HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Notices

Z back on Datsyuk's wing

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-12-2006, 11:23 AM
  #1
Higgy4
Registered User
 
Higgy4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Toledo, Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 7,548
vCash: 500
Z back on Datsyuk's wing

Let the crying begin...


Henrik Zetterberg - W - Red Wings


Henrik Zetterberg will lineup on the wing tonight with Pavel Datsyuk as his center,
Coach Mike Babcock is switching his lines up once again. This move will allow Robert Lang to return to center in tonight's game against Philadelphia. We have three quality centers," Babcock said. "I've got room for two of them. And the guy who plays on the wall the best is Hank. So even though he was playing great down the middle, that's what we're doing." Jan. 12 - 6:49 am et
Source: Detroit Free Press

Higgy4 is offline  
Old
01-12-2006, 11:31 AM
  #2
GuloGulo
Registered User
 
GuloGulo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: trunkofacamaro
Country: Bahrain
Posts: 3,713
vCash: 500
It had to be done, otherwise Lang would've been a 4 million dollar hangaround. This HAS worked in the past and Babs must utilize the resources properly. Until we replace Lang there's no alternative imo.

GuloGulo is offline  
Old
01-12-2006, 11:35 AM
  #3
sarcastro
Moderator
 
sarcastro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 12,240
vCash: 50
"And the guy who plays on the wall the best is Hank"

Translation - Lang has been terrible and we think he might be dogging it because he wants to play center, but Z produces wherever you put him.

sarcastro is offline  
Old
01-12-2006, 11:37 AM
  #4
Higgy4
Registered User
 
Higgy4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Toledo, Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 7,548
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcastro
"And the guy who plays on the wall the best is Hank"

Translation - Lang has been terrible and we think he might be dogging it because he wants to play center, but Z produces wherever you put him.
Yeah, I partly agree. But Babcock is right. Zetterberg is the best of the 3 to play wing. Not that I want him there, but he is the best of the 3.

Higgy4 is offline  
Old
01-12-2006, 11:50 AM
  #5
GuloGulo
Registered User
 
GuloGulo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: trunkofacamaro
Country: Bahrain
Posts: 3,713
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcastro
"And the guy who plays on the wall the best is Hank"

Translation - Lang has been terrible and we think he might be dogging it because he wants to play center, but Z produces wherever you put him.
But Lang won't disappear just cause you want to? Until he's traded there is no reason why we should NOT use his best potential? Babs tried Lang as winger and little result. He HAS though a proven center record.

GuloGulo is offline  
Old
01-12-2006, 11:59 AM
  #6
Epsilon
#TeamHolland
 
Epsilon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Florence, SC
Posts: 34,861
vCash: 500
It's a good idea because it wil showcase Lang for trades. If he is going to be dealt the Wings should try to have him playing well so they get maximum value for him.

Epsilon is offline  
Old
01-12-2006, 12:02 PM
  #7
doublejack
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Detroit
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,123
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuloGulo
But Lang won't disappear just cause you want to? Until he's traded there is no reason why we should NOT use his best potential? Babs tried Lang as winger and little result. He HAS though a proven center record.
I thought Lang + Yzerman was looking pretty decent but Robert likely wasn't happy with the situation. In any event he just wasn't producing on the wing.

I think a lot of us would like to see Lang traded for a top six winger, so hopefully that'll get done. Until then I have to agree that this is what Babs has to do because it gives us our best chance to win games.

doublejack is offline  
Old
01-12-2006, 12:05 PM
  #8
shaner89
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Burlington, Ont
Posts: 13,862
vCash: 500
what are the lines now. who is willilams with?

shaner89 is offline  
Old
01-12-2006, 12:07 PM
  #9
doublejack
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Detroit
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,123
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaner89
what are the lines now. who is willilams with?
It's probably going to be Shanny - Lang - Williams on a line, and
Zets - Dats - Sammy/Homer on another.

doublejack is offline  
Old
01-12-2006, 04:45 PM
  #10
ALF AmericanLionsFan
Registered User
 
ALF AmericanLionsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Cleveland, Ohio USA
Country: United States
Posts: 7,569
vCash: 500
That's too bad,because Z was looking great at Center

ALF AmericanLionsFan is offline  
Old
01-12-2006, 05:23 PM
  #11
Fugu
Guest
 
Country:
Posts: n/a
vCash:
I think if Z ultimately looks better at center than he does at Wing...and he looks better at center than Lang does at center, the writing has to be on the wall for Lang. Like others said, for now we have to utilize our assets wisely, and Lang has to prove he is a better center than Z to keep that spot. I don't see the Wings sacrificing Z long term just to keep Lang at center.

If Lang turns it around, then it is a bonus for us to have 3 guys that are great at center, and one of those who can play on the wing as well. If Lang is almost as good as Z, then you showcase him, knowing you plan to trade for the right deal. No way we trade Z though.

