HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Will Bryzgalov ever be worth his contract? All Bryz Discussion Here. Part Three

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-08-2012, 02:47 PM
  #326
toughfighter83*
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 563
vCash: 500
for brezzy supporters, i applaud you, no offense to flyer fans but bob and bryz are the victims of this lousy defense team although the defense played great against the islanders, they need a defensemen that can score and advance to the finals to beat the rangers and bruins.

true flyer fans should support both goalies no matter what they go through because it's not easy for both of them right now, it's getting tougher as the season goes on, especially the playoffs, if they get an early exit is because the team didnt play well, it's not on the goalies,


it's a team sport, not a one person show, it takes mental toughness for the whole team to come together and win a championship, that's what this team has been lacking for the last 36 years. it's been lazy playing the reason why the flyers never win a cup.

toughfighter83* is offline  
Old
02-08-2012, 02:56 PM
  #327
qwertysac
Registered User
 
qwertysac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Montreal, Qc
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,090
vCash: 500
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1101719

Again, this sums it up.

Yes Bryz hasn't had a good season so far. But since the allstar break he has been much better.

But you some of you are just illogical.

qwertysac is offline  
Old
02-08-2012, 03:36 PM
  #328
MrHockey1982
Registered User
 
MrHockey1982's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,178
vCash: 500
http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/inqflyersreport/


Quote:
The Flyers are 1-5 in shootouts this season and an NHL-worst 20-39 in franchise history. That explains why they spent the first part of Wednesday's practice working on the shootout.

At one point, goalie Ilya Bryzgalov stopped seven straight before Wayne Simmonds beat him with a backhander.

Bryzgalov entered the season with a respectable track record in shootouts: He was 19-22 with a .660 save percentage.

This season, he is 0-4 and has stopped just two of 10 shots (.200).

As a team, Flyers shooters are only 5 for 17 in shootouts this season.

He's good at them in practice. Either that or our shooters are just that bad. Sigh...

MrHockey1982 is offline  
Old
02-08-2012, 04:00 PM
  #329
Bernie Parent 1974
Registered User
 
Bernie Parent 1974's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 3,161
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hckyplayer8 View Post
HOLY CRAP. HE played 364 games this year/season?

guess that means you have nothing to refute the stats and facts...

Official NHL Statistics Ilya Bryzgalov: Career: 364 GP .914 SV% 2.56 GAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Sergei Bobrovsky: 2.61, .914 sv%, 74 games played
i like Bob alot. he just needs to have those stats after 300 or so more games to be Bryz's equal career-wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Well, a potential problem with this is that their sample sizes aren't the same. Removing a bad set of stats from Bob's smaller body of work is going to have greater positive impact than if you do the same for Bryz and his larger body of work.
ssssshhhhhhhhhhhhh, we don't wont to stand in the way of the stat massagers, do we ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang2750 View Post
Let me get this straight...some Flyers fans are actually blaming Bryzgalov for allowing SO goals to the player with the best SO % in the NHL (Nielsen) and John Tavares (arguably the hottest player in the league right now)??


There is only one word to describe these people....MORONS.

lol ......


Last edited by Bernie Parent 1974: 02-08-2012 at 05:07 PM.
Bernie Parent 1974 is offline  
Old
02-08-2012, 04:21 PM
  #330
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail
 
JXC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 13,868
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie Parent 1974 View Post
guess that means you have nothing to refute the stats and facts.

Official NHL Statistics Ilya Bryzgalov: Career: 364 GP .914 SV% 2.56 GAA
Wow, that's better than Fleury.

JXC is offline  
Old
02-08-2012, 04:32 PM
  #331
hckyplayer8
He's Gone!
 
hckyplayer8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Chicken Capital,PA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,838
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie Parent 1974 View Post
guess that means you have nothing to refute the stats and facts.

Official NHL Statistics Ilya Bryzgalov: Career: 364 GP .914 SV% 2.56 GAA
I am just wondering why you are quoting career stats for a discussion about his performance this year vs BOB's performance this year?

