HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2011 off-season: Manny/Cespedes to Oakland. But who cares, Spring Training's started!

Closed Thread

Old
02-08-2012, 08:06 PM
jcollins
BJ Elitist/Hipster

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaysLeafsTFCfan View Post
http://www.drunkjaysfans.com/2012/02...unkJaysFans%29

Looks like our Double A team is moving to Ottawa.
That's what I've been hoping for.

And AAA to Buffalo!

Last edited by jcollins: 02-08-2012 at 08:12 PM.
Old
02-08-2012, 08:11 PM
jcollins
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSaiyanBeastmode View Post
I want the jays AA team in ottawa so bad, the stadium is right beside a best buy and like 1 min away from a big mall, so people will know it's there. Throw dat jays logo on it somewhere and the *****es be swarming!
And it's actually a half decent minor league ball park.

Old
02-08-2012, 09:52 PM
ryno23

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcollins View Post
Its a great park

I go to the ballpark at least 10 times a year to watch intercounty ball in the summer its great on a hot summer day as the sunshine right on you. Its small enough and all seats are great. If they put some money into updating it, the stadium will be great to host a AA team and I think it can support it.

Old
02-08-2012, 10:10 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop The Mits View Post
Who said anything about superstars? What if we contend with this team and fans don't show up? It could be said if we had a superstar we'd be drawing fans.
Bautista, Halladay, Delgado, Clemens. The Jays have had superstars and it doesn't make the fans show up.

I think Moneyball even discusses that star players don't have a big impact on attendance levels on an ongoing basis. The primary factor is winning. Lose with stars and they become pariahs. Win with nobodies and they become stars.

"Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent."

Sorry, I am not taking signature requests at this time.
Old
02-08-2012, 11:45 PM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
http://www.drunkjaysfans.com/2012/02...unkJaysFans%29

Looks like our Double A team is moving to Ottawa.
That is ****ing spectacular. I'll be going to Ottawa much more often once I move back to Ontario. Love it.

Old
02-08-2012, 11:46 PM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcollins View Post
My buddy use to work for the Lynx and I could get box seats back then for free. If only that could happen again.

Old
02-08-2012, 11:51 PM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop The Mits View Post
Who said anything about superstars? What if we contend with this team and fans don't show up? It could be said if we had a superstar we'd be drawing fans.
If we get into the playoffs and aren't selling out it simply shows this isn't much of a baseball market and winning or marquee players won't change that. I don't believe that to be the case. Winning will go a long way to getting fans excited about baseball again.

Old
02-09-2012, 08:49 AM
jcollins
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dredeye View Post
My buddy use to work for the Lynx and I could get box seats back then for free. If only that could happen again.
The Lynx did $1 hot dog nights I believe. Nuff said.

Old
02-09-2012, 09:17 AM
NeverGoingToWin

Keith's Law's Top 100 Prospects

#6) Travis d'Arnaud
#42) Drew Hutchison
#47) Jake Marisnick
#59) Anthony Gose, CF
#96) Aaron Sanchez, RHP

http://insider.espn.go.com/mlb/story...ce-harper-more

Old
02-09-2012, 09:18 AM
NeverGoingToWin

http://insider.espn.go.com/mlb/story...ganization-mlb

Jays Top 10 prospects

1. Travis d'Arnaud, C
2. Drew Hutchison, RHP
3. Jake Marisnick, CF
4. Anthony Gose, CF
5. Aaron Sanchez, RHP
6. Justin Nicolino, RHP
7. Noah Syndergaard, RHP
8. A.J. Jimenez, C
9. Adonis Cardona, RHP
10. Deck McGuire, RHP

Old
02-09-2012, 09:21 AM
donkeyy0

Quote:

Jays Top 10 prospects

1. Travis d'Arnaud, C
2. Drew Hutchison, RHP
3. Jake Marisnick, CF
4. Anthony Gose, CF
5. Aaron Sanchez, RHP
6. Justin Nicolino, RHP
7. Noah Syndergaard, RHP
8. A.J. Jimenez, C
9. Adonis Cardona, RHP
10. Deck McGuire, RHP
I'm confused...Hutch over Gose? Sanchez over Syndergaard?

5 in the top 100 is wicked too no? Don't get Sanchez being in the top 100 over Noah or Justin though. This is like the only list I've seen where he's ranked that well.

Old
02-09-2012, 09:25 AM
Jaysfanatic*
BJ Elitist/Hipster

I think they're waiting for Nicolino and Syndergaard to produce at a higher level before putting them in the top 100. I'm sure next season one of them will be in there.

Old
02-09-2012, 09:35 AM
donkeyy0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaysfanatic View Post
I think they're waiting for Nicolino and Syndergaard to produce at a higher level before putting them in the top 100. I'm sure next season one of them will be in there.
But Sanchez has only pitched A- ball hasn't he? I dunno, it's draft pedigree he's going off of I guess.

Old
02-09-2012, 09:38 AM
NeverGoingToWin

Quote:
The Guidelines

• The rankings are limited to players who still have rookie eligibility; that means they have yet to exceed 130 at-bats or 50 innings pitched in the majors and have not yet spent 45 days on the active roster of a major league club, excluding call-ups during the roster expansion period after Sept. 1.

• Only players who have signed professional contracts are eligible.

• I do not consider players with experience in Nippon Professional Baseball "prospects" for the purposes of this exercise, which means no Yu Darvish.

