HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Radio this morning

Old
02-08-2012, 09:45 AM
VFL615*

vCash: 500
Radio this morning

Heard some interesting insite this morning on local Nashville radio. Here are some of the things that caught my attention and am interested in yalls thoughts.

1. 104.5 They were talking about the preds and some guy called in wondering if the Preds would be interested in Carter. Mark Howard immediatly broke the dude off and said NO he is a cancer to the locker room and a dog. He said he parties way to much as well. The thing that caught my ears however is he said that Carter is the only player that Trotz has publicly critized. After the Blue Jackets game where Carter scored a hat trick and we ended up winning Trots in his post game answered a reporters ? and said something to the effect of yeah he scored his hat trick and then disappeared. I personally did not watch or hear the post game that night. Did anyone else?
If this is true without the backing of Trotz this deal is never going to happen so everyone mark him off the list.

2. 102.5 They were interviewing Trotz in a segment they call coffee with the coach.
Trotz was talking about the team and said this team is good and has something special about it. If we could just add some pieces and keep playing good hockey this team can go far.
He also went on to mention that after the game him and Suter were walking out of the arena together and he told Suter we have a really good hockey team and that Suter looked right at him and said yeah we do.

I hope Suter really believes that because it is going to take the big 3's leadership and play to get this team to where they are capable of.

VFL615* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 09:51 AM
Shea Weber

Quote:
Originally Posted by VFL615 View Post
Heard some interesting insite this morning on local Nashville radio. Here are some of the things that caught my attention and am interested in yalls thoughts.

1. 104.5 They were talking about the preds and some guy called in wondering if the Preds would be interested in Carter. Mark Howard immediatly broke the dude off and said NO he is a cancer to the locker room and a dog. He said he parties way to much as well. The thing that caught my ears however is he said that Carter is the only player that Trotz has publicly critized. After the Blue Jackets game where Carter scored a hat trick and we ended up winning Trots in his post game answered a reporters ? and said something to the effect of yeah he scored his hat trick and then disappeared. I personally did not watch or hear the post game that night. Did anyone else?
If this is true without the backing of Trotz this deal is never going to happen so everyone mark him off the list.

2. 102.5 They were interviewing Trotz in a segment they call coffee with the coach.
Trotz was talking about the team and said this team is good and has something special about it. If we could just add some pieces and keep playing good hockey this team can go far.
He also went on to mention that after the game him and Suter were walking out of the arena together and he told Suter we have a really good hockey team and that Suter looked right at him and said yeah we do.

I hope Suter really believes that because it is going to take the big 3's leadership and play to get this team to where they are capable of.
I like this a lot. Didn't hear that, thanks for sharing.

I also heard Mark's rant about Carter, found it interesting. He usually knows what he's talking about, but damn he's such an unbelievable know-it-all it gets so old listening to him sometimes....

Shea Weber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 10:01 AM
VFL615*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shea Weber View Post
I like this a lot. Didn't hear that, thanks for sharing.

I also heard Mark's rant about Carter, found it interesting. He usually knows what he's talking about, but damn he's such an unbelievable know-it-all it gets so old listening to him sometimes....
102.5 does a great interview with Trotz every Wed morning at 7:20 or so. He is always really funny and interesting. They even ask him 3 or 4 ?'s from fans on facebook and he answers. Yeah, mark can rant but that mentioned recorded ? and answer from Trotz about Carter during a pressure was very interesting. If it is true i doubt the Preds would give up a 5th round pick for him.

Old
02-08-2012, 10:04 AM
Preds311

Yeah, I don't think Trotz is fond of Carter at all. Saw on twitter earlier about the Trotz/Suter exchange this morning. Thanks for posting.

Mark Howard jumps over anyone with a different view and more often than not, he is way out in left field with no reason to be pissy.

Preds311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 10:16 AM
Drake744
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preds311 View Post
Mark Howard jumps over anyone with a different view and more often than not, he is way out in left field with no reason to be pissy.
Well he IS a New Yorker haha

Drake744 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 10:24 AM
Preds311

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake744 View Post
Well he IS a New Yorker haha
I usually applaud the brashness and honesty of NE people, but he is the exception. He does have a face made for radio.

