HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Anaheim Ducks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Quacks vs Red Swirly Things (7:00 PM PST)

Old
02-09-2012, 12:20 AM
swissexpert

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourn View Post
The problem is, offensively, that's pretty much all he has. His offensive toolbox is not that big. He's not the most creative with the puck, his quickness leaves a bit to be desired, and his shot misses the net more often than not.
A good shot and nice passing is all it needs right now to be a valuable replacement for Fowler at the PP blueline, IMO.

I don't think his offensively ceiling is as high as Cam's, but I'd simply go with the hotter hand right now.
last 20 games: 3G ,9A, +3, while Fowler was 0G, 3A, -7, not to mention he plays more minutes and almost every PP.

swissexpert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 12:24 AM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by swissexpert View Post
A good shot and nice passing is all it needs right now to be a valuable replacement for Fowler at the PP blueline, IMO.

I don't think his offensively ceiling is as high as Cam's, but I'd simply go with the hotter hand right now.
last 20 games: 3G ,9A, +3, while Fowler was 0G, 3A, -7, not to mention he plays more minutes and almost every PP.
I think if it were that simple, then Boudreau already would have replaced him on the PP.

Sojourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 12:28 AM
swissexpert

Quote:
Uh... Occupy... you do realize that Sbisa's jump in production came when Boudreau put him with Visnovsky, right?

I think Sbisa has been great, but to ignore that fact would be silly. Visnovsky is the team's top offensive defenseman, and he's the one who generates most of the offense from the backend. Beauchemin, I love the guy, but he's not much of an offensive threat. Fowler is the guy who has to generate offense from the backend on that pairing. The situations are pretty different.
Sorry, but I think it's even the opposite. Vis isn't a rock defensively, so Sbisa plays the defensive part of this pairing while Fowler can jump into offense and rely on a rock solid Beauchemin.

That said, I hate the discussion Fowler vs. Sbisa, because both are great young players and I hope they'll be a big part of the future Ducks.

Old
02-09-2012, 12:30 AM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

Quote:
Sorry, but I think it's even the opposite. Vis isn't rock defensively, so Sbisa plays the defensive part of this pairing while Fowler can jump into offense and rely on a rock solid Beauchemin.
That's actually not what I said at all.

Edit: I didn't say playing with Visnovsky lets Sbisa play a more offensive role. I said playing with Visnovsky has helped Sbisa's production, and it clearly has.

Old
02-09-2012, 12:34 AM
duckaroosky
So sayeth Duckthulu

I just hope we don't get nobbed when we okay them again at the end of the month to make up for that **** noncall

duckaroosky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 12:35 AM
KEEROLE Vatanen
Always positive

Quote:
Uh... Occupy... you do realize that Sbisa's jump in production came when Boudreau put him with Visnovsky, right?

I think Sbisa has been great, but to ignore that fact would be silly. Visnovsky is the team's top offensive defenseman, and he's the one who generates most of the offense from the backend. Beauchemin, I love the guy, but he's not much of an offensive threat. Fowler is the guy who has to generate offense from the backend on that pairing. The situations are pretty different.
So you're crediting Visnovsky? the guy everyone here seems to want to trade? Sbisa is the one having to carry the pair defensively, which he's doing infact I do somewhat agree, and i'd like to see them both on the top PP unit. We need someone to SHOOT on the PP! Sbisa is getting more shots in position for tips, SOg etc

KEEROLE Vatanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 12:39 AM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySheen View Post
So you're crediting Visnovsky? the guy everyone here seems to want to trade? Sbisa is the one having to carry the pair defensively, which he's doing infact I do somewhat agree, and i'd like to see them both on the top PP unit. We need someone to SHOOT on the PP! Sbisa is getting more shots in position for tips, SOg etc
(sigh) I'm saying that playing with Visnovsky has more than likely improved Sbisa's offensive production. Sbisa has definitely done his part on that, and I think he's turned a corner as a player, but playing with one of the best offensive defensemen in the league is going to play a part.

