HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

3 Stars and GBR: #51 @ Devils

View Poll Results: POTG
Artem Anisimov 1 1.85%
Derek Stepan 0 0%
Marian Gaborik 5 9.26%
Brandon Dubinsky 0 0%
Brandon Prust 3 5.56%
Brian Boyle 0 0%
Ryan Callahan 0 0%
Mike Rupp 1 1.85%
John Mitchell 0 0%
Carl Hagelin 8 14.81%
Henrik Lunqvist 25 46.30%
Ryan McDonagh 6 11.11%
Dan Girardi 1 1.85%
Michael Del Zotto 3 5.56%
Stu Bickel 1 1.85%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Old
02-08-2012, 11:00 AM
MSG the place to be*

vCash: 500
Havent read any reaction in these threads yet but I plan to later.

My two cents - Nobody really knows how much force Volchenkov was applying to Gaborik. But one thing you have to factor in is that this wasn't just any hockey player. This was Marian Gaborik. The least physically equipped player to handle contact that has ever come through the league. A guy who would rather make wide looping turns than come to a sudden halt (QUEUE TORTS: ARE YOU GONNA STOP ON ONE TONIGHT?!?!).

I just can't understand how fans can't pick up on the style and finer points of his game which really are blatantly obvious. I get frustrated with Gabby. Who doesn't realize that by now? But the more frustrating thing is that the fans talk about him like hes built the same way other players are built. In reality his kinetic makeup is not akin to any player that has ever donned an NHL uniform and it greatly hinders what he is able to do on a shift to shift basis.

Making a mountain out of a molehill you say? Well, this mountain isn't based on one molehill with a couple seconds left against the Devils. This mountain is an accumulation of molehills that are evident every shift.

MSG the place to be* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 11:11 AM
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeWillWinTonight View Post
Not to bring up the play at end of game again but picture this scenario:

1-0 rangers seconds left in winter classic Hartnell to net Giroux scores on hank. Same play different faces and setting. Does the game go to OT?
Yes. They were pushing for OT in the WC

Rangers Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 11:14 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundra View Post
Are you nuts? Besides Lundqvist, who has stoned us for years, the devils match up well with this year's edition of the rangers. The devs have trouble with teams who boast deep forward lines, that can grind them down via attrition, ala Boston and Philly. The rangers don't boast anywhere near the scoring depth of either one of those teams. Any likely series would be a dogfight that would extend to 6/7 games easily.
You can't judge by these games. No idea what the reason is but the Rangers are not getting up for these games. Rivalry has become boring... sad but true.

Maybe a playoff series is just what they need. Regardless Rangers sweep the Devils.

ALL HOME GAMES

02-08-2012, 11:31 AM
Tundra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numinous View Post
You can't judge by these games. No idea what the reason is but the Rangers are not getting up for these games. Rivalry has become boring... sad but true.

Maybe a playoff series is just what they need. Regardless Rangers sweep the Devils.

ALL HOME GAMES
It's not even that. It's all about matchups. There is a reason why the devils outplayed the rangers in both the first matchup and then last night (especially in the first two periods of each which Lundy stole).

Look at Philly's (especially with Van Riems and Briere healthy) and Boston's forward lines (they're legitimately 4 lines deep) and compare them to the NYR. As a devil fan with questionable defensive depth after the 2nd pairing, I want no part of either team. The rangers on the other hand, don't exactly scare anyone with their scoring prowess. Don't get me wrong. The Rangers' blue line is probably the best in division, but that wouldn't expose the devils' achilles heel which is sustained pressure against their d corps.

Tundra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 11:53 AM
MartyOwns
NYRB!!!2013********33333

hi guys…devils fan coming in peace. just wanted to say what a fantastic game last night’s was. whoo-doggy that was a dilly of a pickle. I would agree that the devils only won 2 straight against the rangers because of lucky bounces and bad officiating, but we’re just happy to have the points. if it wasn’t for fluky bounces, we probably wouldn’t have beaten philly and the pens either. oh well, such is life. good luck the rest of the way!

MartyOwns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 12:05 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:
It's not even that. It's all about matchups. There is a reason why the devils outplayed the rangers in both the first matchup and then last night (especially in the first two periods of each which Lundy stole).

