HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Flyers Revisiting Schenn

Old
02-09-2012, 11:08 AM
Guy Boucher

vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by Science View Post
Second: You know that JVR guy? 2 days ago reports were that he was "still having headaches/no timetable." This morning, they're saying he might play tonight. Peculiar to any of you?
Well, he's gotta meet his future employers.

Guy Boucher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 11:31 AM
daveleaf

vCash: 500
I like Luke! If the Flyers really want him and Sutter is off the market I can see either one of Couterier or JVR. Flyers will say too much but that is what the value is. I would rather take Couterier and take a run at Parise in the summer.

daveleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 11:44 AM
PJStock*

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveleaf View Post
I like Luke! If the Flyers really want him and Sutter is off the market I can see either one of Couterier or JVR. Flyers will say too much but that is what the value is. I would rather take Couterier and take a run at Parise in the summer.
It will most definitely NOT be Couturier, if it's for Schenn..
JVR for Schenn is already overpayment from the Flyers as it is...

PJStock* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 11:50 AM
Pi

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJStock View Post
Yeah. Definitely. We have so many overpaid veteran players, we just need one overpaid young player to complete the set. So why not grab the 40 point player that will be paid Lupul money (4.25) for the next 6 years to get us 40 points every year!

Pi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 11:54 AM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJStock View Post
No point in trading Schenn for anything less, is there?

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 11:58 AM
Nasty Nazem
The North Remembers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Science View Post
Howdy folks.

First: no Couturier.

Second: You know that JVR guy? 2 days ago reports were that he was "still having headaches/no timetable." This morning, they're saying he might play tonight. Peculiar to any of you?
Could be just a coincidence. I don't think they would risk his health by playing him early or not playing him if he was ready earlier.

Personally, I would want Couturier or Schenn for Luke. We need a potential #1 center, not another winger. Maybe if JVR was a bruising powerforward, I would do it but we do have some skilled wingers and a few that are in AHL (Kadri, Frattin). We don't have a potential #1 center anywhere.

What about a Franson + for JVR?

Nasty Nazem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 12:00 PM
eyeball11

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooleboy View Post
He's canadian...
Born in Arizona but for all intents and purposes Canadian.

eyeball11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 12:00 PM
InTermsOf*

If Burke actually pulled off Coturier for L.Schenn I'd be ecstatic. I can't imagine the Flyers would be interested though, I'm pretty sure they value him quite a bit more than L. Schenn.

But just imagine having him and Colbourne rounding out our centre depth for the next like... decade possibly. Two huge guys (6'5 and 6'4) with great hands, passing, vision - just all around offensive skill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi View Post
Yeah. Definitely. We have so many overpaid veteran players, we just need one overpaid young player to complete the set. So why not grab the 40 point player that will be paid Lupul money (4.25) for the next 6 years to get us 40 points every year!
...you think JVR is a 40 point player? Maybe right at this moment, but his ceiling is clearly much higher. Burkie is going to look at the big picture when evaluating potential trade targets, in the same way that Holmgren isn't going to look at a snapshot of Schenn's season and determine he's just a bottom pairing D-man with no offensive game and an average albeit very physical defensive game.

InTermsOf* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 12:03 PM
zeke
#freewilly

I think Schenn for JVR would be a fair deal. Both quality young talents who have been mediocre so far (with flashes of great) but who both have good (but not great) upside.

But if we're trading Schenn, I'd prefer to use him as the centrepiece in a deal for a player better than JVR.

zeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 12:50 PM
PlietscherDassel

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeke View Post
I think Schenn for JVR would be a fair deal. Both quality young talents who have been mediocre so far (with flashes of great) but who both have good (but not great) upside.

But if we're trading Schenn, I'd prefer to use him as the centrepiece in a deal for a player better than JVR.
Agreed. And i'm a little concerned about the JVR concussion.

PlietscherDassel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 12:56 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
I think you're seriously underselling JVR here and not giving him enough credit.

His future potential is beyond a 40 point player IMO, and his playoffs last year gave us a glimpse of what could be ahead.

Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 01:04 PM
somecut*

Looks like JVR MAY play tonight - ESPN

The trade speculation regarding forward James van Riemsdyk of the Philadelphia Flyers and defenseman Luke Schenn of the Toronto Maple Leafs just became a heckuva lot more interesting.

Frank Seravalli of the Philadelphia Daily News suggests van Riemsdyk could be back in the lineup when the Flyers face the Maple Leafs Thursday. The assumption is forward Harry Zolnierczyk was loaned to AHL Adirondack on Wednesday to clear roster space for the 22-year-old.

Out for the last 11 games with a concussion, van Riemsdyk skated in full practice Wednesday.

As discussed over and over in this space, Leafs GM Brian Burke is allegedly ultra-keen on acquiring van Riemsdyk as a big, top-six forward. While, with Chris Pronger out for the season, Schenn is reportedly top of GM Paul Holmgren's wish list. Uniting the defenseman with his brother, forward Brayden Schenn, would be considered a bonus for the Flyers

If the Philly winger appears healthy -- Thursday or soon thereafter -- we could see this deal go down.

