HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospal Signs 1-Year Extension

Old
02-08-2012, 01:42 PM
CBJSprague24
"Scoreboard, son."

vCash: 500
Watch his reaction to the goal he batted into the net during practice (the clip is shown as he's answering the question about "Not having to move next year"). You'll see Hinote celebrate when it happens: http://video.bluejackets.nhl.com/vid...=701&id=155948

CBJSprague24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 01:49 PM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhebner View Post
I see Craig Patricks fingers all over this, in a good way.
Saw Patrick's name a couple times in this thread and it's an interesting idea for sure.

Old
02-08-2012, 02:01 PM
wahsnairb

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJSprague24 View Post
Watch his reaction to the goal he batted into the net during practice (the clip is shown as he's answering the question about "Not having to move next year"). You'll see Hinote celebrate when it happens: http://video.bluejackets.nhl.com/vid...=701&id=155948

awesome video, worth the watch.

wahsnairb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 02:02 PM
alphafox

In the video interview he talks about how the team is much better than their record and will be better next year, this seems to indicate that not much is being going to be done (Holy reading things into an interview Batman!),but it does bring up an interesting question. Where is the room for the forwards? Anybody else feel like this means that at least one of Vermett, Umby, or Brass is on their way out?

Our lines would be something like...(assuming we draft Yakupov and keep Nash/Carter)

Nash Brass XXXX
Yakupov Carter Prospal?
Umberger Johan XXXX?

That leaves two spots for Umby, Vermette, Letestu, Atkinson (assuming he continues to progress as he is now.)

alphafox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 02:12 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphafox View Post
In the video interview he talks about how the team is much better than their record
Holy understatement Batman. Having said that he better let JPM and Howson know the blueline blows. And not the one where I buy CBJ merchandise.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 02:25 PM
alphafox

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
Having said that he better let JPM and Howson know the blueline blows. And not the one where I buy CBJ merchandise.
lol

alphafox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 02:29 PM
Columbus Mike
Next CBJ GM

vCash: 800
Quote:
Holy understatement Batman. Having said that he better let JPM and Howson know the blueline blows. And not the one where I buy CBJ merchandise.
Speaking of this (kinda), wasn't there a story or thread a few weeks ago about how someone, maybe Vinny, bought all of his shirts from the gift store?

Columbus Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 02:32 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbus Mike View Post
Speaking of this (kinda), wasn't there a story or thread a few weeks ago about how someone, maybe Vinny, bought all of his shirts from the gift store?
No idea, but for about 3 years it made up all my "work" shirts.

Old
02-08-2012, 02:45 PM
jdhebner
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbus Mike View Post
Indeed there was. The poster recollected that all the Prospal Jerseys had been purchased by Vinny. Maybe it was for a Charity event after all. I was certain it meant his heading back to the NYR. I was certainly completely wrong.

jdhebner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 02:49 PM
EspenK

I think I'm a minority of one here. While Prospal appears to be a solid citizen I don't understand it. This team sucks and massive changes need to be made. So for next year already signed are:

Nash-Carter-Prospal
Umbie-Johansen-Brassard
-Vermette-
Gillies-Letestu-

6 defensemen

A beyond repair goalie

Gotta figure Dorsett gets signed and hopefully Mackenzie too
Add the number 1 draft choice (no names don't want to jinx it) and Atkinson and a backup goalie and the team is pretty much set.

So where does the improvement come from? trading off our underachievers for top-2 d-men or starting goalies? Signing a top notch goalie in FA? Granted Prospal wouldn't have brought more than a 2nd but hey Shea Weber was a 2nd.

Maybe leesmith is right. The identity of this team is "midwest niceness". I can't imagine this kind of move being tolerated much less welcomed by the fan base in NY,Philly,Boston,Canada, etc.

Sure hope Howson has a bunch of tricks up his sleeve to strengthen this team or next year will be deja vu all over again.

EspenK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 02:59 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by EspenK View Post
The identity of this team is "midwest niceness". I can't imagine this kind of move being tolerated much less welcomed by the fan base in NY,Philly,Boston,Canada, etc.
I must say I don't understand your issue or why you would feel these other teams wouldn't understand the return of a veteran (who has performed fairly well) with the understanding they are going to be part of the organization after retirement.

I don't understand it and I'm certainly not the poster child for "Midwestern nice".

