HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Notices

All-Purpose Trade Rumors and Speculation Thread Part III

Closed Thread

Old
02-08-2012, 02:40 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilligans Island View Post
I still like Marleau on the 2nd line - seems to have great chemistry with Couture and having him with Jumbo is a waste until Jumbo shows he won't key on passing to Pavs only. Otherwise, I like that lineup.

As far as options, here's my updated list (sorted alphabetically).
It's a mix of tweeners and a few 2nd liners. I think most of these players can be had and are from likely sellers. I have no idea what it would take to acquire any of these players.

Bailey Yes. I personally love the kid. At very worst he'd be a superior defensively dominant #3C that can play top-6 if needed, and at best he turns into a nice two-way #2C. Since NYI has Tavares, Strome, Nielsen, Cizikas, and other prospects down the middle, I could see Bailey becoming expendable.
Brodziak There is certainly precedent, since Fletcher an DW are BFFLs, and I really like what he brings to the ice. Another agree for me.
Cogliano No way. Bad contract, on the Ducks, basically a slightly better Torrey Mitchell. Pass
D. Jones I don't really know what to think about Jones. I know he scored 27 goals last season, but every time I watch the Avs I try to look for him but I never notice him. He has tremendous chemistry with Stastny, so I wonder how well he'd do without him, especially if he had to play with Handzus.
Downie I'd love the kid. He'll be an RFA after this season but I think we'd have the space to reasonably fit him in. Definitely a pest, but young and with good offense. He was the driving force of the best 3rd line of the playoffs last season.
Galiardi This guy is the ultimate utility player. I would be over the moon if we could get him without giving up too much. Good defensively, capable offensively, basically plays to the team needs. A good target should the Avs fall out.
Kostystin Despite the Russian stereotype, AK is very physical and he's the Kostitsyn without the attitude problem. He gets next to no PP time on the Habs and plays with Moen and Eller, yet has still put up good numbers. I'd take him for a 2nd, not more.
Moss (only if he shows he's healthy) Sure. But I doubt he'll be healthy. Great worth on his contract.
Pahlsson We really don't need another Zeus. Major Pass.
Purcell Good energy kid, quality tweener, decent contract. I'd like him.
R. Jones He's a good PKer and a solid third liner, but that really isn't our need anymore. I'd take him if he came cheap.
Ruutu Only if we don't overpay. Remember, DW said he was done wasting assets on pure rentals.
Umberger (ugly cap hit but legit top 6 fwd) Ugly cap hit barely scratches the surface. Yuck. I like his play, but not the $$$ I doubt we'd be able to fit him next season.
Vermette Again, brutal cap hit. Otherwise I'd take him.
Winnik Stud defensively. If we wanted to try and go more defensive on the 3rd line, we could go after him, but I can't imagine that very well. I trust DW to make a good decision.
Opinions in bold. Good list on the whole.

Old
02-08-2012, 03:54 PM
Barrie22
Shark fan in hiding

vCash: 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
If Nielsen were aware that Snow was going to trade him, he'd be better off just to wait for free agency. If he wasn't, Snow whom already has problems luring FA's and re-signing his own players is hosed.

The only way it makes sense is if Nielsen is aware, and the only reason I could come up with for him to do that is if he is in fear of a lockout next season (and since he would have no contract, losing a years pay). If players are really in that much fear of a lockout, I'm seriously worried for this league.
why would he be worried about a lockout, while at the same time losing out on a years pay?

if there is that big of a threat of a lockout coming, it doesn't matter if a player is being paid 40 million a year for the next 20 years, if there is a lockout that player doesn't get paid.

Old
02-08-2012, 04:03 PM
SJeasy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie22 View Post
why would he be worried about a lockout, while at the same time losing out on a years pay?

if there is that big of a threat of a lockout coming, it doesn't matter if a player is being paid 40 million a year for the next 20 years, if there is a lockout that player doesn't get paid.
Not all players will lose a year's pay.

It matters if there are signing bonuses involved. Capgeek does not show them for Nielsen. But, a lot of players will feel a lot more comfortable about a lockout if they get a pre-lockout bonus check of $500k or more.

Old
02-08-2012, 04:07 PM
Kevin27nyi
Global Moderator
Captain Tavares

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inub0i View Post
Yes Please!
Kevin27NYI, what will it take?
Grabner is not playing well this year, definitely lost some confidence. I'd move him for a number 3 dman, don't know if many teams want that though, a good D is hard to get and not many teams are trading dmen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TehJuxtaposer View Post
I want Bailey.
In all seriousness, Bailey is good. A good quote from an Islander fan on another board was, "Million dollar hands, 1 dollar production." because even in the last game vs the Flyers he had 2-3 chances and just couldn't get results. I have no doubt that he will flourish somewhere else because he fits the change of scenery situation to a tee. Isles need results now/next year and if Bailey isn't producing then he needs to go.

