HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

Prospal Signs 1-Year Extension

Old
02-08-2012, 03:47 PM
ZachACA

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphafox View Post
In the video interview he talks about how the team is much better than their record and will be better next year, this seems to indicate that not much is being going to be done (Holy reading things into an interview Batman!),but it does bring up an interesting question. Where is the room for the forwards? Anybody else feel like this means that at least one of Vermett, Umby, or Brass is on their way out?

Our lines would be something like...(assuming we draft Yakupov and keep Nash/Carter)

Nash Brass XXXX
Yakupov Carter Prospal?
Umberger Johan XXXX?

That leaves two spots for Umby, Vermette, Letestu, Atkinson (assuming he continues to progress as he is now.)
Nash Brass Atkinson
Yakupov Carter Prospal
Umberger RyJo Vermette
Mackenzie Letestu Dorsett

Eh, not bad, but I think either Umby or Vermette gets traded (Brass is proving he's got chemistry with Nash, so I hope he stays).

ZachACA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 03:47 PM
ClevelandJacketFan
Awesome Mascots!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulvorn View Post
I don't disagree, but I guess I'm still a bit optimistic that if we get someone solid in net and add something positive on defense, that this team would at least have a chance at being decent next year.
Here is the problem with that:

There is no way you get those things without trading someone. We don't have the money to sign anyone, since we are already so close to the cap.

It's a great idea to think that a few adjustments and this team would be here. Unfortunately, bad re-signing and underachieving is going to be the downfall of this core. I just hope Howson has the balls to blow it up and admit defeat with the Nash era.

ClevelandJacketFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 03:49 PM
FANonymous

Husleius and Pahlsson's contracts are up at the end of this year and we have a hefty amount tied up int those 2...

FANonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 03:53 PM
Gulvorn

Well we do have about 10M coming off the books with Huseilus, Pahlsson, and Martinek leaving. We also have a ton of defenders currently listed. Also if we can get rid of Mason's 2.9...Then that leaves 10-13M to spend on 2 goalies, a defender, and a forward (I'm assuming they will try to find a top 6 F for a discount like Prospal again). I'm also assuming they aren't going to do some kind of salary dump at the trade deadline, which is possible.

Gulvorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 03:56 PM
KallioWeHardlyKnewYe
Blue Jacket's Curse

Quote:
Well we do have about 10M coming off the books with Huseilus, Pahlsson, and Martinek leaving. We also have a ton of defenders currently listed. Also if we can get rid of Mason's 2.9...Then that leaves 10-13M to spend on 2 goalies, a defender, and a forward (I'm assuming they will try to find a top 6 F for a discount like Prospal again). I'm also assuming they aren't going to do some kind of salary dump at the trade deadline, which is possible.
Man, I totally forgot Martinek was on this team.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 03:57 PM
ClevelandJacketFan
Awesome Mascots!

Quote:
And with that 10-13 M, you need a starting goalie, a backup goalie, a #1 defenseman, a #2 defenseman, and another top 6 forward.

I don't think that's realistic. The goalies alone should cost us around 6-8 million. Edit: Assuming we cannot fleece a team out of giving us a team friendly, under contract young starting goalie.

Old
02-08-2012, 04:13 PM
FANonymous

What's Sanford's contract at right now? That amount would also come off the books if we don't resign him, but he could probably be had fairly cheap as our backup goalie once again. He's played very solid for a terrible team.

Edit: Dekanich's contract will be up as well. If we don't resign him that's more money coming off the books for our signing spree.

Old
02-08-2012, 04:14 PM
QTMcWhiskers
Playoff Avatar Stays

Quote:
Originally Posted by KallioWeHardlyKnewYe View Post
Man, I totally forgot Martinek was on this team.
Considering the concussion issues, so did Martinek.

QTMcWhiskers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 04:18 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClevelandJacketFan View Post
And with that 10-13 M, you need a starting goalie, a backup goalie, a #1 defenseman, a #2 defenseman, and another top 6 forward.

