HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

March 26: JVR attended March 26 game, in walking boot (post #283)

Old
02-01-2012, 01:56 PM
Kaktus*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Lol. You love Gaustad. I havent even seen one article where his name has been mentioned as leaving Buffalo. Honestly, one has got to think that he is pretty much staying there unless overpaid for him.
Shhhhhhhhh...
I'd overpay. 2nd round pick and sign him to Talbots contract.

Last edited by Kaktus*: 02-01-2012 at 02:26 PM.
Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 10:34 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 597
Feb. 2 quotes from Briere (through Randy Miller):
  • "It’s not like I’m worried about my career or the season or anything like that. I really think that I’m that close."
  • "Seeing everything that is happening around the league & on our team, it’s one of those injuries that you want to make sure."
  • "I haven’t had any contact, but I felt better than yesterday, so that’s a good sign"
  • "I didn’t feel that great yesterday, but today was a good day."
  • "I felt good today. I was able to push myself fairly hard on the ice at practice, which is a good sign."
  • "I was always wondering ... How does it really feel when you’re in a fog? Now I know you’re not quite yourself."

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 02-02-2012 at 10:40 AM.
MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 12:03 PM
ICAPNASTYI

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by mypunkrock View Post
Because he has some serious injuries which the team has not addressed. I'm guessing a combination of sports hernia, hip problems, and some other stuff. The kid has got to be hurting big time.
Players who continue to play though games without having an injury taken care of is BS, especially when it's early in the season. Mike Richards played with a torn ligament in his wrist ALL SEASON, an injury which he noticed/acquired in TRAINING CAMP. Richards wasn't his usual self and is arguably a big reason why the Flyers had an early exit last season.

I watched every game last season and I've watched every game this season as well. Not once have I stopped and said "Hey, JVR looks just like he did in the playoffs." One might say he was putting up an OK amount of goals before being taken out of the line-up. However, nearly every one of his goals this season were a tap-in where 95% of the work was already done for him. He just glides around and doesn't move like he should.

I just don't understand why a player like JVR, who was/is supposed to be one of our main guys continued to play through it. It doesn't help the team and it doesn't help him as an individual, if he's out there playing at less than 50%.

If JVR really does have those injuries, who is to blame here? JVR or the Flyers Organization?

ICAPNASTYI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 12:08 PM
Prongo
Beer

^ I know they give the player the option of playing through the injury or getting the surgery to repair it. You can't blame anyone for handling the injury because both parties have a say in it. The Flyers will definitely tell him what they think he should do (if it can't get worse then it already is, it won't hurt to play with it) And JVR can say he doesn't feel comfortable playing with it and request he gets the surgery.

At least it shows that JVR wants to play even though he is suffering through some tough injuries. Shows he at least has the drive to be competitive even if he isn't 100%.

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 12:38 PM
Prongo
Beer

Both these updates per Sarah Baickers twitter

Quote:
Briere says he's getting closer. Starting to look at calendar and eye return. Won't be tomorrow, likely not Sunday. But it's a positive sign
JVR-

Quote:
Again, JVR declined to speak to the media. He hasn't spoken much since the diagnosis.

Old
02-03-2012, 02:22 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

Sam @ Inq.:

Quote:
Briere is feeling "better and better." Wouldn't be surprised if he plays Tuesday vs. Isles. JVR's recovery going slower

Old
02-07-2012, 10:02 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

Feb. 7: From Sam @ Inq.

Quote:
JVR says he still has headaches

Old
02-07-2012, 10:05 AM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitroglycerin View Post
Shhhhhhhhh...
I'd overpay. 2nd round pick and sign him to Talbots contract.
he makes $2.3m now and potentially headed to free agency...tell me hwy he would sign for almost half of that for 5 years?

he doesnt deserve more money than what he's getting, but probably isnt going to take a pay-cut. let some other team over pay for his face-off services

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 10:12 AM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
Feb. 7: From Sam @ Inq.
That's scary. Is he on LTIR?

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 10:18 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 6115
I'm not expecting him back before the trade deadline, which is another reason why a depth forward is just as important as a defensemen.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 10:42 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoof View Post
That's scary. Is he on LTIR?
IR, not LTIR.

Sam added to his prior words, slightly more soothing but no-contact means JVR is still a few steps away...

Quote:
JVR said he still is not over the headaches, but he is improved from when he was first concussed. Still unable to take contact
More info including quotes from JVR:

Quote:
As for van Riemsdyk, he said he was making small strides in his recovery.

“Some days are better than others, but not the way I want to feel,” van Riemsdyk said. “I’m just trying to take it day by day, and that’s really all I can do.”

Like Briere a couple weeks ago, van Riemsdyk said there have been days when he has felt in a fog.

“It’s definitely one of those things where you have to stay in the moment, stay positive and let the body heal itself up.”

He said he didn’t talk to the media until Tuesday because his symptoms were changing daily. The left winger said he didn’t want to “place expectations on when I want to be back. I just want to heal and be good” to go.

