HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The guys you wanted from the last drafts!

Old
02-09-2012, 12:02 AM
Vsevolod Bobrov
Burn the boats !

vCash: 500
In 2007 I just knew I wanted anything but Esposito. 2008 is when I really became a draft junkie. So,

2008: I liked Zach Boychuk, Erik Karlsson (he was already very hyped back then) and Luca Sbisa, but with our 25th pick I didn't think we'd be able to snatch any of these. I was pretty excited with the Tanguay trade.

2009: I wanted Jacob Josefson but Leblanc is turning out just fine.

2010: I knew Derek Forbort would be gone before our pick so I wasn't really bound for disappointment. We traded up to draft another towering physical dman with NHL bloodlines that seems to be doing great so I like that pick atm.

2011: I wanted Scheifele or Namestnikov but Beaulieu I'm ok with.

Vsevolod Bobrov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 12:47 AM
stubbadub

Mark MacNeill, and I'm still upset we let Chicago have him. He'll be like a more offensive Morrow, but a centre. What we truly need. Glad Toronto didn't get him though.

stubbadub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 06:30 AM
bentheprop

2010 - Hardly followed the draft but I was/am very happy with the Tinordi pick.

2011 - Wanted to trade up for Dougie Hamilton or hoped that Jamie Oleksiak would fall to us. I would still prefer either of them to Beaulieu but I'm happy that he fell to us once they were gone.

bentheprop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 07:38 AM
WestIslander

Here we go again...

- I wanted Ryan Kesler or Ryan Getzlaf and we drafted Andrei Kostitsyn

- I wanted Travis Zajac and was actually convinced that we would pick him, but they drafted Kyle Chipchura

- I wanted Sidney Crosby, but when I found out we had the 5th overall pick I was really crazy about Marc Staal, Montreal drafted Carey Price and even though I liked Jose Theodore a lot, I liked what "people" were saying about Price.

- I did not pay attention... And we drafted David Fischer

- With our two draft picks in the first round I really wanted Kevin Shattenkirk and David Perron, but we drafted Ryan McDonagh and Max Pacioretty, I really wish we still had Ryan McDonagh in Montreal and had McDonagh, Pacioretty, Subban and Eller from that draft all to build around.

- I was upset that Montreal traded the 1st round draft pick to Calgary for Alex Tanguay, but I really wanted Joe Colborne, however, he was taken and at 26th overall there was not much left to drool over.

- I really wanted, Jordan Caron, Simon Despres or Landon Ferraro, but I think the best fit would have been Simon Despres, however Montreal took Louis Leblanc and it seems to have been a good pick at 18th overall (so far).

- I really wanted Nick Bjugstad in the first round and Ryan Martindale in the second round, however, Montreal traded the second round draft pick to move up 4 spots to 22nd and drafted Jarred Tinordi who I hope is the next Zdeno Chara in Montreal.

- I really wanted Jamie Oleksiak or Tyler Biggs BUT was VERY surprised to see Nathan Beaulieu still available at 17th and we got him! This kid could have easily been drafted around 10th overall and I think we might be better than Subban down the road.

WestIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 08:49 AM
Go Habs Go

In 2003 I remember watching the draft with my uncle and we both wanted Getzlaf. In our minds it was the obvious choice. We were so disappointed when they picked AKost.

Go Habs Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 08:59 AM
FrankMTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant McCagg View Post
2011 - I was high on Scheifele and Jenner. Expected Scheifele might be gone....was he ever.... same thing with Beaulieu, who I also liked but expected would be gone in the top 14... Was also surprised that Jenner didn't go in the first round - i think Columbus got a steal.

