HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Semin proposals

Old
02-08-2012, 11:24 AM
Congo Jack
Good Moleman to you.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeyguru93 View Post
I think that Colorado should throw in Quincey and Washington should throw in Holtby so the deal would look like..

Colorado gets:
Semin
Holtby
2012 1st round (Washington's)
2012 conditional 2nd( if Semin resigns)

Washington gets:
Statsny
Quincey
2013 3rd round pick
We're good on goalies now maybe a defenseman or prospect instead?

Congo Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 12:23 PM
hawkeyguru93

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverAv View Post
We're good on goalies now maybe a defenseman or prospect instead?
Yea a prospect would be fine as well but I'm not too sure how good of a prospect pool the Caps have. I just figured that adding goalie depth for when Giguere leaves could be a good thing to do. Holtby is definitley NHL ready and could give Varlamov a push for the starting job down the road. Also, this move could make Jiggy expendable if the Avs fall out of contention for the playoffs by the time playoffs come around.

hawkeyguru93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 01:12 PM
FrankM73

Quote:
Originally Posted by CB Joe View Post
24 games doesn't really reflect Stastny's change since he was still playing was scrubs at that time. I think a better reflection would be his play since the beginning of the new year.

Stastny
15GP: 2G, 11A, 13P, +1, 1PPA, 4PPA, 8PIM, 9Hits, 36S, 5.6%

Semin
15GP: 3G, 8A, 11P, +8, 0PPG, 3PPA, 6PIM, 4Hits, 23S, 13.0%

Conclusion: Perhaps Semin isn't outperforming Stastny as much as you want to believe. Perhaps Semin isn't even out preforming Stastny.

Edit: For further comparison.

This season's pace:

Stastny: 79GP, 19G, 31A, 50P, 0.633P/G.
Semin : 77GP, 20G, 28A, 48P, 0.624P/G.

Career:
Stastny: 400GP, 118G, 237A, 355P, 0.886P/G.
Semin: 441GP, 189G, 196A, 385P, 0.873P/G.
I can understand you wanting to change Stastny's sample to reflect his better play, but why change Semin's since Semin's better play was the entire 22 game set??

if you take your knowledge and watching of Stastny and mine watching of Semin then we have this:

Stastny's hot streak:
15GP: 2G, 11A, 13P, +1, 1PPG, 4PPA, 8PIM, 9Hits, 36S, 5.6%
season's pace:
82GP, 11G, 60A, 71Pts, +6, 5PPA, 22PPA, 44PIM, 49Hits, 197S, 5.6%

Semin's hot streak:
24GP: 5GP, 14A, 19Pts, +1, 2PPG, 4PPA, 10PIM, 14Hits, 59SOG, 8.5%
Season's pace:
82GP, 30G, 45A, 75Pts, +52, 0PPG, 11PPA, 82PIM, 33Hits, 156SOG, 19.0%

realistically, the +52 wouldn't continue but Semin is playing well... and Stastny is apparently an Assist machine lately...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bure View Post
Semin's has been playing with scrubs most of his career.
correct!

and the year he had a real #2 center was 08/09 with Sergei Fedorov (52GP, 11G, 22A, 33Pts with the caps)

and semin had 62GP, 34G, 45A, 79Pts...

still, I will take my 30G scorer (versus Stastny who is doing it with the likes of Matty Perreault and Marcus Johansson.... NOT bonafide #1 or even #2 Centers...

FrankM73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 01:15 PM
Brave Sir Robin

Quote:
24 games doesn't really reflect Stastny's change since he was still playing was scrubs at that time. I think a better reflection would be his play since the beginning of the new year.

Stastny
15GP: 2G, 11A, 13P, +1, 1PPA, 4PPA, 8PIM, 9Hits, 36S, 5.6%

Semin
15GP: 3G, 8A, 11P, +8, 0PPG, 3PPA, 6PIM, 4Hits, 23S, 13.0%

Conclusion: Perhaps Semin isn't outperforming Stastny as much as you want to believe. Perhaps Semin isn't even out preforming Stastny.

Edit: For further comparison.

This season's pace:

Stastny: 79GP, 19G, 31A, 50P, 0.633P/G.
Semin : 77GP, 20G, 28A, 48P, 0.624P/G.

Career:
Stastny: 400GP, 118G, 237A, 355P, 0.886P/G.
Semin: 441GP, 189G, 196A, 385P, 0.873P/G.
Why start at the beginning of this year? It seems like an arbitrary point in the season handpicked by you. If you're going to compare their performances, either take the whole season, or start after Dale Hunter took over Caps.

It's also funny that you want to bring carrier numbers into it. Over his carrier Stastny:

- has never broken 80 pts
- has never scored 30 goals
- is at 0.53 PPG in the playoffs

Last season Semin was constantly berated by Caps fans for his slumps and injuries. And yet he still managed to equal Stastny's carrier high in goals. It took him only 65 games while playing 2nd line minutes to do it.