I don't think that's realistic. The goalies alone should cost us around 6-8 million. Edit: Assuming we cannot fleece a team out of giving us a team friendly, under contract young starting goalie.
We already have a #2D in Wisniewski (or Tyutin, take your pick, altho I think he'd play second pairing with Nikitin). And I don't see the rush to get an additional top-6 forward. And I imagine Sanford would resign at a reasonable amount to stay as the backup.

On a total side note, I wonder if Montreal is still interested in Methot. I know we need more defensive D rather than less, but I'm no longer entirely convinced he's shutting down anyone or anything with any regularity. For that amount of cash, I'd rather pull in a spare vet who can do some mentoring. Y'know, like what Martinek was supposed to be doing.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 04:19 PM
FANonymous

Quote:
Originally Posted by QTMcWhiskers View Post
Considering the concussion issues, so did Martinek.

Old
02-08-2012, 04:27 PM
MrDarkBlueJacket

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1857 Howitzer View Post
“@Aportzline: #CBJ RW Vinny Prospal: "We’re going to be a lot better than we are now. If I didn’t believe that then there is no point in signing."”
Ladies and gentlemen, I think that the CBJ may have a plan forward...and Prospal was the first part of it.

Now I make no claims that I will like the plan in its entirety, but re-signing Prospal is a good start.

MrDarkBlueJacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 04:44 PM
CBJSprague24
"Scoreboard, son."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbus Mike View Post
Speaking of this (kinda), wasn't there a story or thread a few weeks ago about how someone, maybe Vinny, bought all of his shirts from the gift store?
That was me after the most recent Nashville home game. I had already bought one, but was perusing through the store and noticed that the numerically organized shirts went from Wiz to Pahlsson. Upon asking one clerk if they'd run out because he was somewhat popular, he told me that "He (Vinny) was in earlier today and bought all the shirts we had left."

I figured I was watching his last game.

CBJSprague24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 05:27 PM
EspenK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
Oh, yeah. I'm so depressed that the neighbors were asking me "good lord, what was that noise? Sounded like some sort of shout of jubilation or something."

There's also UFA defensemen, but, basically, yeah. When there's guys who are genuinely leading by example - and getting tangible results out of other players by doing so - then you should keep 'em around.
As Blah would say "Please state at least one concrete example of the Blue jackets getting tangible results out of other players because of Prospal's leadership"

EspenK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 05:47 PM
Cyclones Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDarkBlueJacket View Post
Ladies and gentlemen, I think that the CBJ may have a plan forward...and Prospal was the first part of it.

Now I make no claims that I will like the plan in its entirety, but re-signing Prospal is a good start.

This. Combined with Patrick references make sense.

The culture of losing has to be broken and perhaps Prospal is a big factor toward that end behind the scenes. It's very difficult for any outsider to gauge how personalities impact the goings on behind the scenes, but I feel pretty comfortable in assuming that Prospal must have made a positive impression upon Patrick.

Often times, young teams look for a past-his-prime veteran presence to lead teams to greater things. Dave Andreychuk filled that role for Tampa Bay in 2003-04. I'm not by any means saying this team is anywhere near Cup Capable, but in Columbus playoff capable is about as important at this point in the franchise's time line.

In today's market, $2.5 million isn't much for a proven winner and someone who is second on one's team in scoring.

In fact, based on that last fact, this has to be all Patrick's doing. Howson seems to gravitate more toward Umberger value in terms of signings.

Cyclones Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 05:48 PM
KallioWeHardlyKnewYe
Blue Jacket's Curse

Quote:
Originally Posted by EspenK View Post
As Blah would say "Please state at least one concrete example of the Blue jackets getting tangible results out of other players because of Prospal's leadership"
No one can because you're trying to define the intagible with something tangible, which by definition would make intangibles tangible.

I get what you're driving at and I'm even a little sympathetic. I too grow tired of too much talk about amorphous romantic sports concepts like identity and intagibles.

