HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Jake Gardiner

Old
02-08-2012, 09:21 PM
Eyedea
96 from the left

vCash: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyGuruPitka View Post
As of right now how does Gardiner stand in the Calder race?

I'd say hes right up there as the #1 defenseman, now obviously no where near RNH but i was livid when i found out he wasnt participating in the Rookie portion of the allstar game. Rafael Diaz a -6 with 4 less minutes, less games and less points... COMON the league needs to be less obvious with marketing to get the habs fans to watch the game.
Not sure if any of you ever look at the TSN rookie standings but they have him at #5. Right behind Henrique, Nuge, Read, Landeskog and just ahead of Hodgson.

Eyedea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 09:27 PM
number72

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyedea View Post
Not sure if any of you ever look at the TSN rookie standings but they have him at #5. Right behind Henrique, Nuge, Read, Landeskog and just ahead of Hodgson.
Much too low for some leafs fans.
But honestly of those 5 he is probably the one people least know around the league.

number72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 08:48 AM
Sundinisagod
King Altelius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasty Nazem View Post
A rich man Kaberle? So, that is Norris caliber?

I think people forget what an excellent player Kaberle was in his prime offensively and defensively. I would be happy as hell if Gardiner turned out like Kaberle.
Maybe I should downgrade that slightly to 'Kaberle on steroids' or 'North American Kaberle'...I'm using Kaberle pre head injury when he was an ace. I see Gardiner as having a similar skillset and poise to Kaberle, but in a bigger, stronger body. As of this moment, I project Gardiner to be more of a great complimentary #2...lacks the booming point shot presence that Kaberle lacked as well, if he can develop an effective point shot then he can be a #1. I don't wanna cap this guy to just #2 because he is such an incredible skater and has good vision.

Sundinisagod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 08:50 AM
Wasp

Whenever you want to feel all warm and fuzzy inside, or cheer yourself up after a disappointing loss, just keep repeating this:

Jake Gardiner is only 21 years old.

You're welcome.

Wasp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 09:08 AM
tony135420

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundinisagod View Post
Maybe I should downgrade that slightly to 'Kaberle on steroids' or 'North American Kaberle'...I'm using Kaberle pre head injury when he was an ace. I see Gardiner as having a similar skillset and poise to Kaberle, but in a bigger, stronger body. As of this moment, I project Gardiner to be more of a great complimentary #2...lacks the booming point shot presence that Kaberle lacked as well, if he can develop an effective point shot then he can be a #1. I don't wanna cap this guy to just #2 because he is such an incredible skater and has good vision.
More like Bryan Berard with better hockey IQ and patience (I was going to say vision, but thought that would be in bad taste lol).He's been much more comfortable recently in his own zone as well.

Funny thing is, I'm so used to seeing how poised he is carrying the puck, that when I see him make a mental error I have to remind myself he's just a rookie.

tony135420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 09:24 AM
Sundinisagod
King Altelius

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony135420 View Post
More like Bryan Berard with better hockey IQ and patience (I was going to say vision, but thought that would be in bad taste lol).He's been much more comfortable recently in his own zone as well.

Funny thing is, I'm so used to seeing how poised he is carrying the puck, that when I see him make a mental error I have to remind myself he's just a rookie.
For Berard, the offence came very naturally but the defensive play was much worse (initially at least)...for Gardiner, dispite some rookie mistakes, the defensive part of the game seems to come more naturally and the offense needs work...I'm still seeing Gardiner as a bigger, stronger, and faster Kaberle. IMHO Berard never displayed the kind of poise and patience that Kaberle and Gardiner are blessed with.

Nice play on words there re Berard's 'vision'

Sundinisagod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 10:00 AM
tony135420

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundinisagod View Post
For Berard, the offence came very naturally but the defensive play was much worse (initially at least)...for Gardiner, dispite some rookie mistakes, the defensive part of the game seems to come more naturally and the offense needs work...I'm still seeing Gardiner as a bigger, stronger, and faster Kaberle. IMHO Berard never displayed the kind of poise and patience that Kaberle and Gardiner are blessed with.

Nice play on words there re Berard's 'vision'
Completely agree that he has similar vision and patience to Kabs, just his skating is so top notch. His stride and willingness to shoot reminds me of Berard, although Berard had a better shot if I remember correctly. Kind of like a Berard, Kaberle hybrid...Beraberle, if you will

His defense has developed very quickly, for sure. Can't wait to see how he looks a couple of years from now. He's, without a doubt, a special player.

tony135420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 10:57 AM
JakeGardiner51

Jake Gardiner is going to be a top ten defensemen in the league. He is just a KID right now and still handles the puck like he's Brian Leetch. Best deal EVER getting him and Lupul for Beauch. Can't wait to watch this kids entire career as a Maple Leaf.

JakeGardiner51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 11:01 AM
zeke
#TeamReimer

If we're going to compare him to all-time greats, the superstar who his skillset most resembles is Niedermayer.

zeke is offline   Reply With Quote