HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Iginla or the cup?

View Poll Results: Choose one
Iginla 9 10.11%
25th Stanley cup 80 89.89%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
01-12-2006, 06:10 PM
sXe
Yuuuuuup!

vCash: 500
Iginla or the cup?

Some say it's Gainey's worst trade. Altough I never heard any Dallas fan complain after getting the cup.
On Dec. 19, 1995 Iginla is traded with Corey Millen for Joe Nieuwendyk.
With hindsight would you rather have the cup now (in a couple of years) or have a player like Iginla for 10 years (and maybe win the cup during that time)

Of course trading for Nieuwendyk didn't guarantee the cup but like I said with hindsight beeing 20/20 would you have done that deal?

Maybe it will be Komi, Perez, Latendresse or the Kost brothers but be prepared to pay the price and make sacrifices if we want the cup for 2009. I'm 100% sure Gainey will do it again, trade youth for immediate results. It probably won't be this year but it will happen, be prepared for one huge collective tantrum on the habs boards when it happens too.

Best player in the world or the cup?

Old
01-12-2006, 06:12 PM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

Who's to say that Iginla would have flourished in Dallas, anyways? The Cup, for sure.

Old
01-12-2006, 06:15 PM
Prrebel

Hey if I had the choice of a run like this:

Rebuild
Rebuild
Rebuild
Rebuild
Cup
Rebuild
Rebuild
Rebuild
Rebuild
Cup
Rebuild
Rebuild
Rebuild
Rebuild
Cup

I'd go for the cup too. 4 years anticipating the Cup only to finally win it would be sweet. Then do it all agin.

Old
01-12-2006, 06:24 PM
Live Forever

I think he made the right choice...Iginla was playing in the minors when the deal took place and the Stars were going to make a push for the playoffs for years to come. He helped the team win a Stanley Cup in 98-99, won the Conn Smythe and got them within a game the following year. He then helped Jersey win a cup in 2002-2003. Iginla got in team to the Stanely cup finals in 2004. Would it have been worth the wait in your mind? By the way, The Deal took place during the era of the old NHL when Dallas was able to sign quality players through Free Agency due to their big wallets so in the end, losing Iginla wasn't that big of a deal because they were able to sign and resign big name players like Hull, Guerin, Modano, Zubov...the list goes on and on.

Old
01-12-2006, 06:37 PM
wedge

this was not a bad trade at all. Sure, Iginla was a good prospect, but was not supposed to be a great player... The Stars traded a good prospect and a nobody for a very good player that was the type they lacked entirely.

Of course I would accept to give up a good prospect for a Stanley Cup. Come on!

Old
01-12-2006, 08:19 PM
sXe
Yuuuuuup!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryderama
this was not a bad trade at all. Sure, Iginla was a good prospect, but was not supposed to be a great player... The Stars traded a good prospect and a nobody for a very good player that was the type they lacked entirely.

Of course I would accept to give up a good prospect for a Stanley Cup. Come on!
It's not just giving a good prospect, Iginla is close to the best player in the world. I can only imagine the reaction on this board when/if we trade Latendresse, Kost or Ryder and they go on to score 50 goals.

Old
01-12-2006, 08:24 PM
Habsruleen

The Cup for sure. I think if you asked a Leaf fan 'Sundin 12 years ago or the Cup?' they would take the Cup 99 times out of 100

Old
01-12-2006, 08:26 PM
HABit

I don't care who we have as long as we win the cup, that IS the ultimate goal. If 20 Dagenais' bring us the cup I don't care if we give away 20 Iginlas!

Calgary has Iginla and they were beaten...there is no guarantee a star will win you the cup, so hindsight being 20/20 I would drive Iginla to the airport myself and take the cup!

Old
01-12-2006, 08:26 PM
Habsruleen

Quote:
Originally Posted by sXe
It's not just giving a good prospect, Iginla is close to the best player in the world. I can only imagine the reaction on this board when/if we trade Latendresse, Kost or Ryder and they go on to score 50 goals.
I won't care. There'll be a parade and I'll be hammered

Old
01-12-2006, 08:32 PM
wedge

Quote:
Originally Posted by sXe
nobody knew he was going to be a star
If they had had the opportunity to do the trade and didn't.. and Iginla had become a decent 2nd-liner but nothing better than that... They would have lost the chance to get the Stanley Cup for that.

When you have the chacne to win the cup, go for it. If we're talking about the habs, I would not do it as we're many assets from the cup, so I wouldn't trade our prospects for that. But maybe in a few years.. who knows?

Old
01-12-2006, 08:49 PM
tmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by sXe
I'm sure they'll get over it after the cup

Old
01-12-2006, 08:59 PM
sXe
Yuuuuuup!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmc
I'm sure they'll get over it after the cup
Yeah, but we'll have to suffer on this board until they do.

Old
01-12-2006, 09:29 PM
felixd

A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

Cup for sure.

Old
01-12-2006, 09:32 PM
ForsbergForever
Red Rocket

I'd take a Cup banner before a name on a jersey any day.

Old
01-12-2006, 09:32 PM
Westcoasthabsfan

Cup no question about it

Old
01-12-2006, 09:34 PM
tritone

Pretty good news if the worst thing Gainey ever did was trade a player to win a stanley cup dontch'ya think ?

Old
01-12-2006, 11:52 PM
RE-HABS

Iginla is a great player, but Gainey won a Cup and had a top team that always did well every season and went pretty far every playoff season.

Until the 2004 Stanley Cup Finals Calgary never accomplished anything with Iginla in their line-up, and they never won the Cup so in my eyes Dallas and Gainey won this deal hands down and the Flames still have yet to accomplish anything because they haven't won, they are just now becoming a contender and legit playoff threat.

Everyone makes some bad signings and trades, to say this is one would be bad judgement on anyone's part.

Niewendyk was also later traded to NJ with Jamie Langenbrunner for Jason Arnott, Randy McKay and New Jersey's 1st round choice (later traded to Columbus - later traded to Buffalo - Buffalo selected Dan Paille)..not sure what Dallas got from Columbus for the 1st rounder but the trade for Niewendyk is still helping the Stars today, so this was a very good deal.

Old
01-13-2006, 12:06 AM
deandebean

This is why Montreal has to win a cup again. People on this board, at least some of them, seem too young to remember what it feels like ti win a Cup. They'd prefer to be competitive for 10 years than to win a cup...wow.

Closed Thread