HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

All-Purpose Trade Rumors and Speculation Thread Part III

Closed Thread

Old
02-08-2012, 05:58 PM
Gilligans Island

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitbtw View Post
If it's to the point where we have to move a roster piece to get the player we need (which it pretty much is at), this is also the method I would prefer. Nothing against Murray but it seems like it is easier to get enough of a replacement for him in order to get an upgrade for the forward corp.
Yeah, we have a hedge with Stuart and/or if Petrecki steps up in training camp next year. Murray's the most easily replaceable among the valuable roster players we could consider trading.

Old
02-08-2012, 05:59 PM
Inub0i
I will Q

Send a message via AIM to Inub0i Send a message via MSN to Inub0i Send a message via Skype™ to Inub0i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin27NYI View Post

If it's Grabner the price goes up but I'd be very interested in a Bailey-Murray deal. Isles have a few prospects that can fill in the immediate role to replace Bailey short and long term and Murray would be a huge help on D.
Baily for Murray? Absolutely.
Sign me up!

Old
02-08-2012, 06:00 PM
Gilligans Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
Getting both would be great for our long term needs, since we lack forward prospects.

To NYI:
Murray + Wingels + 2nd

To SJ:
Bailey + Grabner

Something like that? Could also offer Irwin/Doherty if you want another D prospect instead of an NHL ready forward.

Sharks would have a ton of options line up wise then, but something like:

Marleau - Thornton - Pavelski
Clowe - Couture - Havlat
McGinn - Bailey - Grabner
Winchester - Handzus - Desjardins

Makes room for Stuart next season, and in the mean time we can rent Gill or something to replace Murray.
I'd be down with that deal.

Now that Ferriero is getting a chance on the 1st line (even though Desi's been doing a fine job as a fill-in), I bet it's to showcase him for a trade.

Also, I'd trade Petrecki before Doherty. I just think there's greater upside with him than Petrecki.

Old
02-08-2012, 06:02 PM
magic school bus

vCash: 1965
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkollidas View Post
Maybe Stafford's overpaid, but Roy makes $4m/yr and is basically a ppg center besides this season, in which he's returning from a nearly season-long injury last year.
nice try, but you wouldn't trade him if Roy was that good.

Old
02-08-2012, 06:02 PM
do0glas

Ferriero on the 1 line sounds like a push for goal production.

he scores 5 on 5 very well, and i think while desi put the work in he wasnt reliable in the crease or on the shot. hopefully this balances out a little better and ferriero works on getting into the forecheck quicker.

something is wrong if you play with pavs/JT and dont have anything to show for it.

Old
02-08-2012, 06:11 PM
Les Wynan*

Quote:
Disagree. Guy just isn't getting results/production but is playing very well. Isles need the results he isn't providing and Sharks can get the production out of him.
Among guys who have played at least 40 games for the Isles this season, Bailey has by far the worst Corsi rate at a ridiculously awful -13 per 60. This is while being matched up against opposing teams' worst players. On an individual level, Bailey is averaging a paltry 1.3 shots per game.

There's a difference between a player who's generating chances but getting none of the bounces and a guy who just plain sucks. Bailey, at least this season, is in the latter category.

Old
02-08-2012, 06:16 PM
Splitbtw
Rebuild? Refresh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
Getting both would be great for our long term needs, since we lack forward prospects.

To NYI:
Murray + Wingels + 2nd

To SJ:
Bailey + Grabner

Something like that? Could also offer Irwin/Doherty if you want another D prospect instead of an NHL ready forward.

Sharks would have a ton of options line up wise then, but something like:

Marleau - Thornton - Pavelski
Clowe - Couture - Havlat
McGinn - Bailey - Grabner
Winchester - Handzus - Desjardins

Makes room for Stuart next season, and in the mean time we can rent Gill or something to replace Murray.
It also makes the Sharks a much faster overall team.

Old
02-08-2012, 06:21 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Wynan View Post
Among guys who have played at least 40 games for the Isles this season, Bailey has by far the worst Corsi rate at a ridiculously awful -13 per 60. This is while being matched up against opposing teams' worst players. On an individual level, Bailey is averaging a paltry 1.3 shots per game.

