HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Why doesn't Syracuse have an Ice Hockey team?

Old
02-08-2012, 08:41 PM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

vCash: 500
Why doesn't Syracuse have an Ice Hockey team?

Just curious. You'd think an upstate New York school with cold weather would have a hockey team. Let alone it's Syracuse, very popular, big school.

They've got the basketball, they've got football, why not Hockey? Throw 'em in the HockeyEast.

Is there a reason that any of you know of? Or do they just not have one.

EDIT: I just saw on their site that they have a women's team. So they have the rink. WTF gives? Not to be sexist, but how do you have a women's team and not a men's team?

Last edited by Clowes Line: 02-08-2012 at 08:47 PM.
Clowes Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 08:46 PM
ecemleafs

programs are very expensive. for psu to go D1A or whatever its called they received nearly 90m donation from the sabres owner to build a hockey arena and finance both a mens program and womens program.

ecemleafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 08:51 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

A guy I know just played a big role in getting the women's program kicked off. They play in Tennity, which is a nice venue.

There is simply a lot of time and money involved in a division one hockey program, and with a school with such massive money loads coming out of football and basketball, the market does really not exist in such a manner that it would be instantly profitable.

Obviously, its something i'd like to come to see, but there are a couple New York NCAA hockey just a little further north that often get unfairly ignored.

02-08-2012, 08:53 PM
WeWillWinTonight

They've got a club team if I'm not mistaken.

It's all about the Benjamin's

WeWillWinTonight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 09:06 PM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

Upstate NY has a decent amount... Union, St. Lawrence, Colgate, Canisus, RPI

Stugots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 09:10 PM
NickyMaz

Does the NHL do anything to support college hockey programs? It would seem like a no-brainer since they feed the NHL with players eventually.

NickyMaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 09:10 PM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

So basically it's about money. Makes sense.

Clowes Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 09:28 PM
WeWillWinTonight

Also you got the sunyac and nescac. Not that it's div 1 but it's still good hockey and nearby. No NY teams though in nescac though I'm pretty sure.

There really is a lot of great programs around the area I see your point about Syracuse tho.

On a side note I remember playing a Syracuse stars? team in my youth days, correct me if I'm wrong.

WeWillWinTonight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 09:31 PM
ecemleafs

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeWillWinTonight View Post
Also you got the sunyac and nescac. Not that it's div 1 but it's still good hockey and nearby. No NY teams though in nescac though I'm pretty sure.

There really is a lot of great programs around the area I see your point about Syracuse tho.

On a side note I remember playing a Syracuse stars? team in my youth days, correct me if I'm wrong.
werent the syracuse stars the team ODC was associated with?

ecemleafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 10:19 PM
darrenturcotte#8

I went to Syracuse. The school has plenty of money, that's not the issue. The problem is NCAA rules about having to have an equal amount of Mens and Womans sports. So they have a club team instead. At least, that's the explanation I got 10 yrs ago...

darrenturcotte#8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 10:24 PM
BigCanada77
NYR in the Midwest

Send a message via AIM to BigCanada77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stugots View Post
Upstate NY has a decent amount... Union, St. Lawrence, Colgate, Canisus, RPI
RIT as well, the school I went to. RIT had a dominant DIII school for years and years and it took so long for them to get the backing to go D1. And they've proved decent in their first 7 years (made the frozen four two years ago out of Atlantic Hockey, not to mention they dont give scholarships because they dont have a girls D1 team on campus - shameless plug there).

I guess I'm saying if it takes years of trying for a dominant DIII school in a great area for NY hockey, I'm not surprised Cuse doesnt have one.

BigCanada77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 10:26 PM
BigCanada77
NYR in the Midwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrenturcotte#8 View Post
I went to Syracuse. The school has plenty of money, that's not the issue. The problem is NCAA rules about having to have an equal amount of Mens and Womans sports. So they have a club team instead. At least, that's the explanation I got 10 yrs ago...
Exactly. RIT has one, but they cant give scholarships for it because the womens team is still DIII.

Old
02-08-2012, 10:29 PM
MrEctions
Willy Nilly

The plan has been to get one. The womens program was basically a testing ground to see how it would fare. I, living in this area, anticipate them having a team in the next 3 years. It makes too much sense. I know the Utica College (Syracuse affiliated) head coach, Mr. Heenan, and it is definitely a matter of when and not if at this point.

And yes you guys are correect regarding the Stars. They are a feeder program, select team if you will. I have coached youth hockey in this area for many years, so I have my finger on the pulse so to say. Recruitment would be fairly easy as Upstate NY produces quite a bit of hockey talent, and most everyone loves the Orange, for basketball/football. I did hear a rumor once that years ago it was proposed that they start a team, but Boeheim was a big influence in shutting it down. Not sure if it is true, just that he didnt want to share revenue, seeint that the sports occupy the same season.

MrEctions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 10:36 PM
BigCanada77
NYR in the Midwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrEctions View Post
The plan has been to get one. The womens program was basically a testing ground to see how it would fare. I, living in this area, anticipate them having a team in the next 3 years. It makes too much sense. I know the Utica College (Syracuse affiliated) head coach, Mr. Heenan, and it is definitely a matter of when and not if at this point.

