HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Skate stride problem

Old
02-07-2012, 11:58 PM
Squidriss

vCash: 500
Skate stride problem

So im not that new to hockey but ever since i got proper fitting skates ive been making leaps in my skating the only issue is when i go from a quick start with short powerful steps to my longer strides i keep slipping and edge when ever i try multiple long strides at high speeds.

So my question is, can anyone suggest on how to work on it? iI know its not my edges because i get my skates sharpened after every 6 skates.

Look forward to any suggestions

Squidriss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 12:31 PM
Ozolinsh_27

Did you get your new skates profiled?

Is it both skates/legs doing this, or is it an single leg thing maybe you have a nick on one side?

Ozolinsh_27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 05:49 PM
goalie29

Maybe when you're transitioning to the longer strides you aren't digging in properly with your pushing leg? That's a common thing I've seen in people I've taught to skate.

When they shift from the short choppy strides on take off, their balance is too "in the middle" and they don't engage their whole body in their stride and they flail about for a bit, with their pushing foot slipping out.

Hope that description makes some sort of sense...

goalie29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 10:58 PM
Squidriss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozolinsh_27 View Post
Did you get your new skates profiled?

Is it both skates/legs doing this, or is it an single leg thing maybe you have a nick on one side?
nah its not a nick or profile issue, i think it may be my skating just isnt there yet but im not sure on how to work on it

Old
02-09-2012, 11:00 PM
Squidriss

Quote:
Originally Posted by goalie29 View Post
Maybe when you're transitioning to the longer strides you aren't digging in properly with your pushing leg? That's a common thing I've seen in people I've taught to skate.

When they shift from the short choppy strides on take off, their balance is too "in the middle" and they don't engage their whole body in their stride and they flail about for a bit, with their pushing foot slipping out.

Hope that description makes some sort of sense...
That kinda makes sense except i doon really flail around so much as have to build up speed again, its annoying because it slows my momentum im building up skating.. Any ideas on how i can fix it the slipping out part makes sense to me.

Old
02-10-2012, 02:27 AM
kr580

Send a message via AIM to kr580
Try and really exaggerate your knee bend when you're skating. Sit down lower to get more weight into your strides.

kr580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 06:25 AM
Gino 14

Powerskating. Learn to skate.

Gino 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 03:59 PM
Squidriss

Quote:
Originally Posted by kr580 View Post
Try and really exaggerate your knee bend when you're skating. Sit down lower to get more weight into your strides.
Ill give it a shot cant hurt thanks