HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Louis Leblanc

Closed Thread

Old
02-08-2012, 07:59 AM
muzion

vCash: 500
What's impressive to me is how high his hockey IQ is, considering the organization moved him to RW because of a perceived lack thereof, ala Chris Higgins. And I must say I agreed with management considering what we saw from Leblanc in the QMJHL last year and with Hockey Canada.

I was disappointed with him because from what I saw of him in Midget AAA, he looked to me like a poor man's version of Jonathan Toews.

Instead he looked like a future 3rd liner, and with Dany Dubé and Stéphane Leroux voicing this opinion everytime they were asked, the hype had died down so much the expectations were not those of a 1st rounder anymore.

It's clear to me he can become a 2nd line center, but for the meantime I want to see him on Eller's right wing for the remainder of the season!

Old
02-08-2012, 08:01 AM
canadiensnation
Go Habs Go

Scott Gomez GP|24 G|0 A|7 PTS|7 +/-|-3 PIM|10 0 0 0 S|41 S%|0.0 ------7.357m

Louis Leblanc 18 3 4 7 4 10 0 0 0 23 13.0 ---------1.175m

Old
02-08-2012, 08:07 AM
Maxpac

IMO where Leblanc seperates himself from Higgins is those plays he's able to complete at really high speed. Herarely coughs up the puck when he has control of the puck. If a team plays a north-south game, Leblanc is most certainly a must.

I can't wait until next season when he comes to camp healthier and heavier, that's when we'll know what the kid is really made of.

Old
02-08-2012, 08:23 AM
Mathradio
Go Roy Munson!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicko999 View Post
Someone must post this in the Leafs board

Nazem Kadri: 7th overall pick in 2009... 6 pts in 19 games
Louis Leblanc: 18th overall pick in 2009... 7 pts in 18 games
Or rather:

Brayden Schenn: 5th overall pick in 2009... 8 points in 25 games
Nazem Kadri: 7th overall pick in 2009... 6 points in 19 games
Louis Leblanc: 18th overall pick in 2009... 7 points in 18 games

Old
02-08-2012, 08:26 AM
gillyguzzler

He's been productive at every level.

The USHL is just as good as the Q and he produced. He outscored Kristo as a 17 year old.
He produced at Harvard as a freshman.
He adjusted well to the Q but did not dominate as much as he thought he should.
He was effective this year in Hamilton.
He's produced a bit in Montreal in a very limited role.

He'll get stronger and faster. I see him as a very good 3rd line winger or a good 2nd line winger in two or three years. I just hope the expectations aren't too high and they let the kid develop.

Old
02-08-2012, 08:38 AM
FrankMTL

As I mentionned before, in a couple of years I wouldn't mind seeing Leblanc with Eller and Bournival on the 3rd line. That would be a great checking line that can produce offence as well. All three players are extremely smart with the puck. They can also all play center so there's always a back-up to take a face off.

Old
02-08-2012, 08:45 AM
ChuckyToGally
Former Carey Roy

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMTL View Post
As I mentionned before, in a couple of years I wouldn't mind seeing Leblanc with Eller and Bournival on the 3rd line. That would be a great checking line that can produce offence as well. All three players are extremely smart with the puck. They can also all play center so there's always a back-up to take a face off.
I would also like to see that line.

Old
02-08-2012, 09:20 AM
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred

I like the Higgins comparison, because I really liked Higgins, too bad it didn't work out, he was really good for us expect that last year here, someone here mentioned he might have had a drinking problem, not sure how true that is, but it makes sense that it was an off ice issue, he was never the same after leaving here. I remember they had a feature on him and his family and they all grew up Habs fan, and seemed to take the trade hard.

But like someone said, Higgins played hard, was always in amazing shape, but he did score a lot of goals because of Saku, but gotta him credit, he use to have scoring chance after score change, I think that is why he thought he would be a 40 goal scorer lol.

But I'd like Leblanc to be like the Higgins we had here, decent 2nd liner, or very good 3rd liner. Both drafted Centre, but than play wing.

I agree with everyone that Leblanc needs to bulk up a little, and I think he will this summer, last summer he had shoulder injury, and he said that Erik Cole invited him to come training with him in the summer but he couldn't because of the injury, so I expect Cole to take him under his wing this summer and bulk him up a little.

Old
02-08-2012, 10:03 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by habs03 View Post
I like the Higgins comparison, because I really liked Higgins, too bad it didn't work out, he was really good for us expect that last year here, someone here mentioned he might have had a drinking problem, not sure how true that is, but it makes sense that it was an off ice issue, he was never the same after leaving here. I remember they had a feature on him and his family and they all grew up Habs fan, and seemed to take the trade hard.

