HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

3 Stars and GBR: #51 @ Devils

View Poll Results: POTG
Artem Anisimov 1 1.85%
Derek Stepan 0 0%
Marian Gaborik 5 9.26%
Brandon Dubinsky 0 0%
Brandon Prust 3 5.56%
Brian Boyle 0 0%
Ryan Callahan 0 0%
Mike Rupp 1 1.85%
John Mitchell 0 0%
Carl Hagelin 8 14.81%
Henrik Lunqvist 25 46.30%
Ryan McDonagh 6 11.11%
Dan Girardi 1 1.85%
Michael Del Zotto 3 5.56%
Stu Bickel 1 1.85%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Old
02-08-2012, 08:43 AM
True Blue

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by manisback121 View Post
You guys have been improving vastly from the late 90s sign the old guys to big money, a hope and a dream. However with Tortorella and his extremely disciplined system, comes a sense of predictability with line matchups.
Not sure that predictability helps when you set out to grind the other team down.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 08:44 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zil View Post
Wolski sucks. Let's give Zucc a shot.
There are some small players that do it. But he does not strike me as one. Not sure that he can function playing the Devils, Bruins or Flyers as as top-6 forward. And his game does not translate to a bottom-2 lines.

Old
02-08-2012, 08:57 AM
Blueshirt Special
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RANDOMH3RO View Post
I hope we get to see you guys in the playoffs. I don't feel confident about the chances of the devils, but I just love watching them play the rangers. It always means so much more against the rangers than any other team.
It will be a war. My perception of the Rangers is that the road to The Cup is fated to include an epic bout with the Devils.

I see that series, whatever round it comes in, as a way for The Rangers to truly galvanize the team and fulfill their destiny.

Just my gut feeling.

02-08-2012, 09:31 AM
manisback121

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
Not sure that predictability helps when you set out to grind the other team down.
You guys needed and got someone to hold Sather down to not making knee jerk moves to put butts in the seats.

You guys also needed someone to put disciplined play on the ice, however you also need an assistant that tortorella trusts in opinion and willing to execute plans if line match ups are an issue.

manisback121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 09:31 AM
Bardof425*

Let's start with the good.

Ryan McDonagh is a beast; ask Kovi
Gabby had a very good game
Hank was excellent as usual
Staal is coming along

Now for the all-time Redden: That moron ref

Considering the teams playing, the score, the standings, the time of the incident, and the time of year this is one of the worst calls I have ever seen.

Let's assume that the ref didn't see that Gabby was pushed into Fatso. We must assume that because if he was watching Gabby bearing down on the net he would have made a different call. So, all he saw was Gabby make contact with Fatso and that Volchenkov was on Gabby's back lying next to him in the crease. Why, why didn't he consult with the other three blind mice before making an emphatic, game ending, point stealing abortion of a decision? Why? Because that a-hole wanted to be a hero. He couldn't have seen WHY Gabby ended up on top of Fatso. Because if he did, the call goes the other way.

If he would have grabbed the other ref and the linesmen and said "All I saw was Gaborik run into Marty, did any of you see how he got there?" One of them might have said, here's what happened. "Gaborik was driving to the net, Volchenkov started hooking him about 15 feet out, Gaborik started to snow plow to slow down and Volchenkov leaned on him and forced him into the goalie leaving him with no opportunity to stop. Should be a good goal."

But that didn't happen and once again the refs in this league put on display that they suck!

Now as for Dave Maloney, he should be ashamed of himself. To claim that the refs have been calling this all year is complete and utter nonsenses. Yes, the refs have been calling alot of goalie interference in cases where they may not have before like in cases where contact is incidental or the goalie appears to initiate contact. However, I watch hockey every night (even if the Rangers aren't playing) and to claim that the refs are calling the penalty on the attacking forward when he is clearly pushed into the goalie is complete crap. Hey Dave, if you are tired of being an advocate for the Rangers and have your eyes on a national gig or a gig with Hockey Night in Canada and now need to show that you as a former Ranger Captain are not a homer and are unbiased and if you're asking me if you should take that ***** and go back to Canada? I say "very much so"!

This makes no sense. If they were calling it that way then all a d-man has to do is give up inside position to the forward and as the puck is heading towards the net is push the forward into the goalie and the goal will be disallowed. That is such crap that I cannot even believe that a guy with his experience would suggest that this is how it is being called. This was a horrendous call and should have at least necessitated a meeting between the officials before the final call was made. A travesty!