You do know the difference between a single season and a career....right?

hckyplayer8 is offline  
Old
02-08-2012, 05:16 PM
  #332
Bernie Parent 1974
Registered User
 
Bernie Parent 1974's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 3,161
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hckyplayer8 View Post
I am just wondering why you are quoting career stats for a discussion about his performance this year vs BOB's performance this year?

You do know the difference between a single season and a career....right?
HAHAHA !!! that's a VERY good attempt to wriggle out of using STATS AND FACTS ...

this thread is CLEARLY about "Will Bryzgalov ever be worth his 9 YEAR contract? All Bryz Discussion Here"

nowhere does it even IMPLY we can ONLY discuss THIS year .... in fact, the thread title suggests a discussion of 9 years at least .... LOL ... so, if he wins a CUP this year, and doesn't next year, we are gonna be forbidden from bringing up that he won a CUP ?

what a pathetic attempt to lop off 9 years worth and 326 games worth [not counting playoffs] of statistical and factual information about Bryz, because they don't support your anti-Bryz agenda.

no, hcky, this is All Bryz Discussion Here ... and that includes his COMPLETE statistical & factual history, his .900 sv% & 2.78 gaa this year, regardless of whether or not they fit your campaign against him.

nice try, but FAIL.

Bernie Parent 1974 is offline  
Old
02-08-2012, 05:22 PM
  #333
Amateur Hour
Registered User
 
Amateur Hour's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Negadelphia
Posts: 6,507
vCash: 500
I think we're going to get to a point, whether it's this season or next, where Lavy might have to seriously consider overhauling his preferred system of play in order to better suit Bryzgalov. I know he wants to have a team that plays "giddy up and go" hockey, but something a little more conservative and defensive might be necessary. Not that I really have any idea what I'm talking about, just spitballing here.

Amateur Hour is offline  
Old
02-08-2012, 05:24 PM
  #334
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
AICMAM
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Alexandria
Country: Liberia
Posts: 33,832
vCash: 156
Well, I would put more stock in his previous stats if Phoenix and Philly were similar environments. They aren't; they're exceptionally different. I find his performance so far troubling, because he isn't exactly showing he can get it done in this environment. At this point we might need to see if he can use the offseason to shake it off, figure out what the hell hit him, and live up to expectations...that is, if his inconsistency continues; perhaps he'll get it together before the end of the season. Using the offseason to clear the cobwebs, reflect on the season and what needs to be done, and get it together seems to have worked well for Bob. Maybe it's what Bryz needs

__________________
Down in the basement, I've got a Craftsman lathe. Show it to the children when they misbehave.
Beef Invictus is online now  
Old
02-08-2012, 05:30 PM
  #335
Amateur Hour
Registered User
 
Amateur Hour's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Negadelphia
Posts: 6,507
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Well, I would put more stock in his previous stats if Phoenix and Philly were similar environments. They aren't; they're exceptionally different. I find his performance so far troubling, because he isn't exactly showing he can get it done in this environment. At this point we might need to see if he can use the offseason to shake it off, figure out what the hell hit him, and live up to expectations...that is, if his inconsistency continues; perhaps he'll get it together before the end of the season. Using the offseason to clear the cobwebs, reflect on the season and what needs to be done, and get it together seems to have worked well for Bob. Maybe it's what Bryz needs
Let's hope so -- which is pretty much all we can at this point anyway.

Amateur Hour is offline  
Old
02-08-2012, 05:44 PM
  #336
SolidSnakeUS
Registered User
 
SolidSnakeUS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Pipersville, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 27,974
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amateur Hour View Post
Let's hope so -- which is pretty much all we can at this point anyway.
I can guess you put it like this:

It's going to be a long arduous journey, one with many trials and tribulations, you are always going to start out rough, and eventually, through time, will become better and stronger by that kind of work, experience, dedication, loss and victory.

