HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Richer and Others Discuss Battle With Depression

Old
02-08-2012, 12:39 PM
Lafleurs Guy

vCash: 500
Richer and Others Discuss Battle With Depression

http://www.thestar.com/sports/articl...-struggle?bn=1

I've known about this for a while but Richer talks very candidly about his struggles. I clearly remember him being criticized for pouting on the bench and his inconsistancies... I guess what they really needed for him was a councillor. Too bad this went undiagnosed for so long.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 12:46 PM
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred

Pretty crazy, Landsberg had a thing about it on TSN also.

http://tsn.ca/story/?id=387217

I remember watching OTR with Landsberg and Richer when they talked about depression, and while I really didn't care much about it, or understood it, I'm glady to helped others.

Must read, really puts this into perspective, specially the story of the of how basically that episode saved a man's life and possible many more.

habs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 03:33 PM
Et le But

As someone who suffers from mild to moderate depression it's always nice to hear athletes open up like this. There's still a stigma against athletes discussing these things because it makes them look "soft" or whatever. But it's important both for guys like Richer and others who deal with mental illnesses to see someone like that open up.

For me it's never been to the point where I've tried to kill myself but I've had moments when even basic things become difficult and it's definitely hurt my performance at school/work and impacted my social life.

Hearing Richer talk about it certainly makes me more willing to open up, I mean hell, I'm telling it to strangers on an internet forum. Watching clips of this documentary is something I can relate to.

Last edited by Et le But: 02-08-2012 at 03:38 PM.
Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 03:41 PM
TheGoalJudge

It’s clear, though, he yearns to get back in the game as an assistant coach, someone who could work with and counsel young players.

“I would do it for free if I had to, but I guess Montreal doesn’t feel they need some older guy to be around,” he said. “That would be the best job for me.”

dayyummm

TheGoalJudge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 04:19 PM
Paddyjack

Quote:
The media and the people in Montreal, they really hurt me, he told Landsberg. I came to Montreal, I was 19, I was a kid. To be criticized, to be judged, to have so many stories around me I was gay, on drugs, party all the time. . . . Im a pretty shy guy, Im pretty quiet, I just want to be home. I was dying inside.
I remember this very well, some medias were whispering he was with Roch Voisine. I think for me that was the first time I realized the medias in Montreal were a bunch of fools, who thought they were the kings of the city. We never say it enough, we do not denounce them enough. That recent thing with the bilingual issue was another example of this.

My best wishes to Richer in this.

Paddyjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 04:22 PM
habscup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
As someone who suffers from mild to moderate depression it's always nice to hear athletes open up like this. There's still a stigma against athletes discussing these things because it makes them look "soft" or whatever. But it's important both for guys like Richer and others who deal with mental illnesses to see someone like that open up.

For me it's never been to the point where I've tried to kill myself but I've had moments when even basic things become difficult and it's definitely hurt my performance at school/work and impacted my social life.

Hearing Richer talk about it certainly makes me more willing to open up, I mean hell, I'm telling it to strangers on an internet forum. Watching clips of this documentary is something I can relate to.
Stay strong

habscup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 04:57 PM
Andy

From reading this board I was under the impression that rich people with money don't suffer from despression.

Andy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 05:05 PM
MXD

I suffered a severe depression last year, and seriously, if I ever meet Clara Hugues, I'd probably thank her for 2 hours, just because I saw here tell her story with a smile (last year).

MXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 05:35 PM
Habs

Richer was gay?

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 05:51 PM
MXD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
Richer was gay?
Those were the stories.
Syntax not that obvious.

MXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 06:37 PM
SouthernHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post

Times are changing and the sooner that depression as a stigma is gone, the better for all in society.

Good luck to you.

SouthernHab is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 07:04 PM
BLONG7

Mental Illness is serious stuff, and now people are dealing with it much better because of athletes like Richer, and Hughes who are speaking out...props to Landsberg also!

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 07:28 PM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

vCash: 1707
but i thought montreal had the bestest fans?

MasterDecoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 08:04 PM
Habs13

but... but, fighting causes despression and... and, ummm.... errr... fighting is... argh... hmm.