Old
02-08-2012, 03:01 PM
CBJWennberg41
Formerly CBJBrassard

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJSprague24 View Post

Thats awesome. Seems like the players love him.

CBJWennberg41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 03:12 PM
KallioWeHardlyKnewYe
Blue Jacket's Curse

Quote:
I think I'm a minority of one here. While Prospal appears to be a solid citizen I don't understand it. This team sucks and massive changes need to be made. So for next year already signed are:

Nash-Carter-Prospal
Umbie-Johansen-Brassard
-Vermette-
Gillies-Letestu-

6 defensemen

A beyond repair goalie

Gotta figure Dorsett gets signed and hopefully Mackenzie too
Add the number 1 draft choice (no names don't want to jinx it) and Atkinson and a backup goalie and the team is pretty much set.

So where does the improvement come from? trading off our underachievers for top-2 d-men or starting goalies? Signing a top notch goalie in FA? Granted Prospal wouldn't have brought more than a 2nd but hey Shea Weber was a 2nd.

Maybe leesmith is right. The identity of this team is "midwest niceness". I can't imagine this kind of move being tolerated much less welcomed by the fan base in NY,Philly,Boston,Canada, etc.

Sure hope Howson has a bunch of tricks up his sleeve to strengthen this team or next year will be deja vu all over again.
We don't know how those pieces may or may not move (4 of the forwards you mention are currently at the middle of frequent trade rumors). There's lots of time for action between now and when the puck drops at the start of next season.

Sheesh, we gotta let this process play out at least a little bit.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 03:12 PM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

Whoa! Good move.

leesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 04:00 PM
Iron Balls McGinty

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhebner View Post
Indeed there was. The poster recollected that all the Prospal Jerseys had been purchased by Vinny. Maybe it was for a Charity event after all. I was certain it meant his heading back to the NYR. I was certainly completely wrong.
That may be true for t shirts because there are no Prospal player t's in the store but there still are and always have been Prospal 3rd jersey's in the Blue Line. I don't think they ever did stock the home and away jerseys with his name on them.

Iron Balls McGinty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 04:12 PM
IBleedUnionBlue

vCash: 940
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Balls McGinty View Post
That may be true for t shirts because there are no Prospal player t's in the store but there still are and always have been Prospal 3rd jersey's in the Blue Line. I don't think they ever did stock the home and away jerseys with his name on them.
I can vouch for this. My wife wants a replica home Prospal and I went down to store last night and they only have the 3rds.

IBleedUnionBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 04:19 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
I see the deal depresses you.
Oh, yeah. I'm so depressed that the neighbors were asking me "good lord, what was that noise? Sounded like some sort of shout of jubilation or something."

Quote:
I think I'm a minority of one here. While Prospal appears to be a solid citizen I don't understand it.

[...]

So where does the improvement come from? trading off our underachievers for top-2 d-men or starting goalies? Signing a top notch goalie in FA?
There's also UFA defensemen, but, basically, yeah. When there's guys who are genuinely leading by example - and getting tangible results out of other players by doing so - then you should keep 'em around.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 04:21 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
As some have mentioned Patrick may have helped Howson along with this signing, which is a good one. Prospal has been quiet lately but several months ago he did speak his mind and backed it up. As some have also mentioned itís possible he wants to settle down as his career comes to an end. He could end up in the organization adding some needed experience behind the scenes..

Itís a leadership move, I donít know about captain (doubt it actually) but he does have the goods to lead the team with the ďCĒ.

Several months ago I was hoping he would stick around to be part of a new core but the chatter about him being traded was so intense lately I gave up on those thoughts. Surprising and great signing!

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 04:31 PM
RDriesenUD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanabijou View Post
Am I the only one surprised by this re-signing?? I like Vinny, but I was sure he'd be part of the sell-off at the deadline.

Link from Blue Jackets website:

http://bluejackets.nhl.com/club/news...id=DL|CBJ|home
I am totally surprised and have no clue why they did this. Howson has to go. I can't believe he still is the GM.

RDriesenUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 04:33 PM
RDriesenUD

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJFan1 View Post
My first thought... Wow. I can't believe he would want to re-sign here.

Then I thought... Wait, maybe a potential trade partner wanted him signed through next season as part of the deal.

Either way, good for him.

Whether he stays or goes, I wish him the best going forward in his career.

