HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

#54, Kings @ Lightning - 2/7/12 3-1W Postgame THOUGHTS AND TIDBITS

Old
02-07-2012, 11:11 PM
Quattro

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by lagwagon0 View Post
Not to rain on the parade but the goal notwithstanding, the 2nd line was still absolutely hideous most of the game. Zero sustained pressure most of the time, consistent turnovers entering the zone, and dump and no puck recovery in the offensive zone.
wow 21 posts into the PGT before a negative post. might be a record

Quattro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 11:35 PM
Jason Lewis
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by markisonfire View Post
Am I the only one that was impressed with Tampa's arena? Very clear to see the players and puck, I enjoyed the views as well.
That view they give you on the powerplay is ****ing awesome.

Like the above the defending teams net with a whole view of the zone. You get such a great feel for everything going on in front of the net and the vision.

Jason Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 11:51 PM
Fishhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjmay View Post
What was different about the Carolina game?

Ward stood on his head and made some unbelievable stops, if the Kings FINISHED those chances, they win.

They did that tonight, they won.

The effort and gameplan in all 3 games was the same, the difference was, Halak, and Ward, and that's about it.
They played on the perimeter in the Carolina game. They could have had many more scoring chances, but they chose to avoid the slot. Outside of Kopitar's goal, they didn't go near the place. I disagree that the effort was the same. They were coasting for large parts of that game.

Fishhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 11:51 PM
MynameisKing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaygokings View Post
That view they give you on the powerplay is ****ing awesome.

Like the above the defending teams net with a whole view of the zone. You get such a great feel for everything going on in front of the net and the vision.
I think its the NBC Sports telecast. Didn't really notice, but it reminds me of our telecasts when the play is in the near boards everything is obstructed. You'd have to read player's body language and which direction the camera is going to know who won the puck battle.

MynameisKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 12:00 AM
HansH
Unwelcome Spectre

After tonight's games:

89 points gets the Kings into the playoffs as #8 seed (27 more points in 28 games, 13-14-1 record, .482 percentage)

Current pace: 94 points, #7 seed (matching up against Detroit in first round).

Sutter Points Percentage: 11-4-6 == .667. On that pace, the Kings finish with 99 points... tied for 6th with Chicago but losing the non-SO-wins tiebreaker.

To win the Pacific, the Kings need 106 points. That's 44 more points in 28 games -- a record of 22-6, and a percentage of .786.

IF you assume a three-game-regulation sweep against the Sharks in their remaining head-to-head matchups, then the Kings need a .660 pace in the other 25 games (16-8-1) to stay within reach.

(Oh, and the requirements to move up to #5 are the same as to win the Pacific, not assuming the sweep)

HansH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 12:19 AM
cheap77
Go Kings!

Did anyone else love Quicks terrible attempt at the empty net? lol

cheap77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 12:48 AM
The Butcher
Gutless

See? I told you, everything is fine.

The Butcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 12:59 AM
johnjm22

Seems like the Kings usually play well in Tampa Bay.

I'm happy with the win, but I'm still very discouraged by our 2nd and 3rd lines. This team needs a bit of a re-loading in the off season (we need 2 scoring wingers, a quality bottom 6 winger, resign Fraser/Mitchell, hopefully Holloway/King/Nolan replace Richardson/Lewis/Hunter)

johnjm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 01:02 AM
kingsdarkness

penner played like ****, but had a goal and some chances, if he plays like **** and scores ever other game i guess im happy.. atleast he gets a goal.

kingsdarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 01:02 AM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seventyx7 View Post
That was a great lock-down third period. The best part was the way we locked it down, by playing in their zone the entire period. Thought everyone played well, but Willie Mitchell stood out to me. Not an easy task to shut down St. Louis and Stamkos like that.
Agreed, we owned that third period. Literally. I think they went like 15 minutes without a shot in the third, and they were trying to pressure us. That is the most relaxed I've been with a third period lead in a long time.

Overall, I thought the game was a pretty good effort. We stunk in the first period outside of Kopi's goal, but after Stamkos tied the game we responded really well and took control of the game. And I thought this was one of the best, if not the best Penner game yet. Plus he has three goals in his last eight games, so maybe he's coming around a bit. We need it.

