HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Do yo still believe Brayden Schenn can be a top line center?

Old
02-08-2012, 09:26 AM
prob22

vCash: 500
Do yo still believe Brayden Schenn can be a top line center?

Im glad to see that this kid has really started to pick up his play after his first few inury riddled months. Unfortunatley it still seems like a lot of people believe Schenns potential ceiling is a lot lower then originally believed. Can Schenn still live up to the crazy hype he had coming into this year?

Last edited by Hollywood Couturier: 02-08-2012 at 12:32 PM. Reason: Title Edit.
prob22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 09:33 AM
DLJB

as long as G is here, Schenn will not be a top line center because he will not have top line center minutes. Once Briere's contract is up, he will be fighting with Couts for the #2 job. Honestly I would rather trade Schenn for an up and coming top pairing Dman instead of seing him being wasted on our third/fourth line. Just my two cents...

DLJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 09:35 AM
Roo Mad Bro
U havin a giggle m8?

He's not going to be a 100 pt superstar, but I fully believe he will become a 70 pt two way C.

Whether that's on the Flyers or some other team I don't know...

Really enamored by the thought of Giroux/Schenn/Couturier down the middle though.

Roo Mad Bro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 09:37 AM
hckyplayer8
He's Gone!

Its a different topic, but I would think long an hard before basically stating "Trade Schenn. Keep Cooter."

Like them both, but so far Schenn has shown to be a more complete hockey player than Cooter has.

hckyplayer8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 09:38 AM
mirimon

Schenn will be fine. He's holding on to the puck a bit too long right now, but that's not alarming, most rookies do that. He had an absolute beauty of a pass last night, but both Simmonds and Bourdon(?) flubbed on it.

If he will center our top line in the future? Maybe not, but I don't really care. Giroux, Couturier and Schenn will hopefully be good enough for us to not have a distinct first line.

mirimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 09:39 AM
Larry44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richards18 View Post
He's not going to be a 100 pt superstar, but I fully believe he will become a 70 pt two way C.

Really enamored by the thought of Giroux/Schenn/Couturier down the middle though.
It would be really stupid to trade Schenn for a Dman. The kid is a stud, and it's showing more and more. So is Couturier.

That threesome will be dominant force down the middle for years. Sometime soon we need to move Briere back to the wing where he belongs. His inability to check anyone is painful to watch.

Schenn is responsible on D and has vision and creativity on O. It will be nice to have the 1G, 1B, 1C problem at Centre again....

Larry44 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 09:44 AM
Prongo
Beer

NHL teams build their teams from defense and down the middle. The Flyers management has to like the idea of Giroux, Couts, Schenn down the middle for years to come. One is becoming a superstar, the other has the raw potential to become a star in the league and the other is a rookie competing at an extraordinary level and has potential to be an star in the league as well. I actually don't think they will let any go and I fully expect all three to be 5 million or more center men in this league once they hit UFA days. Hopefully all will be with the Flyers.

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 09:47 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
No. If he is not an top line all star hall of famer by now he will likely be waived or tarred and feathered.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 09:58 AM
Amateur Hour

I like what I see from Schenn, kid has a bright future. Giroux/Schenn/Couturier down the middle for the foreseeable future is quite a sexy proposition. The Carter and Richards trades have set this team up for the next decade. Now, if only the Flyers could solve that pesky goalie/defense problem.

Amateur Hour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 10:35 AM
Broad Street Elite

Those offering Schenn and JVR up in almost any offer aren't think with their brains, they're thinking with some perverse need to win this year at the cost of longterm viability. If there was a single trade that guaranteed us a trip to the Finals right now, of course I make it. Newsflash: There isn't a trade out there that does that.

In Couturier, Schenn, Simmonds, Voracek, JVR, Giroux, Read we have a young core that will only get better over the next 2-4 years. No reason to break that up for an upgrade that doesn't make us that much more dangerous this season. If we were talking Weber, Suter, Chara, etc, that's one thing, but I'm not breaking up that forward core for Jack Johnson, Luke Schenn, etc and I'm definitely not going to sell low on Schenn and JVR to do it (which is exactly what we'd be doing). Couturier is untouchable, but JVR and Schenn are added to almost every trade based solely on a 50 game span to start this season. Insane.