- Victoria Matiash

somecut* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 01:05 PM
IWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by number72 View Post
Lombardi says hi.
Lombardi was the price it took to essentially buy Franson. His recovery was a bonus, but not the main piece coming back.

Last edited by IWD: 02-09-2012 at 01:09 PM. Reason: iPad keeps autocorrecting, resulting in typos
IWD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 01:06 PM
iArts
ಠ_ಠ

"JVR get re-concussed after a hit by Luke Schenn". That would be the end of all speculations.

iArts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 01:11 PM
gabeliscious

Quote:
Originally Posted by iArts View Post
"JVR get re-concussed after a hit by Luke Schenn". That would be the end of all speculations.
not that i would ever wish harm on anyone but i really dont want to trade schenn for jvr.

gabeliscious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 01:29 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabeliscious View Post
not that i would ever wish harm on anyone but i really dont want to trade schenn for jvr.
What is the expected ceiling for both players?

Vaive and Ludzik on collapse, and Phaneuf.
ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 01:33 PM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by somecut View Post
Looks like JVR MAY play tonight - ESPN

The trade speculation regarding forward James van Riemsdyk of the Philadelphia Flyers and defenseman Luke Schenn of the Toronto Maple Leafs just became a heckuva lot more interesting.

Frank Seravalli of the Philadelphia Daily News suggests van Riemsdyk could be back in the lineup when the Flyers face the Maple Leafs Thursday. The assumption is forward Harry Zolnierczyk was loaned to AHL Adirondack on Wednesday to clear roster space for the 22-year-old.

Out for the last 11 games with a concussion, van Riemsdyk skated in full practice Wednesday.

As discussed over and over in this space, Leafs GM Brian Burke is allegedly ultra-keen on acquiring van Riemsdyk as a big, top-six forward. While, with Chris Pronger out for the season, Schenn is reportedly top of GM Paul Holmgren's wish list. Uniting the defenseman with his brother, forward Brayden Schenn, would be considered a bonus for the Flyers

If the Philly winger appears healthy -- Thursday or soon thereafter -- we could see this deal go down.

- Victoria Matiash
I don't think JVR is playing tonight. They held a practice this morning and he was one of the few players not there. Him and Bryz I believe weren't there. I would be shocked if he played tonight without taking the morning skate. Frank Seravalli also thought Reemer was back because we sent Harry Z back down, which isn't necessarily the truth. Instead of Harry Z sitting in the press box like he has recently, Flyers most likely want to get him some playing time in the AHL. He could end up playing but by the looks of it right now he won't be out there. Anything can change though.

Last edited by Prongo: 02-09-2012 at 01:38 PM.
Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 01:35 PM
Gatorade*

Sure sounds like Schenn wants to get traded.

Gatorade* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 01:36 PM
PJStock*

Quote:
When JVR is putting up 60-70 points within the next 2 seasons, I'm sure you will be backtracking quite quickly.

PJStock* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 01:38 PM
hockeyfanz

If Brian Burke trades Luke Schenn to anybody and its not as part of a bigger deal that would return a much needed top line C, I'd say he is a FRAUD. Otherwise, keep Luke Schenn. I don't believe for one second that Burke would deal Schenn for JVR.

Possibly Aulie + Kadri however....that I could see.

hockeyfanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 01:39 PM
number72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drur93 View Post
Lombardi was the price it took to essentially buy Franson. His recovery was a bonus, but not the main piece coming back.
Waive Lebda and place him in the AHL. The truth is Burke didn't want to "admit" that he made a huge mistake by signing Lebda. Anything else is smoke and mirrors and distraction.

number72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 02:35 PM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
Originally Posted by number72 View Post
Waive Lebda and place him in the AHL. The truth is Burke didn't want to "admit" that he made a huge mistake by signing Lebda. Anything else is smoke and mirrors and distraction.
Why pay the rest of Lebda's contract when Nashville would take it?

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 02:36 PM
Donato
#BarSouth

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDaveBrown View Post
As a Flyers fan who follows and like the Maple Leafs, I am imploring my Maple Leaf Brothers to give us Aulie for cheap and we can deal JVR and one of the untouchables or add a draft pick or two for Schenn and Aulie. The Leafs would get JVR, a strong prospect from the AHL Phantoms and draft pick.
Or.. you give us JVR and Couturier.

Donato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 02:37 PM
DirtyDion03
**** Brooklyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorade View Post
Sure sounds like Schenn wants to get traded.
Elaborate, please.

DirtyDion03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 02:48 PM
number72

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK View Post
Why pay the rest of Lebda's contract when Nashville would take it?
This is circular logic.

The first comment was "no GM" would ever trade for a concussed player in regards to JVR. To which I pointed out Lombardi was acquired by the leafs.

Someone else chimed in that Lombardi was the price it took to get buy Franson.

To which I pointed out that Lebda could be waived to the AHL and the team could have 3.5M of cap space (and now what turns out to be a conditional 4th rd pick) to acquire another defender if we need to in place of acquiring a concussed player.

So back to the original comment it appears that GM do trade for concussed players when they are trying to get rid of mistakes they made.

number72 is offline   Reply With Quote