HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

"I know where heís going even though I donít look."

Old
02-09-2012, 01:14 PM
joshjull

vCash: 500
"I know where heís going even though I donít look."

From Bill Hoppe's twitter page

Quote:
#Sabres Ville Leino on playing with Jason Pominville: "I know where heís going even though I donít look."

Have we finally found the right player for Leino to play with?

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 01:16 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
A similar quote when Ville had the seeing-eye pass to Poms early in the year. I wonder if they try Vanek-Leino-Pominville finally when Tom gets back.

It also shows how well Pominville meshes with just about everyone.

02-09-2012, 01:18 PM
Myllz
Pavelski Lite

Was Leino playing center last night? I didn't watch the game, just the highlights. If he was, I'd be pretty shocked if Lindy didn't put Vanek on their wing when he gets back.

Myllz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 01:20 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myllz View Post
Was Leino playing center last night? I didn't watch the game, just the highlights. If he was, I'd be pretty shocked if Lindy didn't put Vanek on their wing when he gets back.
He was on LW and Roy was the center

Old
02-09-2012, 01:24 PM
Sabreality

sounds like somebody is campaigning...and i agree with keeping that line together.

Sabreality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 01:24 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
A similar quote when Ville had the seeing-eye pass to Poms early in the year. I wonder if they try Vanek-Leino-Pominville finally when Tom gets back.

It would be interesting to see how that would work out. Many have argued Vanek has taken off without Roy because he touches the puck so much more without him on the line. But Leino would be on the puck far more than Roy ever was.

Old
02-09-2012, 01:29 PM
captaincrunch89

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
From Bill Hoppe's twitter page

Have we finally found the right player for Leino to play with?
I've noticed their chemistry whenever they have hit the ice together actually, no chance they get separated IMO. Pommer has such good instincts about getting in the right place at the right time and Ville is a very instinctual playmaker, it just works.

captaincrunch89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 01:31 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
It would be interesting to see how that would work out. Many have argued Vanek has taken off without Roy because he touches the puck so much more without him on the line. But Leino would be on the puck far more than Roy ever was.
Vanek seems to be succeeding more because he's shooting more and also moving it faster -- when he hurt his hand last year, it picked up his speed in making the play rather than trying to endlessly dangle everyone. Letting the puck do the work and then moving to the openings gets him open for more shots. I think Leino's ability to be Hecht-like along the wall, that ability to be sticky when the puck is around, and then find guys in prime scoring areas, might work. It's not like Tom has to go full Afinogenov to generate his chances.

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 01:56 PM
CrankyJay

Quote:

He is Ruff's ultimate system guy. Would love to see a guy like him on every line.

CrankyJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 02:01 PM
Play4Miracles*
1 nation under Oil

sounds like that fabled team chemistry thing is finally taking root this season. let's hope it blooms into a beautiful tree of sweet wins from now until the end of June. Or, they can burn it down and let new roots blossom in the draft. Either way, is fine, so long as they go to the extreme in either direction.

Play4Miracles* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 02:05 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Vanek seems to be succeeding more because he's shooting more and also moving it faster -- when he hurt his hand last year, it picked up his speed in making the play rather than trying to endlessly dangle everyone. Letting the puck do the work and then moving to the openings gets him open for more shots. I think Leino's ability to be Hecht-like along the wall, that ability to be sticky when the puck is around, and then find guys in prime scoring areas, might work. It's not like Tom has to go full Afinogenov to generate his chances.
I didn't mean that. The working theory from some was if he (Vanek) was the one the offense went through it got him more involved and he played better. Their arguement was that Roy was an impediment to that. My comments weren't so much directed at your post as they were at those posters and how they might react to a Vanek/Leino/Pommer line. If they're consistant, they shouldn't want Leino centering Vanek either for the same reasons they didn't want Roy to center him.

My take is I think the line would be fine and Vanek would be more than capable to adapt to Leino at center. But I do like the idea of Vanek with Ennis to hopefully create two scoring lines we can rely on.

Probably shouldn't have used your post as the jumping off point for that debate.

Old
02-09-2012, 02:15 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
I didn't mean that. The working theory from some was if he (Vanek) was the one the offense went through it got him more involved and he played better. Their arguement was that Roy was an impediment to that. My comments weren't so much directed at your post as they were at those posters and how they might react to a Vanek/Leino/Pommer line. If they're consistant, they shouldn't want Leino centering Vanek either for the same reasons they didn't want Roy to center him.

My take is I think the line would be fine and Vanek would be more than capable to adapt to Leino at center. But I do like the idea of Vanek with Ennis to hopefully create two scoring lines we can rely on.

Probably shouldn't have used your post as the jumping off point for that debate.
Ah, ok, that makes sense. I'd like to see what those three could do with a puck-possession shift. The idea of them running a low triangle on teams and breaking down one side of the defense since they can all pass and protect the puck, and two have top notch release? Appealling.

