HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rene Bourque OR Michael Cammalleri?

View Poll Results: Who would you rather be on the Habs?
Rene Bourque 219 81.72%
Michael Cammalleri 49 18.28%
Voters: 268. You may not vote on this poll

Old
02-08-2012, 10:31 PM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
for all we know, the rep he has isnt the we think he does...

it's two more years at SEVEN Mil...
Say what you want, but this league will recycle guys because of what they did some years ago.

Cammy in a sellers market where top 6 forwards are a rarity, signed for 2 more years, would've netted better. Of that I'm sure. The team just tried to save the season and get rid of someone who wasn't welcome anymore.

I'm not sure, all things considered, they could've legitimately kept him until the deadline, but that trade wasn't great value. Decent value.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleky Roks View Post
Sorry....but I'll take a hard working, physical 6'3 winger like Bourque over a soft, overpaid primadonna like Cammalleri anyday of the weak!!!
You tell me when we get that out of the Cammy deal.

Until then, I'll watch a soft, uninterested 6'2 winger like Bourque who has half his points by deflections off body parts.

Em Ancien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 10:55 PM
Nicko999

vCash: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Em Ancien View Post
Say what you want, but this league will recycle guys because of what they did some years ago.

Cammy in a sellers market where top 6 forwards are a rarity, signed for 2 more years, would've netted better. Of that I'm sure. The team just tried to save the season and get rid of someone who wasn't welcome anymore.

I'm not sure, all things considered, they could've legitimately kept him until the deadline, but that trade wasn't great value. Decent value.

Until then, I'll watch a soft, uninterested 6'2 winger like Bourque who has half his points by deflections off body parts.
Bourque scoring dirty goals is exactly why we traded for him... And he's not soft.

Nicko999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 10:58 PM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicko999 View Post
Bourque scoring dirty goals is exactly why we traded for him... And he's not soft.
Soft might've been a strong word.

Far from gritty better defines him.

Old
02-08-2012, 11:04 PM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:

except for the 6'2 part, sounds a lot like Cammy... other difference being the salary...

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 11:05 PM
le_sean

Quote:
He has more points with half the cap hit than the soft, uninterested 5'9 winger they got him for.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 11:15 PM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
except for the 6'2 part, sounds a lot like Cammy... other difference being the salary...
Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
He has more points with half the cap hit than the soft, uninterested 5'9 winger they got him for.
Not once did I say Cammy was worth keeping or doing better.

I said I strongly doubt we couldn't have gotten better in the coming weeks considering there's so few sellers/top 6 forwards available.

Old
02-08-2012, 11:37 PM
loudi94
Master of my Domain

vCash: 50
I think the other 2 years left on the deal was a hindrance for other teams to want to deal for Cammy, not an asset. If he was an impending UFA, a contender could have had the option to resign or cut him loose. This way, they're stuck with him.

loudi94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 11:46 PM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by loudi94 View Post
I think the other 2 years left on the deal was a hindrance for other teams to want to deal for Cammy, not an asset. If he was an impending UFA, a contender could have had the option to resign or cut him loose. This way, they're stuck with him.
Considering Cammy's rep and stuff like the Cogs deal to Anaheim, I'm not so sure.

Old
02-08-2012, 11:57 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Good thing we took on Bourque who has 4 years left on his deal.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 12:04 AM
Nicko999

vCash: 174
Quote:
Soft might've been a strong word.

Far from gritty better defines him.
Bourque has 62 hits compared to 11 for Cammalleri...
Cammy has more giveaways (28) than takeaways (16) while Bourque has more takeaways (27) than giveaways (23).

While Bourque is far from perfect, he is a hell of an upgrade over Cammy who wasn't producing... for cheaper.

Nicko999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 12:06 AM
OneSharpMarble

Quote:

Good idea, keep him longer so he can not score goals and drop his value. Or maybe get injured so we can't deal him at all. That is really smart gamble to maybe get a slightly better pick. That is called a "high risk low reward" move and most smart GMs tend to avoid them.

Bourques actually has some grit so it is already an improvement and he is out producing Cammy without riding Iginlas coattails, imagine that! Soft! That is a laugh, I remember him standing up just fine for himself in the washington game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
Good thing we took on Bourque who has 4 years left on his deal.
Heaven forbid we got a 25-30 goal scorer for 3.3 million, will the river of tears ever end?

OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 12:35 AM
Miller Time

don't particularly care for Bourque, not a bad player but not much of an impact except for the odd burst of production he puts together from time to time.

similar to Kost in that regard, though I like Kost's "unproductive" game much more than Bourque's, he at least uses his size to play physical in most games. Bourque tends to float a lot more.

I think if Bourque's name was bourquov, he would be the target of a lot of abuse/stereotyping... plays the game exactly like the "soft euro" label implies despite his relatively large frame.

that said, I much prefer having him @ 3.3M$, than Cammy @ 6M$

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 12:45 AM
Et le But

Bourque is far from perfect but he earns his contract far more than Cammy did for the past 2 years.