2010 - I wanted Tinordi, Toffoli, Sheahan, Kuznetsov or Merrill. I was at Trevor's place a few days before the draft and he asked me who we should take - I told him Tinordi or Sheahan but I still had a soft spot for Toffoli having seen him about a dozen times and noticing his goal scoring talents. Trevor liked Toffoli too, but more than the rest of the staff except me. Funny thing is..we saw him more than anyone else on the staff given that we live close to Ottawa. Kuznetsov was my first choice actually, but I knew Trevor wouldn't consider him. He just figures there's too much risk with Russian prospects in the first round (unless you're a Yakupov), especially if they're still playing in Russia.

2009 - Leblanc or Despres - figured at least one would be at 18, and was really hoping it was Leblanc. In the third round I was hoping for Cody Eakin and Bennett.

2008 - Carlson was the guy..never expected him to be there at 26...was really disappointed when we traded our first for Tanguay. I also liked Deschamps with that pick if Carlson was gone. Trevor really liked Carlson - I have no doubt that he would have picked him had Bob kept the pick.

2007 - McDonagh, Eller or Shattenkirk - I would have been happy with any of the three. For the other first I liked Patch, MacLean and Billy Sweatt. For the second rounder I liked Tyrell and Subban. Overall I was very happy with this draft.

2006 - I wanted Giroux all the way - live 45 minutes from Hull..saw lots of Giroux and loved him.

2005 - Marc Staal was my guy - loved him, wanted him. Didn't mind the Price pick though.

2004 - Wasn't crazy about many of the players in this draft - I was fine with the Chipchura pick..also would have been okay with Bolland.

2003 - Getzlaf was the guy...really wanted him..thought he was exactly what the team needed...big, tough top-line center..haven't had one since Jean Beliveau. Also liked Parise, Brown and Richards. Thought it was risky taking a Euro with so many quality NA's available.

2002 - Another blah draft for me. Didn't mind Grebeshkov and Paille..hadn't seen Higgins.

2001 - I wanted Komo all the way..thought we need a big tough, shutdown defenceman. didn't quite pan out that way, although there were glimpses of it before Lucic. Really liked Derek Roy as our second first rounder over Peerzhogin.

2000 - We got Hainsey and Hossa...wanted Orpik and Volchenkov/Frolik.
Darn it Grant, where were you when we needed you!!

FrankMTL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 09:15 AM
FrankMTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by stubbadub View Post
Mark MacNeill, and I'm still upset we let Chicago have him. He'll be like a more offensive Morrow, but a centre. What we truly need. Glad Toronto didn't get him though.
It was mentionned that Timmins did not like McNeill very much, we'll see how that turns out. So far this year McNeill has not really improved his stat totals from last year. He seems to be on pace for about the same amount of points..I know this doesn't mean anything as lots of players that were drafted did not necessarily improve their point totals the following year but became solid NHLers anyways, but as of right now he doesn't seem to be setting the world on fire.

FrankMTL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 09:46 AM
ClasslessGuy

2012 (???) Yakupov or Grigorenko
2011 (Beaulieu) Beaulieu
2010 (Tinordi) Smith-Pelly
2009 (Leblanc) Leblanc
2008 (no selection)
2007 (McDonagh,Pacciorety) Pacciorety and Simmonds
2006 (Fisher) Giroux
2005 (Price) Price or Kopitar
2004 (Chipchura) Mike Green
2003 (Kostitsyn) Carter, Getzlaf, Burns, Parise or Seabrook
2002 (Higgins) Hudler
2001 (Komisarek Perezoghin) Roy and Pomminville
2000 (Hainsey Hossa) Lundqvist and Volchenkov

Hey I should be headscout !

ClasslessGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 10:45 AM
Vasculio
Booya !

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestIslander View Post
Here we go again...

- I wanted Travis Zajac and was actually convinced that we would pick him, but they drafted Kyle Chipchura

- I wanted Sidney Crosby, but when I found out we had the 5th overall pick I was really crazy about Marc Staal, Montreal drafted Carey Price and even though I liked Jose Theodore a lot, I liked what "people" were saying about Price.