Bardof425* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 09:40 AM
Bardof425*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Wolf View Post
Exactly...ref's gotta make that call in real time while watching the puck as well. With the league looking to protect netminders...I can see why the ref made the call he did. Lord knows we've had some go our way this season as well.
He could have consulted with the other officials. It's not reviewable, so they could have conferred and made a call.

Old
02-08-2012, 09:49 AM
Bardof425*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
No. By rule if they decided that Volchenkov pushed Gaborik sufficiently to have unavoidable contact with the keeper it would 100% be a good goal.

What happened was there was very slight contact, and Gaborik (incredibly smartly) used that as an excuse to pull a Lawrence Taylor on Brodeur. If MG doesnt bulldoze Marty over, it's a very simple save and the game's over. Basically a really smart play on Gaborik part, because it at least gives you a chance to score, and then it's just up to the refs (who didnt bite on it). But the alternative is you lose, so why not knock over the keeper in that situation?
Stop!! Gaborik tried to stop and Volchenkov kept pushing. Not to mention the stick in his ribs. Actually if Gabby ran him on purpose it's a dumb play because the rebound that Anisimov received three feet in front of the net is anything but a simple save even if Marty is standing up. So, take your theory back to Newark and dump it in the swamp. And of course Fatso flopped like he was hit by a car when he was hit by a forward trying to stop who was shoved into him. Go away troll.

Old
02-08-2012, 09:55 AM
Bardof425*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
Replay disagrees with you.

http://www.youtube.com/v/E_kP9X4j8js&hl

But to the people who say, "Marty flopped" I'm sorry, but that argument is ridiculous, because Brodeur MADE the save, and the only reason the puck ends up in the net is because Gaborik took Brodeur into the net (with the puck).

So why the hell would Marty flop INTO the net after he's already made the final save of the game and HAS the puck on him? He loses the puck after the contact.
This is the funniest thing you've said. You have to have the puck to lose the puck. A shot is taken, it hits his pads, there's a rebound. Gabby getting pushed into him has NOTHING to do with the fact that there was a rebound. Seriously, you're are embarrassing yourself.

Old
02-08-2012, 09:56 AM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

I've seen the replay a mission times.

It was a marginal call, kinda.

Only reason why is because Marty was way deep in the crease. The crease is the no-fly zone. Sure Gaborik made a decent attempt to stop. He was sideways, digging in his blades and using his stick on the ice as a tripod.

But even if Volchenkov was never there, there's a good reason to believe Gaborik would have still been in the crease and hit Broduer anyway. Remember, you dont have to knock a goalie down to get an interference call. If Gabby touches Brodeur's skatelaces and Marty is 100% in the crease, the refs will waive it off.

Still, Volchenkov was 100 pct the reason why Marty fell down. And I dont think Marty flopped.

Rangers havent gotten many breaks from the referees this season.

The NHL needs to make this a reviewable play. Replay shows Gabs digging in his blades with his stick on the ground a good 6 feet from Brodeur. Anybody who's played hockey or ice skated knows that there's no was you can travel 8 feet and knock somebody down with your blade dug in.

Whatever. Devils got the bounces the last two games. They're hot right now. But look at Ottawa. That can change quick.

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 09:57 AM
Bardof425*

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw2004 View Post
Wow... I just got back from the game. Rangers played like crap for the the first two periods and came out hard in the third. The PP is the main reason they lost today. Richards was invisible for the main part of the game. He had couple of good chances including the great pass to Dubinsky who failed to capitalize on it. Goal scoring slump should be classified as concern. The call at the end was dead right.
You could tell from your seats while the rest of us saw it on TV with many replays?? Devil fan??

Old
02-08-2012, 10:18 AM
cj225
Work in Progress...

Send a message via AIM to cj225
If Gaborik was pushed in, why are Volchenkov's hands below him?

Either way, at the end of the game, the ref had his hand up before Anisimov touched the puck to call the penalty.

And just an FYI, I'm not trying to start anything. I'm married to a Rangers fan (one who posts on here), I'm just asking a question and posting a picture.

cj225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 10:21 AM
GM17*
ALL HAIL LORD FISH

McDonaoghugh was huge that game. Did a great job of calming Kovalchuk down.

GM17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 10:23 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by RANDOMH3RO View Post
I hope we get to see you guys in the playoffs. I don't feel confident about the chances of the devils, but I just love watching them play the rangers. It always means so much more against the rangers than any other team.
The 2012 Rangers will D E S T R O Y the Devils in a playoff series.

02-08-2012, 10:27 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by manisback121 View Post
You guys needed and got someone to hold Sather down to not making knee jerk moves to put butts in the seats.

