HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Notices

Z back on Datsyuk's wing

Closed Thread

Old
01-12-2006, 11:23 AM
Higgy4

vCash: 500
Z back on Datsyuk's wing

Let the crying begin...

Henrik Zetterberg - W - Red Wings

Henrik Zetterberg will lineup on the wing tonight with Pavel Datsyuk as his center,
Coach Mike Babcock is switching his lines up once again. This move will allow Robert Lang to return to center in tonight's game against Philadelphia. We have three quality centers," Babcock said. "I've got room for two of them. And the guy who plays on the wall the best is Hank. So even though he was playing great down the middle, that's what we're doing." Jan. 12 - 6:49 am et
Source: Detroit Free Press

Old
01-12-2006, 11:31 AM
GuloGulo

It had to be done, otherwise Lang would've been a 4 million dollar hangaround. This HAS worked in the past and Babs must utilize the resources properly. Until we replace Lang there's no alternative imo.

Old
01-12-2006, 11:35 AM
sarcastro

vCash: 50
"And the guy who plays on the wall the best is Hank"

Translation - Lang has been terrible and we think he might be dogging it because he wants to play center, but Z produces wherever you put him.

Old
01-12-2006, 11:37 AM
Higgy4

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcastro

Translation - Lang has been terrible and we think he might be dogging it because he wants to play center, but Z produces wherever you put him.
Yeah, I partly agree. But Babcock is right. Zetterberg is the best of the 3 to play wing. Not that I want him there, but he is the best of the 3.

Old
01-12-2006, 11:50 AM
GuloGulo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcastro

But Lang won't disappear just cause you want to? Until he's traded there is no reason why we should NOT use his best potential? Babs tried Lang as winger and little result. He HAS though a proven center record.

Old
01-12-2006, 11:59 AM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

It's a good idea because it wil showcase Lang for trades. If he is going to be dealt the Wings should try to have him playing well so they get maximum value for him.

Old
01-12-2006, 12:02 PM
doublejack

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuloGulo
But Lang won't disappear just cause you want to? Until he's traded there is no reason why we should NOT use his best potential? Babs tried Lang as winger and little result. He HAS though a proven center record.
I thought Lang + Yzerman was looking pretty decent but Robert likely wasn't happy with the situation. In any event he just wasn't producing on the wing.

I think a lot of us would like to see Lang traded for a top six winger, so hopefully that'll get done. Until then I have to agree that this is what Babs has to do because it gives us our best chance to win games.

Old
01-12-2006, 12:05 PM
shaner89

what are the lines now. who is willilams with?

Old
01-12-2006, 12:07 PM
doublejack

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaner89
what are the lines now. who is willilams with?
It's probably going to be Shanny - Lang - Williams on a line, and
Zets - Dats - Sammy/Homer on another.

Old
01-12-2006, 04:45 PM
ALF AmericanLionsFan

That's too bad,because Z was looking great at Center

Old
01-12-2006, 05:23 PM
Fugu

vCash:
I think if Z ultimately looks better at center than he does at Wing...and he looks better at center than Lang does at center, the writing has to be on the wall for Lang. Like others said, for now we have to utilize our assets wisely, and Lang has to prove he is a better center than Z to keep that spot. I don't see the Wings sacrificing Z long term just to keep Lang at center.

If Lang turns it around, then it is a bonus for us to have 3 guys that are great at center, and one of those who can play on the wing as well. If Lang is almost as good as Z, then you showcase him, knowing you plan to trade for the right deal. No way we trade Z though.

Old
01-12-2006, 05:57 PM
norrisnick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugu
No way we trade Z though.
I thought the plan was to trade him and Kronwall for Belfour, Belak, and Colaiacovo?

Old
01-12-2006, 08:52 PM
Birko19

Well? do any of you guys have any doubts of this move after tonight's perfomance by Z

Old
01-12-2006, 09:25 PM
naihlflames

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birko19
Well? do any of you guys have any doubts of this move after tonight's perfomance by Z
No doubt. They worked some magic. I like the way Babcock shakes things up whenever they lose a few.

