HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Most successful slump ever.

Old
02-07-2012, 01:04 PM
serge2k

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Cee View Post
Results are all that matters.
They are, but the concern is that playing like this will catch up to them. Especially in the playoffs.

Really could rephrase that to say Playoff results are all that matter.

serge2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 02:31 PM
Bourne Endeavor
HFBoards: Night's Watch

vCash: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenextone View Post
Canucks fans are a nervous bunch...we have seen the team fail so many times and feel we need this team to be perfect in order to win the cup.

The team was near perfect last season...and we still couldn't get it done

As a Canucks fan I can't rely on luck because we just don't seem to have it when we need it
Agreed. It's difficult to reach a game before winning it all, only to bow out in shame. Not to mention the team seems to take nights off and regardless of the results, this can be oh so frustrating to fans, who know the team is immensely talented. Once we finally get over the hump, I think everyone from the fans, media to the team itself will calm down.

Bourne Endeavor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 03:18 PM
metric

What's awesome is that despite this slump we have actually gained ground in the west. We now, more or less, control our fate. It's till early, of course, but we are 3 points back of Detroit with 2 games in hand. We're 5 points up on San Jose with them having 2 games in hand. Only St. Louis can jump ahead of us with their game in hand (due to ROW tiebreaker).

metric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 02:17 PM
CpatainCanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by mossey3535 View Post
Ok, so do you all think that if you averaged out the play of this team so far this season that it equates to playoff-ready hockey? I sure don't. If the playoffs had started mid-December, I wouldn't want that team to start the playoffs either.

Yes, we are getting points. Some of them we don't deserve. Yes, that is normal. They are human, blah blah blah.

But we heard this mantra back in October: "If they're playing like this in XXX I will be worried."

Now it's February. How much longer are we going to be saying this?

I challenge anyone to go back through the GDT's and PGT's. If you read the post-game recaps by respected posters like MS and orcatown, they do not paint a pretty picture.

I for one would just like to see 2-3 back to back solid 60 minute efforts. I don't even care if they win or lose. No improbable third period comebacks. No 2nd period team no-shows. Because we all want a Cup and 60 minute efforts are how you get a Cup.

The bottom line is that this team would not win a Cup with the way they have played thus far this season. That's why some of us are worried. That's why when a lot of people cite their record it's infuriating. Their record is good for home-ice, but HOW they play is what will win playoff games.

This team has not played to it's potential this year except sporadically and never for consecutive game runs. IMO there are 30-odd games to rectify the situation but it has to start now. Especially when you consider that if there is a big move at the deadline they will have only 19 games to assimilate the new additions.
Didn't this happen to Pittsburgh in 2008/2009 after losing to Detroit in the Finals the year before? The Penguins kind of stumbled through the regular season, finishing tied for 4th in the Conference. They then were able to put their play into a higher gear in the playoffs.

CpatainCanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 04:04 PM
mrbitterguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CpatainCanuck View Post
Didn't this happen to Pittsburgh in 2008/2009 after losing to Detroit in the Finals the year before? The Penguins kind of stumbled through the regular season, finishing tied for 4th in the Conference. They then were able to put their play into a higher gear in the playoffs.
the salient point that you're missing in the penguins stanley cup winning season is that they fired michael therrien in mid february when the team was slipping out of the playoff race and dan bylsma came in to invigorate the team and take them to the cup.

so, yeah, i guess it's possible that could happen in vancouver, but i wouldn't put money on it.

mrbitterguy is offline   Reply With Quote