HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Would you wear this cage in a game?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-07-2012, 04:46 PM
  #26
Droid6
Registered User
 
Droid6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Norfolk, VA
Country: United States
Posts: 99
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by damacumich View Post
No wonder, it was $10 according to hockeytron.
So is this: http://www.hockeytron.com/tr355.html

Droid6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 04:51 PM
  #27
capebretoncanadien
Registered User
 
capebretoncanadien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 2,062
vCash: 500
Wow that is super ugly. No way would I ever wear it. Stick with the normal cage you'll get used to it after awhile.

capebretoncanadien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 05:07 PM
  #28
Droid6
Registered User
 
Droid6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Norfolk, VA
Country: United States
Posts: 99
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by capebretoncanadien View Post
Wow that is super ugly. No way would I ever wear it. Stick with the normal cage you'll get used to it after awhile.
I don't care about looks. I could never go back to a cage, if I don't stick with this I'll go back to my full visor and just deal with opening it between shifts to get air in there.

Droid6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 05:17 PM
  #29
Fixed to Ruin
Come wit it now!
 
Fixed to Ruin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Grande Prairie, AB
Posts: 6,031
vCash: 50
Have you looked at a combo shield?



Might be the best of both worlds for you. Although i don't know if the 50-60$ price tag is an issue or not

Fixed to Ruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 05:18 PM
  #30
Doland
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
 
Doland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Nairobi
Country: Kenya
Posts: 5,086
vCash: 566
Regular cage. I'd be too worried to get a stick in the eye

Doland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 05:22 PM
  #31
Droid6
Registered User
 
Droid6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Norfolk, VA
Country: United States
Posts: 99
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by devils4cup View Post
Have you looked at a combo shield?



Might be the best of both worlds for you. Although i don't know if the 50-60$ price tag is an issue or not
Yeah, that looks good but I dropped $50 on this one already.


Droid6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 05:27 PM
  #32
Fixed to Ruin
Come wit it now!
 
Fixed to Ruin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Grande Prairie, AB
Posts: 6,031
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Droid6 View Post
Yeah, that looks good but I dropped $50 on this one already.

Ok,

What i don't understand is that from the people I know who own combo shields they don't tend to fog up as quickly or at all compared to the full shields.

However, by comparing the two, the ventilation seems to be exactly the same.

I've had a cage, switched to a shield and hated it so i went back to a cage. When you a nasty high stick in the face. The paint marks on your shield is like Chinese water torture until you can buff it out

Fixed to Ruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 05:45 PM
  #33
Droid6
Registered User
 
Droid6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Norfolk, VA
Country: United States
Posts: 99
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by devils4cup View Post
Ok,

What i don't understand is that from the people I know who own combo shields they don't tend to fog up as quickly or at all compared to the full shields.

However, by comparing the two, the ventilation seems to be exactly the same.

I've had a cage, switched to a shield and hated it so i went back to a cage. When you a nasty high stick in the face. The paint marks on your shield is like Chinese water torture until you can buff it out
Yeah, the ventilation seems the same in the picture but all that extra plastic really suffocates you when you're sitting on the bench. You're right about scuffs, I hate them and i feel the same way about the bars in my line of sight wearing a cage. I may just break down and drop some cash on the visor combo. I probably shouldn't even wear the cat eye cage, not because of injury but because I may not be able to go back after having all that visibility!

Droid6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 06:03 PM
  #34
shawn1331
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 183
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by devils4cup View Post


I knew, i saw that thing once before ...
LOL I was thinking the same thing...beat me to it.

shawn1331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 06:15 PM
  #35
Leo Trollmarov
I was in the pool!!
 
Leo Trollmarov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,548
vCash: 500
You asked if anyone would wear it, everyone says no and you seem to be getting a bit defensive.

Leo Trollmarov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 06:28 PM
  #36
Droid6
Registered User
 
Droid6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Norfolk, VA
Country: United States
Posts: 99
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kessly Snipes View Post
You asked if anyone would wear it, everyone says no and you seem to be getting a bit defensive.
I promise you I'm not and expected everyone to say no but I am a little surprised how many people care what a piece of gear looks like. If oven mitts made be play better and have more fun playing, I'd be wearing oven mitts out there.

Droid6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 06:37 PM
  #37
vapor11
Registered User
 
vapor11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 417
vCash: 500
Joke thread

vapor11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 06:44 PM
  #38
capebretoncanadien
Registered User
 
capebretoncanadien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 2,062
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Droid6 View Post
I don't care about looks. I could never go back to a cage, if I don't stick with this I'll go back to my full visor and just deal with opening it between shifts to get air in there.
Well to each their own.

I don't know how much time you've spent with a normal cage on but I find you don't even see the bars once you get used to them.

I feel bad for you cause you're going to take tons of abuse for that monstrosity if you do decide to go with it.

capebretoncanadien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 06:48 PM
  #39
Preisst
Party On!!
 
Preisst's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Western Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,178
vCash: 500
I wouldn't wear it but thats only cuz I don't wear any cage or visor. Other than that go for it. It would provide some protection if thats a concern, who cares what it looks like and who cares even less what others think about it.