Sbisa is definitely doing the grunt work in the defensive end, but that isn't the point. You were discussing Sbisa's offensive production, not his capabilities in the defensive end. Lubo is the one who does most of the puck movement(at least when the puck isn't just dumped in), and he's the one who creates the majority of the offense on that pairing. We're talking about one of the top offensive defensemen in the league, dude. It's what he does.

Old
02-09-2012, 12:39 AM
swissexpert

Quote:
I said playing with Visnovsky has helped Sbisa's production, and it clearly has.
you are now comparing 12 mins a night on 3rd pairing behind Gogs, DSP, Blake to 18min a night behind Selanne and Koivu. THAT's the main reason for his rise.
Another reason is the coach. While Carlyle told him to not risk anything and ne ver join the rush, Boudreau gives him some space and time.

PS: Filip Kuba is having a beyond average production while playing with the best off.D in the league.

Last edited by swissexpert: 02-09-2012 at 12:51 AM.
Old
02-09-2012, 12:42 AM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

Quote:
you are now comparing 12 mins a night on 3rd pairing behind Gogs, DSP, Blake to 18min a night behind Selanne and Koivu. THAT's the main reason for his rise.
I'm sure that plays a part too. A defenseman is definitely going to be impacted by the players he's on the ice with. Whether it's his defensive partner, or the forwards.

Old
02-09-2012, 01:12 AM
Ducks DVM
There is no grunion

8 points out of the playoffs.....

Ducks DVM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 01:13 AM
duckaroosky
So sayeth Duckthulu

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckaroosky View Post
I just hope we don't get nobbed when we okay them again at the end of the month to make up for that **** noncall
NOBBED

*jobbed

Old
02-09-2012, 01:18 AM
kducks
Duck Off

Quote:
Quote:
NOBBED

*jobbed
You still missed the best part...when we okay them again?

kducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 01:25 AM
swissexpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducks DVM View Post
8 points out of the playoffs.....
Lets take a look at it with the W-L record. Currently 8th, the Wild are 25-20, so +5.
This projects to a +8 at the end of the season which is good for 90pts.
The Ducks are -3 right now, but would need a +8 to make post season. So all they have to do is to go +11 for the remaining games. With 29 games left, most likely options are 18-7-4 or 19-8-2.
Possible? Yes Likely? Not at all, especially with 18 games being on the road.

Old
02-09-2012, 01:28 AM
duckaroosky
So sayeth Duckthulu

Quote:
Originally Posted by kducks View Post
You still missed the best part...when we okay them again?
I swear I'm not drunk... I meant to say "I just hope we don't get jobbed when we play them again at the end of the month..."

Old
02-09-2012, 01:39 AM
Ducks DVM
There is no grunion

Quote:
Lets take a look at it with the W-L record. Currently 8th, the Wild are 25-20, so +5.
This projects to a +8 at the end of the season which is good for 90pts.
The Ducks are -3 right now, but would need a +8 to make post season. So all they have to do is to go +11 for the remaining games. With 29 games left, most likely options are 18-7-4 or 19-8-2.
Possible? Yes Likely? Not at all, especially with 18 games being on the road.
I post how far out they are after pretty much every game.

Old
02-09-2012, 01:54 AM
KEEROLE Vatanen
Always positive

I feel like alot of these road games are very winnable..if we can grab that first one in Detroit it can turn into a big one. ".500" won't cut it, that's only 8 points. we probably need atleast 10 minimum but most likely 12 or more

Minnesota-Winnable, arguably must win
Florida-Winnable
Tampa-Winnable
Carolina-Winnable
CBJ-Winnable

if we could somehow beat 1 of those 5, and win one against the stiffer competition Anaheim is then in good position due to all the conference games coming up.

Only 1 b2b, so no having to rely on backup goaltending, this is the most important stretch of Jonas Hillers career IMO.