SolidSnakeUS is offline  
Old
02-08-2012, 05:59 PM
  #337
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
AICMAM
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Alexandria
Country: Liberia
Posts: 33,832
vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
I can guess you put it like this:

It's going to be a long arduous journey, one with many trials and tribulations, you are always going to start out rough, and eventually, through time, will become better and stronger by that kind of work, experience, dedication, loss and victory.
Or he just keeps sucking and we Huet him. One of the two.

Beef Invictus is online now  
Old
02-08-2012, 06:23 PM
  #338
MrHockey1982
Registered User
 
MrHockey1982's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,178
vCash: 500
Scott Cullen rates all teams on their goaltending

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=387262


Guess where he ranks the Flyers goaltenders? A cool 28th.

MrHockey1982 is offline  
Old
02-08-2012, 06:48 PM
  #339
Readyrock
(・_・;)
 
Readyrock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,705
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie Parent 1974 View Post
HAHAHA !!! that's a VERY good attempt to wriggle out of using STATS AND FACTS ...

this thread is CLEARLY about "Will Bryzgalov ever be worth his 9 YEAR contract? All Bryz Discussion Here"

nowhere does it even IMPLY we can ONLY discuss THIS year .... in fact, the thread title suggests a discussion of 9 years at least .... LOL ... so, if he wins a CUP this year, and doesn't next year, we are gonna be forbidden from bringing up that he won a CUP ?

what a pathetic attempt to lop off 9 years worth and 326 games worth [not counting playoffs] of statistical and factual information about Bryz, because they don't support your anti-Bryz agenda.

no, hcky, this is All Bryz Discussion Here ... and that includes his COMPLETE statistical & factual history, his .900 sv% & 2.78 gaa this year, regardless of whether or not they fit your campaign against him.

nice try, but FAIL.
Right.

As this is a Flyers board, people tend to discuss a players performance while on the team. Go figure.

Readyrock is offline  
Old
02-08-2012, 07:02 PM
  #340
hckyplayer8
He's Gone!
 
hckyplayer8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Chicken Capital,PA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,838
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie Parent 1974 View Post
HAHAHA !!! that's a VERY good attempt to wriggle out of using STATS AND FACTS ...

this thread is CLEARLY about "Will Bryzgalov ever be worth his 9 YEAR contract? All Bryz Discussion Here"

nowhere does it even IMPLY we can ONLY discuss THIS year .... in fact, the thread title suggests a discussion of 9 years at least .... LOL ... so, if he wins a CUP this year, and doesn't next year, we are gonna be forbidden from bringing up that he won a CUP ?

what a pathetic attempt to lop off 9 years worth and 326 games worth [not counting playoffs] of statistical and factual information about Bryz, because they don't support your anti-Bryz agenda.

no, hcky, this is All Bryz Discussion Here ... and that includes his COMPLETE statistical & factual history, his .900 sv% & 2.78 gaa this year, regardless of whether or not they fit your campaign against him.

nice try, but FAIL.
Wrong. You QUOTED my post. When you quote somebodies post, it is only normal for them to assume that is your REPLY to the topic of their post.

NOWHERE was I talking about career stats. I was talking about his stats since he joined the Flyers.

Really, learn to discuss and push your subject matter with proper qualifiers..


Last edited by Beef Invictus: 02-08-2012 at 07:27 PM. Reason: Not needed, let's keep some respect in this thread.
hckyplayer8 is offline  
Old
02-08-2012, 07:26 PM
  #341
Flyerfan4life
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Richmond BC, Canada
Country: England
Posts: 11,756
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Well, I would put more stock in his previous stats if Phoenix and Philly were similar environments. They aren't; they're exceptionally different. I find his performance so far troubling, because he isn't exactly showing he can get it done in this environment. At this point we might need to see if he can use the offseason to shake it off, figure out what the hell hit him, and live up to expectations...that is, if his inconsistency continues; perhaps he'll get it together before the end of the season. Using the offseason to clear the cobwebs, reflect on the season and what needs to be done, and get it together seems to have worked well for Bob. Maybe it's what Bryz needs
yea im pretty sure at this point that Bryz is simply not the right fit for this market..

the only city that i think might be harder on a goalie is MTL.

i have nothing against Bryz the man or even his ability to play goalie. but in this situation in this city at a time when everyone is fed up with subpar goal tending he was brought in (at VERY high cost mind you) to finaly put and end to it and get us solid net minding to aid with Lavis "go get em" style of attack hockey.

to bad it appears that neither the scouts or Bryz himself really took a look at what would happen if things didnt change (sure enuf here we are looking at ugly results yet again)

im predicting BAD things in the city of Philly, if the season stays as hit n miss as it is currently throu to the end of the season and whateva PO run we manage.

