinen either. Yeah, he's big, but that's really about it. He's never really had a great career and has only had two season in which he's been really good.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 04:55 PM
  #36
FlyersFan61290
Registered User
 
FlyersFan61290's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 7,599
vCash: 500
I would love to Hovinen and Eriksson as our AHL goalies next season but I doubt it will happen.

FlyersFan61290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 11:02 AM
  #37
ranold26
Get off my rink!
 
ranold26's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: 127.0.0.1
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,138
vCash: 500
Last time I checked, the Flyers let Eriksson go. He is having a solid SEL season.

ranold26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 11:18 AM
  #38
Prongo
Beer
 
Prongo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 12,659
vCash: 500
Was it ever reported that the Flyers management just didn't offer a contract or that maybe Eriksson turned down our offer?

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 11:28 AM
  #39
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...
 
sa cyred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Traveling...
Country: Cuba
Posts: 14,857
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan9180 View Post
Was it ever reported that the Flyers management just didn't offer a contract or that maybe Eriksson turned down our offer?
Flyers never offered him a contract. They were near the 50 contracts and felt that Hovinen was the better choice. Still hoping that they can get him a contract and next season roll with a Hovinen/Eriksson combo. Yea it's a rookie combo, but this season's goalies havent been great either.

sa cyred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 11:36 AM
  #40
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
AICMAM
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Alexandria
Country: Liberia
Posts: 33,837
vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
I always felt Flyers brass were off character in not offering Eriksson a contract. He had one bad season in his career. He had never faced any sort of adversity or an opportunity to battle through it. They over reacted in the case of Eriksson and now he's really showing what he can do. I'd love for Holmgren to go back and correct this mistake because his career path has been eerily similar to Henrik Lundqvist. The funny thing about Eriksson was that even with that bad season he had, his numbers were still very decent. That's what surprised me about the move.

And to be perfectly honest, I'm not 100% sold on Hovinen either. Yeah, he's big, but that's really about it. He's never really had a great career and has only had two season in which he's been really good.
These are my thoughts exactly. I don't understand why they let him go. Surely there were other contracts we could've done without.

I have a feeling that the organization saw Leighton making saves by being large behind a great defense, and decided that "Large = Good."

__________________
Down in the basement, I've got a Craftsman lathe. Show it to the children when they misbehave.
Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 11:51 AM
  #41
mirimon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: The Wrong Town
Country: Sweden
Posts: 2,780
vCash: 500
Mikael Renberg apparently thinks that Eriksson is the best goalkeeper in the SEL right now. He's having a terrific season, but imo that goalie is still Viktor Fasth . Eriksson was also left out of the squad for the next Euro Hockey Tournament, which is played here in Sweden later this week. Viktor Fasht and Erik Ersberg were selected, and when Ersberg had to decline Johan Gustafsson took his place. Niko Hovinen will represent Finland, however, and Jakub Kovar has been called upon by the Czech team (other former Flyers/Phantoms playing will be Petr Nedved, Lukas Kaspar, Nikolay Zherdev, Ossi Väänänen and Lasse Kukkonen).

mirimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 04:55 PM
  #42
BobbyClarkeFan16
Registered User
 
BobbyClarkeFan16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: London Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,755
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirimon View Post
Mikael Renberg apparently thinks that Eriksson is the best goalkeeper in the SEL right now. He's having a terrific season, but imo that goalie is still Viktor Fasth . Eriksson was also left out of the squad for the next Euro Hockey Tournament, which is played here in Sweden later this week. Viktor Fasht and Erik Ersberg were selected, and when Ersberg had to decline Johan Gustafsson took his place. Niko Hovinen will represent Finland, however, and Jakub Kovar has been called upon by the Czech team (other former Flyers/Phantoms playing will be Petr Nedved, Lukas Kaspar, Nikolay Zherdev, Ossi Väänänen and Lasse Kukkonen).
Viktor Fasht is also 30 years old. I see where Renberg is coming from though. People forget that Eriksson is only 21 years old. Now that the Flyers have a few spots available for a contract, I hope they do right and sign Eriksson asap.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 05:13 PM
  #43
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave
 
DrinkFightFlyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 11,699
vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
I can't believe people are still upset about this.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 05:30 PM
  #44
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Lumberton, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 13,871
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
I can't believe people are still upset about this.
I can't believe people are so flippant about this.


As for our contract commitments moving forward:

FORWARDS: 18
Briere, Hartnell, Giroux, Schenn, Talbot, Simmonds, vanRiemsdyk, Couturier, Shelley, Read, Rinaldo, Akeson, Brown, McGinn, Noebels, Pither, Harper, Wellwood

DEFENSEMEN: 12
Timonen, Pronger, Meszaros, Coburn, Gustafsson, Lilja, Walker, Kessel, Manning, Lauridsen, Bartulis, Hostetter

GOALTENDERS: 3
Bryzgalov, Bobrovsky, Hovinen

TOTAL COMMITMENTS: 33/50

Bold denotes potential/likely re-commitment in the offseason.