Having said that, neither player has been worth their cap hit this season. The difference is that Semin's deal ends this year, and he will likely get less money next season. Stastny stays at 6.6mil for 2 more years. This may not be a burden for Colorado, but it sure will be for Washington.

The bottom line is Stastny's contract is out of our price range. And we're sure as hell not giving away Holby and a 1st to get him.

Brave Sir Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 01:29 PM
Stories
Hockey scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Sir Robin View Post
Why start at the beginning of this year? It seems like an arbitrary point in the season handpicked by you. If you're going to compare their performances, either take the whole season, or start after Dale Hunter took over Caps.

It's also funny that you want to bring carrier numbers into it. Over his carrier Stastny:

Last season Semin was constantly berated by Caps fans for his slumps and injuries. And yet he still managed to equal Stastny's carrier high in goals. It took him only 65 games while playing 2nd line minutes to do it.

Having said that, neither player has been worth their cap hit this season. The difference is that Semin's deal ends this year, and he will likely get less money next season. Stastny stays at 6.6mil for 2 more years. This may not be a burden for Colorado, but it sure will be for Washington.

The bottom line is Stastny's contract is out of our price range. And we're sure as hell not giving away Holby and a 1st to get him.
Stop trying to make Stastny look like a bad player.

Stastny is a playmaker. He probably will never score 30 goals. He puts up a near 1G:2A ratio. His current season split of 13g/21a is very uncharacteristic of him. I reflects the team's inability to put in goals, period. If he ever gets 30 goals, it would be a super bonus because that means he probably put in 60+ assists and plays with two other very good linemates.

He's had two very good seasons of 78 and 79 points. He's a good player. Anyone would agree with that. He should have had a 80+ point season in 2008 but was sidelined for 15 games due to an appendectomy (had 71 points that season).

He's also only played in three playoff series (15 games). And 4 of those games came in his second season when the Avalanche got swept (handily) by the Red Wings when the entire team wasn't doing anything right. Not exactly a large sample, right?

Stories is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 01:59 PM
Brave Sir Robin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stories View Post
Stop trying to make Stastny look like a bad player.

Stastny is a playmaker. He probably will never score 30 goals. He puts up a near 1G:2A ratio. His current season split of 13g/21a is very uncharacteristic of him. I reflects the team's inability to put in goals, period. If he ever gets 30 goals, it would be a super bonus because that means he probably put in 60+ assists and plays with two other very good linemates.

He's had two very good seasons of 78 and 79 points. He's a good player. Anyone would agree with that. He should have had a 80+ point season in 2008 but was sidelined for 15 games due to an appendectomy (had 71 points that season).

He's also only played in three playoff series (15 games). And 4 of those games came in his second season when the Avalanche got swept (handily) by the Red Wings when the entire team wasn't doing anything right. Not exactly a large sample, right?
It's not my intention to make Stastny look bad. He's a good player with a bad contact. However, in my opinion Semin is a better player, and given the choice between them I would chose Semin.

Old
02-08-2012, 02:54 PM
CB Joe

vCash: 544
Quote:
I picked that period because it covered both Stastny's and Semin's change in play.

Quote:

I'm not surprised Stastny doesn't have a 30 goal season, he's a playmaker. As for last season they both produced at nearly the same rate, however one is on a team suppose to be contending for the cup, the other is a team in the middle of a rebuild.

Quote:
I'm not sure what makes you think Semin is going to less money next season. He is going to be unrestricted and if the Caps can't afford to give him a raise I'm willing to bet another team will.

CB Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 03:12 PM
Raikkonen
In GMBT we trust

Johansson+ for Stastny?

Raikkonen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 04:33 PM
Lonewolfe2015

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raikkonen View Post
Johansson+ for Stastny?
To be quite honest, as much as I like Johansson... the only thing I'd be moving Stastny for is both of those 2012 1sts and sending our 2nd back.

Caps probably scoff at that, considering his price and their current bad contracts. But he's worth that much to us when he's on his game.

Lonewolfe2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 04:38 PM
Crisp Breakout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolfe2015 View Post
To be quite honest, as much as I like Johansson... the only thing I'd be moving Stastny for is both of those 2012 1sts and sending our 2nd back.

Caps probably scoff at that, considering his price and their current bad contracts. But he's worth that much to us when he's on his game.
agreed on the picks. In short, I want nothing to do with Semin.

I want us to pick up AK to play with stastny. Much cheaper.

Crisp Breakout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 04:41 PM
Brave Sir Robin

Quote:
I picked that period because it covered both Stastny's and Semin's change in play.
Sorry, but 15 games isn't a big enough sample to evaluate a player's season. I could find a 15 game sample this season where Semin was a PPG player. Let's see if Stastny can maintain this streak till the trade deadline.
Quote:
I'm not surprised Stastny doesn't have a 30 goal season, he's a playmaker. As for last season they both produced at nearly the same rate, however one is on a team suppose to be contending for the cup, the other is a team in the middle of a rebuild.
For the record, last season Avs scored 2 more goals than the Caps. The fact that Stastny is a playmaker rather than a goal scorer hardly makes things better for WAS. With Semin gone, who is he going to feed on the 2nd line? Johansson? Chimera? Knuble is done, and there are no other 20 goal scorers among our wingers. On the other hand, Stastny is outscoring our current 2nd line center Johansson by a whopping 4 points.
Quote:
I'm not sure what makes you think Semin is going to less money next season. He is going to be unrestricted and if the Caps can't afford to give him a raise I'm willing to bet another team will.
Semin is coming off two subpar seasons. With all the issues he had in the past, do you really think teams will be lining up to give him 7mil deals?

