HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Flyers Revisiting Schenn

Old
02-09-2012, 07:49 AM
blasted_Sabre
Global Moderator
Warden of the North

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by birddog View Post

Couturier is the only player that makes sense or that I could see Burke getting excited enough to do something. Sure Giroux but let's be realistic.

Leafs don't need more bodies -- in fact they need less -- so diluted assets won't be done. It'll be 1-1, 2-1, 3-1 but not 1-3.
B. Schenn makes a lot of sense. With Giroux, Briere, and Couturier they are already set at C. Its their position of strength.

Gunnarson+ for Schenn makes a lot of sense for both teams.

blasted_Sabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 07:51 AM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACC1224 View Post
Of course he would, without hesitation. Shame he's never had the opportunity.
Yeah, the Islanders had already planned a big draft party at their arena. No way they were trading the first overall pick.

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 07:55 AM
Yosho
Logic

Quote:
That was the rumor at the draft. The Isles wanted Schenn plus the Leafs first (Kadri). Burke even stated that he could have moved up but it would have cost Schenn and he didn't want to do that. Not saying he wouldn't do that today if it was available.
False.

The rumours, likely fabricated for hype, were regarding the 2nd overall pick held by the Lightning.

Yosho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 07:57 AM
ToneBone03
LEAFS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcy Tucker View Post
I read this post in my head with the voice of Hulk Hogan.
I honestly just spit water everywhere when I read this, because I honestly did the exact same thing when I read it. hahahahahahaha

ToneBone03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 08:02 AM
ACC1224
Burke was right.

Quote:
That was the rumor at the draft. The Isles wanted Schenn plus the Leafs first (Kadri). Burke even stated that he could have moved up but it would have cost Schenn and he didn't want to do that. Not saying he wouldn't do that today if it was available.

What I am saying is that if Schenn is moving it will be for a major piece coming back. A piece that can help the Leafs for years. Since JVR is injured that's unlikely. I mean who's dumb enough to take a concussed player? Maybe as a dump but not for one of your cornerstones.

Couturier is the only player that makes sense or that I could see Burke getting excited enough to do something. Sure Giroux but let's be realistic.

Leafs don't need more bodies -- in fact they need less -- so diluted assets won't be done. It'll be 1-1, 2-1, 3-1 but not 1-3.
If that was true Tavares would be a Leaf and people here would be talking about where to trade him to.

ACC1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 08:05 AM
Pierre Gotye

I'm not interested in JVR, Courturier is the guy I'd be targetting. And, I'd make the Flyers eat some salary back too.

Pierre Gotye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 08:10 AM
hullsy47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brentbreakaway23 View Post
I'm not interested in JVR, Courturier is the guy I'd be targetting. And, I'd make the Flyers eat some salary back too.
no one is gonna aquirre a concussed player ......JVR may be done for the year ,,philly can look elesewhere for a sucker

hullsy47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 08:11 AM
blasted_Sabre
Global Moderator
Warden of the North

Quote:

No. Tampa wanted Schenn + 7th overall + Kaberle for the 2nd overall. I'd of had to think Burke would have taken Duchene.

Duchene, although a nice player, is not worth Schenn, Kadri, Colborne, and Biggs (Liles cancels out the 2nd used to move up for Biggs).

blasted_Sabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 08:13 AM
jmart21
MISC!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hullsy47 View Post
no one is gonna aquirre a concussed player ......JVR may be done for the year ,,philly can look elesewhere for a sucker
Got a link confirming he could be out for the year?

jmart21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 08:20 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aftcomet View Post
Why doesn't Brayden Schenn make sense? He's a center.
JVR and B.Schenn are similar in that both have been concussed this year.

Too bad Leafs don't have a young center in their system they could turn to.

But for this year what makes sense? A player who knocks Kulemin or MacArthur to the third line and Crabb to the press box, I think.

If we're looking longer term someone like a JVR could fit the bill, but so could Frattin.

