HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Is Mikhail Grabovski a number 1 center?

Old
02-08-2012, 06:55 PM
bunjay

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4evaBlue View Post
Thanks for confirming my suspiction. Whatever good the line does defensively, it's all because of Grabo, and whatever troubles they have is because of everyone else on it. Makes sense.
When they are good, they are good together. When they are poor, Grabovski generally plays better than the other two. His effort is consistent as it gets in the NHL and he is easily the most skilled of the three. He is the one that makes the offense happen, and the same was true last year when all three had career years. The difference is that Grabovski is on pace for the same or better, while the other two have done nothing to show that they're actually that good themselves.

You are making it out like I said things I didn't to distract from the things you said that are blatantly untrue.

Grabovski is not very good at faceoffs (he is average)

Doesn't win puck battles on the boards (he does quite often, and when he doesnt its not for lack of effort like, say, a phil kessel)

Doesnt backcheck as much as Kessel (that one's just laughable, really, Grabovski is a defensively responsible CENTER though I don't suppose you understand the different defensive responsibilities)

Dangles too much in his own zone (is actually one of our most efficient forwards at skating or passing the puck out of the zone)

Quote:
So because we knowingly overpaid Connolly for a stopgap contract that expires next season, we should overpay Grabo for a 4-5 year contract? If he wants UFA type money, he can go to find it there.
See, here is your problem. You don't actually understand what salaries are in the NHL. If he signs an extension, it doesn't mean we get him cheap. He is going to unrestricted free agency. If we sign him before then, it will be with a competitive offer. Let's look around the league, shall we?

Plekanec $5 mil until 2016

Carter $5.45 mil until he grows old and dies

Derek Roy $4 mil for 6 years

Bergeron $5 mil for 3 years after $4.5 mil for 5

Pavelski $4 mil for 4 years

Ribeiro $5 mil for 5 years

Backes $4.5 mil for 5 years

And I'm not even listing overpaid players to try and skew the numbers.

bunjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 07:30 PM
SuperSaiyanBeastmode

grabovski is awesome, on pace for 66pts if he played for a whole season, and that's pushing it for a #1. 65+pts is when you start becoming a top line player imo. I think he can play at a top level until he's 33ish, I wouldn't expect to him to be this amazing for that long, and I don't mind because he plays the right way.

SuperSaiyanBeastmode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 08:48 PM
AvroArrow

Really hard to say...he's easily a top 2 center...could be a top line centre but i wouldnt put him among the elites (malkin, crosby, datsyuk, toews)

AvroArrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 12:17 PM
darrylsittler27

Not on a championship team.

I like Grabo and he probably is worth $4.5 just because thats what 4th line center Connolly makes,great signing..not!Burke raised Grabos value himself by overpaying others.I mean based on Komi,Franson will want 4 million easy!On a championship team he would be a very good number 2 center.But I dont see him as in the top 20 centers in the league.

darrylsittler27 is online now   Reply With Quote