Old
02-08-2012, 04:08 PM
WTFetus

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJeasy View Post
Not all players will lose a year's pay.
If there is a lock-out for a year, do existing contracts get extended for that year? Like Thornton's contract wouldn't end 2 years from now, but 3?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie22 View Post
If yes to my previous question, it does matter if a player has a contract or not.

Old
02-08-2012, 04:16 PM
kdb209
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFetus View Post
If there is a lock-out for a year, do existing contracts get extended for that year? Like Thornton's contract wouldn't end 2 years from now, but 3?
It's whatever the NHL & NHLPA agree to in the new CBA.

During the last lockout (under the terms of the transition rules in Exhibit 16 of the CBA) all SPCs - with the exception of some ELS ones which slid - burned a year (ie they were NOT extended).

Old
02-08-2012, 04:25 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin27NYI View Post
In all seriousness, Bailey is good. A good quote from an Islander fan on another board was, "Million dollar hands, 1 dollar production." because even in the last game vs the Flyers he had 2-3 chances and just couldn't get results. I have no doubt that he will flourish somewhere else because he fits the change of scenery situation to a tee. Isles need results now/next year and if Bailey isn't producing then he needs to go.
No kiddin'. I watch lots of Isles games (for Nabby, of course ) and I love what I see from the kid. I really think he needs a change of scenery and more of a veteren role model presence. All the Isles forwards that are better than Bailey are around his own age, and I think he could benefit from being around some vets, like Thornton, Marleau, Clowe, etc. Actually, I think Pavelski might be a good teacher for Bailey. The Isles also are a good offensive team. I would not be surprised if, even if it isn't the Sharks, Bailey were dangled for some D-help. With Tavares, Nielsen, and all your C kids in the system, he becomes a bit redundant.

Old
02-08-2012, 04:26 PM
WTFetus

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdb209 View Post
It's whatever the NHL & NHLPA agree to in the new CBA.

During the last lockout (under the terms of the transition rules in Exhibit 16 of the CBA) all SPCs - with the exception of some ELS ones which slid - burned a year (ie they were NOT extended).
Makes sense. Thanks.

Old
02-08-2012, 04:27 PM
McLovin25
Eberle=Clutch

what about downie and malone? put malone with jumbo and pavs, downie with zeus and mcginn. havlat will be back for a few games, then reinjure himself

malone-jumbo-pavs
clowe-couture-marleau
mcginn/havlat-zeus-downie
mccarthy/mcginn-desjardins-winchester

excellent playoff team.

id imagine the price would be for both something like sateri+wingels+1st

id do that

Old
02-08-2012, 04:28 PM
WTFetus

Don't want Malone's contract.

Old
02-08-2012, 04:28 PM
hockeyball

It might feel 'safer' for some players to have a contract going into the lockout with all the unknowns. If no season is played, if a partial season is played, if the rules chance in the teams favors (and not the players) etc. Being under contract may be advantageous, or at least some players may feel so. I'm not saying Nielsen is doing so, just saying its the one situation where I could see a player resigning with a team he'd rather move on from.

Old
02-08-2012, 04:44 PM
Gilligans Island

I'm a fan of trading D. Murray for a good young forward like Bailey (or Grabner) and then back-filling with a vet UFA dman like Gill or Kubina for the playoffs.

Then, sign Stuart in the offseason. I don't think the dropff off from Murray to Gill or Kubina for the playoffs would be too much and he's the only decent asset we have on the roster.

Old
02-08-2012, 04:45 PM
hockeyball

Quote:
I'm a fan of trading D. Murray for a good young forward like Bailey (or Grabner) and then back-filling with a vet UFA dman like Gill or Kubina for the playoffs.

Then, sign Stuart in the offseason. I don't think the dropff off from Murray to Gill or Kubina for the playoffs would be too much and he's the only decent asset we have on the roster.
I would also be fine with this. Prefer Bailey, for some reason I think he's going to be teh better player.

Hell send us both

Old
02-08-2012, 04:55 PM
Stickmata

Are we back on the Downie stupidity again?

If Steve Downie is the cure to what ails us, we're a lot sicker than we appear.