There's a difference between a player who's generating chances but getting none of the bounces and a guy who just plain sucks. Bailey, at least this season, is in the latter category.
I agree that Bailey is having a horrid season. But I support going after him because for one, he'd be a great buy-low, and second, because I think that his poor play has been due to a mental block, stemming from a lack of fulfilling expectations and the feelings of failure on his part. I really think he'll turn his career around. He has the hands and the smarts.

Old
02-08-2012, 06:24 PM
Kevin27nyi
Global Moderator
#21KO

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inub0i View Post
Baily for Murray? Absolutely.
Sign me up!
Has Murray faltered or something? I always liked him alongside Boyle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Wynan View Post

Oh great, corsi stats. Yeah, I saw an ESPN writer keep John Tavares out a top 25 players under 25 list and used those stats to justify it.

Old
02-08-2012, 06:28 PM
Kevin27nyi
Global Moderator
#21KO

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilligans Island View Post
What's Grabner's asking price?
I'd like a #3-4 dman. He's having a down year and is still on pace for 23 goals and is a great PKer on a team with the 6th (I believe) best PK.

There is no reason to trade him now, on a team friendly deal and when his value is low.

Old
02-08-2012, 06:32 PM
Inub0i
I will Q

Send a message via AIM to Inub0i Send a message via MSN to Inub0i Send a message via Skype™ to Inub0i
Quote:
I think Murray is playing with Burns now this year. He's been great with Boyle when they were paired up, but Boyle is playing with Vlasic at the moment.

As for Murray, he's doing fine, but I believe he's the most easily replaceable. It gives you guys a solid #2-#3 Dman and we fix our Top 6/Third Line issues. Just keep in mind that skating is not his strong suit, but he hits like a train.

Old
02-08-2012, 06:34 PM
Les Wynan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TehJuxtaposer View Post
I agree that Bailey is having a horrid season. But I support going after him because for one, he'd be a great buy-low, and second, because I think that his poor play has been due to a mental block, stemming from a lack of fulfilling expectations and the feelings of failure on his part. I really think he'll turn his career around. He has the hands and the smarts.
It's hard to make that statement with any degree of confidence unless you're the Isles' psychologist or something. Buying low makes sense when a player is creating scoring opportunities but is absolutely snake-bitten in terms of shooting percentage. A guy like Chris Stewart or Paul Stastny or Jeff Carter or Dustin Penner or even sticking with the Isles, Okposo or Grabner. The overwhelming probability is that those guys will return to finishing chances at their career rates. Bailey's underlying numbers are just horrifying and indicate that he really doesn't belong in the NHL. Sure there's a chance he turns it around completely but it's probably a really small one.

Quote:
Oh great, corsi stats. Yeah, I saw an ESPN writer keep John Tavares out a top 25 players under 25 list and used those stats to justify it.
That was probably based on past seasons. Tavares is second on the Isles in Corsi (behind Parenteau, whose numbers JT is probably driving) this season while facing some really tough matchups.

Old
02-08-2012, 06:36 PM
Gilligans Island

Quote:
Murray's still the same. I would be fine trading him b/c we know we have to trade something of value to acquire a young-tweener-who-maybe-could-become-a-top-6 forward, and he could be the odd man out. Reports are Brad Stuart wants to sign with a California team this offseason, and he'd be a more than able replacement. Plus, we have Petrecki who's a season or 2 away from being able to take Murray's spot.

I don't want to part with any other roster player that has value (Pavs, Clowe, Demers, Braun).

Old
02-08-2012, 06:39 PM
magic school bus

vCash: 1965
Quote:
He's kind of slow to begin with, and when you add up all the massive hits/collisions he's a part of - I'd peg him as a good bet to fall off a cliff long term. He's already 31. We can find someone to fill his role. Defensive d-men are easier to find than puck movers too, so that's another point against him. I love Murray as a fan right now, but 2 or 3 years from now, who knows what he'll look like on the ice?

Old
02-08-2012, 06:40 PM
stalockrox

Quote:
Kevin27NYI;43815453]Has Murray faltered or something? I always liked him alongside Boyle.
Murray, alongside Boyle, had a rough start to the season but he's still a top 4 d-man and has been much better since coming back from injury - some Sharks fans have just decided he's expendable for forward help. I am definitely not one of them.

