HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Becoming an NHL GM

Old
02-06-2012, 07:12 PM
Vito_81

vCash: 500
Is there even a GM in the league that wasn't at least in the AHL a player or had a close family connection to an NHL/AHL player?

Vito_81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 11:39 PM
McTank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob View Post
http://www.sportsnetworker.com/2012/...h-lewis-howes/

Here is a webinar that might be worth watching...
It's not finding the page for this right now... Maybe cuz I'm on my iPod, I'll try again on my laptop tommorow

McTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 12:00 AM
Evgeni Giroux

Check out brian burkes article,

Evgeni Giroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 12:11 AM
Timbo Slice
Tank Nation

Becoming a GM is incredibly difficult. A more realistic goal would be simply getting into the room where the decisions are made, like an Assistant GM or something of that nature. Volunteering with sports teams can be very valuable to you, because it gives you experience. If you have some of that before college, that will look fantastic. In college, major in sports management, which will lead to internships. That gets your foot in the door. If you work hard, and show qualities that make you stand out, then you will get somewhere. The only problem is that sports management is becoming incredibly popular, and jobs are becoming much harder to get. Hard work can overcome that though, like I said before. Good luck!

Timbo Slice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 12:36 AM
Evgeni Giroux

Build championship teams on NHL 12, and play GM games and keeper leagues. Like above said shoot for something more realistic like a player rep or something

Old
02-07-2012, 03:56 PM
McTank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evgeni Giroux View Post
Check out brian burkes article,
Read it last night, pretty good article made me start thinking about planning a fallback

Old
02-07-2012, 03:59 PM
McTank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbo Slice View Post
Becoming a GM is incredibly difficult. A more realistic goal would be simply getting into the room where the decisions are made, like an Assistant GM or something of that nature. Volunteering with sports teams can be very valuable to you, because it gives you experience. If you have some of that before college, that will look fantastic. In college, major in sports management, which will lead to internships. That gets your foot in the door. If you work hard, and show qualities that make you stand out, then you will get somewhere. The only problem is that sports management is becoming incredibly popular, and jobs are becoming much harder to get. Hard work can overcome that though, like I said before. Good luck!
Ya this is exactly the kind of job I want, I know being the actual GM is near impossible but like you said I just wanna be in the room where the decisions are made, will look more into where I could take a sports management course this weekend

Old
02-07-2012, 04:00 PM
McTank

Quote:
Build championship teams on NHL 12, and play GM games and keeper leagues. Like above said shoot for something more realistic like a player rep or something
Hahah well I'm first and my hockey pools but in sure most people on here our, where can I play in keeper leagues? I've heard of them but the pool I do with my buddies has a new draft every year

Old
02-07-2012, 04:03 PM
Evgeni Giroux

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEYAREGOODSCARYGOOD View Post
Hahah well I'm first and my hockey pools but in sure most people on here our, where can I play in keeper leagues? I've heard of them but the pool I do with my buddies has a new draft every year
haha I was joking about the be a GM and Keeper leagues. Just try to make contacts through hockey.

Old
02-07-2012, 04:35 PM
McTank

Quote:
haha I was joking about the be a GM and Keeper leagues. Just try to make contacts through hockey.
Thought so lol

Old
02-07-2012, 09:24 PM
Ghills23

I'm currently a senior in college studying Sports Management. As others have said it's extremely competitive to get in the player personnel side of hockey. My advice would volunteer with the Leafs or the Marlies. Eventually get an internship. Network with people. Sometimes it is more about who you know then what you know. Definitely major in Sports Management or Business.

If you have any more questions shoot me a PM.

Ghills23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 12:03 AM
McTank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghills23 View Post
I'm currently a senior in college studying Sports Management. As others have said it's extremely competitive to get in the player personnel side of hockey. My advice would volunteer with the Leafs or the Marlies. Eventually get an internship. Network with people. Sometimes it is more about who you know then what you know. Definitely major in Sports Management or Business.