Habs13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 08:21 PM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
From reading this board I was under the impression that rich people with money don't suffer from despression.
Yea. It's sad how little people understand depression. Pisses me off when I hear the "He's rich, he can take it"....

Anwyays, as a kid I absolutely loved Richer and I do remember how tough the Montreal media was on him. There's a reason why I'm so hard on the media here. I hate them for the most part.

hockeyfan2k11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 08:37 PM
felixd

Great article. I'm borderline bipolar and have struggled through some tough periods and hearing extremely succesful people talk about their conditions is an inspiration. It's humanizing and makes you feel normal rather than stigmatized as it currently is in society right now. Wish I could watch the entire show but I don't live in Canada.

felixd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 08:41 PM
Lars Mon Amour
Mon beau Lars

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoalJudge View Post
Its clear, though, he yearns to get back in the game as an assistant coach, someone who could work with and counsel young players.

I would do it for free if I had to, but I guess Montreal doesnt feel they need some older guy to be around, he said. That would be the best job for me.

dayyummm
I would do it for free too.

Lars Mon Amour is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 09:37 PM
deandebean

Richer was never gay. He loved women, and women loved him. He comes from my neck of the woods. Never understood those rumours. I had dinner with the guy once or twice. NICE fella.

I didn't know about his depression bouts. He's married now. Hope he's happy. He's going to manage his golf course on a day-to-day basis next season. His right hand man has left the organisation. It will be fun to see him again regularly.

deandebean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 10:20 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
Times are changing and the sooner that depression as a stigma is gone, the better for all in society.

Good luck to you.
Cheers, it definitely seems like the stigma is finally going away on mental illness and that's great news.

If anything I'm one of the lucky ones. I've always been able to talk my way through hard times, it's taken its toll but I've never needed drugs or serious therapy. I know people with serious clinical depression or bipolar disorder who've been hospitalized for it, I can relate to the symptoms but not losing control to that level. The mind is a funny thing.

Old
02-08-2012, 10:59 PM
SAKS AVENUE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
Richer was gay?
Are there any gay players?
I don't think anyone is out of the closet in the NHL, hard to believe actually, I wonder who will be the first.

Tyler Seguin looks to be a little fluffy if anyone does.

SAKS AVENUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 12:52 AM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAKS AVENUE View Post
Are there any gay players?
I don't think anyone is out of the closet in the NHL, hard to believe actually, I wonder who will be the first.

Tyler Seguin looks to be a little fluffy if anyone does.
I would imagine there's at least one player in the closet, probably more than one. It's that case with all sports but it's not really something a player wants to pioneer because they are bound to get harassed. If anything it wouldn't surprise me if an active NHLer comes out within the next decade though, and if anything it will be a hockey player before another sport.

Old
02-09-2012, 12:58 AM
lou4gehrig

Richer was our last 50 goal scorer right?

lou4gehrig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 03:09 AM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

vCash: 1707
Quote:
Originally Posted by lou4gehrig View Post
Richer was our last 50 goal scorer right?
yup.

and even that guy got flak...

MasterDecoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 03:19 AM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterDecoy View Post
yup.

and even that guy got flak...
and he was french too. It boggles the mind.

Fish on The Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 05:09 AM
Mr. Hab

I really really respect Landsberg, Richer and many others for coming out like this...this can only help many out there with depression.

Would love to know more about solutions though.

I think everyone has something...it could be issues with anger (needing anger management, meditation), bipolar, depression, severe depression, o.c.d, a.d.d., and many more... No one is perfect (no one!) but it would be great if EVERYONE could somehow get help when needed. Would be a better world. So many people in the world (high population!) yet many who feel alone with their problems. It is sad. Suicide should never ever happen. Everyone should receive the help/care/loving they need. Everyone.

It's great (more than great!) to hear/read people have received help or have found solutions to depression or any other mental illness/sickness. But, I would love to hear/read more about SOLUTIONS and how/where? (for everyone out there).

Solutions: for some it's medication, counseling, group meetings, talking about it more often, sharing...talking about it with the right people (of course!),etc...

Solutions? (in Montreal for example)...are there any websites for people who suffer from depression (way of getting help, group meetings,etc...).

Thanks

Last edited by Mr. Hab: 02-09-2012 at 05:35 AM.
Mr. Hab is offline   Reply With Quote