A Bailey for Murray deal in the offseason might be something I'd do but I wouldn't do it now, just my opinion.

Old
02-08-2012, 06:40 PM
hateseed
TentacleGrapeSoda

vCash: 116
from puckdaddy:

"Shane Doan is at least entertaining the thought that he'll need to move on from the Coyotes franchise: "My preference is to stay here (in Phoenix)," said Doan. "I've made that clear. But at the same time, obviously if the team's not here and we're not here everything is quite a bit different. It's been that way for the last two years, but I've been kind of blocking it out. But I recognize that in the next three weeks it's probably going to come to a head. If not then, it's going to come to a head in the summer.""

Old
02-08-2012, 07:59 PM
dkollidas

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic school bus View Post
nice try, but you wouldn't trade him if Roy was that good.
It's not that Roy isn't that good, I just think he needs a change of scenery and the team needs a shakeup in the worst way, so Roy makes sense.

But what would Buffalo have to add to Pominville to get Pavelski? He's a captain with 65-75pt skills (will be over that this season). Is a great PK guy, can run the PP and is a clutch performer having scored series clinching goals etc.

Old
02-08-2012, 08:06 PM
Chaotic8
Boarding Major

vCash: 516
Quote:
It's not that Roy isn't that good, I just think he needs a change of scenery and the team needs a shakeup in the worst way, so Roy makes sense.

But what would Buffalo have to add to Pominville to get Pavelski? He's a captain with 65-75pt skills (will be over that this season). Is a great PK guy, can run the PP and is a clutch performer having scored series clinching goals etc.
The way the Sabres are playing against the Bruins, they seem to be doing alright at the moment.

Old
02-08-2012, 08:14 PM
SJeasy

Quote:

I don't think Pavelski solves the Sabres' issues. You lose in speed what you get in playmaking. Both are leaders. IMO, if Regier called DW for Pavelski, DW would put Regier over a barrel for more than Pavs is worth (Pominville+++). Pavs is not quite untouchable but pretty close to it. I do think that Roy should assume a second line role and if displeased should be moved. The Sabres need to search for a true 1st line center. Pavs is more a 1a/1b center, like the Sabres had with Drury/Briere.

Old
02-08-2012, 08:30 PM
Les Wynan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJeasy View Post
I don't think Pavelski solves the Sabres' issues. You lose in speed what you get in playmaking. Both are leaders. IMO, if Regier called DW for Pavelski, DW would put Regier over a barrel for more than Pavs is worth (Pominville+++). Pavs is not quite untouchable but pretty close to it. I do think that Roy should assume a second line role and if displeased should be moved. The Sabres need to search for a true 1st line center. Pavs is more a 1a/1b center, like the Sabres had with Drury/Briere.
Above all else, at least in my opinion, the Sabres need a tough-minutes center to relieve the defensive burden on Vanek and Roy and allow them to get tons of starts in the offensive zone against middling competition. There aren't many better tough-minutes centers in the NHL than Joe Pavelski and none of them are available (of course, neither is Pavs).

Old
02-08-2012, 10:28 PM
sjshrky27

I keep hearing the Sharks want another scoring forward. Seems to me they need to shore up there D...

Old
02-08-2012, 10:47 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjshrky27 View Post
I keep hearing the Sharks want another scoring forward. Seems to me they need to shore up there D...
We have both Demers and Boyle out. If Demers is in, it's fine.

Old
02-09-2012, 12:03 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilligans Island View Post
What's Grabner's asking price?
a 24 yr old core player ,making $1m and on pace for about 25 goals (after scoring 34 last season).

WHY would Grabner be available?

Old
02-09-2012, 12:05 AM
Inub0i
I will Q

I'd like to make all my Murray proposals null. Seeing White as a top pairing guy with Vlasic makes me wanna strangle a kitten and eat its head.

Old
02-09-2012, 12:15 AM
SactoShork
The Youth Movement

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
a 24 yr old core player ,making $1m and on pace for about 25 goals (after scoring 34 last season).

WHY would Grabner be available?
That's what I was asking when he was on waivers.

Closed Thread