Old
01-12-2006, 09:35 PM
pavel13

Send a message via AIM to pavel13
I watched the Det/Car game on OLN. The whole time I was thinking, Zetterberg, Shanahan, and Datsyuk are the only ones trying to create much offense (though I was impressed with Yzerman's offense as well). I was thinking they should be put together to even up the score. They're together for this game, and they factored in four of Detroit's six goals.

I agree that Lang has looked terrible on the wing. Yzerman was better offensively in the Carolina game than Lang. Even Franzen seemed more offensively involved than Lang. Hopefully putting him back at center has/will rejuvenate his offense.

Old
01-12-2006, 10:00 PM
Fugu

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by norrisnick
I thought the plan was to trade him and Kronwall for Belfour, Belak, and Colaiacovo?
You've been hanging out with Leaf fans again, haven't you? I know I never said that- I can't spell that last guy's name!!!

Old
01-12-2006, 10:08 PM
Fugu

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by pavel13
I watched the Det/Car game on OLN. The whole time I was thinking, Zetterberg, Shanahan, and Datsyuk are the only ones trying to create much offense (though I was impressed with Yzerman's offense as well). I was thinking they should be put together to even up the score. They're together for this game, and they factored in four of Detroit's six goals.

I agree that Lang has looked terrible on the wing. Yzerman was better offensively in the Carolina game than Lang. Even Franzen seemed more offensively involved than Lang. Hopefully putting him back at center has/will rejuvenate his offense.

One of the problems we face with putting Z-berg, Dats and Shanny together is the "loading up" on offence as Ken Hitchcock called it. At home, it works because we can get the line match up we want. On the road, we get their best against our "main" scorers...the proverbial putting all your eggs in one basket idea.

I know Shanny has wanted this line combo for some time. I remember when Hull was still here and no way, no how anyone else got Pavel as center. Lewis was too stupid to try something different, but anyway....Shanny said something like it was impossible to get "Hull's talons" out of Dats. So Hull gets the goals served up on a platter, and Shanny's production goes down. Finally we get Lang here, and things start to turn around until Lang gets injured within a couple games.

Point being, I expect that on the road Z-berg may end up with more center assignments than at home....or for the big games, we try to keep these three together.

Old
01-12-2006, 10:15 PM
pavel13

Send a message via AIM to pavel13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugu
One of the problems we face with putting Z-berg, Dats and Shanny together is the "loading up" on offence as Ken Hitchcock called it. At home, it works because we can get the line match up we want. On the road, we get their best against our "main" scorers...the proverbial putting all your eggs in one basket idea.

I know Shanny has wanted this line combo for some time. I remember when Hull was still here and no way, no how anyone else got Pavel as center. Lewis was too stupid to try something different, but anyway....Shanny said something like it was impossible to get "Hull's talons" out of Dats. So Hull gets the goals served up on a platter, and Shanny's production goes down. Finally we get Lang here, and things start to turn around until Lang gets injured within a couple games.

Point being, I expect that on the road Z-berg may end up with more center assignments than at home....or for the big games, we try to keep these three together.
Yeah, it's risky of course, to put them all on the same line when they're the only ones who seem to be producing. Mostly I was thinking that because they were down by one and needed to score a goal. But I probably wouldn't recommend keeping the line together all the time. Unless they prove that they can score consistently even when the opposition's top checking line plays against them. If they can prove to be productive during most/all situations, it may be a good idea to put them together. It would be nice to have one of those nearly unstopppable Alfredsson/Heatley/Spezza or Forberg/Gagne/Knuble lines.

Old
01-12-2006, 10:21 PM
Fugu

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by pavel13
It would be nice to have one of those nearly unstopppable Alfredsson/Heatley/Spezza or Forberg/Gagne/Knuble lines.

Whenever I start thinking like that, I just remind myself that Dats was a 6th round pick and Hank went in the 7th! Wings' scouts.

Closed Thread