HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Torts please stop playing Brian Boyle late when losing

Old
02-08-2012, 07:04 PM
JoeRangers

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRSchrute217 View Post
Boyle is a problem. He doesn't have much of a shot, he doesn't use his body, he doesn't score the garbage goals, he doesn't really get to the front of the net.

It's obvious he'll never reach 20 again but he's not supposed to. He should play like a big player though and actually use his size to his advantage. He's fine on the 4th line but the guy is extremely frustrating.
Boyle uses his body. The guy led the team in hits last season and is 2nd this season. He may fall down alot when he throws hits but he isnt afraid to throw them. If he can play the way he has while killing penalties on the 4th line playing 10 minutes a night i dont have a problem with him.

JoeRangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 07:25 PM
NYRSchrute217

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRangers View Post
Boyle uses his body. The guy led the team in hits last season and is 2nd this season. He may fall down alot when he throws hits but he isnt afraid to throw them. If he can play the way he has while killing penalties on the 4th line playing 10 minutes a night i dont have a problem with him.
I can't disagree with the facts but if you watch him he passes up a LOT of chances to use his body. You can tell when you're at a game and focus on him. We can agree he's effective with limited minutes, but 16-20 minutes is ridiculous for a guy with such limited offensive potential.

NYRSchrute217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 07:27 PM
BigCanada77
NYR in the Midwest

Send a message via AIM to BigCanada77
Quote:
Boyle should've been dealt in the offseason when his value was at an all time high. 18 goals in the first half of last year, 3 in the 2nd half and 4 goals this season. He's not a good player and any more than 10 minutes a night is too much for this guy.
I think what you meant to say is he's not a very good offensive player.

He is a good player, his offensive skill set just isn't his strongest attribute. Like everyone said, Prust deserved to be out there, and part of how Prust plays is due to how his line played that game. Breaking Prust and Boyle up at that point doesn't make Prust the player that he was all game. In general, I agree that if you need a goal, stick with the top two lines, but if someone is the best player you've had this game, put his line out there. No on is the best player in a game without the help of his linemates, I'm sorry if you believe otherwise.

Also, we're in first place

BigCanada77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 08:26 PM
Dorado*

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
Very well said, my friend
Could they perhaps find a way to IDENTIFY THE NET on the PP . Is the IDENTITY OF THE TEAM utter ineptitude on the man advantage ?

Dorado* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 10:57 PM
MSG the place to be*

Antonio Cromartie is a shutdown corner

#thingsboylehaterssay

MSG the place to be* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 11:01 PM
Gardner McKay
Hey Hey...

vCash: 50
Quote:
I agree 100%. His effort on the pk is really outstanding. The guy must have stones the size of boulders to get in front of those shots.

Gardner McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 11:20 PM
nyrmessier011

Send a message via AIM to nyrmessier011
wow, can't believe the hate for this guy just because his stats don't look good. There's no reason he shouldn't be out in key situations, he should just be out there with different people at different times. I agree he has a hard time scoring, but with some better players who can he can really add some value in key spots. Overall throughout the game he belongs on the fourth line, but I'm completely comfortable playing him late in games with better players and on the power play too. Watch any other teams power play in the league, they are all moving around, winning battles to maintain possession etc, all stuff Boyle does just as well as any human on the Rangers. I think it would be a breath of fresh air to give him regular power play time and see what happens.

nyrmessier011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 11:35 PM
SlingshotVv
nerdy wrist-locks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Brolov View Post
Everyone knew it was a fluke.
His scoring may have been a fluke, but his solid play wasn't.

That said, he's not likely to be the one to get us a goal when we really need one, so I'm in agreement with the OP. No reason to roll out what should be a 4th line center with the game on the line.

SlingshotVv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 11:58 PM
MSG the place to be*

The Torts philosophy is about managing the game by managing the puck and outworking the other team to get chances. Right now we are not outworking teams the way we did last year and the way we have at times this year.

Any 3 of our 11 hardworking forwards can be put together and get the mojo going. NOT the mojo you guys are clamoring for where you want some offensive exhibition. I'm referring to the mojo that has made this team a joy to watch for the past two years. The mojo where we are so sharp and playing so determined that we demoralize the opposition. The mojo where every time Anisimov, Cally, and Dubi were on the ice I was getting goosebumps and a smile from ear to ear...and where Feds, Boyle, and Prust were able to do the same.

It doesn't take your prototypical offensive chemistry to succeed in our team concept. All it takes are 3 guys who are playing pedal to the metal and know how to support each other. Stop worrying about depth charts, top 6/bottom 6, and all that other BS. If we find enough of the mojo when the playoffs come around we will be very successful. If our mojo tank is empty then we are an ordinary team and will have to ride Hank.

MSG the place to be* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 12:03 AM
SwedishBullet62
Never go full torts.

Quote:
Boyle isnt a problem on this team. Most people knew he wouldnt score 20+ again. He is fine for what he is a 4th liner and PK guy who can pop in 5-8 goals a season. I agree with the last part 10 min a night is all he should be getting
hes not a problem defensively or on the powerplay, he is however when hes torts' go too guy in the 4th when we need a goal, guys an offensive black hole with hands made of stone.

SwedishBullet62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 07:44 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Boyle is a problem. He doesn't have much of a shot, he doesn't use his body, he doesn't score the garbage goals, he doesn't really get to the front of the net.

