HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Torts please stop playing Brian Boyle late when losing

Old
02-08-2012, 01:00 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

vCash: 500
Torts please stop playing Brian Boyle late when losing

Torts please stop playing Brian Boyle with 2.5 minutes to go in the game when you're losing. I had flashbacks of Renney last night.

The guy has 4 goals all season, his ass should be glued to the bench for the last 10 minutes if the Rangers are losing.

Last edited by WhipNash27: 02-08-2012 at 02:30 PM.
WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 01:29 PM
theFiGS42

I think Boyle should be playing 20minutes a game...in the ahl, guys useless and when we signed Rupp I was hoping that was the end of boyle

theFiGS42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 01:36 PM
McRanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiSnacks17 View Post
Brian Boyle with 2.5 minutes to go in the game when you're losing. I had flashbacks of Renney last night.

The guy has 4 goals all season, his ass should be glued to the bench for the last 10 minutes if the Rangers are losing.
Funny, I said the exact same thing last night. Some of his line combos are Renney-esque as well.

I generally have no issue with Torts but having Boyle and Prust on the ice right before they pull Lundqvist was a little nuts. No matter who is slumping.

McRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 01:50 PM
haveandare

I don't disagree. Boyle is a useful defensive forward but he shouldn't on the ice when they need a goal to tie.

On a semi unrelated note, these thread titles ending in ellipses drive me bonkers. Just say what the thread is about.

haveandare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 02:30 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by haveandare View Post
I don't disagree. Boyle is a useful defensive forward but he shouldn't on the ice when they need a goal to tie.

On a semi unrelated note, these thread titles ending in ellipses drive me bonkers. Just say what the thread is about.
happy?

Old
02-08-2012, 03:11 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by theFiGS42 View Post
I think Boyle should be playing 20minutes a game...in the ahl, guys useless and when we signed Rupp I was hoping that was the end of boyle
Coming off a 21 goal season, you were dying to dump Boyle?

02-08-2012, 03:14 PM
Brendan Shanahan
I suspend people

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Everyone knew it was a fluke.

Brendan Shanahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 03:16 PM
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Brolov View Post
Everyone knew it was a fluke.
Seriously. I went back to rewatch some of his goals from last season. LOTS of them were due to horrible goaltending. He got some insanely lucky bounces too.

Rangers Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 03:24 PM
theFiGS42

Quote:
The guy stepped it up last year no doubt about it but everyone raved about his skating and size and I saw no difference. It was all right spot right time, he's great on the pk but besides that what is he good for? He won't reach 20 goals again he's a 4th line center and nothing more than that, he doesn't earn more minutes. I'll take Rupp over Boyle any day of the week. He's what we EXPECT Boyle to be

theFiGS42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 03:27 PM
MSG the place to be*

Boyle is having a better, more impactful season this year than last year.

MSG the place to be* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 03:33 PM
Bardof425*

Quote:
I was and I posted it. You could see that it was a fluke never to be seen again. He is a borderline NHLer who is great in the room (so they say). He cannot be expected to do anything but PK (and he better start winning some d-zone draws or he won't be suited for this either) and 4th line duty (7 - 9 minutes a night and never when we are down in the third). Same for Prust who is a better penalty killer than Boyle, better forechecker than Boyle and much better fighter than Boyle. So, both should be on the 4th line and not playing with top 6 forwards or in the last 5 minutes when we are losing by a goal or two.

Bardof425* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 03:41 PM
eco's bones

The ****ing team is in first place and people are still *****ing about this player or that player.

So Boyle isn't scoring like he did last year and he's getting too many minutes. The team is in first place. He's good defensively, blocks shots, is a key penalty killer, and pretty good on face-offs.

Mitchell has been fine as well. Better than Avery? That's debatable--but either way there's not a night and day difference and the team is in first place.

And if only we gave Wolski and MZA a chance we'd score more goals. But we might not be in first place because Wolski floats and MZA is easily outmuscled and neither one of them are very good defensively.

Boyle is not that bad and he's committed to the team's work ethic of grinding, hitting, shot blocking and being responsible in his own end. Ditto for Mitchell. In other words they might not be as talented as some other guys not with the team but they fit into the concept of what the team is about. What Tort's likes to call 'identity'.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 03:45 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Boyle is a phenomenal 4th line center. dont confuse poor 3rd line play for poor 4th line play.

if he was our 4th line center, we'd be set for a good championship run.

right now he's our 3rd line center WAY more than our 4th...and that's our problem.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 03:53 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
I guess all those Boyle and Barbara Underhill appreciation threads were all a mirage.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 03:58 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
The ****ing team is in first place and people are still *****ing about this player or that player.

So Boyle isn't scoring like he did last year and he's getting too many minutes. The team is in first place. He's good defensively, blocks shots, is a key penalty killer, and pretty good on face-offs.