Bourque isn't particularly committed and he doesn't play a smart game but he can do a little of everything. Hardly the worst guy to have out there. Doesn't seem to have the attitude issues either, though I could be wrong there. Low maintenance 20 goal scorers who go to the net hard and sometimes hit don't grow on trees. I'd take Kostitsyn over him easily but that's not the question.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 01:11 AM
FlyingKostitsyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
I think if Bourque's name was bourquov, he would be the target of a lot of abuse/stereotyping... plays the game exactly like the "soft euro" label implies despite his relatively large frame.
I sometimes wonder what people would think if Kostitsyn's name was Keith MacGregor instead. Good olde Canadian boy from Saskatchewan that hits like a freight train?

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 01:26 AM
Miller Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingKostitsyn View Post
I sometimes wonder what people would think if Kostitsyn's name was Keith MacGregor instead. Good olde Canadian boy from Saskatchewan that hits like a freight train?
what is there to wonder about?

in the past 2 years, at 1.75-1.25M$ less of a caphit, Kost has produced offensively almost identical to Gionta.

now I know the little guy brings "intangibles", and is the better pure goal scorer, but the clearly greater negative comments directed to Kost over Gionta highlights the double standard, and the inherent prejudice many fans feel towards foreign (especially slavic) players.

Some of the same people who try to argue that Gionta isn't overpaid, that it's just market value, will persist til their blue in the face that there is NO WAY Kost get a penny over 4M$, and that if he does, it's a travesty.

pure b.s.

Kost is a solid asset, especially at his cap hit. If he hits UFA, he'll score a pretty sizeable contract, and will lose his "value" status, but even then, there is still the possibility that he achieves a bit of a breakthrough in the next 1-3 years and progresses from a 45-50pt guy to a 60+ guy...

i hope we manage to lock him up for a few years at or around 4M$, theres a better chance he takes a step forward than that he takes a step back, imo.

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 01:33 AM
Et le But

I don't see Kostitsyn ever "breaking out" and magically turning into a PPG player but he's not necessarily seen his peaks yet either. I think he could still potentially get 30 goals at some point, I wouldn't expect much more than that but I really hope he returns, he has produced with every C except Gomez.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 02:38 AM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:

I said I strongly doubt we couldn't have gotten better in the coming weeks considering there's so few sellers/top 6 forwards available.
Cammy is on pace for a "Gomez like" season...

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 02:40 AM
Markowicz
Simple Jacques

Quote:
And that's why it was so clearly a loss in the trade for the Flames. And man, am i getting sick and tired of hearing about what Gauthier could have gotten for the players he's traded. Just let it go. I feel like no matter how good Eller and Bourque do here, we'll always hear about what we could have gotten, because a few GM's didn't know the players were available, bla bla bla. I know he's an unlikable guy, but besides the Kaberle deal, he's made some good deals.

Markowicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 02:48 AM
Markowicz
Simple Jacques

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
I don't see Kostitsyn ever "breaking out" and magically turning into a PPG player but he's not necessarily seen his peaks yet either. I think he could still potentially get 30 goals at some point, I wouldn't expect much more than that but I really hope he returns, he has produced with every C except Gomez.
Kostitsyn has still yet to play a whole season with a top center. Until that happens, I don't see why you would trade him. To replace him with who? Another winger that can't produce because of the same problem? There's a reason everyone seems to play well with Desharnais; he's the closest thing we have to a top shelf center. Eller may get there one day, and Plekanec is what he is, a decent second line center.

If I'm management this year, I trade Moen, Campoli and maybe Gill at the deadline. Gomez you send to the minors next year. Plekanec you try to deal over the next year or two for a veteran defensive D, someone like Hamrlik but younger. Draft a top line center and pray he pans out. That's the plan.

Markowicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 03:01 AM
Toro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markowicz View Post
Kostitsyn has still yet to play a whole season with a top center. Until that happens, I don't see why you would trade him. To replace him with who? Another winger that can't produce because of the same problem? There's a reason everyone seems to play well with Desharnais; he's the closest thing we have to a top shelf center. Eller may get there one day, and Plekanec is what he is, a decent second line center.

If I'm management this year, I trade Moen, Campoli and maybe Gill at the deadline. Draft a top line center and pray he pans out. That's the plan.
this...

Also Bourque trade was won by the Habs for all the posted reasons it's abundantly clear now.

The prospect and 2nd rounder tip the scales dramatically

Toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 03:12 AM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

vCash: 1707
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
Heaven forbid we got a 25-30 goal scorer for 3.3 million, will the river of tears ever end?
hahahah!

no

MasterDecoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 05:49 AM
HCH

Quote:

It's pretty hard to judge a trade on what might have been. No one knows what might have been, it could have been better and it could have been worse. Who knows?
What we can judge a trade on is the results. Did we give up more than gained, did we break even or did we gain more than we lost.

In this case, it is pretty hard to say that we gave up more than we gained. At least so far, this trade has been far from a bad one for the Habs. That is judging the trade on its merits rather than on what might or might not have happened.

HCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 08:00 AM
MTL-rules

Neither ?

I would have prefered a 1st round pick than Bourque...

MTL-rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 08:27 AM
la25ecoupe

46 - 14 - 27

do it for a full game!!!

la25ecoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 08:37 AM
llamateizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTL-rules View Post
Neither ?

I would have prefered a 1st round pick than Bourque...
1- Calgary would've not been under salary cap. They are 2.5 millions over the cap without Bourque. (saved by IR)
2- Why Calgary wouldve traded a 1st for Cammy + having Bourque with their team. Cammy's cap is bad enough to not be a 2nd round pick

llamateizer is offline   Reply With Quote