It's obvious he'll never reach 20 again but he's not supposed to. He should play like a big player though and actually use his size to his advantage. He's fine on the 4th line but the guy is extremely frustrating.
He plays EXCACTLY the bottom-2 line game that Torts wants and fits this team. Just becuase he does not throw the highlight real hit, does not mean that he does not use his body. He is a fine 4th line center and more than capable of being a 3rd line center. What are you getting frustrated about? What are you expecting of him?

As for teh goals, I guess that we can also say that Dubinsky will never reach 20 again?

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 07:44 AM
JoeRangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerdanger20 View Post
hes not a problem defensively or on the powerplay, he is however when hes torts' go too guy in the 4th when we need a goal, guys an offensive black hole with hands made of stone.
Not gonna deny that.

Old
02-09-2012, 07:47 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorado View Post
Could they perhaps find a way to IDENTIFY THE NET on the PP . Is the IDENTITY OF THE TEAM utter ineptitude on the man advantage ?
Special Teams is ALL coaching. I like Torts and think that he has done a splendid job in all areas, but teh PP is an issue. We brought in the 'solution", didn't we? Wasn't Richards the pointman we needed to fix the PP? Too much thinking, IMO. Get puck, get it through, outnumber people infront of net.

But this is hardly the fault of Boyle.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 08:02 AM
Bardof425*

Quote:
Originally Posted by outlaw52 View Post
were you watching the game last night? it was said during the broadcast at one point and i was saying it from early second period to the end.....prust was our best forward last night and nobody was even close end of story..
But yet he didn't score and we lost by a goal. When you need a goal to tie grinding only helps if it produces a goal. Otherwise it just takes time off the clock and gets us closer to losing. Those two guys should not see the ice in the third if we're losing unless on the PK.

Bardof425* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 08:04 AM
Bardof425*

Quote:
Boyle isnt a problem on this team. Most people knew he wouldnt score 20+ again. He is fine for what he is a 4th liner and PK guy who can pop in 5-8 goals a season. I agree with the last part 10 min a night is all he should be getting
But he's getting 3rd line minutes and therein lies everyone's beef with torts.

Old
02-09-2012, 08:07 AM
Bardof425*

Quote:
He hits little guys. Avoids big guys.

Old
02-09-2012, 08:09 AM
Bardof425*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NvincentYvalentineR View Post
I agree 100%. His effort on the pk is really outstanding. The guy must have stones the size of boulders to get in front of those shots.
Everyone on this team blocks shots. He needs to start winning draws on the PK. Or he should pair with someone who can.

Old
02-09-2012, 08:15 AM
JoeRangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bardof425 View Post
But he's getting 3rd line minutes and therein lies everyone's beef with torts.
Not denying that he shouldnt be playing on the 4th line, I just dont understand why people are saying he shouldnt be on the team.

Quote:
He hits little guys. Avoids big guys.
There must be alot of little guys in the league because he throws alot of hits

Old
02-09-2012, 08:19 AM
satrabyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG the place to be View Post
Boyle is having a better, more impactful season this year than last year.
I agree, its all about stats for these guys. How many goals?? The guy needs to continue to work on his toughness and continue to use his body as much as he can in both ends to shield pucks if he continues to improve in this area which he has he is fully capable of staying in the league and being an important peice.

satrabyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 08:58 AM
JoeRangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by satrabyk View Post
I agree, its all about stats for these guys. How many goals?? The guy needs to continue to work on his toughness and continue to use his body as much as he can in both ends to shield pucks if he continues to improve in this area which he has he is fully capable of staying in the league and being an important peice.
I'd like to see him work on his skating and his leg strength. If he was just a little harder to knock off the puck it would make him alot more effective.

Old
02-09-2012, 09:35 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Brandon Prust has 2 goals this season.
Brian Boyle has 4 goals this season.

I don't care how well they are playing. They do not belong on the ice when the team is losing in the 3rd period. All they're going to do is take more time off the clock and bring the team closer to losing. Your odds of scoring a goal with them on the ice is extremely low. When you're losing and it's late, you put your players on who are going to have a higher chance of scoring.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 09:39 AM
Bardof425*

Quote:
Not denying that he shouldnt be playing on the 4th line, I just dont understand why people are saying he shouldnt be on the team.

There must be alot of little guys in the league because he throws alot of hits
compared to him there are.

Old
02-09-2012, 09:45 AM
JoeRangers

Quote:
compared to him there are.
Gotcha. So if he hits someone under 6'7 its considered hitting a little guy

Old
02-09-2012, 09:52 AM
Bardof425*

Quote:
Gotcha. So if he hits someone under 6'7 its considered hitting a little guy
No but he stays away from guys over 200 pounds. All of his big hits are him running over a guy half his size. You don't see alot of shoulder to shoulder hits out of him. He tries. I appreciate the effort.

Old
02-09-2012, 10:05 AM
JoeRangers

Quote:
No but he stays away from guys over 200 pounds. All of his big hits are him running over a guy half his size. You don't see alot of shoulder to shoulder hits out of him. He tries. I appreciate the effort.
Listen like I said before I know he doesnt always stay on his feet after a hit and he's certainly not a big hit guy but im pretty sure he didnt finish near the top of the league in hits last season by just hitting little guys.