HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Paajarvi Recalled

Old
02-08-2012, 01:26 PM
SometimesY

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro Points View Post
Here ... let me fix things for you:

Smyth-Horcoff-Jones
Hall-Gagner-Eberle
Eager-Belanger-Petrell
Paajarvi-Lander-Hemsky

Ego boost to everyone except Hemsky
Hmm, just switch the third and fourth lines and you're on to something.

SometimesY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 01:34 PM
Petro Points

vCash: 885
Quote:
Originally Posted by SometimesY View Post
Hmm, just switch the third and fourth lines and you're on to something.
nah we dont want to hurt the egos of Belanger, Eager and eventually Tambellini since he is the one who signed the 2.

Petro Points is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 01:46 PM
Rawg
CEM

Quote:
Here ... let me fix things for you:

Smyth-Horcoff-Jones
Hall-Gagner-Eberle
Eager-Belanger-Petrell
Paajarvi-Lander-Hemsky

Ego boost to everyone except Hemsky
Quote:
nah we dont want to hurt the egos of Belanger, Eager and eventually Tambellini since he is the one who signed the 2.
24 points -24, 10 goals
31 points, -27 6 goals

Both garbage lines

Rawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 04:16 PM
Ranfordrocks

look at when prv was playing well last year the line of prv,gags,omark when omark was up start of the season they nvr played that line. keep him in ahl until omark is heathly call them both up

Ranfordrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 04:29 PM
Njoy Oilers

It seems alot of tweeners are getting a shot from OKC. keller's name hasn't popped up has it? I'm not familiar with his game outside the fact he seems to always be at the top of his teams scoring stats. Guess I'll get a look see tomorrow at the hump dome.

Njoy Oilers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 09:29 PM
CBOiler

I was very impressed with MPS tonight. First time ive seen him drive to the net like that since last year. Are we finally seeing a glimmer of hope?

CBOiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 09:39 PM
Qrispy

Played with Horcoff and didn't look too bad. That's gotta mean something.

Qrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 11:30 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBOiler View Post
I was very impressed with MPS tonight. First time ive seen him drive to the net like that since last year. Are we finally seeing a glimmer of hope?
I like the play and it was good for him to drive the net on the 2nd Gagner goal but again, like you say, where has that been all year?

Replacement is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 11:41 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
I like the play and it was good for him to drive the net on the 2nd Gagner goal but again, like you say, where has that been all year?
The same can be said of Gagner's confidence minus a small handful of games prior to this amazing 4-5 game stretch he's been on. It really doesn't matter as long as it's here and more importantly stays here (Gagner seems to be well on track to build off of it and take that next step). If he can build off of tonight, maybe...... just maybe we might see him start to show confidence and show us why many of us were/are high on his potential.

02-08-2012, 11:43 PM
Soundwave

Quote:
Renney has mismanaged Gagner, MPS, and Omark.

He needed to nurture their offensive confidence, they are much more fragile than Hall/Eberle/RNH.

Doing stuff like demoting Omark after only 5 games (why? so we could force feed our "veterans" even more minutes?) was incredibly short sighted.

If RNH hadn't gotten hurt, it's quite possible Gagner wouldn't have broken out period, because he never would've gotten to play with Hall and Eberle.

Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 11:49 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
The same can be said of Gagner's confidence minus a small handful of games prior to this amazing 4-5 game stretch he's been on. It really doesn't matter as long as it's here and more importantly stays here (Gagner seems to be well on track to build off of it and take that next step). If he can build off of tonight, maybe...... just maybe we might see him start to show confidence and show us why many of us were/are high on his potential.
Gagner had 20pts in the 30 games prior to his 8pt explosion. Gagner wasn't being invisible either when he was struggling earlier in the season and he was obviously playing at less than 100% recovering from injury.

I give Paajarvi credit for pushing the assist on this one but its no mystery he hasn't been bringing it anywhere near the net.

But in general, and with all players, its a mystery when players here go on cold streaks where they don't take it to the net. Because in this org theres been two decades of coaching that tells players to take it to the net.

When in doubt, bring it to the net, good things happen.

I don't always buy the excuses. Sometimes its the players being unmotivated for whatever reason.

Old
02-08-2012, 11:51 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post

He needed to nurture their offensive confidence, they are much more fragile than Hall/Eberle/RNH.

Doing stuff like demoting Omark after only 5 games (why? so we could force feed our "veterans" even more minutes?) was incredibly short sighted.

If RNH hadn't gotten hurt, it's quite possible Gagner wouldn't have broken out period, because he never would've gotten to play with Hall and Eberle.
Not playing with Omark is the best thing thats happened to Gagner in years. Lets not even go there.

Old
02-08-2012, 11:56 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Gagner had 20pts in the 30 games prior to his 8pt explosion. Gagner wasn't being invisible either when he was struggling earlier in the season and he was obviously playing at less than 100% recovering from injury.

I give Paajarvi credit for pushing the assist on this one but its no mystery he hasn't been bringing it anywhere near the net.

But in general, and with all players, its a mystery when players here go on cold streaks where they don't take it to the net. Because in this org theres been two decades of coaching that tells players to take it to the net.

When in doubt, bring it to the net, good things happen.

I don't always buy the excuses. Sometimes its the players being unmotivated for whatever reason.
Gagner had a few big games with RNH and Eberle to help pad those stats, not that he didn't earn them or anything, but that was the most confidence that I have seen from him minus this insane stretch in a long, long time. Are you honestly going to tell me that this Gagner = the Gagner prior to this stretch and the Gagner that had a few big games with RNH and Ebs? I know that you like the player, but it's night and day.