Old
02-08-2012, 04:42 PM
Congo Jack
Good Moleman to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisp Breakout View Post
agreed on the picks. In short, I want nothing to do with Semin.

I want us to pick up AK to play with stastny. Much cheaper.
I heard AK wants to stay in Montreal so that may not happen.

Congo Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 05:05 PM
Razor29
The Ultimate Tank

Quote:
It's not my intention to make Stastny look bad. He's a good player with a bad contact. However, in my opinion Semin is a better player, and given the choice between them I would chose Semin.
You keep your one dimensional winger and we'll keep our playmaking center who can play defense.

Razor29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 05:24 PM
CB Joe

Quote:
Sorry, but 15 games isn't a big enough sample to evaluate a player's season. I could find a 15 game sample this season where Semin was a PPG player. Let's see if Stastny can maintain this streak till the trade deadline.
Well I also included the entire season and their entire careers, in both cases they produce at nearly an identical rate.

Quote:
For the record, last season Avs scored 2 more goals than the Caps. The fact that Stastny is a playmaker rather than a goal scorer hardly makes things better for WAS. With Semin gone, who is he going to feed on the 2nd line? Johansson? Chimera? Knuble is done, and there are no other 20 goal scorers among our wingers. On the other hand, Stastny is outscoring our current 2nd line center Johansson by a whopping 4 points.
With Stastny gone, who is going to feed Colorado's shooters? On the other hand, Semin is only on par with our current top goal scoring winger, Hejduk. Both have 13 goals and 31 points. Semin is only out producing Landeskog, Colorao's second leading goal scoring winger, by a whopping 3 points.

Quote:
Semin is coming off two subpar seasons. With all the issues he had in the past, do you really think teams will be lining up to give him 7mil deals?
Yes, unless he signs a long term deal for 7+ seasons, I think there will be at least one team who offers him 7M or more on a short term deal.

Old
02-08-2012, 05:26 PM
Bure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Sakic View Post
You keep your one dimensional winger and we'll keep our playmaking center who can play defense.
Please the caps will gladly keep semin.

Bure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 05:34 PM
ZetterBurger

Quote:
Good then the Wings sign Semin in the offseason and offer sheet O'Reilly. Thanks!!

ZetterBurger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 05:40 PM
CB Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bure View Post
Please the caps will gladly keep semin.
Given the recent criticism of Semin, it doesn't seem like he's that interested in winning, seems like he in it for the payday. I hope the Caps will still be able to afford him. I just hope that whatever team he ends up with doesn't give him the big payout on a long term deal.

Old
02-08-2012, 05:44 PM
googanov

i dont think washington would want to give up on semin sure he hasnt panned out all that much but semin was one of their best players in the playoffs

googanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 05:47 PM
Carlzner

Quote:
Given the recent criticism of Semin, it doesn't seem like he's that interested in winning, seems like he in it for the payday. I hope the Caps will still be able to afford him. I just hope that whatever team he ends up with doesn't give him the big payout on a long term deal.
Its been quite the opposite recently.

Carlzner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 05:49 PM
Avs44
Chicago? Chicago

vCash: 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZetterBurger View Post
Good then the Wings sign Semin in the offseason and offer sheet O'Reilly. Thanks!!
You want to give up 4 1sts for O'Reilly? Well ok... you started it.

Avs44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 05:52 PM
Carlzner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs44 View Post
You want to give up 4 1sts for O'Reilly? Well ok... you started it.
You're willing to pay Ryan O'Reilly $7,835,219+...?

Carlzner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 05:56 PM
Bonzai12

Send a message via Yahoo to Bonzai12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braden Carlzner View Post
Well the Avs would certainly match anything that was around the $3M mark. So offer sheet him but you're gonna have to overpay for the team to not match. Kind of a pointless argument really. O'Reilly's not going to get an offersheet unless it's obnoxious, and with all of the cap room Colorado has it would be unwise to create a "RFA rift" with them.

Bonzai12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 06:26 PM
Avs44
Chicago? Chicago

vCash: 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braden Carlzner View Post
No I would go up to 5 though, and then Detroit would have hell to pay with their future RFA's. Honestly, offersheeting is generally viewed as a not so respectful way to go. I can't imagine Holland doing it.

Avs44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 06:37 PM
Hivemind
We're Touched

Quote:
Semin is hardly one dimensional. That just tells me you don't watch Semin.

Hivemind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 06:39 PM
Freudian
Clearly deranged

Ken Holland doesn't even trade for players. The notion that he would offer sheet anyone is absurd.

Freudian is offline   Reply With Quote