And yes you guys are correect regarding the Stars. They are a feeder program, select team if you will. I have coached youth hockey in this area for many years, so I have my finger on the pulse so to say. Recruitment would be fairly easy as Upstate NY produces quite a bit of hockey talent, and most everyone loves the Orange, for basketball/football. I did hear a rumor once that years ago it was proposed that they start a team, but Boeheim was a big influence in shutting it down. Not sure if it is true, just that he didnt want to share revenue, seeint that the sports occupy the same season.
I'm guessing DIII?

Old
02-08-2012, 10:44 PM
MrEctions
Willy Nilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCanada77 View Post
I'm guessing DIII?
Hard to say at this point. There are a lot of D3 college programs well established here, with Utica, Hamilton etc. The money is not an issue, and they already have a beautiful arena. I wouldnt be surprised to see them jump right into D1. They would take lumps in the early years for sure. I could see them maybe starting off D3 for the first couple of years, but it's really difficult to say.

Old
02-08-2012, 10:46 PM
MrEctions
Willy Nilly

I'd also like to add that imo, the jerseys would look incredible if done right.

Old
02-08-2012, 10:47 PM
BigCanada77
NYR in the Midwest

Quote:
Hard to say at this point. There are a lot of D3 college programs well established here, with Utica, Hamilton etc. The money is not an issue, and they already have a beautiful arena. I wouldnt be surprised to see them jump right into D1. They would take lumps in the early years for sure. I could see them maybe starting off D3 for the first couple of years, but it's really difficult to say.
RIT-Canisius is a great rivalry... RIT-Cuse could be just as good

Old
02-08-2012, 10:54 PM
MrEctions
Willy Nilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCanada77 View Post
RIT-Canisius is a great rivalry... RIT-Cuse could be just as good
Absolutely. Plus you have established programs like Colgate, Oswego, Cornell etc etc. It makes to much sense for them to have a team. I think for it to happen a womens team would definitely needed to be brought back in, have to be another sport. I could see swimming being brought back. Title IX (I think it is), is the reason. There has also been talk, that with Syracuse's move to the ACC, that they want to bring baseball back into the mix, since every ACC team has a program. We shall see!

Old
02-09-2012, 12:11 AM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

Syracuse alum here...there's been talk about a program going back 40 years. They have always had a club team. Syracuse has always had a problem staying within Title IX guidelines because of the number of women's sports. And while Syracuse has a very profitable basketball program, the football program hasn't been a big money maker and other sports are a real drain. While the University has plenty of money, they do not freely subsidize sports. Used to have viable baseball and wrestling programs but both were shut down because of economics and Title IX.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 12:21 AM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Yea I was gonna add Title IX but was beaten to the punch by a few.

If it is all about "scholarship opportunities" the NCAA should really disclude Football. That is up to 85 scholarships for which there is no female alternative, and it has forced a lot of schools to cut/not offer sports like Hockey, Baseball, Lacrosse, Wrestling, etc to hit their numbers.

02-09-2012, 12:28 AM
Acew61

I play 2-3 times a week at Tennity. SU has Title IX problems (former SU rower so I know all about it) and although the facility is very nice, it would take some major work to make it suitable for a D1 program. They'd have to put an addition on for a real Men's locker room. (There are 4 "normal" dressing rooms and the women's team has their own wing). There are only several rows of bleachers on one side of the rink as well, with extremely limited available space for expansion. One side of the rink is hemmed in by the softball complex and the other side butts up against the main tennis courts. The women's locker takes up most of the available space.

Great facility, and being an alum its awesome having a private rink. 100$ for the year and I can get on the ice about 300 days a year if I really wanted to. Don't show up if you're not a student/alum/with or know someone as they won't let you in.

Acew61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 12:32 AM
Brodie
watcher on the walls

Quote:
Originally Posted by HagelinForPresident View Post
So basically it's about money. Makes sense.
there's also Title IX... to launch a men's program, they'd have to launch another women's sport to keep the number of scholarships given out equal. So more money spent.

Brodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 12:36 AM
MrEctions
Willy Nilly

I believe there was talk that they would play at the war mem until tennity was renovated?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acew61 View Post
I play 2-3 times a week at Tennity. SU has Title IX problems (former SU rower so I know all about it) and although the facility is very nice, it would take some major work to make it suitable for a D1 program. They'd have to put an addition on for a real Men's locker room. (There are 4 "normal" dressing rooms and the women's team has their own wing). There are only several rows of bleachers on one side of the rink as well, with extremely limited available space for expansion. One side of the rink is hemmed in by the softball complex and the other side butts up against the main tennis courts. The women's locker takes up most of the available space.

Great facility, and being an alum its awesome having a private rink. 100$ for the year and I can get on the ice about 300 days a year if I really wanted to. Don't show up if you're not a student/alum/with or know someone as they won't let you in.

Old
02-09-2012, 12:38 AM
MrEctions
Willy Nilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodie View Post
there's also Title IX... to launch a men's program, they'd have to launch another women's sport to keep the number of scholarships given out equal. So more money spent.
Yup, but to offset it they could bring back a sport like swimming. Cost seems low enough for something like that. I agree with the poster above that in reality the NCAA should not count football scholarships in regards to Title IX.

Old
02-09-2012, 12:44 AM
Acew61

Quote:
I believe there was talk that they would play at the war mem until tennity was renovated?
That would be my guess. Still have to deal with Title IX first. I'll talk to the rink director tomorrow and see what he has to say.

Acew61 is offline   Reply With Quote