Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Notices

Boychuk and future with Bruins

Closed Thread

Old
02-08-2012, 01:02 PM
nycbruins*

vCash: 500
I know the cap's gone up, and Boychuk deserves market-rate for his services, I just don't want the Bruins to be the ones ponying up big cash for him. I like him as a $2 million d-man paired with Chara.

I also like the McLaren-Bourque analogy with Chara & Hamilton. I doubt McLaren was 220lbs. in 1995, he looked really thin. I don't think Chara can make a partner look as good as Bourque did, but maybe that will be balanced out by the fact that Hamilton will be a year older and far more talented than McLaren at the time.

Old
02-08-2012, 01:04 PM
BobbyAwe

Hate to lose Manchuck though...that would be one less "Big, Bad Bruin" that we need to keep us being the "Big, Bad Bruins".

Old
02-08-2012, 01:07 PM
Jean_Jacket41
Neely = HOF

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredUser View Post
I tend to agree with this but if needed PC could do it with the reasoning that the cap increase has raised the contract required for that calibre of player. It's the same story as Bergy and Krejci.
Not the same story cause you could make the argument that Krejci is better than Bergeron. You just can't make that argument with Boychuk-Seidenberg...

Boychuk futur with the Bruins will depend of his salary demands. If he ask for too much, he'll be gone.

I like him and would like to see him stay here but we'll see... And, if Suter is on the UFA market come July 1st, I rather Chia to do everything he can to sign him here long term with a 36M/6y offer. Chara-Suter-Seidenberg-Hamilton for years to come... wow...

Old
02-08-2012, 02:27 PM
BubbaBoot

Going to be tough to keep him.

Ideally it would be great tp get him for around $2.5MIL for a few years.....anything more and he's gone.

I don't know what the cap is going to be but currently for next season the B's have a little under $11.5MIL available if we use this years ceiling as a measure.

Factors:

a) Rask.
He is the #1 priority. Love him or hate him he's better than 90% of the GKs out there right now. He's a RFA and woefully underpaid right now in light of his record, be it system enhanced or otherwise. The Bruins need to tie him up long term....at the very least he will double his salary to what Price gets right now.

b) Kelly.
I think he's gone. He is UFA currently at $2.125MIL. I love the guy's play and versatility but it's a lot of dough for a 3rd liner. I am very mixed about this. The 3rd most important contract coming up for next year and the 2013-14 FAs will have an impact on what both he and Boychuk will get IMO.

c) Campbell, Paille, Thornton
Best 4th line in the league. All UFAs who're still effective in their roles, battlehardened and Stanley Cup winners. Campbell (28 yrs old) and Paille (27 yrs old) as PKers and Thornton's (34 yrs old) enforcer / locker room mojo. All make around 3MIL combined. There's really no one in Providence who can step in and do what they do....maybe Caron but that's a long stretch. Suave? Knight? Spooner? Camper? If we can get them for around the same dough (10 - 15% raise), I think that'd be a plus.

d) Hamill
His cap hit is $1.375MIL and he doesn't come close to what the current 4th line can do. He's gone IMO.

e) Pouiliot
His cap right now is $1.1MIL. He's been solid enough but do the B's retain him at the same dough or go shopping for someone else? 50-50 at best.

f) Corvo
Gone....at $2.25MIL he hasn't shown enough to retain his services again. It's no secret the Bruins are shopping for another offensively minded d-man but they aren't growing on trees and will cost the Bruins dearly, thusly taking up a lot of space.

g) Hamilton
On the books for $1.525MIL. Unless he has a spectacular camp I see him at least starting in Providence next season. The B's aren't going to rush him.

h) Savard
However this cap space gets worked out is a speculative mystery and lordy knows how this is going to play out.

Depending on the Rask layout / whatever defenseman pickup and subtraction happens / retaining the 4th line at near their current level.....there is IMO around $4MIL to 5MIL to play with, (this is without Kelly).

Not a lot of headroom IMO unless the cap ceiling goes up significantly.

Boychuk is a quality 2nd pairing defensemen. I think someone's going to offer a big number for him and I don't think it's going to be the Bruins.