Preisst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 06:53 PM
  #40
Droid6
Registered User
 
Droid6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Norfolk, VA
Country: United States
Posts: 99
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kessel View Post
Joke thread
I guess?

Quote:
Originally Posted by capebretoncanadien View Post
I feel bad for you cause you're going to take tons of abuse for that monstrosity if you do decide to go with it.
Thanks for caring but I usually am playing hockey at games and not listening for advice on my appearance. No reason to feel bad for me, I'm a big boy.

Droid6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 06:57 PM
  #41
Droid6
Registered User
 
Droid6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Norfolk, VA
Country: United States
Posts: 99
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Preisst View Post
I wouldn't wear it but thats only cuz I don't wear any cage or visor. Other than that go for it. It would provide some protection if thats a concern, who cares what it looks like and who cares even less what others think about it.
Thanks, I wish I had the courage/confidence to go without.

Droid6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 07:08 PM
  #42
Dampland
YEO must GO
 
Dampland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Job Search City
Country: United States
Posts: 2,309
vCash: 50
Nice old school cage. I wore one of those back in late 70's.

Dampland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 07:10 PM
  #43
mhkehoe
Registered User
 
mhkehoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 256
vCash: 500
It is incredibly ugly, but that didn't stop me from wearing the Itech/Bauer Recon fishbowl.

There is no chance I would wear that thing. It is better than nothing at all, but there are tons of holes in it that would allow a puck or stick through. I don't want to say it is worse than wearing nothing at all, but at least in that situation, you don't have any false sense of security and are always playing defensively.

The Bauer 9900 cage is fantastic (if you change your mind on wearing a cage), and has the best vision of any cage. I would even go as far as saying it is better than the fishbowl/combo with pucks in your feet (still not as good as visor obviously).

Problem I always had with any visor (full or half) is the ventilation. I get so much sweat in my eyes, and with a cage it happens far less.

mhkehoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 07:21 PM
  #44
Droid6
Registered User
 
Droid6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Norfolk, VA
Country: United States
Posts: 99
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhkehoe View Post
The Bauer 9900 cage is fantastic (if you change your mind on wearing a cage), and has the best vision of any cage.
Thanks, I'll definitely check it out.

Droid6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 07:25 PM
  #45
Stickmata
Registered User
 
Stickmata's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,489
vCash: 500
I have seen guys wearing that cage on the ice. And I think it's almost worthless. I would never wear it. I'd rather lose a few teeth than one of my eyes.

Stickmata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 07:35 PM
  #46
Droid6
Registered User
 
Droid6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Norfolk, VA
Country: United States
Posts: 99
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickmata View Post
I have seen guys wearing that cage on the ice. And I think it's almost worthless. I would never wear it. I'd rather lose a few teeth than one of my eyes.
A guy in my rec league didn't wear anything took a slap shot to the eye and lost it. That's a big reason I would never wear nothing, this thing will stop a puck to the eye, my concern would be taking a stick to the eye which would most likely result in some stitches but you never know. I think ultimately I'm going to go with one of the suggestions given here but I wish there was an option that suited me better. Maybe I'll buy a welder and design something better!

Droid6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 07:43 PM
  #47
Droid6
Registered User
 
Droid6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Norfolk, VA
Country: United States
Posts: 99
vCash: 500
Something kind of funny.



Would you really want Sidney Crosby as a spokesman for your high-end helmet?! If one of the best players in the world is out for a year from a concussion while wearing your helmet you should distribute new advertisements.

Droid6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 07:52 PM
  #48
OneMoreAstronaut
Reduce chainsaw size
 
OneMoreAstronaut's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Canada
Posts: 4,446
vCash: 50
The bars seem so separated and unsupportive of each other that even if a puck can't technically fit through them, I have the feeling that if you took one in just the right place you'd have a few bent bars and one splattered eyeball.

OneMoreAstronaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 07:57 PM
  #49
Droid6
Registered User
 
Droid6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Norfolk, VA
Country: United States
Posts: 99
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneMoreAstronaut View Post
The bars seem so separated and unsupportive of each other that even if a puck can't technically fit through them, I have the feeling that if you took one in just the right place you'd have a few bent bars and one splattered eyeball.
Let's hope they don't let Scott Gomez join the C league I play in!


Droid6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 08:37 PM
  #50
Stickmata
Registered User
 
Stickmata's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,489
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Droid6 View Post
A guy in my rec league didn't wear anything took a slap shot to the eye and lost it. That's a big reason I would never wear nothing, this thing will stop a puck to the eye, my concern would be taking a stick to the eye which would most likely result in some stitches but you never know. I think ultimately I'm going to go with one of the suggestions given here but I wish there was an option that suited me better. Maybe I'll buy a welder and design something better!
The likelihood of getting a stick in the face is way higher than getting a puck to the face. My experience is probably at least 10-1. I wear a long half shield, adjusted close to the face. I too tried the full shield and found it to be way too hot and I also found the vents at the top got in the way of my vision when I had my head down and tried to look up ice.

Stickmata is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:34 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.