Added JVR: I guess if I do look at now vs. when I first started (rehabbing), I do feel a little bit better, so that's obviously encouraging, but it's been a slow process. Hopefully, it starts to progress."
http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/i...#ixzz1liPTLlQJ

Old
02-07-2012, 10:50 AM
Scoopyten

Quote:
IR, not LTIR.

Sam added to his prior words, slightly more soothing but no-contact means JVR is still a few steps away...

More info including quotes from JVR:

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/i...#ixzz1liPTLlQJ
Just hope he continues to get better. He's had a rough go with the injuries, ever since camp.

Scoopyten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 11:18 AM
facts

JVR also has tradedeadlineitis and will be good to go once the deadline has come and gone. This team win or lose is fine without him and he sees and knows that.

facts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 11:36 AM
BernieParent
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by facts View Post
JVR also has tradedeadlineitis and will be good to go once the deadline has come and gone. This team win or lose is fine without him and he sees and knows that.
Are you saying that JvR himself is ducking the risk of being traded or that this alleged duplicity is team-sanctioned? I wouldn't understand the latter, as Holmgren could just say "no".

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 11:40 AM
Go For It

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by facts View Post

Go For It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 09:11 AM
Prongo
Beer

https://twitter.com/#!/DNFlyers/stat...26053177704448

Quote:
James van Riemsdyk (concussion) could return to the lineup tonight against Toronto for the first time since Jan. 12:

Old
02-09-2012, 09:19 AM
COMCASTMONEY
pay ya cable bills.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan9180 View Post
2 days ago he was "still having headaches," tonight he might play? Oh, against who? Right.

Howdy Luke!

COMCASTMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 09:22 AM
Top Cheese Danish

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan9180 View Post
Huh? He just said he still wasn't feeling good.

Do you think he and L. Schenn will switch jerseys in the third period or second?

Top Cheese Danish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 09:23 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

Quote:
Or, at least that’s the speculation heading into Thursday’s pre-game skate for the Flyers, since forward Harry Zolnierczyk was loaned to AHL Adirondack on Wednesday night.

One player had to be cleared from the 23-man roster in order to activate van Riemsdyk from the injured reserve. The move would have been needed to be completed Wednesday, as it was, in order for van Riemsdyk to play tonight against Toronto.

If not, Zolnierczyk could have remained with the team, as the Flyers are not troubled by the salary cap.

Van Riemsdyk, 22, has 11 goals and 11 assists in 37 games. It is believed that he suffered the concussion on Jan. 7 against Ottawa but played in 3 more games before alerting team doctors.

He skated in a full practice on Wednesday, his third straight day on the ice.

The timing of JVR’s possible return is certainly interesting, as the Maple Leafs’ brass – who has reportedly been interested in acquiring him – would get an up-close look at him in his first game back.

Stay tuned for an update after practice. Even if JVR was scheduled to return tonight, there is never a concrete plan with a concussion. You never know how a player is going to wake up in the morning.
Read more: http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/...#ixzz1ltlx0Szt

Old
02-09-2012, 09:31 AM
mirimon

Quote:
While I would love to have a fully healthy JvR back, I would guess that Zolnierczyk was sent down because it's a bit unnecessary to have 14 forwards on the roster. Having a young rookie in the pressbox isn't the best idea, usually. He's better off with the Phantoms for now.

mirimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 09:38 AM
PJStock*

Luke is staying in Philly after tonight's game...book it.

PJStock* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
dats81

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirimon View Post
While I would love to have a fully healthy JvR back, I would guess that Zolnierczyk was sent down because it's a bit unnecessary to have 14 forwards on the roster. Having a young rookie in the pressbox isn't the best idea, usually. He's better off with the Phantoms for now.
Sounds reasonable to me.

I think I've also read somewhere that recently acquired M.Ford won't play for the Phantoms due to family reasons, so loaning Scrabbles to Adirondack for a game or two makes sense for both sides.

dats81 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

I sense it is premature on the writer's part to associate the demotion of Harry Z to the activation of JVR. And tonight's opponent is secondary to more significant matters. The necessity to determine a player's fit or potential trade value isn't going to be predicated on one game, the first game back from a lengthy injury. That said, anything is possible, never say never and all those other trite cliches but I have my doubts if they fit here.

Old
02-09-2012, 09:41 AM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
I sense it is premature on the writer's part to associate the demotion of Harry Z to the activation of JVR. And tonight's opponent is secondary to more significant matters. The necessity to determine a player's fit or potential trade value isn't going to be predicated on one game, the first game back from a lengthy injury. That said, anything is possible, never say never and all those other trite cliches but I have my doubts if they fit here.
Yep especially because JVR isn't at the morning practice too

https://twitter.com/#!/davegisaac/st...33504765607937

Quote:
No JVR for morning skate

Old
02-09-2012, 09:49 AM
hckyplayer8
He's Gone!

Speculation can be fun.

hckyplayer8 is offline   Reply With Quote