Look at Philly's (especially with Van Riems and Briere healthy) and Boston's forward lines (they're legitimately 4 lines deep) and compare them to the NYR. As a devil fan with questionable defensive depth after the 2nd pairing, I want no part of either team. The rangers on the other hand, don't exactly scare anyone with their scoring prowess. Don't get me wrong. The Rangers' blue line is probably the best in division, but that wouldn't expose the devils' achilles heel which is sustained pressure against their d corps.
If you played the Rangers when Brad Richards wasn't playing like doodoo you wouldn't say that you're not scared of us...

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 12:20 PM
Blueshirt Special
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Are you nuts? Besides Lundqvist, who has stoned us for years, the devils match up well with this year's edition of the rangers. The devs have trouble with teams who boast deep forward lines, that can grind them down via attrition, ala Boston and Philly. The rangers don't boast anywhere near the scoring depth of either one of those teams. Any likely series would be a dogfight that would extend to 6/7 games easily.
I agree with this. Playoffs with the Devils are going to be tough. 7 games would not surprise me at all. Don't kid yourself.

I think we win the series because of Hank, but it's tough matchup.

02-08-2012, 12:20 PM
SMantzas
Church of Corsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiSnacks17 View Post
If you played the Rangers when Brad Richards wasn't playing like doodoo you wouldn't say that you're not scared of us...
And if you played a healthy devils team, you'd be singing a different tune (am I doing this right?)

SMantzas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 12:24 PM
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMantzas View Post
And if you played a healthy devils team, you'd be singing a different tune (am I doing this right?)
We've outscored you guys 6-4, SO excluded.

Old
02-08-2012, 12:26 PM
OOOOIIIO
Binary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henriks Broadway Hat View Post
And we have taken 2 out of 3... your point?

OOOOIIIO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 12:28 PM
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Parisalchuk View Post
And we have taken 2 out of 3... your point?
One in a skills competition, one where it would be in OT if the ref had a pair of eyes. No Shootout in the playoffs.

Old
02-08-2012, 12:30 PM
SMantzas
Church of Corsi

Quote:
Way to count EN too. Just admit these teams are pretty damn even

SMantzas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 12:38 PM
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMantzas View Post
Way to count EN too. Just admit these teams are pretty damn even
Forgot to mention:
You won't be seeing our backup starting games in the playoffs either.

Old
02-08-2012, 12:45 PM
cj225
Work in Progress...

Send a message via AIM to cj225
Quote:
One in a skills competition, one where it would be in OT if the ref had a pair of eyes. No Shootout in the playoffs.
I'm pretty sure everyone has a pair of eyes.

cj225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 12:48 PM
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj225 View Post
I'm pretty sure everyone has a pair of eyes.
Don't even get me started on that BS call. It was a good goal. Gaborik was pushed into Marty by Volchenkov. It's not goalie interference.

Old
02-08-2012, 12:50 PM
cj225
Work in Progress...

Send a message via AIM to cj225
Quote:
Don't even get me started on that BS call. It was a good goal. Gaborik was pushed into Marty by Volchenkov. It's not goalie interference.
I'm not even talking about. I just said everyone has eyes.

Watch it again, when you've calmed down and the TV is on mute in real time.

It's going to get called every time. Here's a play where it happened in favor of you guys:

cj225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 12:54 PM
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

Quote:
I'm not even talking about. I just said everyone has eyes.

Watch it again, when you've calmed down and the TV is on mute in real time.

It's going to get called every time. Here's a play where it happened in favor of you guys:

Can't watch right now. Will edit later.

Old
02-08-2012, 12:57 PM
Shadowtron

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikC View Post
you can't deny that the team took a step forward overall this year.
despite Richards apparent struggles, he has had a positive impact.

i can't accept how bad this powerplay is. I don't believe it's soley the personel. there is no system. Torts approaches it, instinctual and it shows by how all over the place it is.

This team needs another scoring threat. a top 3 scorer. i wouldn't waste time on anything less. If you have to wait until offseason to bring him in then so be it. If one is availble at trade deadline, i would hope they do it.

I want either Ryan or Carter.
That's basically what I'm getting at. I get this feeling that we've taken this roster as far as it's going to go. Which isn't bad, hehe, don't get me wrong. And we still have a lot of hockey left. But don't we always seem to be circling these same issues? It has me wondering if maybe it's time to break things up a little bit and make a few tough decisions at the deadline (or offseason).