Old
02-08-2012, 02:38 PM
nycbruins*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbaBoot View Post
Going to be tough to keep him.

Ideally it would be great tp get him for around $2.5MIL for a few years.....anything more and he's gone.

I don't know what the cap is going to be but currently for next season the B's have a little under $11.5MIL available if we use this years ceiling as a measure.

Factors:

a) Rask.
He is the #1 priority. Love him or hate him he's better than 90% of the GKs out there right now. He's a RFA and woefully underpaid right now in light of his record, be it system enhanced or otherwise. The Bruins need to tie him up long term....at the very least he will double his salary to what Price gets right now.

b) Kelly.
I think he's gone. He is UFA currently at $2.125MIL. I love the guy's play and versatility but it's a lot of dough for a 3rd liner. I am very mixed about this. The 3rd most important contract coming up for next year and the 2013-14 FAs will have an impact on what both he and Boychuk will get IMO.

c) Campbell, Paille, Thornton
Best 4th line in the league. All UFAs who're still effective in their roles, battlehardened and Stanley Cup winners. Campbell (28 yrs old) and Paille (27 yrs old) as PKers and Thornton's (34 yrs old) enforcer / locker room mojo. All make around 3MIL combined. There's really no one in Providence who can step in and do what they do....maybe Caron but that's a long stretch. Suave? Knight? Spooner? Camper? If we can get them for around the same dough (10 - 15% raise), I think that'd be a plus.

d) Hamill
His cap hit is $1.375MIL and he doesn't come close to what the current 4th line can do. He's gone IMO.

e) Pouiliot
His cap right now is $1.1MIL. He's been solid enough but do the B's retain him at the same dough or go shopping for someone else? 50-50 at best.

f) Corvo
Gone....at $2.25MIL he hasn't shown enough to retain his services again. It's no secret the Bruins are shopping for another offensively minded d-man but they aren't growing on trees and will cost the Bruins dearly, thusly taking up a lot of space.

g) Hamilton
On the books for $1.525MIL. Unless he has a spectacular camp I see him at least starting in Providence next season. The B's aren't going to rush him.

h) Savard
However this cap space gets worked out is a speculative mystery and lordy knows how this is going to play out.

Depending on the Rask layout / whatever defenseman pickup and subtraction happens / retaining the 4th line at near their current level.....there is IMO around $4MIL to 5MIL to play with, (this is without Kelly).

Not a lot of headroom IMO unless the cap ceiling goes up significantly.

Boychuk is a quality 2nd pairing defensemen. I think someone's going to offer a big number for him and I don't think it's going to be the Bruins.
f) Hamilton can't play in provo next season. Niagara or Boston for him
g) Savvy gets put on LTIR. So we do know how that will play out.

Also to take into account, the bonus cushion could be back in play if the Bruins decide to go that route.

Old
02-08-2012, 02:41 PM
cvbruins15

Serious question where do all of you think the money for Suter comes from? Are we letting every UFA/RFA go this year save for rask and signing a bunch of guys to minimum deals. That leaves 4.5mil to sign a 4th line 3rd line winger and 13th forward. Seems absolutely awful to me.

This doesn't even mention the bind this puts Chia in for resigning Lucic, Marchand, Seguin and resigning/replacing Horton and Ference the following year. Can we just put this thing to bed Suter does not fit into the cap structure here. He is at the very minimum a $6m guy.

We also may see the cap go down this offseason with the new CBA discussions.

Spooner or Knight may slot in, easing the burden in this situation a little bit.

By signing Suter this team is going to have to take away from it's biggest strength top 18 player depth and become a top heavy team signing in filler sub 1m contract type guys for 5+6 dman and 8/9-12 forwards. The big problem here is that there isn't enough elite forward talent on this roster or in the system to do that imo.

Old
02-08-2012, 03:47 PM
BubbaBoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycbruins View Post
f) Hamilton can't play in provo next season. Niagara or Boston for him
g) Savvy gets put on LTIR. So we do know how that will play out.

Also to take into account, the bonus cushion could be back in play if the Bruins decide to go that route.
Oh jeez, that's right.