It was pretty obvious why our offense is so bad overall though. The PP was once again as flatfooted as a British police officer. I've had girlfriends who move more in bed than the Kings move with the man-advantage, and that's not a compliment to them. Even the few cross ice pass attempts were pretty weak and easily read. The only dangerous that got through was from Stoll to Richards and Stoll messed that up by putting it in an awkward spot for Richards.

Getting into the offensive zone was also pretty weak much of the game. We don't generate enough speed coming through the neutral zone to back off the defense and we don't dump an chase well enough to get the puck regularly.

We did generate some nuetral zone turnovers, especially in the third, and that ignited some opportunities which was good to see.

Once again, this game showed we need some size and muscle, as well as a legit goalscorer in the line up. Our goaltending and overall team defense is plenty fine, but we need help up front.

Finally, I don't think I've seen Richardson have a worse game than he did tonight. Lewis wasn't very good either, but he didn't hurt himself out there. Richardson was easily knocekd off the puck, looked lost overall and did nothing positive that I seen. Did anyone see any different? 6:30 in ice time, was he hurt or did Sutter just bench him?

kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 01:03 AM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Btw, did anyone else find it odd that Martinez was dressed finally for a game against the very team he might get dealt to if those Malone trade rumours are legit? Not saying DL was showcasing him, but funny that VV gets sat for this game of all games.

Old
02-08-2012, 01:11 AM
CTKingsFan
6/11/12 & 6/13/14

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsdarkness View Post
penner played like ****, but had a goal and some chances, if he plays like **** and scores ever other game i guess im happy.. atleast he gets a goal.

CTKingsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 01:16 AM
Martyros

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan View Post
Finally, I don't think I've seen Richardson have a worse game than he did tonight. Lewis wasn't very good either, but he didn't hurt himself out there. Richardson was easily knocekd off the puck, looked lost overall and did nothing positive that I seen. Did anyone see any different? 6:30 in ice time, was he hurt or did Sutter just bench him?
Not to sound too negative, but I don't think i've seen Richardson play WELL this season. All I've seen from him is speed, and that's the only thing that's keeping him in the NHL.

Martyros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 01:19 AM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 424
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
It's weird how our first, second, and third place scorers are all separated by exactly 10.

“This is for you Kings fans wherever you may be. All the frustration and disappointment of the past is gone. The 45 year drought is over. The Los Angeles Kings are indeed the Kings of the National Hockey League. They are the 2012 Stanley Cup Champions!” - Bob Miller
Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 02:02 AM
drugold
drunk, goals&swagger

vCash: 1015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishhead View Post
They played on the perimeter in the Carolina game. They could have had many more scoring chances, but they chose to avoid the slot. Outside of Kopitar's goal, they didn't go near the place. I disagree that the effort was the same. They were coasting for large parts of that game.
What about Richards shutty breakaway?

drugold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 05:16 AM
Scottkmlps

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsdarkness View Post
Seems you're only seeing what you want to see.

Scottkmlps is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 08:54 AM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
I dozed off during the game, woke up to Penner scoring, figured I was having a dream within a dream. If the Kings score 3 goals a game they will be tough to beat which means Lombardi needs to do his job, shuffle out the guys who aren't carrying their weight and shuffle in guys who will do what it takes to win.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 09:50 AM
TheSlovenian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkanen View Post
I dozed off during the game, woke up to Penner scoring, figured I was having a dream within a dream. If the Kings score 3 goals a game they will be tough to beat which means Lombardi needs to do his job, shuffle out the guys who aren't carrying their weight and shuffle in guys who will do what it takes to win.
Exactly. Kings are pretty much "unbeatable" when scoring >=3 goals. Stoll needs to be put back to center or traded. He is not a good winger and never will be.

BTW, put Penner on first line. Kopi and him had some chemistry last year before the injury. Just a thought.