Flyerfan4life is offline  
Old
02-08-2012, 07:29 PM
  #342
Bernie Parent 1974
Registered User
 
Bernie Parent 1974's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 3,161
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hckyplayer8 View Post
NOWHERE was I talking about career stats.
I quoted your post where you claimed [incorrectly] that this 'all things Bryz' thread was ONLY about his 38 games as a Flyer, and that it was only a Bryz v Bob thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hckyplayer8 View Post
I am just wondering why you are quoting career stats for a discussion about his performance this year vs BOB's performance this year?

You do know the difference between a single season and a career....right?
you weren't talking career numbers.I was.
This is the 'all things Bryz' thread. not just a 'single season' thread. or just 'this year' thread. or just a 'Bryz v Bob' thread

your whole point is that you call him a 'bum' and are using his 38 games and his .900 sv% & 2.78 gaa as a Flyers for your statistical 'proof'.

I'm arguing he isn't a 'bum', using 326 more games and his .914 SV% 2.56 GAA to back up my argument. I believe he'll live up to his career numbers.

you are trying to exclude 326 games worth of statistical and factual information. that's your right, it makes his numbers look worse than his career numbers.

go for it.

since you want to lop off 326 games worth of stats, I'll lop off his 1st 26 games as a Flyer. fair is fair, right ?

.918 sv % in 2012 so far

either use ALL of his stats to evaluate him, or if you want to pick and choose the sample of stats that 'prove' your point, be prepared that others are gonna do the same.

so, which is it, all of his stats, or just portions ?

and, since you were the one who requested 'stats and facts' ... at least my avatar is factually and statistically correct, whereas yours is just an opinion.


Last edited by Bernie Parent 1974: 02-08-2012 at 07:58 PM. Reason: added more stats and facts
Bernie Parent 1974 is offline  
Old
02-08-2012, 08:02 PM
  #343
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
AICMAM
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Alexandria
Country: Liberia
Posts: 33,832
vCash: 156
I don't care about what he did before he was a Flyer. I care about what he's done as a Flyer. As a Flyer he hasn't impressed. Things he did for other teams don't have any impact on the Flyers now. The way that he's played for the Flyers has.

Edit: Do Leino's stats as a Flyer absolve his current abysmal season?


Last edited by Beef Invictus: 02-08-2012 at 08:24 PM.
Beef Invictus is online now  
Old
02-08-2012, 08:34 PM
  #344
Bernie Parent 1974
Registered User
 
Bernie Parent 1974's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 3,161
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
I don't care about what he did before he was a Flyer.
If you want to pick and chose a certain time frame to form your opinion on Bryz, then allow others to do likewise.

I don't care what he did before righting himself after the WC. Things he did before the WC don't have any impact on the Flyers now. The way that he's played for the Flyers since the WC is what matters.

.918 sv % is a good step toward getting where he needs to be.

Bernie Parent 1974 is offline  
Old
02-08-2012, 08:35 PM
  #345
Readyrock
(・_・;)
 
Readyrock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,705
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie Parent 1974 View Post
This is the 'all things Bryz' thread. not just a 'single season' thread. or just 'this year' thread. or just a 'Bryz v Bob' thread
Bernie, my friend...

You know what's different about this season? There is only one player in the entire league being paid more than Bryzgalov in 2011-2012.

Players are judged against the investment of resources expended to retain them, which is why the reaction to his play has been so sour.

I could name 25 other starting goalies off the top of my head that I would take in a heartbeat over the Flyers-edition Bryzgalov. If you can't, then you're insane.