If you have any more questions shoot me a PM.
Okay thanks I'll send you a PM I have a couple questions

Old
02-16-2012, 03:20 PM
BarDownJeulz

Hey I actually found this topic looking for the same thing. I'm in the same boat as the OP. What I'm planning on doing to make some "ins" in the hockey world is start volunteering/working with my junior team (London Knights). Getting in to the hockey business is a classic example of "it's not what you know, but who you know".

BarDownJeulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 03:35 PM
nivek
Rookie User

As someone who went to school for a year in Sports Management....

Stop.

Don't take it.

Go for Business, earn your MBA, go to law school, and make connections wherever you go. You'll probably never be a NHL GM, but you can be a higher-up in a NHL front office, which is still pretty sweet.

nivek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 11:38 PM
McTank

Well I'm getting ready to apply to universities now and will be applying to brock for sports management

Old
11-09-2012, 06:47 PM
oldgoalie
In rebuild hell

Best of luck to you.
The NHL coaches and GMs is a "good ole boys" club. It's who you know, and who you blow.
I hate to rain on your parade, but that's the God's honest truth.

oldgoalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 08:01 PM
kcoxsabresfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheyAreGoodScaryGood View Post
Well I'm getting ready to apply to universities now and will be applying to brock for sports management
Burke's article is a good place to start. Recognize you will almost certainly not be a GM, but could potentially gain employment in the vast supporting, and less glamorous, world of hockey.

Burke recommended attempting to get an internship with a team. I can confirm this is a smart move. I worked for the Sabres in hospitality alongside many interns before I moved away from Buffalo. The Sabres employ interns from Canisius, Buff State, and UB, and several back office employees there came from these programs. If you can't get an internship, try to get employed by a club in some other way. The saying 'its not what you know, its who you know," is much much truer than you think. In my non-hockey hospitality position, I was able to meet Pegula, Regier, Ruff, Ted Black, Cliff Benson, Ken Sawyer, a whole host of players, ticket, pr, scouting, coaching, and game day/logistical staff, and actually Brian Burke himself during world juniors. Knowing people goes a long long way towards actually getting a job in sports, or any other white collar profession.

kcoxsabresfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 10:02 PM

I think in this day and age you must play professional hockey to have any chance at getting a job with a NHL team. Dan Bylsma said he has never met a scout who hasent played professional hockey. Its also about who you know, ie Stan Bowman.

Last edited by 1972: 11-09-2012 at 10:12 PM.
1972 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 10:25 PM
kcoxsabresfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcy Regier View Post
I think in this day and age you must play professional hockey to have any chance at getting a job with a NHL team. Dan Bylsma said he has never met a scout who hasent played professional hockey. Its also about who you know, ie Stan Bowman.
This is probably true if you are set on being a scout. Although, I think one of the Sabre's scouts is the son of a player, but still played in the OHL or something. But as far as getting a job in the NHL, there are still dozens of other positions that don't involve coaching or scouting.

kcoxsabresfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcoxsabresfan View Post
This is probably true if you are set on being a scout. Although, I think one of the Sabre's scouts is the son of a player, but still played in the OHL or something. But as far as getting a job in the NHL, there are still dozens of other positions that don't involve coaching or scouting.
I should have stated Hockey Operations which I meant to include.

Old
11-10-2012, 04:35 PM
McTank

Thanks guys, I know I wont be a GM, I just want a job in sports really, I know a brock SM graduate is working for the sabres now, I think he is vp of marketing

Old
11-10-2012, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheyAreGoodScaryGood View Post
Thanks guys, I know I wont be a GM, I just want a job in sports really, I know a brock SM graduate is working for the sabres now, I think he is vp of marketing
you could always take contract law after your undergrad if being an agent interest you.

Old
11-10-2012, 04:42 PM
McTank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcy Regier View Post
you could always take contract law after your undergrad if being an agent interest you.
Yes it does, I will have to look into that too