TheSlovenian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 10:04 AM
topliner967

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Brown View Post
IMHO, this was the best game Penner has ever played in a Kings jersey. He could have had 2 or 3 goals. At one point, I actually saw him in a race with a Bolt for a loose puck......and he almost won!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBernierFan View Post
That might have been Penner's best game as a King. He was all over the ice in a good way and that was a great shot on his goal.
Agree, I thought he was skating hard and he seemed focused on getting to the net, creating chances and challenging the D. He had some chances to get a 2nd goal, too bad he didn't.

topliner967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 10:29 AM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansH View Post
After tonight's games:

89 points gets the Kings into the playoffs as #8 seed (27 more points in 28 games, 13-14-1 record, .482 percentage)

Current pace: 94 points, #7 seed (matching up against Detroit in first round).

Sutter Points Percentage: 11-4-6 == .667. On that pace, the Kings finish with 99 points... tied for 6th with Chicago but losing the non-SO-wins tiebreaker.

To win the Pacific, the Kings need 106 points. That's 44 more points in 28 games -- a record of 22-6, and a percentage of .786.

IF you assume a three-game-regulation sweep against the Sharks in their remaining head-to-head matchups, then the Kings need a .660 pace in the other 25 games (16-8-1) to stay within reach.

(Oh, and the requirements to move up to #5 are the same as to win the Pacific, not assuming the sweep)
The 6th seed is probably the best we can hope for. Chicago's goaltending issues make them catchable.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 10:42 AM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martyros View Post
Not to sound too negative, but I don't think i've seen Richardson play WELL this season. All I've seen from him is speed, and that's the only thing that's keeping him in the NHL.
Yep, I was pretty much trying to say this as well. The fact he's been so bad this year, and then played so bad last night that I noticed it, shows ho bad he really was last night. It was awful.

If we do a major deal and he isn't shunted into it as a cap dump, I'd be mystified. The guy is wasting a roster spot big time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSlovenian View Post
Exactly. Kings are pretty much "unbeatable" when scoring >=3 goals. Stoll needs to be put back to center or traded. He is not a good winger and never will be.

BTW, put Penner on first line. Kopi and him had some chemistry last year before the injury. Just a thought.
Considering Penner has 3 goals in his last eight games, I wouldn't move him anywhere right now. I'd replace Stoll with someone with speed and hands though. A guy like Cogliano would be a really good fit there I think.

Old
02-08-2012, 11:04 AM
Muzzinga
Regehr GOAT

wow, totally didnt know there was a game yesterday until now.

Nice to see a win though

Muzzinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 11:27 AM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Penner is going to be Warren Rychel-esque in this year's playoffs, book it.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 11:43 AM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
Penner is going to be Warren Rychel-esque in this year's playoffs, book it.
I want Chris Kontos-esque.

Old
02-08-2012, 01:45 PM
The Butcher
Gutless

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan View Post
Agreed, we owned that third period. Literally. I think they went like 15 minutes without a shot in the third, and they were trying to pressure us. That is the most relaxed I've been with a third period lead in a long time.

Overall, I thought the game was a pretty good effort. We stunk in the first period outside of Kopi's goal, but after Stamkos tied the game we responded really well and took control of the game. And I thought this was one of the best, if not the best Penner game yet. Plus he has three goals in his last eight games, so maybe he's coming around a bit. We need it.

It was pretty obvious why our offense is so bad overall though. The PP was once again as flatfooted as a British police officer. I've had girlfriends who move more in bed than the Kings move with the man-advantage, and that's not a compliment to them. Even the few cross ice pass attempts were pretty weak and easily read. The only dangerous that got through was from Stoll to Richards and Stoll messed that up by putting it in an awkward spot for Richards.

Getting into the offensive zone was also pretty weak much of the game. We don't generate enough speed coming through the neutral zone to back off the defense and we don't dump an chase well enough to get the puck regularly.

We did generate some nuetral zone turnovers, especially in the third, and that ignited some opportunities which was good to see.

Once again, this game showed we need some size and muscle, as well as a legit goalscorer in the line up. Our goaltending and overall team defense is plenty fine, but we need help up front.

Wait a second.... you've had girlfriends?

The Butcher is offline   Reply With Quote