HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

jofa elbow

Old
02-04-2012, 12:19 PM
ALF AmericanLionsFan

vCash: 500
jofa elbow

trying to hunt down a pair of size fives anywhere to look? I check ebay everyday and know it will be hard to find. Just curious if anyone else has some ideas. Thanks

ALF AmericanLionsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 01:01 PM
AIREAYE

Keep checking ebay. That's it unfortunately.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 01:26 PM
El Tigre Chino

I have a pair of pretty new 7k pro size 5 elbows. I'm still debating if I should keep them or sell them for a pretty penny. Got them for $65 so I'd be making a good profit.

El Tigre Chino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 06:59 PM
ALF AmericanLionsFan

Any photos of those 7k? What are you looking for them? Yeah, I figured ebay would be the only real place. Hoping some old hockey shops are clearing out old boxes and come across some.

Old
02-05-2012, 08:23 AM
backhander

good luck...i like my jofa equipment. found the same pair of jofa shinguards on ebay and bought them to keep until my others go out.

backhander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 10:37 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I found mine at a play it again sports. I literally went to 8-10 of them in a weekend. New in the bag for $30.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 10:32 PM
El Tigre Chino

I think I'm just going to put them on ebay and see how much I can get for them. With that money I can get a new set of gear.

Old
02-07-2012, 10:35 PM
dwreckm

What's so special about them? They look just like the ones I have, only I paid much less for them...

dwreckm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 10:51 PM
IDuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwreckm View Post
What's so special about them? They look just like the ones I have, only I paid much less for them...
not sure...i have those and (have had for like 4 years, which i just realized might be why they are like) but im tired of them, they are to big...i want the one that are just like that but they dont have the piece that goes around the bicept...and also i saw like 3 pairs of those the other day at my local play it again

IDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 03:03 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

They have tons of protection, are super comfortable, and never move around. As basic yet as effective as anything ever made. Most retail pads have crappy hinge design or gaps in protection. The Jofas wrap pretty much your whole forearm.

Old
02-08-2012, 03:17 PM
dwreckm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
They have tons of protection, are super comfortable, and never move around. As basic yet as effective as anything ever made. Most retail pads have crappy hinge design or gaps in protection. The Jofas wrap pretty much your whole forearm.
Now I'm intrigued. I've gotten a few welts/bruises/red spots from attempt to catch a flying puck, and it hits the underside of my forearm instead of me catching it in my glove.

dwreckm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 03:29 PM
ponder

Quote:
What's the sizing like? I'm can generally fit both medium and large elbows in most brands, am I right to think I'd probably be a size 5 in Jofa elbows?

ponder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 04:19 PM
ALF AmericanLionsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookie Magic View Post

I think I'm just going to put them on ebay and see how much I can get for them. With that money I can get a new set of gear.
pm sent

Old
02-08-2012, 05:01 PM
El Tigre Chino

It's a pretty comfy and beefy elbow. Dunno how they feel on the ice since I'm trying to keep them in good condition. If the selling price wasn't so absurd I would definitely keep them but I need shoulders, shins and elbows and what I would get for the elbows would cover that cost.

Old
02-08-2012, 05:13 PM
ponder

Quote:
It's a pretty comfy and beefy elbow. Dunno how they feel on the ice since I'm trying to keep them in good condition. If the selling price wasn't so absurd I would definitely keep them but I need shoulders, shins and elbows and what I would get for the elbows would cover that cost.
What do you consider "so absurd"? Looking on ebay there are similar Jofa elbows selling from $80-100 for one pair ($80 starting bid, $100 buy it now), or $120-150 for two pairs ($120 starting bid, $150 buy it now).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/JOFA-8K-Sz-7...ht_8919wt_1270
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-PACK-JOFA-...ht_8957wt_1270

There's also a pair of game used elbows that are currently at a bid of $40:
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/NHL-Game-Used...f#ht_1082wt_66

Seems like you might get around $100 for yours, based on these prices?

Old
02-08-2012, 05:23 PM
AIREAYE

That pair of Moller 7Ks are in Small? Talk about rare...