I think Aulie, Frattin and Bozak for Carter would be good for both teams, but I don't think the names are big enough for the BJ's.

Vaive and Ludzik on collapse, and Phaneuf.
ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 08:22 AM
MoreMogilny
Cap'n

I'd kill for a Schenn + for Couturier deal.

That kid is going to be absolute dynamite in a couple years.

02-09-2012, 08:26 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by blasted_Sabre View Post
No. Tampa wanted Schenn + 7th overall + Kaberle for the 2nd overall. I'd of had to think Burke would have taken Duchene.

Duchene, although a nice player, is not worth Schenn, Kadri, Colborne, and Biggs (Liles cancels out the 2nd used to move up for Biggs).
Duchene may have more impact than all those players combined, the return for Kaberle is just hope today. Schenn is the only NHL player there and he's 2nd./3rd. pairing defender.

Doesn't matter never happened and Duchene is by far the best player of the bunch for the foreseeable future.(when not injured)

ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 08:36 AM
gabeliscious

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmart21 View Post
Got a link confirming he could be out for the year?
http://www.timesherald.com/article/2...9651/-1/NEWS01

the leafs have VERY few VALUABLE assets that we can afford to part with and not be worse because of it. luke schenn is the only one that comes to mind.

im not opposed to trading schenn. im not even opposed to trading him to philly but i 100% would not trade him for jvr. even if jvr was fine now the chance of getting another concussion is increased as a result of the 1st.

if philly is looking for defense then we are definitely a good trading partner but we would need something a little less dented then jvr.

personally i would rather hold off on moving schenn for more wingers unless we can get the center that we need in the worst way.

gabeliscious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 08:44 AM
birddog*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACC1224 View Post
If that was true Tavares would be a Leaf and people here would be talking about where to trade him to.
ALL you guys need to roll back the clock -- Burke himself stated he could have moved up easily but didn't want to part with Schenn plus their first. The organization was thin at the time.

Tavares wasn't a sure thing at the time.

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/nhl/rumor...urn=nhl-156771

http://www.faceoff.com/hockey/teams/...f-278d53e21f76

Burke’s strategy is pretty straightforward. Anyone not named Schenn is likely up for grabs.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/articles/25492-.html

"Forget about Burke including promising young defenseman Luke Schenn in the offer. He’s a “Burke player” – big, physical and talented – and considered the future cornerstone of the Leafs blueline. "

http://www.tmlfans.ca/blogs/blue-and...e-leafs-schenn

http://www.canada.com/sports/Leafs+s...710/story.html

"We could have had (Tavares)," Burke told TSN. "But we didn't want to deal Luke Schenn (to move up in the draft to select him).

But hey don't believe me. You guys are the same bunch that thought Grabovski was a salary dump.

birddog* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 08:44 AM
Wasp

One guy I'd love to see on the Leafs who is never brought up in Philly/Leafs discussions is Wayne Simmonds. He's big, young, plays in the dirty parts of the ice and is a hometown boy from Scarborough. He'd be perfect for our 3rd line. Of course, there's no way in hell I'd give up Schenn for him, but if we were to swing a monster deal with them with multiple assets going both ways I'd try my hardest to get him included.

Wasp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 08:52 AM
eyeball11

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreMogilny View Post
I'd kill for a Schenn + for Couturier deal.

That kid is going to be absolute dynamite in a couple years.
Agreed. Not that I want to move Schenn but if I was after anyone in Philly, it's Couturier. My brother in law is an NHL scout and I remember telling him about Couturier when he was 14 (because he played locally so I got to see him). At 14 he looked (frame wise) like a Vinny Lecavalier type (plus had the skill to go with). The other thing to consider is that much like Phil Kessel, this is a guy who for a while was touted as the #1 overall pick for his class but fell. I feel in time, like Phil, he will show the world why he was considered at that level.