That said, Prospal seems universally liked and respected and has enough game left to contribute (tangibley). If the price isn't holding you back from other moves, then I don't see much downside to this decision.

He certainly will contribute more near term than a theoretical draft pick.

Old
02-08-2012, 06:03 PM
Double-Shift Lassé
Just post better

Quote:
No one can because you're trying to define the intagible with something tangible, which by definition would make intangibles tangible.
How have you been, Rummy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClevelandJacketFan View Post
Here is the problem with that:

There is no way you get those things without trading someone. We don't have the money to sign anyone, since we are already so close to the cap.

It's a great idea to think that a few adjustments and this team would be here. Unfortunately, bad re-signing and underachieving is going to be the downfall of this core. I just hope Howson has the balls to blow it up and admit defeat with the Nash era.
So maybe they're trading someone(s). Trying to figure out how signing Vinny precludes trading anyone except Vinny. It could be argued it makes one of Nash, Umberger, Vermette more expendable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDarkBlueJacket View Post

Hmm.

Old
02-08-2012, 06:06 PM
BluejacketNut

Vinny saved Howson some embarrassment by not having to trade him for someone who's contract was expiring who wouldnt be on the team next season anyway

BluejacketNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 06:08 PM
Gagnefan924
Need Moar AmericanZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Shift Lassé View Post

So maybe they're trading someone(s). Trying to figure out how signing Vinny precludes trading anyone except Vinny. It could be argued it makes one of Nash, Umberger, Vermette more expendable.
Or Carter is getting traded. Don't want him to but I find it probable with Porty constantly saying hes gone. Why would he stick his head out if it's not gonna happen?

Gagnefan924 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 06:11 PM
Double-Shift Lassé
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gagnefan924 View Post
Or Carter is getting traded. Don't want him to but I find it probable with Porty constantly saying hes gone. Why would he stick his head out if it's not gonna happen?
Yes. Add his name to the list. Could be more than one of 'em.

But I've gone off-topic.

Double-Shift Lassé is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 06:29 PM
squarelaces

Too slow

squarelaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 07:10 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:

I get what you're driving at and I'm even a little sympathetic. I too grow tired of too much talk about amorphous romantic sports concepts like identity and intagibles.

That said, Prospal seems universally liked and respected and has enough game left to contribute (tangibley). If the price isn't holding you back from other moves, then I don't see much downside to this decision.

He certainly will contribute more near term than a theoretical draft pick.
His signing is tangible...., and a good one..

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 07:15 PM
ClevelandJacketFan
Awesome Mascots!

Quote:
I agree, but it also could mean that they want another shot with this same core next year, with "minor" changes.

I hope that Howson hasn't decided that minor tweaks is the way to go. This team is fundamentally flawed, no point in trying to fix it with minor tweaks.

Old
02-08-2012, 07:22 PM
davidbklyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by EspenK View Post
I think Dorsett (A) counts

davidbklyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 07:44 PM
umbyforpresident

1. Love Vinny, love what he is doing for this team. Yes, he is doing this as a measure of consideration for his family. But clearly he could have a few more chances then just Columbus in terms of a place to raise a family in relative comfort. He chose our city instead.

2. I hope this is just the beginning of the "changes" and not just the precursor to more madness. Howson, IMO, did good with this one. Whether Patrick's stamp is on it or not, we don't really know. I can say that Howson got this right.

3. This isn't the end all be all, this isn't going to turn this team around. But it's nice to see players who are truly consummate (sp) pros really get rewarded. There need to be more moves to really satisfy me as a STH, but I like this move enough to give it a shot toward the "greater plan." You have my interest Scott. Don't lose it.

umbyforpresident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 07:56 PM
KallioWeHardlyKnewYe
Blue Jacket's Curse

Quote:
How have you been, Rummy?
As we know, there are known knowns; there are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns; that is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns -- the ones we don't know we don't know.

Have truer words about the Blue Jackets ever been spoken?