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 06:12 PM
vapor11

Don't see what is so special..Besides a few cosmetic changes and a strap in the middle they are similar to my 10-15 year old Eastons

You would think for marketing/advertising reasons Jofa would have been phazed out of NHL use

vapor11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 09:22 PM
El Tigre Chino

I've seen them go for $200+ so that's what I'm hoping to get. The ones listed are size 7 (L-XL) and the ones I have are size 5 (M) which fits a lot more people. Plus those look like retail ones whereas the one I have is a pro stock elbow which I think has a different lining and material. All it takes is one person willing to pay that price and I'll get what I want.

Old
02-08-2012, 09:55 PM
ponder

Quote:
I've seen them go for $200+ so that's what I'm hoping to get. The ones listed are size 7 (L-XL) and the ones I have are size 5 (M) which fits a lot more people. Plus those look like retail ones whereas the one I have is a pro stock elbow which I think has a different lining and material. All it takes is one person willing to pay that price and I'll get what I want.
I'm not sure if there's much of a difference between the old/Jofa 8Ks and old/Jofa 7K pros, I think the pros are not real pro stocks, but more of a retail model labelled "pro," like the "Bauer X60 pro" gloves for example (could be wrong on that). You definitely have a good point re: the size though, the others being a size 7 would bring down the price for sure.

Old
02-08-2012, 11:20 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

The pro elbows run large. I'm usually a size large because of Popeye forearms but I think I was a size 5 in 7k Pros (the writing is worn off now). The retail RBK/Jofa pads in size 5 were too small on me. From what I recall, the 7k/8k Pros basically wrap around your entire arm, or your arm slides into it, and there's almost 100% coverage. The 6k and other retail elbow pads more sat on the arm.

7k Pro = Jofa 9044

8k Pro = Jofa 9077 (same thing with extended cuff protection for super tall players):

Older RBK retail elbow pads (not 100% on the diff but they ran smaller and I think had less protection and coverage, still basically Jofas):

New Reebok KFS elbow pads (far less coverage, run smaller, have that stupid elbow tab that drastically limits mobility):

Last edited by Jarick: 02-08-2012 at 11:27 PM.
Old
02-09-2012, 03:26 PM
ALF AmericanLionsFan

man need to find a pair

Old
02-09-2012, 04:00 PM
ponder

Thanks for that Jarick. I wonder if I could fit in those size 4 Oscar Moller pro elbows, I tend to like them on the tighter side, and I'm actually pretty much the same size as Moller (hockeydb lists him as 5'11" and 182 lbs, while I'm 6' and 180 lbs). Normally a small would be too small for me, I prefer mediums, but if they tend to run large they might work.
Quote:
New Reebok KFS elbow pads (far less coverage, run smaller, have that stupid elbow tab that drastically limits mobility):

Agreed, hate that little tab. Tried on some KFS elbows, they seem decent except that you can't get your elbow anywhere close to straight, it's ridiculous. Terrible design that kills the pad IMO.

Old
02-09-2012, 04:42 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Might be worth a shot so long as it's not too pricey.

For reference, I was wearing Bauer One55 in large and they fit fine while the Jofas in size 5 are just a hair big.

I'm 5'8 200 but have giant forearms. Everything else I'm in mediums.

Also the longer forearm means that you will have to be wary of cuff length on the gloves. I alternate between 12" TPS 4-rolls and 13" Warrior Koncepts and with 13" gloves I have to make sure the elbows are pushed back a bit otherwise they will smack into each other. Again, probably a function of being short. At 6' you probably won't have an issue unless you rock Ryan Smyth pro stocks or something.

Old
02-10-2012, 04:00 PM
ALF AmericanLionsFan

snagged a new pair of 7k pros for 140 I see another pair of 8k pro (brand new)on there for 180
http://www.ebay.com/itm/PRO-STOCK-JO...item61cdb44097

Old
02-10-2012, 05:28 PM
ponder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALF AmericanLionsFan View Post
snagged a new pair of 7k pros for 140 I see another pair of 8k pro (brand new)on there for 180
http://www.ebay.com/itm/PRO-STOCK-JO...item61cdb44097
Congrats! Let us know what you think of them once they arrive and you wear them in game.