Preds311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 10:36 AM
token grinder

Mark Howard chirped back at me when I balsted him for not asking Fisher about the GooGoo goal when we finally got one.

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 10:37 AM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

Whatever mark howard says, take with a huge grain of salt.

Roman Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 10:38 AM
Shea Weber

Quote:
Originally Posted by token grinder View Post
Mark Howard chirped back at me when I balsted him for not asking Fisher about the GooGoo goal when we finally got one.
I don't even want to know what that entails...

Old
02-08-2012, 10:38 AM
Legionnaire11

At least he has a genuine interest in hockey, unlike the vast majority of Nashville media.

Legionnaire11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 10:39 AM
Shea Weber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire11 View Post
At least he has a genuine interest in hockey, unlike the vast majority of Nashville media.
This is true, but it doesn't make him less obnoxious.

Old
02-08-2012, 10:43 AM
Drake744
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire11 View Post
Yeah that's why I've always accepted him and whatnot. He really was the first Nashville media member who knew enough about the game to go back and forth with fans. Still is probably.

Drake744 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 10:49 AM
Shea Weber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake744 View Post
Yeah that's why I've always accepted him and whatnot. He really was the first Nashville media member who knew enough about the game to go back and forth with fans. Still is probably.
Willy Daunic?

Old
02-08-2012, 10:51 AM
jstreet

vCash: 50
Last night on the Nucks broadcast their announcer made a point to say that there was no hockey coverage in the newspaper yesterday, implying that hockey isn't much cared for or discussed in the media.

True that the Titansean doesn't report like they should outside of Josh Cooper's twitter feed but our radio stations are coming along and our bloggers are both insightful and interesting.

jstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 11:01 AM
Shea Weber

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstreet View Post
Last night on the Nucks broadcast their announcer made a point to say that there was no hockey coverage in the newspaper yesterday, implying that hockey isn't much cared for or discussed in the media.

True that the Titansean doesn't report like they should outside of Josh Cooper's twitter feed but our radio stations are coming along and our bloggers are both insightful and interesting.
What's a newspaper?

Old
02-08-2012, 11:07 AM
Legionnaire11

Tennessean has a circulation of about 160,000... they could write articles supporting Hitler and Bin Laden if they wanted and 90% of Nashville would have no idea.

Legionnaire11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 11:08 AM
David Singleton
HFB Partner

Quote:

I was listening this morning on my way into the office.

I like Mark Howard quite a bit. He's willing to ask the tougher questions that some won't. On the other hand, he does have a tendency to talk over the callers and not let them get their point out. Both Kevin and Frank have called him out on it as well.

This morning, I had a lot of problems with what Mark said beyond him just acting like an ass. He had two reasons for not bringing in Jeff Carter: his partying habits and the fact that he "quit" in the game after he'd earned his hat trick (which Trotz noted). He also said that you don't go acquire a player that "no team" wants and has been traded often (paraphrasing the last part).

While both of Mark's statements regarding Carter are quite possibly valid, that shouldn't preclude the possibility of bringing him on board. It should definitely be a part of the risk analysis of bringing him in, but doesn't warrant Mark's treatment of the caller. This team has handled plenty of players with issues in the past and been successful (obviously the most recent being the successful handling of Jordin Tootoo's alcoholism). The team has also handled many players that have gotten into Trotz's doghouse for not playing well, or quitting at times (again, the most recent example being Colin Wilson last season).

As for the "no team" wants him and trade aspects he addressed, Mark was pulling stuff out of his butt. Mike Sillinger has been traded more times than Gretsky scored goals (obvious exaggeration), but was a great fit for this team. Hossa played on three teams in three seasons, but still seemed to be an excellent fit wherever he went (Pittsburgh, Detroit, and ultimately Chicago).

Every player is going to get a second and maybe even a third chance. There are pros and cons for every player and the risks have to be weighed accordingly. Having not spoken to Poile or Trotz recently, and therefore just making an outside observation, Carter would be an outstanding fit on the ice. I would fully expect that any consideration to bringing in Carter would involve discussion with Trotz and quite likely with the team's leadership group. If those discussions had taken place, and Mark was privy to those results, he should have addressed the caller in that fashion.