• When ranking players, I consider scouting reports on players -- usually my own, supplementing with conversations with other scouts and front-office executives as needed -- as well as performance, adjusted for age and context. I've made one adjustment in my ranking philosophy in recent years, favoring higher-upside prospects over lower-ceiling prospects who are closer to the majors. This better reflects how these players are valued now by front offices and scouting departments, and gives me a chance to deliver more information on prospects whose names or scouting reports might be new to you.

• I use the 20-80 grading scale in these comments to avoid saying "average" and "above average" thousands of times across the 100 player comments. On that scale, a grade of 50 equals major league average, 55 is above average, 60 is plus, 45 is fringy or below average and so on. Mike Stanton has 80 raw power. Bengie Molina has 20 speed. An average fastball for a right-hander is 90-92 mph, with 1-2 mph off for a lefty.

• I've included last year's rank for players who appeared in the top 100 last offseason. An "ineligible" player (IE) was still an amateur at this time last January, whereas an "unranked" player (UR) was eligible but didn't make the cut. I've also tagged players who were on last year's sleepers list or list of 10 players who just missed the cut.
He must think that Hutch and Sanchez have more portential than other players. I agree it is strange because I thought Gose was ranked high because of all the potential he has and not necessarily what he has shown so far.

Old
02-09-2012, 10:34 AM
weems

d'Arnaud at #6 is

Lawrie and Alvarez just missed the prospect cutoff or we would have certainly had 2 players in the top 10 and Alvarez prolly would have been top 25.

Old
02-09-2012, 10:49 AM
Jaysfanatic*
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Interesting throw away line by Dave Perkins of the TO Star about the Jays installing grass, and turfing the Argos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Perkins
As for the Jays, more than a year ago, their free-agent shopping season began with a thud when Carl Crawford rejected the team’s initial overture out of hand because he didn’t want to play on artificial turf.

The Jays then began asking questions internally in earnest about whether or not grass would work.
Didn't even hear about that.....

Old
02-09-2012, 10:50 AM
Nasty Nazem
The North Remembers

Quote:

Jays Top 10 prospects

1. Travis d'Arnaud, C
2. Drew Hutchison, RHP
3. Jake Marisnick, CF
4. Anthony Gose, CF
5. Aaron Sanchez, RHP
6. Justin Nicolino, RHP
7. Noah Syndergaard, RHP
8. A.J. Jimenez, C
9. Adonis Cardona, RHP
10. Deck McGuire, RHP
Where is Norris? Also, Sanchez shouldn't be higher than Syndergaard. Syndergaard already has a much better fastball with good command while Sanchez is inconsistent. But I suppose KLaw must really like Sanchez upside.

You could say Hutch is too high but there are a lot of varying opinions on him and what he could be.

Old
02-09-2012, 11:11 AM
Woodman19
#TeamBernier

The list is pretty good and fair.

As many have stated the fact that Sanchez is on there over guys like Snydergaard seem a bit odd, but seems to be a pretty good representation of our prospect pool as a whole. Remember with baseball you have to weigh potential vs experience so not all list's are going to be the same. Also that is a very good point that Alvarez and Lawrie just missed the cut, it gives you a very good idea of just how strong the talent pool is in the organization these days.

Old
02-09-2012, 11:57 AM
SuperSaiyanBeastmode

so someone finally giving d'arnaud the title of the best catching prospect, then again it is keith law... but still he really is the best catcher in the minors, just that were the jays. Were Mesoraco and Montero on that list, don't know if they've played enough in the bigs yet.

Old
02-09-2012, 12:02 PM
NeverGoingToWin

Mesoraco is #8
Montero is #9 and listed as C/DH. His value may be hurt because Law sees him as a DH. He says he could be an MVP from the DH spot but he is not a catcher.

Old
02-09-2012, 12:06 PM
Everlong
Franchise Pillar

So that's why Harden wasn't picked up.

Changing his mechanics in order to avoid re-aggravating a previous injury. That just spells disaster.

Quote:
Canadian free agent pitcher Rich Harden won't pitch at all in 2012 after undergoing shoulder surgery.

According to the San Francisco Chronicle, the 30-year-old from Victoria, B.C., had surgery to repair a torn right shoulder capsule.

Harden has reportedly had the injury since trying to field a comebacker on April 15, 2007 and changed his mechanics over the last four years in order to still pitch.

"There's no reason, if I work hard, I can't get back to where I was before," Harden stated.

Harden said the plans on resuming his career in 2013, and hopes that the injuries that plagued him in the past will be over as a result of the surgery.

"If you look at those injuries, that's definitely where they came from," Harden said. "Yes, I've been injured a lot, but nobody really knew what I'd been dealing with for five years. Every day, just to play catch, I had to re-train my body to throw. I was pushing the ball. I'd start the game throwing 86-87 mph and that was max effort."

Harden also told the Chronicle that when he tries to return, it would likely be as a relief pitcher.

Old
02-09-2012, 12:07 PM
ThankYouBasedGod

Looking at our top prospects we definitely need to be drafting some infielders during the 2012 draft, enough pitchers/catchers.

Old
02-09-2012, 12:19 PM
canucksfan

vCash: 990
Outside of D'Arnaud, what prospects have an excellent chance of playing with the Jays at some point this season?

Old
02-09-2012, 12:31 PM
Jaysfanatic*
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Gose, Hech, McGuire

Old
02-09-2012, 12:45 PM
FreeBird
HFBoards Sponsor

http://www.baseballamerica.com/onlin...2/2612729.html