HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Ray Whitney to STL

Old
02-09-2012, 12:12 PM
SirPaste

vCash: 50
Ray Whitney to STL

I understand that the Yotes are still in the hunt for the playoffs but IF they start to fade in the next couple weeks would he become available? And if so what would the price be?

SirPaste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 12:31 PM
hbk

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirPaste View Post
I understand that the Yotes are still in the hunt for the playoffs but IF they start to fade in the next couple weeks would he become available? And if so what would the price be?
Phoenix is looking for forwards with top line potential. If you are talking draft picks then the bidding likely starts at a 1st rounder. Whitney is having an amazing season and while some might scoff at the 1st for a rental price, this is is one player where I think there will be several teams who are willing to pay that price. That being said, Phoenix would place a higher premium on a forward prospect over a 1st round pick as this draft is heavily skewed towards D and that is one position where they are sitting fairly pretty. A young player with top 6 potential for Whitney an a 3rd round pick (to partially offset the rental aspect of the deal) is something that I could see Maloney working on.

hbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 12:38 PM
kimzey59

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbk View Post
Phoenix is looking for forwards with top line potential. If you are talking draft picks then the bidding likely starts at a 1st rounder. Whitney is having an amazing season and while some might scoff at the 1st for a rental price, this is is one player where I think there will be several teams who are willing to pay that price. That being said, Phoenix would place a higher premium on a forward prospect over a 1st round pick as this draft is heavily skewed towards D and that is one position where they are sitting fairly pretty. A young player with top 6 potential for Whitney an a 3rd round pick (to partially offset the rental aspect of the deal) is something that I could see Maloney working on.
He's certainly not top line quality, but any interest in Matt D'Agostini and a 3rd as the base for a Whitney trade?

kimzey59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 12:39 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Quote:
Can't see Schwartz being traded, Rattie is a possibility, and McRae probably wouldn't interest you enough.

How does Whitney play on the PP? Would he be able to significantly help our PP?

bleedblue1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 12:40 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimzey59 View Post
He's certainly not top line quality, but any interest in Matt D'Agostini and a 3rd as the base for a Whitney trade?
I would imagine it would have to be at least Dags and a 2nd.

Old
02-09-2012, 12:43 PM
SteenMachine

While I doubt Tarasenko or Schwartz would be available because they have the potential to fill in for top 6 roster players with ELC.

I could see the 1st being available should Armstrong decide to become a buyer this season. There's a lot of reasons to assume he won't as of right now though, including his own comments.

I could also see Rattie looking expendable considering our RW depth (and that most of the current RW are fairly young for NHLers), or Lethera if Phoenix felt like they could give him a solid shot at the NHL if he was willing to develop his skating a bit more.

Obviously any of the 2nd tier prospects would require a bit of a package, or maybe some of our bottom 6 depth to balance things out.

SteenMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 12:46 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteenMachine View Post
While I doubt Tarasenko or Schwartz would be available because they have the potential to fill in for top 6 roster players with ELC.

I could see the 1st being available should Armstrong decide to become a buyer this season. There's a lot of reasons to assume he won't as of right now though, including his own comments.

I could also see Rattie looking expendable considering our RW depth (and that most of the current RW are fairly young for NHLers), or Lethera if Phoenix felt like they could give him a solid shot at the NHL if he was willing to develop his skating a bit more.

Obviously any of the 2nd tier prospects would require a bit of a package, or maybe some of our bottom 6 depth to balance things out.
I would be interested to know what Armstrong thinks of Rattie because he would definitely be a prospect that would make a trade for Whitney possible.

Old
02-09-2012, 12:48 PM
hbk

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteenMachine View Post

Dags is likely a bottom 6 guy but the 2nd + Dags isn't a horrible offer but I suspect there could be a better offer out there.

Rattie or the St. Louis 1st are probably more attractive options. I agree that the Tarasenko's and Schwartz's would be off the table. I wonder if there are some current young prospects already on the parent club who's next RFA contract might cause the Blues to move that asset.

In regards to Whitney and the PP. Phoenix's PP is horrific this year but Whitney is an offensive catalyst. He's the key player offensively on the team.

I would not be shocked to see Maloney sign Whitney to a multi-year extension rather than go the rental route as well. He's that well regarded right now in Phoenix.

hbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 12:53 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Quote:
Dags is likely a bottom 6 guy but the 2nd + Dags isn't a horrible offer but I suspect there could be a better offer out there.

Rattie or the St. Louis 1st are probably more attractive options.

In regards to Whitney and the PP. Phoenix's PP is horrific this year but Whitney is an offensive catalyst. He's the key player offensively on the team.

I would not be shocked to see Maloney sign Whitney to a multi-year extension rather than go the rental route as well. He's that well regarded right now in Phoenix.
Trade him to us and sign him in the offseason like we did with Tkachuk and Weight, we'd really appreciate it.

That's what I thought about him and the PP, he is your version of McDonald.

If he is available, I would imagine a lot of teams would be interested, but he would really be one of the few options that we would actually pursue.

Old
02-09-2012, 12:53 PM
SteenMachine

Until we get McDonald back in the line up an offensive catalyst is what our scoring needs most. I feel like the guys who struggle are in the limbo of not trying hard enough because their confidence is down and trying too hard to make plays they're not comfortable or consistent with and it looks like poor judgement / bad effort. If they could focus on what they do best and let a guy who can distribute and control the pace of the play handle the puck they'd regain that effectiveness.

SteenMachine is offline   Reply With Quote