Old
02-09-2012, 01:56 AM
KEEROLE Vatanen
Always positive

ERR not 1 of those 5, all of those 5.

Old
02-09-2012, 01:56 AM
DuckJet
Poster of the Year

vCash: 69
So...Anaheim's record when DuckJet makes the GDT: 1-0-0

Perfect record so far.

DuckJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 01:58 AM
Ducks DVM
There is no grunion

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckJet View Post
So...Anaheim's record when DuckJet makes the GDT: 1-0-0

Perfect record so far.
jinx post?

Old
02-09-2012, 02:06 AM
JabbaJabba

Ugly win really. A lot of ugly goals so I guess it fits.

Hagman is being wasted on the 4th line and Beleskey shouldn't be in top 6.

Good game for Hiller.

JabbaJabba is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 02:10 AM
Ducks DVM
There is no grunion

I commented on that at the game tonight. The best thing about Hagman on the 4th line? When the two 4th lines match up he is BY FAR the best player on the ice. Unlucky to get the crossbar on that great toe drag move tonight.

Old
02-09-2012, 02:18 AM
DuckJet
Poster of the Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySheen View Post
I feel like alot of these road games are very winnable..if we can grab that first one in Detroit it can turn into a big one. ".500" won't cut it, that's only 8 points. we probably need atleast 10 minimum but most likely 12 or more

Minnesota-Winnable, arguably must win
Florida-Winnable >underrating Florida this year
Tampa-Winnable
Carolina-Winnable
CBJ-Winnable > they beat us in OT. Anything is possible.

if we could somehow beat 1 of those 5, and win one against the stiffer competition Anaheim is then in good position due to all the conference games coming up.

Only 1 b2b, so no having to rely on backup goaltending, this is the most important stretch of Jonas Hillers career IMO.
How is winning only one out of 5 games going to put us in a good position? The teams you listed? Those games have to be slam dunk wins. Even if I'm being generous we can't afford more than 8 more losses.

Red Wings
Penguins
Devils
Blackhawks
Flames
Kings
Blues
Stars
Red Wings
Kings
Predators
Sharks
Bruins
Sharks
Yotes (not exactly tough, but by March 31st, they'll be hard-pressed to eek their way into the post-season. They'll fight us hard)
Canucks
Flames (probably the same with the Yotes)

People keep citing 8 point out like time will stand still in the rest of the conference and all we have to do is win 4 games and we're back in the picture. The fact is, it's as unlikely that we'll make it in as it was a month ago. The Ducks are going to have to be PERFECT. Hiller can't get tired, which he will at some point. Look at that schedule! Two against one of the West's best in Detroit. Two against the Predators who have had our number the last few years. Two against Dallas who have had our number all year. Two against the Sharks who will try to get as high as they can in the standings. One against the Blackhawks. A few against the Kings who will desperately try to hang onto their playoff spot...it's not as easy as looking at a streak, then at total points and saying, OH WE'RE ALMOST THERE! THE SEASON IS SAVED!

I don't know. October-December turned me into a pessimist about the rest of the year. But I'm being real here. No sense getting excited cause we're 8 points out. You get your hopes up, and it hurts more when those hopes are let down. Realistically, it's going to be VERY difficult.

Old
02-09-2012, 02:21 AM
DuckJet
Poster of the Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducks DVM View Post
jinx post?
We'll have to see. Maybe I can be a lucky charm and the impossible becomes more possible.

Old
02-09-2012, 02:22 AM
Jerky Leclerc

From the remaining 29 games, the Ducks need to go 20-5-4 to get 44 more pts and reach 94 pts. This road trip will decide if we are going to make it.

Jerky Leclerc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 02:31 AM
Ducks DVM
There is no grunion

Just watched the replay of the game and it looked like Perry took a pretty good slash on his hands the trip down the ice prior to when he scored (same shift, away from the puck). Have to wonder if that was a makeup non-call on his trip.