At the end of the day, I enjoy Mark Howard on the zone overall. There's no doubt that he was a complete ass to that caller this morning and more than slightly off-base in his reasoning as to why Carter wouldn't be a good fit on the Predators. Now, there's definitely questions that should be addressed if you're going to bring him in.

David Singleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 11:23 AM
VFL615*

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Singleton View Post
I was listening this morning on my way into the office.

I like Mark Howard quite a bit. He's willing to ask the tougher questions that some won't. On the other hand, he does have a tendency to talk over the callers and not let them get their point out. Both Kevin and Frank have called him out on it as well.

This morning, I had a lot of problems with what Mark said beyond him just acting like an ass. He had two reasons for not bringing in Jeff Carter: his partying habits and the fact that he "quit" in the game after he'd earned his hat trick (which Trotz noted). He also said that you don't go acquire a player that "no team" wants and has been traded often (paraphrasing the last part).

While both of Mark's statements regarding Carter are quite possibly valid, that shouldn't preclude the possibility of bringing him on board. It should definitely be a part of the risk analysis of bringing him in, but doesn't warrant Mark's treatment of the caller. This team has handled plenty of players with issues in the past and been successful (obviously the most recent being the successful handling of Jordin Tootoo's alcoholism). The team has also handled many players that have gotten into Trotz's doghouse for not playing well, or quitting at times (again, the most recent example being Colin Wilson last season).

As for the "no team" wants him and trade aspects he addressed, Mark was pulling stuff out of his butt. Mike Sillinger has been traded more times than Gretsky scored goals (obvious exaggeration), but was a great fit for this team. Hossa played on three teams in three seasons, but still seemed to be an excellent fit wherever he went (Pittsburgh, Detroit, and ultimately Chicago).

Every player is going to get a second and maybe even a third chance. There are pros and cons for every player and the risks have to be weighed accordingly. Having not spoken to Poile or Trotz recently, and therefore just making an outside observation, Carter would be an outstanding fit on the ice. I would fully expect that any consideration to bringing in Carter would involve discussion with Trotz and quite likely with the team's leadership group. If those discussions had taken place, and Mark was privy to those results, he should have addressed the caller in that fashion.

At the end of the day, I enjoy Mark Howard on the zone overall. There's no doubt that he was a complete ass to that caller this morning and more than slightly off-base in his reasoning as to why Carter wouldn't be a good fit on the Predators. Now, there's definitely questions that should be addressed if you're going to bring him in.
My post was not intended to be a judgement on Mark Howard. I was not concerned with the way he treats callers. I was putting out what was said and if anyone had heard that post game comment by Trotz. It appears others can verify it.

Sure every player comes with an up and downside. ? is why did the Flyers sign him to that long term contract and then trade him? Next ? is why are the Jackets so ready to give up on him? They sucked before him and suck with him. What makes them think getting rid of him is going to make them any better.
If you get on the flyer blogs from last year you will find a lot of interesting reads on Carter. After doing my research unless he can do a complete 180 like Toots did i do not want him near this team.

Old
02-08-2012, 11:31 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

There's literally no one in the Nashville media that has any real insight as to what's going on internally to the team. I saw an extended argument between Joe Dubin and a fan on twitter because Dubin guaranteed Radulov will never be back and no one at any level of the team would want him back...right after asking who Alex Burrows was.

Howard does a decent job covering the Preds, but he's still just one of the slightly less idiotic fools. I wouldn't take his word on who we would or wouldn't acquire.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 11:37 AM
VFL615*

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
There's literally no one in the Nashville media that has any real insight as to what's going on internally to the team. I saw an extended argument between Joe Dubin and a fan on twitter because Dubin guaranteed Radulov will never be back and no one at any level of the team would want him back...right after asking who Alex Burrows was.

Howard does a decent job covering the Preds, but he's still just one of the slightly less idiotic fools. I wouldn't take his word on who we would or wouldn't acquire.
Again for like the third time. No one is on the believing Mark Howard train on his inside knowledge. A taped post game interview comment was the only thing i was trying to confirm. Mark Howard just gives us his opinion like we all give to each other.