Old
02-08-2012, 06:35 PM
rocketdan9

If Suter wants 7 million , i would say forget it. He will prob get it if a guy like Wiesniewki can get 6

Old
02-08-2012, 06:38 PM
missingchicklet

I think the make or break for Boychuk staying on the Bs will be how he performs in the playoffs. If he is strong in the playoffs then I think Chia will pony up the money to keep him. If not, then we will probably investigate cheaper options.

Old
02-14-2012, 09:24 AM
Giesse

I read a report that someone overheard (please take that for exactly what it sounds like) that Boychuk said he will be resigned very, very soon.

I do so hope that is so, and will quietly go and await my spanking if I am merely spreading a false rumor.

Old
02-14-2012, 10:03 AM
DaStinger
My Precious!

Send a message via MSN to DaStinger
I love the manchuk but some of the numbers I'm seeing are nuts. If he wants $4M+ then I say goodbye. Playing next to Chara can make a guy look real good. If he's in the ballpark of $2.5M then I'm on board.

Old
02-14-2012, 10:31 AM
Dr Seldon
I play like Carl

Regarding Larsson and his abillity to step into the NHL right after beeing drafted, it should be noted that he had and exceptional early development. He was playing in the SEL, in a large role, at age 16. So he had two years of senior play before crossing the Atlantic.

Now, I don't know if that says anything about Hamiltons chances of making the Bruins next year.

As for Boychuk, I'm kinda on the fence. I like having him on the team, he can certainly be of use. However if they decide to let him go, I wouldn't be too sad either. I guess, as always, in the end it comes down to the money.

Old
02-14-2012, 11:45 AM
doubleminor138
Call me Snake

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Seldon View Post
As for Boychuk, I'm kinda on the fence. I like having him on the team, he can certainly be of use. However if they decide to let him go, I wouldn't be too sad either. I guess, as always, in the end it comes down to the money.
Same here. I like Boychuck and what he brings to the table. I just believe that he will price himself out of a realistic spot on the team. Physical, Big Shot and Decent Positionaly. But...Not Very Mobile and Not The Best Decision-Maker.

Paying Boychuck more than $2.5 or $2.75 is tough to swallow.

EDIT - my math mistakes.

A true fan who will always be remembered.
Old
02-14-2012, 11:56 AM
Dwatson783
@dwatson783

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean_Jacket41 View Post
Not the same story cause you could make the argument that Krejci is better than Bergeron. You just can't make that argument with Boychuk-Seidenberg...

Boychuk futur with the Bruins will depend of his salary demands. If he ask for too much, he'll be gone.

I like him and would like to see him stay here but we'll see... And, if Suter is on the UFA market come July 1st, I rather Chia to do everything he can to sign him here long term with a 36M/6y offer. Chara-Suter-Seidenberg-Hamilton for years to come... wow...
If you can make the 1st, I'm sure you can make the 2nd

Old
02-14-2012, 12:54 PM
Mr. Make-Believe
Pass me another nail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean_Jacket41 View Post
Chiarelli certainly can't give him more than what he gave Seidenberg (3.25M) so if he's asking for more, than he's gone...
Simple truth.

Old
02-14-2012, 01:25 PM
CheerstoBeers

Bob McKenzie @TSNBobMcKenzie
Defenceman Johnny Boychuk has agreed to terms on a three-year contract extension with BOS, with an AAV of $3.36M. #tsn

Old
02-14-2012, 01:29 PM
TMac21
Retooled for 2014

Send a message via AIM to TMac21 Send a message via Yahoo to TMac21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesse View Post
I read a report that someone overheard (please take that for exactly what it sounds like) that Boychuk said he will be resigned very, very soon.

I do so hope that is so, and will quietly go and await my spanking if I am merely spreading a false rumor.
Good call.

Old
02-14-2012, 01:30 PM
Murphy MacManus

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheerstoBeers View Post
Bob McKenzie @TSNBobMcKenzie
Defenceman Johnny Boychuk has agreed to terms on a three-year contract extension with BOS, with an AAV of $3.36M. #tsn
Excellent. Good news heading into tonight's game.

Old
02-14-2012, 01:31 PM
Scotto74

vCash: 50
Lets more the talk to the new thread.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1106707

BOSTON STRONG!!!
Closed Thread