But like someone said, Higgins played hard, was always in amazing shape, but he did score a lot of goals because of Saku, but gotta him credit, he use to have scoring chance after score change, I think that is why he thought he would be a 40 goal scorer lol.

But I'd like Leblanc to be like the Higgins we had here, decent 2nd liner, or very good 3rd liner. Both drafted Centre, but than play wing.

I agree with everyone that Leblanc needs to bulk up a little, and I think he will this summer, last summer he had shoulder injury, and he said that Erik Cole invited him to come training with him in the summer but he couldn't because of the injury, so I expect Cole to take him under his wing this summer and bulk him up a little.
The big edge LeBlanc has over Higgins is he has much more natural hands and his hockey sense is on a totally different level. Higgins has more straight line speed though.

Old
02-08-2012, 10:04 AM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
From 49 goals in 143 games to 43 in 231 since.
Higgins has really benefitted from playing on some awesome PPs.

His even-strength goal totals are pretty much bang-on where they were with the Habs, but Higgins would double his total on the Habs' dominant PP, which doesn't happen anymore.

Old
02-08-2012, 10:37 AM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:
The big edge LeBlanc has over Higgins is he has much more natural hands and his hockey sense is on a totally different level. Higgins has more straight line speed though.
Higgins had really good hockey sense. Leblanc might have more of a playmaking ability, but Higgins read plays better IMO. He was a stud at cutting passes and sliding into scoring opportunities.

Old
02-08-2012, 10:40 AM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzion View Post
What's impressive to me is how high his hockey IQ is, considering the organization moved him to RW because of a perceived lack thereof, ala Chris Higgins. And I must say I agreed with management considering what we saw from Leblanc in the QMJHL last year and with Hockey Canada.

I was disappointed with him because from what I saw of him in Midget AAA, he looked to me like a poor man's version of Jonathan Toews.

Instead he looked like a future 3rd liner, and with Dany Dubé and Stéphane Leroux voicing this opinion everytime they were asked, the hype had died down so much the expectations were not those of a 1st rounder anymore.

It's clear to me he can become a 2nd line center, but for the meantime I want to see him on Eller's right wing for the remainder of the season!
I thought if anything the reason he was moved to the wing was because of his lack of size.

Really the move makes sense, the team is stacked with 2 way Cs. In the short term at least I like him on the wing, he's a perfect compliment to someone like Eller.

Old
02-08-2012, 10:53 AM
Captain Smurf
Naively Optimistic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Em Ancien View Post
Higgins had really good hockey sense. Leblanc might have more of a playmaking ability, but Higgins read plays better IMO. He was a stud at cutting passes and sliding into scoring opportunities.
Eh, I disagree. Higgins definitely had good hockey sense, but his strength was more offensive awareness. LL makes smart plays all over the ice and makes better reads overall.

Old
02-08-2012, 11:15 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Wonder what you guys are thinking when you compare Higgins to Leblanc. Are you actually comparing 1st year Higgins to 1st year Leblanc? 'Cause Higgins did improve and obviously wasn't the same player when he left than when he started. If we compare him at the same period, I'd say that Higgins started his career with a better skating technique. And he already had a stronger body than Leblanc. What I like about Leblanc though is the improvement he made just WITHIN this year and that's impressive. Also like how he is mean and gritty, yet, he HAS to improve his strength during this summer, that's crucial to him if he wants to have the means to his game.

The comparison is there though. We can have ourselves a REAL pretty good 2-way player. And when I say REAL, it's not the type of 2-way player that some were calling Tom Pyatt was....That's not 2 way. That's 1 defensive way. 'Cause even the 1 defensive way has their exception goal from time to time. See Hal Gill has 8 points....same number of points than Pyatt....does everybody says that Gill is a good 2-way player? Sorry for the rant. Going back to topic, Leblanc would definately be more effective with some additional strength, so our conditioning team cannot miss the ball with this guy. This summer is crucial so that Leblanc becomes an important member of it as soon as next season starts.