Old
02-08-2012, 04:57 PM
Les Wynan*

Bailey has been terrible this season. Do people just like him because he was drafted in the first round? Maybe we should get Cam Barker and Kyle Beach while we're at it...

Old
02-08-2012, 05:01 PM
stalockrox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Wynan View Post
Bailey has been terrible this season. Do people just like him because he was drafted in the first round? Maybe we should get Cam Barker and Kyle Beach while we're at it...
I agree, not at all interested in Bailey for anything more than a (#55 or later) draft pick. I've watched the Islanders a lot and you can see he has talent and upside, but he's been pretty bad this year.

A trade for Bailey would also be looking towards next year way more than this season.

Old
02-08-2012, 05:12 PM
dkollidas

Any interest in Roy, Pominville, or Stafford? What would you offer? Just curious as I see that you guys look to be searching for forward depth. Thanks

Old
02-08-2012, 05:28 PM
hockeyball

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkollidas View Post
Any interest in Roy, Pominville, or Stafford? What would you offer? Just curious as I see that you guys look to be searching for forward depth. Thanks
Really do not want anything to do with any of the contracts on the Sabres. Can't afford Pominville, Stafford and Roy are not good fits and overpaid.

Old
02-08-2012, 05:36 PM
dkollidas

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
Really do not want anything to do with any of the contracts on the Sabres. Can't afford Pominville, Stafford and Roy are not good fits and overpaid.
Maybe Stafford's overpaid, but Roy makes $4m/yr and is basically a ppg center besides this season, in which he's returning from a nearly season-long injury last year.

Old
02-08-2012, 05:41 PM
Gilligans Island

Quote:
Maybe Stafford's overpaid, but Roy makes $4m/yr and is basically a ppg center besides this season, in which he's returning from a nearly season-long injury last year.
Yeah, I wouldn't say Roy's overpaid but we don't need a 2C. We could use Stafford but not with his contract.

Old
02-08-2012, 05:43 PM
SJeasy

Quote:
Roy would be a 3rd line center at best for the Sharks; he wouldn't be PPG for the Sharks and would be overpaid and possibly unhappy with the task. The only guy that partially fits the Sharks needs in play is Pominville. His contract is steep and he is only a partial fit as well, not quite the all out skilled forechecker that the Sharks need. He does have speed.

Old
02-08-2012, 05:43 PM
Kevin27nyi
Global Moderator
Captain Tavares

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by TehJuxtaposer View Post
No kiddin'. I watch lots of Isles games (for Nabby, of course ) and I love what I see from the kid. I really think he needs a change of scenery and more of a veteren role model presence. All the Isles forwards that are better than Bailey are around his own age, and I think he could benefit from being around some vets, like Thornton, Marleau, Clowe, etc. Actually, I think Pavelski might be a good teacher for Bailey. The Isles also are a good offensive team. I would not be surprised if, even if it isn't the Sharks, Bailey were dangled for some D-help. With Tavares, Nielsen, and all your C kids in the system, he becomes a bit redundant.
Agreed
Quote:

If it's Grabner the price goes up but I'd be very interested in a Bailey-Murray deal. Isles have a few prospects that can fill in the immediate role to replace Bailey short and long term and Murray would be a huge help on D.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Wynan View Post
Disagree. Guy just isn't getting results/production but is playing very well. Isles need the results he isn't providing and Sharks can get the production out of him.

Old
02-08-2012, 05:45 PM
Gilligans Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin27NYI View Post
If it's Grabner the price goes up but I'd be very interested in a Bailey-Murray deal. Isles have a few prospects that can fill in the immediate role to replace Bailey short and long term and Murray would be a huge help on D.
What's Grabner's asking price?

Old
02-08-2012, 05:53 PM
Splitbtw
Rebuild? Refresh?

Quote:

If it's to the point where we have to move a roster piece to get the player we need (which it pretty much is at), this is also the method I would prefer. Nothing against Murray but it seems like it is easier to get enough of a replacement for him in order to get an upgrade for the forward corp.

Old
02-08-2012, 05:57 PM
hockeyball

Getting both would be great for our long term needs, since we lack forward prospects.

To NYI:
Murray + Wingels + 2nd

To SJ:
Bailey + Grabner

Something like that? Could also offer Irwin/Doherty if you want another D prospect instead of an NHL ready forward.

Sharks would have a ton of options line up wise then, but something like:

Marleau - Thornton - Pavelski
Clowe - Couture - Havlat
McGinn - Bailey - Grabner
Winchester - Handzus - Desjardins

Makes room for Stuart next season, and in the mean time we can rent Gill or something to replace Murray.

Closed Thread