You guys also needed someone to put disciplined play on the ice, however you also need an assistant that tortorella trusts in opinion and willing to execute plans if line match ups are an issue.
Tortarella does just fine. It was a 1-0 game, with the only goal on a PP. Not sure that any line was outmatched.

Old
02-08-2012, 10:27 AM
bbrian07

clearly, the refs a devils fan

clearly, the refs a devils fan

Last edited by bbrian07: 02-08-2012 at 11:07 AM.
bbrian07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 10:29 AM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj225 View Post
Because that picture comes after the contact was made and the arm was up? Volchenkov is off balance there too.

Really, it was a terrible call, but it doesn't matter.

If you're going to wait until the 3rd period to put on the offense and you're going to wait until the last 3 seconds of the 3rd period to actually score, you don't deserve to win the game.

These things happen. I'm way more upset at the way we skated in the first two periods of the game.

Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 10:30 AM
truebluegoalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj225 View Post

Either way, at the end of the game, the ref had his hand up before Anisimov touched the puck to call the penalty.

And just an FYI, I'm not trying to start anything. I'm married to a Rangers fan (one who posts on here), I'm just asking a question and posting a picture.
terrible picture that shows nothing really. in fact if anything it shows the follow through after he pushed him.

Last edited by truebluegoalie: 02-08-2012 at 10:37 AM.
truebluegoalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 10:36 AM
truebluegoalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bardof425 View Post
Let's start with the good.

Now as for Dave Maloney, he should be ashamed of himself. To claim that the refs have been calling this all year is complete and utter nonsenses. Yes, the refs have been calling alot of goalie interference in cases where they may not have before like in cases where contact is incidental or the goalie appears to initiate contact. However, I watch hockey every night (even if the Rangers aren't playing) and to claim that the refs are calling the penalty on the attacking forward when he is clearly pushed into the goalie is complete crap. Hey Dave, if you are tired of being an advocate for the Rangers and have your eyes on a national gig or a gig with Hockey Night in Canada and now need to show that you as a former Ranger Captain are not a homer and are unbiased and if you're asking me if you should take that ***** and go back to Canada? I say "very much so"!
i didnt hear what he said, but i like him because he usually calls out the ref, but he makes a good point. remember the winter classic? remember hagelin against dallas? it does seem like rangers have gotten shafted on that call this year, the worst one coming tonight.

also i think the officiating was awful all night long. feds high stick missed, clarkson with a cheapshot on staal, rupp tripping clarkson, thought the devils had aat least two too many men missed and most of the penalties they did call were marginal.

truebluegoalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 10:37 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Anyone who has ever played hockey knows that from where Gaborik started to stop he would have been completely stopped by the time he got to fatty. He was definitely pushed.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 10:40 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Seems to me the Rangers are simply not getting up for this rivalry anymore. The Vets were sleepwalking through most of last nights game.

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 10:43 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numinous View Post
Seems to me the Rangers are simply not getting up for this rivalry anymore. The Vets were sleepwalking through most of last nights game.
Because Flyers > Devils

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 10:46 AM
Tundra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numinous View Post
The 2012 Rangers will D E S T R O Y the Devils in a playoff series.
Are you nuts? Besides Lundqvist, who has stoned us for years, the devils match up well with this year's edition of the rangers. The devs have trouble with teams who boast deep forward lines, that can grind them down via attrition, ala Boston and Philly. The rangers don't boast anywhere near the scoring depth of either one of those teams. Any likely series would be a dogfight that would extend to 6/7 games easily.

Tundra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 10:50 AM
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundra View Post
Are you nuts? Besides Lundqvist, who has stoned us for years, the devils match up well with this year's edition of the rangers. The devs have trouble with teams who boast deep forward lines, that can grind them down via attrition, ala Boston and Philly. The rangers don't boast anywhere near the scoring depth of either one of those teams. Any likely series would be a dogfight that would extend to 6/7 games easily.
Rangers in 5.

Rangers Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 10:52 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikC View Post
you can't deny that the team took a step forward overall this year.
despite Richards apparent struggles, he has had a positive impact.
I agree. He's definitely brought the kind of "intangibles" you always expected from Drury and never got. The roster is essentially the same as last year except for swapping Drury for Richards, yet the on-ice performance considerably better.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 10:56 AM
WeWillWinTonight

Not to bring up the play at end of game again but picture this scenario:

1-0 rangers seconds left in winter classic Hartnell to net Giroux scores on hank. Same play different faces and setting. Does the game go to OT?

WeWillWinTonight is offline   Reply With Quote