HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

GDT: 01-11-06 Pittsburgh @ Columbus 7:00 p.m. EST

Closed Thread

Old
01-12-2006, 01:01 PM
darrmd

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeM
Also, how about the look on Nasher’s face when he was sitting in the box at the end of the game – he looked like he was waiting for someone to bring him a beer.
Actually from talking to the NHL official after the game at the bar Nash couldn't believe how late it was and supposedly had a date.

Old
01-12-2006, 01:09 PM
junglecat

Thanks for the replies. I was almost baited by him but i had no backup argument because i did not get to see the game.

Hopefully the momentum can keep up with the team against Tampa and Florida.

Old
01-12-2006, 01:10 PM
TBJF
Brick by Ga-borik

Send a message via AIM to TBJF Send a message via Yahoo to TBJF
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougKnowsBest
Im very excited to see some combination of theses D men when foote comes back

klesla-foote
berard-westcott
hainsey-suchy

with richardson hanging around

As much as we hate the injuries, long term it could be a good thing. We have gotten a lot of players some time this year, that could help build our depth long term.
While I might line them up a little differently, this is a good point. On his radio show, Doug said that for next season the key is stability and keeping the core together. And when you look at it from this angle, that approach makes sense.

And (totally off-topic) have I been reading too much Byzantine history, or does DKB's avatar look like it came straight out of a mosaic in some orthodox church? Way cool!

Old
01-12-2006, 02:11 PM
JakeM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrmd
Actually from talking to the NHL official after the game at the bar Nash couldn't believe how late it was and supposedly had a date.
Even better...priceless!

Old
01-12-2006, 04:59 PM
DougKnowsBest

you cant be talking about my avi. Mine looks like a picture of a great general. Like Patton.

Old
01-12-2006, 05:00 PM
donniedarko

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougKnowsBest
you cant be talking about my avi. Mine looks like a picture of a great general. Like Patton.
It looks like hes saying, "hey it's not my fault."

Bush?

Old
01-12-2006, 05:04 PM
DougKnowsBest

I wish I could find my old avi of doug holding his head in disbeleif. But I cant find it anywhere.

As far as the mosaic avi I bet TBJF is thinking of donni.

edit: But after further review. The way the picture is, it has large spaces of solid bold color. So I guess I could see a mosiac in there.

Last edited by DougKnowsBest: 01-12-2006 at 06:33 PM.
Old
01-12-2006, 06:26 PM
SmokeyClause

Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJSlash
If I remember right in their 5th year the Preds were decimated by injury and turned it on in the end to make a playoff push. Even though they didn't make it they started to believe in themselves.

If we keep up this pace, we are right on track with the most enviable expansion brethren.
I think there are some parallels and some distinct differences. The Preds were never in as rough as shape as CBJ is in this season. The worst the Preds were under .500 was around 8-9 games. They hovered at that point for around a month or two. Secondly, the Preds started their turnaround in late November hitting 8 games below and really playing .500 hockey until early february when they made their run finally peaking at 2 games above in mid-March.

The Jackets are getting on board very late in the season from a much deeper hole. Before their most recent spurt, they were 16 games under. And they haven't actually hit any sort of stride until now.

And the Jackets resurgence has been driven by the return of Nash and the play of Feds and co. The Preds rise occurred in large part because of Vokoun. He had a monster year and pushed the Preds a lot farther than Dunham ever had.

While the Jackets lack anywhere near the quality of goaltending that Vokoun displayed, they have considerably more offense. The question is whether or not the Jackets can sustain this level of play without seeing great goaltending (during the hotstreak, the GAA is still around 3 flat). I think the Jackets can keep this momentum going because I think Denis can play well if he gets help. The more the Jackets score, the more the D can relax and not worrying about pinching (provided the coach's have the proper system in place) and focus on playing defense. To go on a great winning streak, it generally needs to come from good team defense. In the Preds 20-9-5-1 run, Vokoun was a monster. Can the Jackets repeat that?

I think the playoffs are undoubtedly out of the question. They are going to have to double the Preds run (i.e. be around 15-20 games or so above .500 from here on out) in order to do that. A record like 30-10 just isn't going to happen anytime soon from this club or almost any club for that matter. But I think they can build the foundation for a great club next year. If the jackets play well enough that GMDM doesn't get an itchy trigger finger and fire off a few transactions that shakeup team chemistry for the worse, I think they'll be in good shape to land a solid UFA or two and make a run at the playoffs next year. A lot of good things have to happen for CBJ to make this all work, but it happened for the Preds.

Old
01-12-2006, 06:34 PM
DougKnowsBest

Quote:
Originally Posted by donniedarko
It looks like hes saying, "hey it's not my fault."

Bush?

ted kennedy at chapaquita (sp?)

Old
01-12-2006, 07:47 PM
dru
Jarmo Unchained

Send a message via AIM to dru
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyClause
I think there are some parallels and some distinct differences. The Preds were never in as rough as shape as CBJ is in this season. The worst the Preds were under .500 was around 8-9 games. They hovered at that point for around a month or two. Secondly, the Preds started their turnaround in late November hitting 8 games below and really playing .500 hockey until early february when they made their run finally peaking at 2 games above in mid-March.

The Jackets are getting on board very late in the season from a much deeper hole. Before their most recent spurt, they were 16 games under. And they haven't actually hit any sort of stride until now.

And the Jackets resurgence has been driven by the return of Nash and the play of Feds and co. The Preds rise occurred in large part because of Vokoun. He had a monster year and pushed the Preds a lot farther than Dunham ever had.

While the Jackets lack anywhere near the quality of goaltending that Vokoun displayed, they have considerably more offense. The question is whether or not the Jackets can sustain this level of play without seeing great goaltending (during the hotstreak, the GAA is still around 3 flat). I think the Jackets can keep this momentum going because I think Denis can play well if he gets help. The more the Jackets score, the more the D can relax and not worrying about pinching (provided the coach's have the proper system in place) and focus on playing defense. To go on a great winning streak, it generally needs to come from good team defense. In the Preds 20-9-5-1 run, Vokoun was a monster. Can the Jackets repeat that?

I think the playoffs are undoubtedly out of the question. They are going to have to double the Preds run (i.e. be around 15-20 games or so above .500 from here on out) in order to do that. A record like 30-10 just isn't going to happen anytime soon from this club or almost any club for that matter. But I think they can build the foundation for a great club next year. If the jackets play well enough that GMDM doesn't get an itchy trigger finger and fire off a few transactions that shakeup team chemistry for the worse, I think they'll be in good shape to land a solid UFA or two and make a run at the playoffs next year. A lot of good things have to happen for CBJ to make this all work, but it happened for the Preds.
Great post, I think you're right on.

Closed Thread