But Ennis being the guy to drive guys off the blueline could harken back to Max doing that for Vanek earlier in Tom's career. Let the waterbug dance in, get into the lane and get ready for the pass.

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 02:17 PM
dkollidas

I think trying Vanek-Leino-Pominville makes sense. It does seems like Pominville makes those who play with him better. And Leino could use a guy like that to mesh with. I wouldn't touch the Gerbe-Ennis-Stafford line, they've been playing great, we need one line that can. I would then put Adam-Roy-Boyes on the third line to give us 3 quality scoring lines, and the. McCormick-Gaustad-Kaleta on the 4th line.

dkollidas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 02:28 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Leino also looks to get the puck to his linemates, where as derek looks to shoot.

Jame is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 02:30 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkollidas View Post
I think trying Vanek-Leino-Pominville makes sense. It does seems like Pominville makes those who play with him better. And Leino could use a guy like that to mesh with. I wouldn't touch the Gerbe-Ennis-Stafford line, they've been playing great, we need one line that can. I would then put Adam-Roy-Boyes on the third line to give us 3 quality scoring lines, and the. McCormick-Gaustad-Kaleta on the 4th line.

It may make more sense to try and establish two scoring lines. I think Vanek/Ennis could be a deadly combo.

Old
02-09-2012, 02:30 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:

from this i gather that you actually think leino and roy are very similar players.

Last edited by joshjull: 02-09-2012 at 02:36 PM. Reason: enough with the personal attacks
Old
02-09-2012, 02:32 PM
Jame
Dream '16

i definitely like the idea of vanek-leino-poms

suggesting breaking up vanek and poms after the production they've demonstrated over the last 100+ games is completely Ruffian.
but to do it after a half dozen successful games of another combo...

Old
02-09-2012, 02:36 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
Leino also looks to get the puck to his linemates, where as derek looks to shoot.
I agree

Quote:
from this i gather that you actually think leino and roy are very similar players.

Only in that they both like to have the puck on their stick.

Last edited by joshjull: 02-09-2012 at 02:44 PM.
Old
02-09-2012, 02:40 PM
joshjull

Quote:
i definitely like the idea of vanek-leino-poms

suggesting breaking up vanek and poms after the production they've demonstrated over the last 100+ games is completely Ruffian.
but to do it after a half dozen successful games of another combo...
Considering Ruff's stubborness to break up combos that work. It would not be "Ruffian" to try Vanek/Pommer apart. His love affair with Hecht/Pommer is why it took Roy getting injured and Vanek needing someone to play with for Vanek/Pommer to get put together. Its amazing that it took 3.5 season after the captains left to try them together.

Why can't Vanek play on another line? Whats the big deal? If it doesn't work you can just put them back together.

Old
02-09-2012, 02:48 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Considering Ruff's stubborness to break up combos that work. It would not be "Ruffian" to try Vanek/Pommer apart. His love affair with Hecht/Pommer is why it took Roy getting injured and Vanek needing someone to play with for Vanek/Pommer to get put together. Its amazing that it took 3.5 season after the captains left to try them together.

Why can't Vanek play on another line? Whats the big deal? If it doesn't work you can just put them back together.
there's no reason to play vanek on another line right now

thats why...

vanek-leino-poms
gerbe-ennis-stafford
adam-roy-boyes (line useless )

Old
02-09-2012, 02:48 PM
Ghills23

Leino has been struggling all year to find chemistry on this team. He's finally found it and I don't think it should be broken up at this point. Nor do I think Leino should be forced back in the middle.

Vanek is talented enough to perform without Pominville where Leino would likely struggle to find chemistry once again.

With the way Ennis is playing in the middle I'd put Vanek with him.
I think you roll the lines as follows.

Leino-Roy-Pominville
Vanek-Ennis-Stafford
Gerbe-Gaustad-Kaleta
McCormick-Adam-Boyes

Ghills23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 03:10 PM
BuzzKillington90

Leino-Roy-Pominville
Vanek-Ennis-Stafford
Gerbe-Gaustad-Kaleta
McCormick-Adam-Boyes

This. All day long.

BuzzKillington90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 03:57 PM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Ultimate campaign. While his play has improved, this is him trying to dictate his linemate(s). Why does this bother me? It shouldn't.

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 03:59 PM
SilverNitro23

Pominville had chemistry with Briere earlier in his career. Leino did as well, so I'm not surprised that they'd mesh well.

If only we still had Briere to center them both...

SilverNitro23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 04:18 PM
Timbo Slice
Tank Nation

I don't care if we have to take Vanek off of Pom's line if it means keeping Leino with Pominville. He may finally have found the right combination of comfort and talent to earn that contract.

Timbo Slice is offline   Reply With Quote