Mitchell has been fine as well. Better than Avery? That's debatable--but either way there's not a night and day difference and the team is in first place.

And if only we gave Wolski and MZA a chance we'd score more goals. But we might not be in first place because Wolski floats and MZA is easily outmuscled and neither one of them are very good defensively.

Boyle is not that bad and he's committed to the team's work ethic of grinding, hitting, shot blocking and being responsible in his own end. Ditto for Mitchell. In other words they might not be as talented as some other guys not with the team but they fit into the concept of what the team is about. What Tort's likes to call 'identity'.
Very well said, my friend

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 04:06 PM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

Quote:

And that is exactly why the OP, whom I agree 100% with, made this thread. Read the original post. Nobody is saying that Boyle doesn't fit the identity. Nobody is saying he isn't good at shot-blocking and penalty killing.

But he is a fourth liner. He is not a goal scorer, yet he is out there with a couple minutes to go and the team needing a goal.

As a fan of this team, I'm not going to sit back and pretend I agree with Torts decision to play Boyle and Prust in that situation. That is what this forum is for, to discuss these type of things.

Stugots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 04:30 PM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stugots View Post
And that is exactly why the OP, whom I agree 100% with, made this thread. Read the original post. Nobody is saying that Boyle doesn't fit the identity. Nobody is saying he isn't good at shot-blocking and penalty killing.

But he is a fourth liner. He is not a goal scorer, yet he is out there with a couple minutes to go and the team needing a goal.

As a fan of this team, I'm not going to sit back and pretend I agree with Torts decision to play Boyle and Prust in that situation. That is what this forum is for, to discuss these type of things.
FWIW Anisimov should have had the goal at the end and that game should have gone into overtime.

And on the other hand it's one game--one loss (to a very good team) and we can all armchair qb every time the game doesn't go our way. One thing I'd give credit to the Devils--they played very well but the Rangers were all over them in the third period last night and Prust who was on Boyle's line was one of our best players all night long--getting in hard on the forecheck and grinding.

Tortorella is the coach and when he's got his team at the top of the standings I'm at least willing to give him a lot of leeway in his decision making.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 04:41 PM
Calad
Section 422

Quote:

A big reason why I don't question Tort's personnel choices, as he knows wtf is going on. Not to mention, first place/best winning percentage/etc. Anyone here who acts like they are a better armchair Coach/GM than who is actually in charge is an easy block in my book.

Calad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 06:08 PM
haveandare

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiSnacks17 View Post
happy?

Very.

haveandare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 06:21 PM
outlaw52
"what i do"

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRanger View Post
Funny, I said the exact same thing last night. Some of his line combos are Renney-esque as well.

I generally have no issue with Torts but having Boyle and Prust on the ice right before they pull Lundqvist was a little nuts. No matter who is slumping.
were you watching the game last night? it was said during the broadcast at one point and i was saying it from early second period to the end.....prust was our best forward last night and nobody was even close end of story..

outlaw52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 06:47 PM
NYRSchrute217

Boyle should've been dealt in the offseason when his value was at an all time high. 18 goals in the first half of last year, 3 in the 2nd half and 4 goals this season. He's not a good player and any more than 10 minutes a night is too much for this guy.

NYRSchrute217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 06:52 PM
JoeRangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRSchrute217 View Post
Boyle should've been dealt in the offseason when his value was at an all time high. 18 goals in the first half of last year, 3 in the 2nd half and 4 goals this season. He's not a good player and any more than 10 minutes a night is too much for this guy.
Boyle isnt a problem on this team. Most people knew he wouldnt score 20+ again. He is fine for what he is a 4th liner and PK guy who can pop in 5-8 goals a season. I agree with the last part 10 min a night is all he should be getting

JoeRangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 06:54 PM
WeWillWinTonight

I think Mitchell was out there too, what's worse?

Don't get me wrong I like both of them but not that much.

WeWillWinTonight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 06:54 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Well the whole point is that in last night's game for example, he was on the ice with about 2 minute left. Why? If the Rangers were winning I could understand, but does Torts actually expect Boyle to score when a goal is desperately needed?

Old
02-08-2012, 06:59 PM
NYRSchrute217

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRangers View Post
Boyle isnt a problem on this team. Most people knew he wouldnt score 20+ again. He is fine for what he is a 4th liner and PK guy who can pop in 5-8 goals a season. I agree with the last part 10 min a night is all he should be getting
Boyle is a problem. He doesn't have much of a shot, he doesn't use his body, he doesn't score the garbage goals, he doesn't really get to the front of the net.

It's obvious he'll never reach 20 again but he's not supposed to. He should play like a big player though and actually use his size to his advantage. He's fine on the 4th line but the guy is extremely frustrating.

NYRSchrute217 is offline   Reply With Quote