Old
02-08-2012, 11:24 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Love Leblanc, kid is really impressing me so far in his career. Always finishing his checks, always in front of the net not backing from anyone and has good scoring chances every game despite not being use that much. I really like what I see from him hopefully he keeps it up

Old
02-08-2012, 11:25 AM
katatoniak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Wonder what you guys are thinking when you compare Higgins to Leblanc. Are you actually comparing 1st year Higgins to 1st year Leblanc? 'Cause Higgins did improve and obviously wasn't the same player when he left than when he started. If we compare him at the same period, I'd say that Higgins started his career with a better skating technique. And he already had a stronger body than Leblanc. What I like about Leblanc though is the improvement he made just WITHIN this year and that's impressive. Also like how he is mean and gritty, yet, he HAS to improve his strength during this summer, that's crucial to him if he wants to have the means to his game.

The comparison is there though. We can have ourselves a REAL pretty good 2-way player. And when I say REAL, it's not the type of 2-way player that some were calling Tom Pyatt was....That's not 2 way. That's 1 defensive way. 'Cause even the 1 defensive way has their exception goal from time to time. See Hal Gill has 8 points....same number of points than Pyatt....does everybody says that Gill is a good 2-way player? Sorry for the rant. Going back to topic, Leblanc would definately be more effective with some additional strength, so our conditioning team cannot miss the ball with this guy. This summer is crucial so that Leblanc becomes an important member of it as soon as next season starts.
Let's hope he doesnt hurt himself before the summer ... like last season

Old
02-08-2012, 02:52 PM
NewHabsEra*

I think C Higgins compares more to Bournival than Leblanc..

Old
02-08-2012, 02:58 PM
Talks to Goalposts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathradio View Post
Or rather:

Brayden Schenn: 5th overall pick in 2009... 8 points in 25 games
Nazem Kadri: 7th overall pick in 2009... 6 points in 19 games
Louis Leblanc: 18th overall pick in 2009... 7 points in 18 games
That's just on a per game basis with Leblanc having a bunch of low ice-time games to start. Plus Kadri got power play points while Leblanc's were all gotten the hard way at even strength

Even strength scoring rates for 2009 draft 1st round forwards (Exclude Taveres, Duchene, Kane as far ahead of the pack)
Per 60 minute ES scoring:

Leblanc: 2.31
Johansson: 1.76
Caron: 1.49
Kassian: 1.32
Kadri: 1.29
Schenn: 1.26
Palmeiri: 1.04
Josefson: 0.80
MPS: 0.48

Now, this is over a short period of time so you shouldn't take this to mean Leblanc is head and shoulders better than these guys (if he was he'd be doing better in the AHL this year). But at the very least this demonstrates that Leblanc is just as good as any of his peers in the NHL except for the 3 established stars from the top of the draft.

Old
02-08-2012, 03:17 PM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsEra View Post
I think C Higgins compares more to Bournival than Leblanc..
They're all similar players, but I see Leblanc as the better one between the two.

Old
02-08-2012, 03:28 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post

Other than 2 NHL games at 20, Higgins wasn't really in the NHL until he was 22. He basically played AHL at 20 and 21. It will be interesting to compare LeBlanc at 22 and 23 to what Higgins did.

Old
02-08-2012, 03:31 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Other than 2 NHL games at 20, Higgins wasn't really in the NHL until he was 22. He basically played AHL at 20 and 21. It will be interesting to compare LeBlanc at 22 and 23 to what Higgins did.
Great point. And something which, I think would be in Leblanc's favour after all.

Old
02-08-2012, 03:43 PM
Zeroknowledge*

I like Leblanc, I just hope people are able to be realistic and not to expect too much from him, at this point I envision him as a player who averages 40-50 points a year and I'd love nothing more for him than to be more than that.

Old
02-08-2012, 03:56 PM
m00ks

I'm curious as to what position he'll eventually settle into at this level. Right now we have Pleka, DD, Eller, Gomez*, Leblanc down the middle. Even if Gomez goes, if we pick another center at the draft (Galyenchuk or Grigs if suck bad enough), that's a log jam of 5 centers fighting for a spot.

Wonder if he'll develop into a winger as he's currently being used.

Old
02-08-2012, 03:58 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by m00ks View Post
I'm curious as to what position he'll eventually settle into at this level. Right now we have Pleka, DD, Eller, Gomez*, Leblanc down the middle. Even if Gomez goes, if we pick another center at the draft (Galyenchuk or Grigs if suck bad enough), that's a log jam of 5 centers fighting for a spot.

Wonder if he'll develop into a winger as he's currently being used.
To me, Leblanc is not a centerman in the NHL.

Old
02-08-2012, 06:04 PM
FrankMTL

Article on RDS comparing Leblanc to Antoine Vermette...

http://www.rds.ca/canadien/chroniques/334901.html

Not a bad compariason in my opinion...Although I do hope Leblanc has a little more offensive upside.

Closed Thread