- With our two draft picks in the first round I really wanted Kevin Shattenkirk and David Perron, but we drafted Ryan McDonagh and Max Pacioretty, I really wish we still had Ryan McDonagh in Montreal and had McDonagh, Pacioretty, Subban and Eller from that draft all to build around.

- I was upset that Montreal traded the 1st round draft pick to Calgary for Alex Tanguay, but I really wanted Joe Colborne, however, he was taken and at 26th overall there was not much left to drool over.

- I really wanted, Jordan Caron, Simon Despres or Landon Ferraro, but I think the best fit would have been Simon Despres, however Montreal took Louis Leblanc and it seems to have been a good pick at 18th overall (so far).

- I really wanted Nick Bjugstad in the first round and Ryan Martindale in the second round, however, Montreal traded the second round draft pick to move up 4 spots to 22nd and drafted Jarred Tinordi who I hope is the next Zdeno Chara in Montreal.

- I really wanted Jamie Oleksiak or Tyler Biggs BUT was VERY surprised to see Nathan Beaulieu still available at 17th and we got him! This kid could have easily been drafted around 10th overall and I think we might be better than Subban down the road.
You already wrote down what you wanted earlier in the thread, but it's strange, why do you change some choices now ??

Are you full of it ?

Vasculio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 11:07 AM
Mrb1p

2011 : Landeskog, Couturier, Miller, Jenner, Biggs, Armia, Mcneill, Puempel, Musil, jurco, Saad, Ouellet, Ambroz.
But hey, I'm happier that we got Beaulieu. There's two players I would've taken over him in my list actually.

2010: Kabanov, Beukeboom, Levi, Gormley, Etem.
I'm still ''wtf'' on the Tinordi but if he can turn out great i'll be happy!

Leblanc or Despres.
But man did i want Ellis..Kassian was also too cool for school.
Other notables we're Kreider, Kulikov, De haan.
I was also high on D'amigo ? And Avtsin !

I remember being high on Filatov

Mrb1p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 11:35 AM
Sandvich
VERY NICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestIslander View Post
Here we go again...

I don't remenber you posting those picks when it happen.

Sandvich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 01:37 PM
Ubercron9000

2003- I was really high on corey perry I thought he was an amazing player from what I saw of him. The first draft I saw and was interested in. We got andrei kostitsyn
2004-I wanted Rob Schremp lol- we got ChipchurA
2005-I wanted crosby obviously but I also really wanted bobby Ryan we got price didn`t follow the draft to well so was no conest what ever.
2006-I was really high on phil kessel but we would have had no chance of drafting him. My other choice was patrik berglund was very high on him. I liked him a lot.-Instead we picked fischer blahhh hated that pick.
2007-Didn`t follow this draft at all. Although one player I did like was jonathan Blum but I`m much happier with what we got.
2008-I was really high on mikkel boedker, Luca sbisa. Really wished for sbisa though if we could of tried to get him oh well.
2009-I was really high on Magnus Paajarvi wanted him badly. Didn`t care about any other player really.
2010- Nino Niederreiter NINO NINO I wanted this guy he was the player I wanted most but knew we would never get him. We got tinordi but I was very upset because I thought emmerson etem was going to become something special and I really wanted etem.
2011- Gabriel Landeskog loved this guy next was Sven Baertschi and Matt Puempel those were my players. Beaulieu was not on my radar because i never saw him play.

Ubercron9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 08:18 PM
angry pirate

2007 - I really wanted Jakub Voracek to either fall to us, or for us to trade up to him.
2008 - Nothing really jumps out at me from the 08 draft.
2009 - I remember hoping the leblanc would still be on the board. Other than Leblanc, I was hoping Ellis would fall to us.
2010 - Was hoping we would take a flyer on Kabanov at some point.
2011 - Was hoping for Puempel or Biggs. Was over the moon when Beaulieu kept being passed over.

angry pirate is offline   Reply With Quote