Paajarvi lost confidence and on top of that played timid, IMO there is plenty of blame to go around, from the player himself, to the coach, to Belanger, there's tons of reasons that his production is garbage. However if he leaves that behind him I won't care what the cause was, same for Gagner, if he becomes the player that I hoped that he'd be when he broke in, I won't care about why it took him this long to take the next step, I will just be pleased that he took it, and most importantly did it here

Bryanbryoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 11:56 PM
dobiezeke*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post

Renney has given Gagner the opportunity to play with Hall/Eberle. This after watching him work his way through early season struggles. RNH wasn't playing with Eberle and Hall prior to his injury.

If Gagner hits the 50 point mark will you say it is in spite of Renney giving him the chance to play on the first line?

dobiezeke* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 11:58 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Not playing with Omark is the best thing thats happened to Gagner in years. Lets not even go there.
I'd actually play Omark and Paajarvi with RNH.

Hall-Gagner-Eberle
Omark-RNH-Paajarvi
Smyth-Horcoff-Jones
Eager-Belanger-Lander/Petrell

Goodbye Hemsky.

Old
02-08-2012, 11:59 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobiezeke View Post
Renney has given Gagner the opportunity to play with Hall/Eberle. This after watching him work his way through early season struggles. RNH wasn't playing with Eberle and Hall prior to his injury.

If Gagner hits the 50 point mark will you say it is in spite of Renney giving him the chance to play on the first line?
Gagner spent his fair share of time with Belanger too, he wasn't in the top 6 all year.

Old
02-09-2012, 12:06 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
I'd actually play Omark and Paajarvi with RNH.
Hall-Gagner-Eberle
Omark-RNH-Paajarvi
Smyth-Horcoff-Jones
Eager-Belanger-Lander/Petrell

Goodbye Hemsky.
The bolded would be a huge mistake. Thats putting way too much on a young RNH. Not even fair. Theres not nearly enough compete level in those two Swedes to warrant that.
Really I'd almost call it cruelty subjecting RNH to that.

Not now. Paajarvi and Omark have to develop more of a game in their own rights before we try something like that. Plus its only fair that RNH gets more time before strapping that on his back. It would be too much.

The Hemsky part I can probably agree with. I'd like Omark more with some vets like Smyth and Horcoff. I think that could be interesting if he could fit in there and replace Hemsky.

Old
02-09-2012, 12:08 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Gagner spent his fair share of time with Belanger too, he wasn't in the top 6 all year.
Yep.

If Gagner didn't spend the first 15-20 games playing bottom six he'd get 60pts this season.

Old
02-09-2012, 12:11 AM
Oilmageddon*
What are you hearing

Quote:
Here is the centers and what they are doing this year http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats.h...ewName=summary look at the players he is behind and ahead of http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats.h...e=summary&pg=2 All us Gagner backers were insistant he would improve and guess what we were right

Oilmageddon* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 12:17 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilmageddon View Post
Here is the centers and what they are doing this year http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats.h...ewName=summary look at the players he is behind and ahead of http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats.h...e=summary&pg=2 All us Gagner backers were insistant he would improve and guess what we were right
Of course we were. It was never in doubt. I'm not sure how somebody could watch Gagner all these years and not see a valuable player there. Even a modicum of improvement in his play was going to result in a pretty useful player. With the upside of being a potential star.

Old
02-09-2012, 12:20 AM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilmageddon View Post
Hopefully he can keep it up. Sooner or later the bounces won't go his way again, that will be his last hurdle on his way to being a much improved player, if he clears it we are in good shape moving forward down the middle. I'd still like to add some size down the middle, a big/physical 3C would be just the ticket.

Old
02-09-2012, 12:30 AM
Qrispy

Quote:
The bolded would be a huge mistake. Thats putting way too much on a young RNH. Not even fair. Theres not nearly enough compete level in those two Swedes to warrant that.
Really I'd almost call it cruelty subjecting RNH to that.

Not now. Paajarvi and Omark have to develop more of a game in their own rights before we try something like that. Plus its only fair that RNH gets more time before strapping that on his back. It would be too much.

The Hemsky part I can probably agree with. I'd like Omark more with some vets like Smyth and Horcoff. I think that could be interesting if he could fit in there and replace Hemsky.
wtf...I don't even...

Qrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 12:31 AM
Oilmageddon*
What are you hearing

Quote:
Hopefully he can keep it up. Sooner or later the bounces won't go his way again, that will be his last hurdle on his way to being a much improved player, if he clears it we are in good shape moving forward down the middle. I'd still like to add some size down the middle, a big/physical 3C would be just the ticket.
We did argue his dad took that big step in his 5th season and he was 24 and we did argue genetics do play a role he is on pace for 59 pts with missing 7 games solid 2nd line c stats and if you look at some of the number 1s in the League he is ahead of them as well 30 teams he sits 25 for centers, we argued he would become a 60 pt center, the counter argument was he could not improve because for 4 years he never progressed. I see him 60 pts plus for the next 5/6 years barring injury.

Oilmageddon* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 12:38 AM
canovin
Klefbom's charm

If MPS adds 10-15lbs of muscles and play the way he played tonight, he will be here to stay.

canovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 12:38 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boco View Post
wtf...I don't even...
Ask yourself why on Earth we'd put RNH, one of the best pure passers in the game today with Omark, who has 5NHL goals, and Paajarv, who hasn't scored a goal since April?

This would not only be an absolute waste of RNH it would be a demoralizing and overwhelming assignment. Like it was for Gagner last season. WAY too much inexperience and lack of support on that line.

Its one thing to put 3 stellar kids like Hall, Eberle, RNH together. Those kids can swim. But to expect RNH on his own to be able to row hard with deadweights late Omark and Paajarvi is taking the cake.