EDIT*** After seeing more information come out... no-trade clause, and the gentlemen's agreement... Prospal = classy guy. Welcome to Columbus for the stay.

From Portzline's twiiter... "Prospal's deal also includes a "gentleman's agreement" w #CBJ. He'll keep signing 1-year deals through the rest of his career, then take on a position with the organization. "His value goes way beyond the points," GM Scott Howson tell Dispatch."

Wow.
That is good of him and I like having him on the team, but I would have rather traded him for a young prospect and/or pick.

RDriesenUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 04:34 PM
Gulvorn

Nash - Brassard - Umberger
Johansen - Carter - Prospal
Dorsett - Vermette - Yakupov
Gilles - Letestu - Atkinson

+ Calvert

Wisniewski - Tyutin
Methot - Nikitin
Moore - Clitsome

I don't think the Jackets forward lineup is that bad. I think Carter and Nash seem to play better without each other, and having Carter on the 2nd line gives that line the ability to score, which without him always seems to be a scoreless line (problems in years past)

I honestly think one of the centers will get moved if not at the deadline then in the off-season. So I expect either Brassard or Vermette to be gone. Keeping Vermette would give us a 3rd line center that could score though, I think next years 3rd line isn't going to be much of a shut down, so I just put our 1st rounder there for now, even though I expect injuries to force them into top 6 minutes. I don't see us resigning Mackenzie because he is UFA and I doubt he wants to be a permanent 4th liner. Who knows where Huselius ends up. Pahlsson I expect to be moved at the trade deadline to a team needing a 3rd line center.

What we need to do in the offseason is get a top line shut down defender to play with Wiz, and then put Tyutin and Nikitin on the 2nd D line and fill out the last line with Savard/Moore/Clitsome/Methot, whoever is playing best. I could see 1 or 2 of them getting traded to maybe try to fill that spot.

Goalie to me just needs a start over. Not sure where they are going to go. I'd try and put any kind of trade offer to get rid of Mason. If nothing becomes available in the off-season, maybe see if anyone would pick him up on waivers. If no one does, I wouldn't buy out, just put him in the minors until his contract is over. I'd like the Jackets to go with 2 goalies that could be a 1a-1b type situation. Unfortunately, the UFA goalie this year isn't that great. Nittymaki, Vokoun, Nabokov, and Harding are the best on the list. Then of course there are a lot of good RFA goalies with Rask and Schneider. I don't see why the Jackets couldn't put together a package to get one of those 2 considering both of those goalies are on a team with another goalie being the #1. Of course if they could get Schneider as 1a for say 4M and then Nittymaki for 2M or so, I think that would be ideal, but probably fantasy. That cost would cover Huselius/Pahlsson leaving UFA, but would mean we wouldn't have much to add on D or F. Maybe ideally let the 1b goalie be a like like Dek was supposed to be this year, and use that extra money to also get the #2 D. Who knows.

Gulvorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 04:36 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDriesenUD View Post
I am totally surprised and have no clue why they did this. Howson has to go. I can't believe he still is the GM.
Of all the things to be critical of with Howson, this is at the bottom of the list for me.

Old
02-08-2012, 04:37 PM
blahblah

Why do people have to depress me with line combinations?

Old
02-08-2012, 04:42 PM
ClevelandJacketFan
Awesome Mascots!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulvorn View Post
Nash - Brassard - Umberger
Johansen - Carter - Prospal
Dorsett - Vermette - Yakupov
Gilles - Letestu - Atkinson

+ Calvert

Wisniewski - Tyutin
Methot - Nikitin
Moore - Clitsome
No matter who is in net, that is a team destined to be in the lotto again next year.

If this signing is anything but a guy wanting to finish his career here and the Jackets wanting a real leader and vet for when we start rebuilding again, then I'm going to be po'd.

ClevelandJacketFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 04:45 PM
Gulvorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClevelandJacketFan View Post
No matter who is in net, that is a team destined to be in the lotto again next year.

If this signing is anything but a guy wanting to finish his career here and the Jackets wanting a real leader and vet for when we start rebuilding again, then I'm going to be po'd.
I don't disagree, but I guess I'm still a bit optimistic that if we get someone solid in net and add something positive on defense, that this team would at least have a chance at being decent next year.

Gulvorn is offline   Reply With Quote