Readyrock is offline  
Old
02-08-2012, 08:40 PM
  #346
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
AICMAM
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Alexandria
Country: Liberia
Posts: 33,832
vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie Parent 1974 View Post
If you want to pick and chose a certain time frame to form your opinion on Bryz, then allow others to do likewise.

I don't care what he did before righting himself after the WC.

.918 sv % is a good step toward getting where he needs to be.
So...you're going to simply ignore a period of time where he was actively a detriment to the Flyers? You understand that's completely different and makes zero sense right? Are you going to conveniently ignore every bad game and goal he lets in from now on, too?

That's like saying we can ignore the 77 games where Shelley didn't score and focus on the 2 he did. Then, using that analysis to proclaim that he was a brilliant signing who has never been a detriment to the Flyers while he played.

Edit: Things he did before the Winter Classic DO impact the Flyers now. He turned in quite a few bad performances that ended in losses. Those are points that affect our position in the standings.


Last edited by Beef Invictus: 02-08-2012 at 08:49 PM.
Beef Invictus is online now  
Old
02-08-2012, 08:54 PM
  #347
Readyrock
(・_・;)
 
Readyrock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,705
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Edit: Things he did before the Winter Classic DO impact the Flyers now. He turned in quite a few bad performances that ended in losses. Those are points that affect our position in the standings.
Yeah, but based on the Islanders game he's on pace for a 1.0 SV%.

STATS AND FACTS, Beef. STATS AND FACTS.

Readyrock is offline  
Old
02-08-2012, 09:00 PM
  #348
Bernie Parent 1974
Registered User
 
Bernie Parent 1974's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 3,161
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Readyrock View Post
Players are judged against the investment of resources expended to retain them
who made you the judge on how a player must judged ? that's how YOU judge them, that is your right.

I judge them based on ALL info that I have on them. Stats and facts and what my eyes see game to game.

you judge your way & i'll judge mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
So...you're going to simply ignore a period of time where ......
If you can ignore the 353 games he played [including playoffs] until this year to form your overall opinion on Bryz, then you have to accept me ignoring his 26 games previous to the WC. I'm just doing what you are doing: picking and choosing a sample of games. My preference would be to use the overall sample, but once you start carving the sample up, accept that others will follow suit

Bernie Parent 1974 is offline  
Old
02-08-2012, 09:06 PM
  #349
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
AICMAM
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Alexandria
Country: Liberia
Posts: 33,832
vCash: 156
I don't think you get it. My opinion of Bryz as a Flyer is based solely on his performance as a Flyer. Not as a Duck. Not as a Coyote. If you want my opinion of him as a Duck or Coyote, then his time with those teams becomes relevant. His time as a Flyer is determined by his performance as a Flyer. For example, I'm not being judged at my current job based on my performance in high school, college or Blockbuster; I'm being judged by how I do at this current job...not how I did in my previous occupations. Nobody in any job is going to do badly and have their boss say "Man, you sure have been disappointing. But hey, you were really good at subtraction in 1st grade! All is well!" Or in sports: "Boy, you sure have been disappointing! But you were great in the NCAA! All is well!"


Last edited by Beef Invictus: 02-08-2012 at 09:15 PM.
Beef Invictus is online now  
Old
02-08-2012, 09:08 PM
  #350
BringBackStevens
Registered User
 
BringBackStevens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 11,833
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to BringBackStevens
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie Parent 1974 View Post
who made you the judge on how a player must judged ? that's how YOU judge them, that is your right.

I judge them based on ALL info that I have on them. Stats and facts and what my eyes see game to game.

you judge your way & i'll judge mine.



If you can ignore the 353 games he played [including playoffs] until this year to form your overall opinion on Bryz, then you have to accept me ignoring his 26 games previous to the WC. I'm just doing what you are doing: picking and choosing a sample of games. My preference would be to use the overall sample, but once you start carving the sample up, accept that others will follow suit
Well your way is stupid and dumb

BringBackStevens is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:00 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.