 
Old
01-12-2006, 05:57 PM
  #12
norrisnick
Registered User
 
norrisnick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 16,235
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugu
No way we trade Z though.
I thought the plan was to trade him and Kronwall for Belfour, Belak, and Colaiacovo?

norrisnick is offline  
Old
01-12-2006, 08:52 PM
  #13
Birko19
Registered User
 
Birko19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Hamilton, Ont
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,370
vCash: 500
Well? do any of you guys have any doubts of this move after tonight's perfomance by Z

Birko19 is offline  
Old
01-12-2006, 09:25 PM
  #14
naihlflames
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Detroit MI
Country: United States
Posts: 2,034
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Birko19
Well? do any of you guys have any doubts of this move after tonight's perfomance by Z
No doubt. They worked some magic. I like the way Babcock shakes things up whenever they lose a few.

naihlflames is offline  
Old
01-12-2006, 09:35 PM
  #15
pavel13
Registered User
 
pavel13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 2,699
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to pavel13
I watched the Det/Car game on OLN. The whole time I was thinking, Zetterberg, Shanahan, and Datsyuk are the only ones trying to create much offense (though I was impressed with Yzerman's offense as well). I was thinking they should be put together to even up the score. They're together for this game, and they factored in four of Detroit's six goals.

I agree that Lang has looked terrible on the wing. Yzerman was better offensively in the Carolina game than Lang. Even Franzen seemed more offensively involved than Lang. Hopefully putting him back at center has/will rejuvenate his offense.

pavel13 is offline  
Old
01-12-2006, 10:00 PM
  #16
Fugu
Guest
 
Country:
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by norrisnick
I thought the plan was to trade him and Kronwall for Belfour, Belak, and Colaiacovo?
You've been hanging out with Leaf fans again, haven't you? I know I never said that- I can't spell that last guy's name!!!

 
Old
01-12-2006, 10:08 PM
  #17
Fugu
Guest
 
Country:
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by pavel13
I watched the Det/Car game on OLN. The whole time I was thinking, Zetterberg, Shanahan, and Datsyuk are the only ones trying to create much offense (though I was impressed with Yzerman's offense as well). I was thinking they should be put together to even up the score. They're together for this game, and they factored in four of Detroit's six goals.

I agree that Lang has looked terrible on the wing. Yzerman was better offensively in the Carolina game than Lang. Even Franzen seemed more offensively involved than Lang. Hopefully putting him back at center has/will rejuvenate his offense.

One of the problems we face with putting Z-berg, Dats and Shanny together is the "loading up" on offence as Ken Hitchcock called it. At home, it works because we can get the line match up we want. On the road, we get their best against our "main" scorers...the proverbial putting all your eggs in one basket idea.

I know Shanny has wanted this line combo for some time. I remember when Hull was still here and no way, no how anyone else got Pavel as center. Lewis was too stupid to try something different, but anyway....Shanny said something like it was impossible to get "Hull's talons" out of Dats. So Hull gets the goals served up on a platter, and Shanny's production goes down. Finally we get Lang here, and things start to turn around until Lang gets injured within a couple games.

Point being, I expect that on the road Z-berg may end up with more center assignments than at home....or for the big games, we try to keep these three together.

 
Old
01-12-2006, 10:15 PM
  #18
pavel13
Registered User
 
pavel13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 2,699
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to pavel13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugu
One of the problems we face with putting Z-berg, Dats and Shanny together is the "loading up" on offence as Ken Hitchcock called it. At home, it works because we can get the line match up we want. On the road, we get their best against our "main" scorers...the proverbial putting all your eggs in one basket idea.

I know Shanny has wanted this line combo for some time. I remember when Hull was still here and no way, no how anyone else got Pavel as center. Lewis was too stupid to try something different, but anyway....Shanny said something like it was impossible to get "Hull's talons" out of Dats. So Hull gets the goals served up on a platter, and Shanny's production goes down. Finally we get Lang here, and things start to turn around until Lang gets injured within a couple games.

Point being, I expect that on the road Z-berg may end up with more center assignments than at home....or for the big games, we try to keep these three together.
Yeah, it's risky of course, to put them all on the same line when they're the only ones who seem to be producing. Mostly I was thinking that because they were down by one and needed to score a goal. But I probably wouldn't recommend keeping the line together all the time. Unless they prove that they can score consistently even when the opposition's top checking line plays against them. If they can prove to be productive during most/all situations, it may be a good idea to put them together. It would be nice to have one of those nearly unstopppable Alfredsson/Heatley/Spezza or Forberg/Gagne/Knuble lines.

pavel13 is offline  
Old
01-12-2006, 10:21 PM
  #19
Fugu
Guest
 
Country:
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by pavel13
It would be nice to have one of those nearly unstopppable Alfredsson/Heatley/Spezza or Forberg/Gagne/Knuble lines.

Whenever I start thinking like that, I just remind myself that Dats was a 6th round pick and Hank went in the 7th! Wings' scouts.

 
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:39 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.