UFAs: 2/8
Jagr, Laperriere, Betts, Carle, Leighton, Bacashihua, Jancevski, Ford

RFAs: 6/8
Voracek, Zolnierczyk, Sestito, Bourdon, Testwuide, Rowe, Holmstrom, Kalinski

TOTAL LIKELY RE-COMMITMENTS: 8/16


TOTAL LIKELY CONTRACT COMMITMENTS: 41/50

OPEN CONTRACT SPOTS: 9/50

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 05:39 PM
  #45
mirimon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: The Wrong Town
Country: Sweden
Posts: 2,780
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
Viktor Fasht is also 30 years old. I see where Renberg is coming from though. People forget that Eriksson is only 21 years old. Now that the Flyers have a few spots available for a contract, I hope they do right and sign Eriksson asap.
Yeah, I didn't mind to imply that we should try to sign Fasth. He's playing for my team here in Sweden, so I kind of hope he won't be signed by any NHL team. AIK would be ****ed without him. Just thought I should point out that while Eriksson is having a great season, we perhaps shouldn't get too carried away about it. The SEL is a pretty low-scoring league, this year especially so I believe, and he is playing for one of the best teams in the league both defensively and overall.

That said, if we give Eriksson a contract this summer, I wouldn't mind it all that much. He's definitely got some potential and a tandem of him and Hovinen would be pretty interesting for the Phantoms.

mirimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 05:39 PM
  #46
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave
 
DrinkFightFlyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 11,699
vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
I can't believe people are so flippant about this.


As for our contract commitments moving forward:

FORWARDS: 18
Briere, Hartnell, Giroux, Schenn, Talbot, Simmonds, vanRiemsdyk, Couturier, Shelley, Read, Rinaldo, Akeson, Brown, McGinn, Noebels, Pither, Harper, Wellwood

DEFENSEMEN: 12
Timonen, Pronger, Meszaros, Coburn, Gustafsson, Lilja, Walker, Kessel, Manning, Lauridsen, Bartulis, Hostetter

GOALTENDERS: 3
Bryzgalov, Bobrovsky, Hovinen

TOTAL COMMITMENTS: 33/50

Bold denotes potential/likely re-commitment in the offseason.

UFAs: 2/8
Jagr, Laperriere, Betts, Carle, Leighton, Bacashihua, Jancevski, Ford

RFAs: 6/8
Voracek, Zolnierczyk, Sestito, Bourdon, Testwuide, Rowe, Holmstrom, Kalinski

TOTAL LIKELY RE-COMMITMENTS: 8/16


TOTAL LIKELY CONTRACT COMMITMENTS: 41/50

OPEN CONTRACT SPOTS: 9/50
That's all well and good, but why waste a contract on a guy that the club doesn't think is going to be worth it or think they have a better guy for the job? If they sign him again, great. But if they don't, isn't it possible that the guy just isn't good (or good enough to get a contract from this team)? Or we really any better off with this guy? I doubt he would be used as trade bait considering he went undrafted in last year's draft and is currently unsigned. He obviously isn't playing for this team now or in the near future. People get very worked up about contract space, etc but want to offer this guy a contract against the advice of the Flyers management (who have a pretty good track record with young players recently) and against the advice of all the other teams in the NHL that passed on him and didn't offer him a contract.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 05:45 PM
  #47
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
AICMAM
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Alexandria
Country: Liberia
Posts: 33,837
vCash: 156
Or, perhaps the organization is wrong and should at least have him under contract in case he meets the potential he's showing.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 05:49 PM
  #48
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave
 
DrinkFightFlyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 11,699
vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Or, perhaps the organization is wrong and should at least have him under contract in case he meets the potential he's showing.
That's fine but this is once again (I think I had this argument when this first happened ) when I bring up that there are paid professionals scouting this kid. Not fans watching YouTube clips and reading Bill Meltzer's tweets. I know everyone on here is an expert an knows at least as much as the pros, but I will defer to the organization and the other 29 that passed on him. Sure, they could be mistaken, but judging by the fact that he went undrafted, then unsigned, and passed up for national teams, that has to at least give credence to the fact that they know what they are doing here. Not proof positive but at this point it is all we have because who knows how good he will be.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 05:54 PM
  #49
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
AICMAM
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Alexandria
Country: Liberia
Posts: 33,837
vCash: 156
Ah yes, the "The organization never makes any mistakes and we should never quesion them because we can't possibly know anything" argument.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 06:02 PM
  #50
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave
 
DrinkFightFlyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 11,699
vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Ah yes, the "The organization never makes any mistakes and we should never quesion them because we can't possibly know anything" argument.
That is clearly not what I said. Here all the evidence, (going undrafted and unsigned, passed up for national teams, etc) points to the fact that they were right. If someone else signed him and he was making a move to NA or was drafted or something showing at least anything that they made a mistake would be a good argument for you, but that hasn't happened. So how have they made a mistake? In what ways has this move negatively affected this team?

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:31 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.