Broad Street Elite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 10:41 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5888
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLJB View Post
as long as G is here, Schenn will not be a top line center because he will not have top line center minutes. Once Briere's contract is up, he will be fighting with Couts for the #2 job. Honestly I would rather trade Schenn for an up and coming top pairing Dman instead of seing him being wasted on our third/fourth line. Just my two cents...
Did the Penguins "waste" Jordan Staal by putting him on a 3rd line because he was behind Crosby and Malkin.

There's no such thing as 'wasting' a player on the 3rd line.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 10:51 AM
Mgkibbles

Quote:
Originally Posted by hckyplayer8 View Post
Its a different topic, but I would think long an hard before basically stating "Trade Schenn. Keep Cooter."

Like them both, so far Schenn has shown to be a more complete hockey player than Cooter has.
Um, what?

Mgkibbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 10:56 AM
Top Cheese Danish

He doesn't need to be the #1 center. Giroux/Schenn/Couts down the middle is the future of this team.

Top Cheese Danish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 11:27 AM
orange is better
than other colors...

Who cares about numbers? The kid has potential to be a great player, hands down. With giroux here, it's likely that neither or couturier or schenn become "top line center"s. but the 1-2-3 punch has the potential to be the best in the league in a few years time. An offensive dynamo, superstar talent, a big bodied shutdown center talent with offensive upside and a speedy, hard nosed 2-way center who throws his body around like a wrecking ball and has hands like butter might as well be the most lethal formula.

I'm excited to see all 3 of these players develop in front of us.

As for trading schenn, that would be a mistake, unless we're putting a package together for a legit, bonafide number 1 defenseman, like weber.

orange is better is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 11:34 AM
hckyplayer8
He's Gone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgkibbles View Post
Um, what?
He is definitely a much bigger physical presence than Cooter. That one is obvious.

Old
02-08-2012, 11:34 AM
Larry44

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
Did the Penguins "waste" Jordan Staal by putting him on a 3rd line because he was behind Crosby and Malkin.

There's no such thing as 'wasting' a player on the 3rd line.
Esp. when having a good 3rd line is what differentiates the great teams from the decent teams.

The biggest challenge is finding enough icetime for everyone, ES, PP and PK.

It should not be a concern. If you're worried about your ice time, skate harder when you're out there.

Larry44 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 12:26 PM
achdumeingute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
No. If he is not an top line all star hall of famer by now he will likely be waived or tarred and feathered.
This. What a failure. How can we work "bust" in to his name?

On a serious note...Schenn looks great.

achdumeingute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 12:32 PM
Mgkibbles

Quote:
He is definitely a much bigger physical presence than Cooter. That one is obvious.
So he's better because he hits more?

Mgkibbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 12:35 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLJB View Post
I disagree with the bolded. I think next season, as long as both players continue to progress, Briere goes the RW on the first line (assuming Jagr isn't back)

sobrien is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 12:42 PM
hckyplayer8
He's Gone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgkibbles View Post
So he's better because he hits more?
I didn't say that. I implied Schenn has shown (in the limited time we have seen both players) to be more complete.

Complete hockey players can lay the body when they need to.

Basically its too early to be having this conversation. We have seen so little of either player that it is way too early to deal them away.

Old
02-08-2012, 12:56 PM
achdumeingute

Quote:
I didn't say that. I implied Schenn has shown (in the limited time we have seen both players) to be more complete.

Complete hockey players can lay the body when they need to.

Basically its too early to be having this conversation. We have seen so little of either player that it is way too early to deal them away.
Both players have shown alot of promise.

It's times like this that I wish we hadn't traded brindamour and made him a cornerstone of our franchise. A guy with his work ethic/skill mentoring these young guys...
Burns me still that he's with the Car franchise now.

achdumeingute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 01:07 PM
Esq.

I see Schenn being a Jordan Staal-level player, but with better playmaking and worse defense.

96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 02:44 PM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roo Mad Bro View Post

Yeah.

JXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 02:50 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

The kid will become the perfect number two center in the NHL. He can do it all. Check,fight score,PK,PP just give him time. He is only 20.

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 03:19 PM
phillyflyerfan1992
@ahthorne

Schenn will pretty much be Mike Richards 2.0.

60 point (with PPG ceiling) two-way center who can play powerplay, kill penalties and hit, fight and score.

Kid's beast. I'd say Sean Couturier is pretty much Jordan Staal 2.0. Frankly, I wouldn't trade either. This team has 3 untouchables - Giroux, Schenn, Couturier.

phillyflyerfan1992 is offline   Reply With Quote