Big, strong (will get stronger), uber talented. Love ya Luke but if I could land this kid, done and done.

eyeball11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 09:21 AM
dougieg93
flip for filip

The Leafs will have better luck with B Schenn then Couturier, and the both teams make for good trading partners considering the Flyers are deep at Center and the Leafs are deep on the blue line, however considering both are in the playoff hunt I don't see a deal until the draft.

dougieg93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 09:27 AM
pooleboy
#buildthrewthedraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by cup67 View Post
schenn for sean couturier, thats who burke wants, a good american kid
He's canadian...

pooleboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 09:27 AM
number72

Quote:
Originally Posted by hullsy47 View Post
Lombardi says hi.

number72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 09:32 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

The Leafs were within a Boyd Devereaux hattrick in game #82 of having the Schenn brothers united in Toronto.

Its a shame that now, that it might be Philly that ends up with the brothers.

Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 09:33 AM
pooleboy
#buildthrewthedraft

Quote:
ALL you guys need to roll back the clock -- Burke himself stated he could have moved up easily but didn't want to part with Schenn plus their first. The organization was thin at the time.

Tavares wasn't a sure thing at the time.

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/nhl/rumor...urn=nhl-156771

http://www.faceoff.com/hockey/teams/...f-278d53e21f76

Burke’s strategy is pretty straightforward. Anyone not named Schenn is likely up for grabs.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/articles/25492-.html

"Forget about Burke including promising young defenseman Luke Schenn in the offer. He’s a “Burke player” – big, physical and talented – and considered the future cornerstone of the Leafs blueline. "

http://www.tmlfans.ca/blogs/blue-and...e-leafs-schenn

http://www.canada.com/sports/Leafs+s...710/story.html

"We could have had (Tavares)," Burke told TSN. "But we didn't want to deal Luke Schenn (to move up in the draft to select him).

But hey don't believe me. You guys are the same bunch that thought Grabovski was a salary dump.
And lupul the stop-gap. Schenn isn't going anywhere, burke said he sat down with luke and tallked to him and when a GM talks to a player and then trades him the GM losses a lot of his reputation, burke wouldn't want that. I don't see a major move, maybe a clarke mcarthur for penner + prospect like the anaheim deal or something along those lines but I don't see schenn gettng moved out, burke knows how to build a winner tho, in burke I trust

pooleboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 09:34 AM
COMCASTMONEY
pay ya cable bills.

Howdy folks.

First: no Couturier.

Second: You know that JVR guy? 2 days ago reports were that he was "still having headaches/no timetable." This morning, they're saying he might play tonight. Peculiar to any of you?

COMCASTMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 09:57 AM
PJStock*

Here is the link Leafs fans... although, it's really only speculation at this point. Author of this piece linked the demotion of Harry Zolnierczyk and JVR together. Supposedly he isn't even at morning skate...

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/...#ixzz1ltlx0Szt

PJStock* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 10:00 AM
PJStock*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
The Leafs were within a Boyd Devereaux hattrick in game #82 of having the Schenn brothers united in Toronto.

Its a shame that now, that it might be Philly that ends up with the brothers.
Don't worry, we'll treat them well if Luke is traded over here

PJStock* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 10:03 AM
somecut*

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehealthyscratch View Post
"If we're not short-sighted"

and

"trading Schenn"

Why don't you guys just put Kadri on the block while you're at it, may as well throw in colborne and frattin too... and why not some picks just for good measure! No successful team ever builds their team from within. Developing players, what does that mean? Funny thread and even funnier article, writer must be an aspiring comedian. And yes, I'm sure Brian Burke just resigned him until 2016/2017 for ***** and giggles, or to trade him for a kid with a concussion. Not because he believed in him as a hockey player or anything silly like that

Schenn is staying, deal with it
We're not talking about trading Schenn for Jason Arnott here...that would be short sighted, obviously. Trading Schenn for a 6'4 Forward who is the same age, with huge upside is not short sighted, especially when you are deep on defense with young guys signed long-term.

somecut* is offline   Reply With Quote