Shadowtron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 01:19 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowtron View Post
I get this feeling that we've taken this roster as far as it's going to go.
Isn't that what we said last year? And then brought in a legit top line center in Richards? The problem is that both Dubinsky and Anisimov, who were penciled in as 2/3rds of our second line have both underperformed. The cap is going to restrict another top line player from the outside. Not sure how that player can be afforded. Not if you want to keep the core of the defense together for the next 5 years. And even without that, there is how much $$$ tied into Henke, Gabby & Richards? How can another $6-7m be afforded?

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 01:36 PM
Callagraves
Block shots

Quote:
The fact that you don't attribute this style of play to NYR almost proves that you've watched no more than three (3) Rangers games this year.

It's hilarious what a shootout win and a blown call does for a fanbases confidence.

Callagraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 01:37 PM
BenedictGomez
#FireDeboer

Quote:

If it's a "push", it's about the lightest interpretation we can have of a "push".

As numerous people have already stated here, the call could have gone either way.

And frankly, if THAT'S going to be the definition of "push" from here to eternity, I'd rather the goal stand because I dont want any further ************* of the sport that I love, because if that's a "push", then we may as well eliminate hockey contact altogether, because defensemen wont want to get within 8 feet of an opposing forward.

What Volchenkov SHOULD have done in that situation with < 5 seconds left on the clock is what Scott Stevens used to do in those situations with < 5 seconds left on the clock, which is to put a WWF move on Gaborik and take a ridiculously blatant penalty by hauling the opposing forward down with a bear tackle.

Because who cares if you're shorthanded with 2.8 seconds left in the game? It's better than giving up a scoring glance.

BenedictGomez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 01:43 PM
Callagraves
Block shots

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
If it's a "push", it's about the lightest interpretation we can have of a "push".

As numerous people have already stated here, the call could have gone either way.

And frankly, if THAT'S going to be the definition of "push" from here to eternity, I'd rather the goal stand because I dont want any further ************* of the sport that I love, because if that's a "push", then we may as well eliminate hockey contact altogether, because defensemen wont want to get within 8 feet of an opposing forward.

What Volchenkov SHOULD have done in that situation with < 5 seconds left on the clock is what Scott Stevens used to do in those situations with < 5 seconds left on the clock, which is to put a WWF move on Gaborik and take a ridiculously blatant penalty by hauling the opposing forward down with a bear tackle.

Because who cares if you're shorthanded with 2.8 seconds left in the game? It's better than giving up a scoring glance.
C'mon now, that type of dirty **** is for Philly.

Callagraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 01:49 PM
BenedictGomez
#FireDeboer

Quote:
Here's a play where it happened in favor of you guys:

Now THAT'S a push. Two handed, full extension (1:19), reminds me of Apollo Ohno on a handoff in a long-track speed skating relay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callagraves View Post
C'mon now, that type of dirty **** is for Philly.
No. I'm not talking about hurting a guy, I'm talking about grabbing him with two hands (bear hug) and if necessary harmlessly falling to the ice with him. It's a loophole. There's no 46 yard pass interference call or "gimme" soccer penalty shot in hockey. Intentionally taking a penalty is SMART, and over the years I've seen intelligent Dmen do this.

BenedictGomez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 01:53 PM
Tundra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callagraves View Post
The fact that you don't attribute this style of play to NYR almost proves that you've watched no more than three (3) Rangers games this year.

It's hilarious what a shootout win and a blown call does for a fanbases confidence.

Boston has scored nearly 40 more goals than the rangers. Philly 30 more. The Rangers aren't nearly in their class in terms of manufacturing offense consistently from 3 lines.

And for the record, I've watched about 10 ranger games. On paper, the rangers have a better team. Lundqvist is Brodeur's superior. The Rangers defense is top notch. But the devils forwards are definitely superior in terms of star power and versatility. The devils boast 5 players up front with 15 goals or more.

Tundra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 01:58 PM
OOOOIIIO
Binary

Quote:
Im sorry, I didnt see in the rules where if a game goes into OT that the Rangers get the automatic win. EVEN if yesterday went to overtime whos to say the Rangers get the win, and if there was continuous OT whose to say the Rangers would win in that situation?

No worries though, Devils still are 2-1 against the Rangers and thats all that matters, dirty wins are still wins.

OOOOIIIO is offline   Reply With Quote