Old
02-08-2012, 11:54 AM
David Singleton
HFB Partner

Quote:
Again for like the third time. No one is on the believing Mark Howard train on his inside knowledge. A taped post game interview comment was the only thing i was trying to confirm. Mark Howard just gives us his opinion like we all give to each other.
I understand that. That said, as a member of the media, Mark's credibility can suffer both from how he gets his point across as well as what he says (I think Voldy likes reminds me of that often, lol). I think he failed on both counts.

As for the post-game presser where Trotz addressed Carter, it was the 12/22 game where Nashville won 6-5. Here's the video from PredsOnTheGlass.com (Buddy always does a great job in getting the post-game presser up soon after home games). He addresses Carter starting at the 5:03 mark. In making this reply, I re-watched that video and didn't get the same vibe as Mark did. I didn't hear a criticism of Jeff Carter from Trotz in either the words, body language or tone from Trotz.

Mark also said that Trotz never calls out players other than for cheap shots. That's slightly inaccurate as he often calls out his own players- particularly young players as that's often been debated around here. That said, it is the first time I've someone get the perception he called out an opposing player for their efforts (again, I disagree with that perception after watching the video).

Doesn't change my opinion in how one assesses a potential add to the team from a GM standpoint: perform a risk analysis and get the opinions of the coach and leadership group among the players.

David Singleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 11:58 AM
VFL615*

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Singleton View Post
I understand that. That said, as a member of the media, Mark's credibility can suffer both from how he gets his point across as well as what he says (I think Voldy likes reminds me of that often, lol). I think he failed on both counts.

As for the post-game presser where Trotz addressed Carter, it was the 12/22 game where Nashville won 6-5. Here's the video from PredsOnTheGlass.com (Buddy always does a great job in getting the post-game presser up soon after home games). He addresses Carter starting at the 5:03 mark. In making this reply, I re-watched that video and didn't get the same vibe as Mark did. I didn't hear a criticism of Jeff Carter from Trotz in either the words, body language or tone from Trotz.

Mark also said that Trotz never calls out players other than for cheap shots. That's slightly inaccurate as he often calls out his own players- particularly young players as that's often been debated around here. That said, it is the first time I've someone get the perception he called out an opposing player for their efforts (again, I disagree with that perception after watching the video).

Doesn't change my opinion in how one assesses a potential add to the team from a GM standpoint: perform a risk analysis and get the opinions of the coach and leadership group among the players.
I agree Mark Howard is not always the best at getting his point across. Thanks for the video that is what i was looking for.
Mark did not mean that Trotz did not call out players under him he was saying that Trotz does not call out players on other teams.
Mark was spot on in what he said about the press conference. Trotz said after Carter hit the post he thought he did not have much going on. (Carter hit the post to the start of the 2nd period) He goes onto say "you know he got his three goals and that was enough" and went onto another subject.
Thanks for the info.

Last edited by VFL615*: 02-08-2012 at 12:06 PM.
Old
02-08-2012, 02:22 PM
MarkMM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstreet View Post

Yeah, I heard that. I don't think it was meant as a slight to Nashville, they also talked about how Nashville is the hottest team in the league and has been getting solid attendance, so I think the announcers were befuddled how the news media could not be covering the team when it was such a great story and the general public seemed to be responding.

MarkMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 02:42 PM
Insanepredator

Send a message via Skype™ to Insanepredator
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkMM View Post
Yeah, I heard that. I don't think it was meant as a slight to Nashville, they also talked about how Nashville is the hottest team in the league and has been getting solid attendance, so I think the announcers were befuddled how the news media could not be covering the team when it was such a great story and the general public seemed to be responding.
Cause the Tennessean is the largest newspaper in the city and it sucks.

Insanepredator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 02:51 PM
gopreds19
Formerly gobears19

Quote:

After the Blue Jackets game where Carter scored a hat trick and we ended up winning Trots in his post game answered a reporters ? and said something to the effect of yeah he scored his hat trick and then disappeared.
I remember Trotz saying that, but I think Howard is taking it out of context. Pretty much Trotz was saying, was that all Carter did was score three goals (tongue in cheek). Like saying, "yeah, he didn't do much other than score a hat trick against us", hardy har har. I don't think he was criticising him, other than maybe, the preds were able to stop the bleeding after Carter got the hatty.

gopreds19 is offline   Reply With Quote